LTH Home

The 22nd Annual Big Apple Barbecue Block Party

The 22nd Annual Big Apple Barbecue Block Party
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - August 14th, 2007, 9:41 pm
    Post #31 - August 14th, 2007, 9:41 pm Post #31 - August 14th, 2007, 9:41 pm
    YourPalWill wrote:Now, that's a damn catering duo there, Doc. Norma Jean is one of the finest southern cooks in New York City as well as one of the nicest and most gracious people I have ever met. And, Ed, well, Ed's a pit legend though he ain't much of a business legend.

I had quite a bit of experience with Ed 10-12 years ago. But, I don't have any current contact info for him. I bet Norma Jean could help you out.

Norma is great and so gracious its unbelievable - but its the stuff she makes for catering gigs that really impresses me - much moreso than the food at the restaurant. If you ever get a chance to look at her catering menus, or better yet get a chance to taste from them, it will blow you away.

thanks for the help.
  • Post #32 - August 14th, 2007, 9:44 pm
    Post #32 - August 14th, 2007, 9:44 pm Post #32 - August 14th, 2007, 9:44 pm
    YourPalWill wrote:I had quite a bit of experience with Ed 10-12 years ago. But, I don't have any current contact info for him. I bet Norma Jean could help you out.

I used to be in touch with him at least once annually but I took two years off to travel around the world and all of the contact info I had is somewhere in a storage locker waiting to be unpacked, throw in the fact that Ed never seems to stay in one place long and he's a hard man ot find - but man can he bbq!
  • Post #33 - June 14th, 2022, 1:55 pm
    Post #33 - June 14th, 2022, 1:55 pm Post #33 - June 14th, 2022, 1:55 pm
    YourPalWill wrote:Be sure to try Ed Mitchell's. he does an outrageously good eatern NC whole style Hog.

Some of you know that I work for a bank handling troubled loans. About ten years ago, i was doing the same for a bank down in North Carolina and ed was one of the customers that I was working with. At the time, he had a really small operation and was having trouble paying us.

The word came down that I had to do the evil deed: hop on an airplane and go shut Ed down because he couln't pay. I arrived on the little US Air puddle jumper one afternoon and went to meet with Ed. During the course of our dour meeting, he offered me lunch from his steam table.

After sampling that Marvelous Que, I promptly returned to Charlotte, reported to my boss that there was nothing of substance there to liquidate, so we took a write off.

Ed and his marvelous que stayed in business for many years. He's become a bit of an institution over the past five years and is recongized as one of NC's best barbequers of whole hog.

I guess that's the day i really figured out that I was a real chowhound.

(Ed Mitchell) North Carolina’s best-known pitmaster is heading to the national Barbecue Hall of Fame
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more