LTH Home

Peoria, IL

Peoria, IL
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 4
  • Peoria, IL

Post #1 - August 24th, 2010, 6:04 pm
    Post #1 - August 24th, 2010, 6:04 pm Post #1 - August 24th, 2010, 6:04 pm
    After Latham, NY, biggest opening in company history, I'm training Peoria next week. Ten years in Chicago and I know Springfield southwards, but never visited Peoria. Peoria resonates Pinkwater-esque in my mind, somehow...
    ...sentient African earthworms, werewolves, pastrami...

Beyond the undeniably superfantastic uberwelt that must be Peoria, IL...are there any eateries, ye olde hamburguese shoppes, boiled goat's head gas stations, kim chee graveyards, all nude NY slice penny arcades, torta cum gyro Check into Cash macrobiotic Mandarin palaces signs rusted, rust iridescing in the Midwestern gloaming?

hilfen mich an?
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #2 - August 24th, 2010, 8:13 pm
    Post #2 - August 24th, 2010, 8:13 pm Post #2 - August 24th, 2010, 8:13 pm
    ah for naught with any aid. My daughter went to Bradley for four years, no food I would write home about. I did find Avanti's bread decent, it is different than anything you ever tasted, no salt I believe. Peoria is no decent dining zone. Plenty of Jimmy Johns, yuck. Might of changed though, I searched this forum and others when my daughter attended the University, did not find ANYTHING decent. 2 years ago though, hope it improved.
  • Post #3 - August 24th, 2010, 8:22 pm
    Post #3 - August 24th, 2010, 8:22 pm Post #3 - August 24th, 2010, 8:22 pm
    June
    4450 N. Prospect Road, Ste. S1
    Peoria Heights, IL 61616

GAF wrote a lovely review a while back. It's probably beyond the approved expense account dinner budget but what the hell--when in Peoria, right?
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #4 - August 25th, 2010, 3:35 pm
    Post #4 - August 25th, 2010, 3:35 pm Post #4 - August 25th, 2010, 3:35 pm
    If you are downtown try the food carts on the courthouse square for lunch. Most are nothing special but one with the porkchop sandwich is really very good. He used to be on Adams street just across Main from Caterpillar's headquarters.

The only other interesting and above average place I found was:

PEORIA HOFBRAU
    2210 NE Jefferson Ave
    Peoria, IL 61603
    (309) 686-9739

Lots of imported beer and well prepared German food. I never had anything that wasn't good but the smoked prokchops were outstanding.
  • Post #5 - August 25th, 2010, 7:04 pm
    Post #5 - August 25th, 2010, 7:04 pm Post #5 - August 25th, 2010, 7:04 pm
    It has been too long since I was there for me to say anything definite, but my son spent 4 months in Peoria in 2006, working in an office in a fairly dumpy shopping mall at the corner of W. Main and N. University. Right across the street are a Vietnamese restaurant and an Indian restaurant. We ate at the Indian place when we visited, and thought it was surprisingly good; we live near Devon and eat on Devon regularly, and at the time, this restaurant could have made it on Devon, not as a star, but certainly as a decent place to get Indian food. My son ate occasionally at the Vietnamese place, and thought it was quite decent; I won't claim he had any great familiarity with Vietnamese food, but I imagine the food was at least reasonably good. No idea, of course, what has happened to either of these places since then, but they are worth checking out if you are going to be there. I verified that they both still exist, although no idea if the ownership is the same.

My son was working for a political campaign and mostly ate cold pizza and cookies for four months; but being 19, he nevertheless survived the experience.
  • Post #6 - August 26th, 2010, 12:41 am
    Post #6 - August 26th, 2010, 12:41 am Post #6 - August 26th, 2010, 12:41 am
    We visit Peoria once a year and find the Vietnamese restaurant to be pretty decent and the most interesting of the places that we've tried in Peoria proper. Peoria Heights is supposed to have more good places, but I can't comment as I haven't been.

Thanh Linh Vietnamese
    1223 West Main Street
    Peoria, IL 61606-1254
  • Post #7 - August 26th, 2010, 4:03 pm
    Post #7 - August 26th, 2010, 4:03 pm Post #7 - August 26th, 2010, 4:03 pm
    Peoria has a lot of very solid restaurants for a city this size. I'm not sure anything would really blow you away, but you won't have to eat at chains, either.

In my opinion, PV II, which I've mentioned here previously, is the best, most consistent upscale place in the city. They are an Italian place, but it's not really the traditional kind of red sauce joint. Their pink sauces and rolled pasta dishes are excellent. They're family run by a really nice young couple who are really doing a great job. They don't have the best wine list, but it's decent, and Thursdays are half price bottles with 2 entrees.

Jim's Bistro in the Heights serves very solid aged steaks, roast chicken, and other comfort type dishes. It's fairly casual, and you'll get great service.

