LTH Home

Going to the UP

Going to the UP
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - July 14th, 2022, 8:07 am
    Post #91 - July 14th, 2022, 8:07 am Post #91 - July 14th, 2022, 8:07 am
    Puckjam wrote:Drove to the Copper Country yesterday (where I grew up). Took a circular route in order to visit an old friend on the way. That brought me through Marinette and a couple of double cheeseburgers from Mickey-Lu's. Unique and top notch. I grew up picking those strawberries back in the late 60's and early 70's. Record was 124 quarts in one morning. They are special. Glad you noticed.

I'm going to check if the berry truck is still there later today. It was just outside (west) of Marquette. If they are not there, I might take a trip to one of the strawberry farms in that whole Copper Country area on Saturday, just for something interesting to do. If you have a farm suggestion, I'm all ears. Those freekin berries are fantastic. I'm kinda hoping I don't have to drive the whole way up from where I am (Gwinn,) I assume there will be roadside stands, but I've learned from previous roadside blueberry purchases, that you have to be sure of the product. Kinda sounds like something illegal, I know - lol. The ones yesterday were 5.50 a quart for 8 or more quarts, 6.00 quart for less. I'm guessing they were a touch cheaper back in the day?
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #92 - July 15th, 2022, 6:51 am
    Post #92 - July 15th, 2022, 6:51 am Post #92 - July 15th, 2022, 6:51 am
    seebee wrote:I'm going to check if the berry truck is still there later today. It was just outside (west) of Marquette. If they are not there, I might take a trip to one of the strawberry farms in that whole Copper Country area on Saturday, just for something interesting to do. If you have a farm suggestion, I'm all ears. Those freekin berries are fantastic. I'm kinda hoping I don't have to drive the whole way up from where I am (Gwinn,) I assume there will be roadside stands...

Score!
    I found a roadside stand MUCH closer that has the goods. 6 bux a quart for a flat or more. I talked with my mother in law last night about these berries, she agreed with me that the strawberries are more special than the blueberries. These strawberries are a different breed. The blueberries up here taste like blueberry candy SHOULD taste. The strawberries taste like homemade strawberry jam, but with a hint of sweet strawberry flower, nothing over the top floral, but just enough to make you say "whoah!" (and then eat 20 more.)
    It's gonna be a strawberry shortcake dessert wknd up in here.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #93 - August 2nd, 2022, 7:00 am
    Post #93 - August 2nd, 2022, 7:00 am Post #93 - August 2nd, 2022, 7:00 am
    Shaping up to be a banner year for the wild blueberries up here. We've been picking a few hours at a time in one spot, and haven't even scratched the surface. I'm thinking we have at least 50 cups already. We're trying to organize a whole family "all hands on deck" picking meet-up in the next few days because the amount in this one area is enough to supply our three small connected families for the entire year until next season. After we get our fill, THEN we'll share the spot with the extended family, so they can get their fill.

It's SERIOUS business. No games played.

I also saw someone selling thimbleberries for 30 bux/lb in Baraga through a FB Mktplace posting.

We've also been hitting Friday fish fries in the area - post coming.
  • Post #94 - August 3rd, 2022, 6:20 am
    Post #94 - August 3rd, 2022, 6:20 am Post #94 - August 3rd, 2022, 6:20 am
    I don't know if you ever had the wild strawberries up there. The big ones may be the size of your little fingernail. Takes a while to get a bunch but whoa...... that taste is incredible.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more