Thanh Linh is the Vietnamese place on Main by Bradley. Their pho is outstanding. On Saturdays they have an excellent spicy soup. After wards go and check out the Asian market a couple of doors down, next to the Indian place. I forget the name of the Indian place because it recently changed hands and it's name, but it too is very good. I've only been there once, but I really enjoyed the lunch buffet.

One World Cafe, on the corner of Main and University, is an excellent casual, eclectic spot. They started out as a tiny coffee shop and have expanded several times over the years. They have nice vegetarian options, good homemade pizzas, and an excellent Cuban pork sandwich. The Cuban pork isn't pressed, and it isn't served with smoked ham like you you typically think of, but the pork is succulent and served with a nice spicy mustard sauce.

Kelleher's has decent traditional Irish fare, but it's really a cool spot that used to be a warehouse. They have about 20 beers on draft including some higher end stuff from Dogfishhead, Lagunitas, Rogue, and others. They have a really nice Irish Whiskey selection and a nice outdoor patio, too. Waterstreet Wine Bar is next door to Kelleher's and serves outstanding bistro classics like braised lamb shank, duck, and short ribs.

El Mexicano is a little dive on Adams St. on the near north side. Their tacos are very authentic. You can get them gringo style or with onion and cilantro, which is what I prefer. The pork and tongue are the best options.

The pork chop stand that has already been mentioned is Willie's Tamales, though they only have tamales on Fridays. There is an entire thread on this forum about Willie's place in Sparland. Their pork chop sandwiches are awesome.

Pita's Mediterranean Wraps has the best gyros in the city by far. They make their own bread fresh in their hearth every day. Not sure if it's actually made fresh to order or not. They do really good flats, falafel, baba ganoush, and hummus as well.

I haven't provided that much detail, but I'll try to answer any questions that you may have. We have a lot of other good options, too, but I've only mentioned some of the places in my regular rotation. I'd back up what was stated about Hofbrau, too. It's really a fun place to go, and one of my favorites as well. It's just a bit north of El Mexicano. They have fantastic lunch specials.

PV II
    (309) 691-3340
    Peoria
    8305 N Allen Rd Ste 2
    Peoria, IL 61615

Jim's Bistro
    4612 North Prospect Road
    Peoria Heights, IL 61616
    (309) 682-9219

Thanh Linh Vietnamese
    1223 West Main Street
    Peoria, IL 61606-1254
    (309) 495-0179

Kelleher's Irish Pub & Eatery
    619 Southwest Water Street
    Peoria, IL 61602-5114
    (309) 673-6000

One World
    1245 West Main Street
    Peoria, IL 61606
    (309) 672-1522

El Mexicano
    1520 Northeast Jefferson Avenue
    Peoria, IL 61603-3469
    (309) 636-8858

Hofbrau Restaurant Peoria
    2210 Northeast Jefferson Avenue
    Peoria, IL 61603-2953
    (309) 686-9739

Water Street Wines Cafe & Coffees
    100 State Street
    Peoria, IL 61602
    (309) 966-4246

Pita's Mediterranean Wraps
    8831 North Knoxville Avenue
    Peoria, IL 61615-1722
    (309) 691-9727
  • Post #8 - August 26th, 2010, 6:44 pm
    Post #8 - August 26th, 2010, 6:44 pm Post #8 - August 26th, 2010, 6:44 pm
    You really should visit June in Peoria Heights at least once. One can order a la carte as well as ordering a tasting menu. Appetizers are in the $8-16, entrees $26-32, and desserts $8-12, so a three course meal should come in within budget. Of course, if you can afford the full tasting menu, it certainly is worthwhile.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #9 - August 26th, 2010, 9:07 pm
    Post #9 - August 26th, 2010, 9:07 pm Post #9 - August 26th, 2010, 9:07 pm
    Thank you all for the rec's.

June is at the top of my list followed by Thanh Linh and the unexpected plethora.

Since I've already heard one co-worker espouse, "Look! Googlemaps shows the hotel is right by Ruby Tuesdays!" (she's a wonderful person outside of that slip)...I might be striking out on my own. Of course given my schedule; for the New York opening I was working 5AM to midnight except for the 29 hr. shift I pulled...Ruby Tuesdays starts to sound like haute cuisine.

We'll see.
  • Post #10 - August 31st, 2010, 5:01 pm
    Post #10 - August 31st, 2010, 5:01 pm Post #10 - August 31st, 2010, 5:01 pm
    I grew up in Peoria, and still make it back every once in a while. I'm going to add my voice for the dining scene in Peoria Heights--I like Paparazzi and Seven on Prospect.

My family that still lives there complains there is no decent pizza or dessert to be had.
  • Post #11 - September 2nd, 2010, 7:00 pm
    Post #11 - September 2nd, 2010, 7:00 pm Post #11 - September 2nd, 2010, 7:00 pm
    I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendations for June and Jim's Bistro. Jim's has great steaks -- and they make a great burger, too.

For pizza, locals love Agatucci's, and there's also a big Monical's following. Both are good, but my heart belongs to Agatucci's.

Agatucci's Pizza
    2607 N University St, Peoria, IL 61604-2640
    (309) 688-8200

Monical's
    4408 N. Knoxville,
    Peoria, IL 61614
    (309) 688-0747

For quick eats, there's a place called Avanti's that makes a sandwich called the "gondola." Gondolas are made on Avanti's own bread, which has a unique, slightly sweet taste to it-- and they're totally addicting. Avanti's has a couple of locations. If you're headed to the Vietnamese restaurant mentioned upthread (which I've never been to, unfortunately), then you'd want Avanti's "Campustown" location near Bradley.

Avanti's Restaurant
    1301 W Main St
    Peoria, IL 61606
    309-674-4923

If you're closer to Peoria's Northwoods Mall, then this location is best:

Avanti's Restaurant
    4711 N. Rockwood Rd.
    Peoria, IL 61615
    309-688-6565

Finally, if you're in north Peoria, there's this newest Avanti's location:

Avanti's Restaurant
    8517 N. Knoxville Ave.
    Peoria, IL 61614
    309-691-2525

Enjoy!
  • Post #12 - September 2nd, 2010, 7:08 pm
    Post #12 - September 2nd, 2010, 7:08 pm Post #12 - September 2nd, 2010, 7:08 pm
    Yikes - I just realized that the original poster was likely in Peoria this week - not next - as this thread originated last week! Well, I hope all the recommendations came in handy, and if you have a chance to report back, I'd be interested in hearing where and what you ate.
  • Post #13 - September 6th, 2010, 7:47 pm
    Post #13 - September 6th, 2010, 7:47 pm Post #13 - September 6th, 2010, 7:47 pm
    Back from Peoria, thanks for the rec's. Will elucidate findings further in the near future; dined at June twice, first time a la carte, second tasting menu...June rocked my world on so many levels, the perfect antidote to 3 back-to-back store openings. But, beyond that, a decompression, and allowing me to quote the inimitable mid-90's TLC, June offers a crazy, sexy, cool, je ne sais qua.

And Jim's Bistro

and many, many others not worth the mention

more later

seriously, if you can make it to June do so
  • Post #14 - September 8th, 2010, 7:33 pm
    Post #14 - September 8th, 2010, 7:33 pm Post #14 - September 8th, 2010, 7:33 pm
    Blueballs, thank you, LTHforum...everything I wrote, images, passages evoking, collapsing time, brought to an end...blueballs, can you get blueballs from writing abortive food criticism?

It’s fodder, I suppose.

I was entering June. June, I wrote, invoked the Peorian without, eclipsed the vastness of those skies, clouds sanguine, teasing thunderheads, stratocumuli cast as dice upon the same film lot backdrop I admired in Normal a year ago. Another store opening, another town. Another store opening, another town. June’s enfolded, shuttered, smolders, I smoked outside across from the desultory clapboard demesnes when that hot wifebeater-clad fuck stumbled onto his front porch. Burnished in tungsten, he yelled back into a jaundiced clos, “kids git! you git into bed now, hear me now! you git yrselve’s in bed goddamnit!” Hot.

The night settled in, the Pabst Blue Ribbon sign on the warehouse cattycorner erased itself; every semblance of Peoria Heights dissolved until only June and I were left and my cigarette with which I’d managed to keep the wind away.

I’m almost despicable. Peorians, tubes-in-noses, retarded babies, amputees, wheelchairs, wheelchair shopping carts, nurses, retarded babies, cancer, Guitar Center patrons, and no peripheral vision, cancer, retarded babies, cancer, bad tattoos, gender dysphoria, Ben Gay, retarded babies, cancer

Ruby Tuesday’s burned my trout almondine(shut up!) and replaced it with a not-as-burnt trout almondine

Mickie’s Pizza honored my free 7” pizza plus 3 dollar upgrade to salad and soda with a Midwestern thin crust ketchup pizza worth every dollar

At Sushigawa I had an expensive lunch of respectable 4 piece nigiri and endured a way-overdressed midweek luncheon crowd looking askance at my soiled uniform and the visor I tossed nonchalantly across the tabletop. The waitress greeted me with, “You order now! You wan’ sushi, huh!?” Sushibah close soon! You order, okay!? Now!” Sigh.

When I reached for my nigiri with my hands that was just too much.

I got the shits from somewhere near the worst(and slowest)Sonic on Earth. The meth addicts seemed to like it.

Chevy’s offered decent theme margaritas and nachos mere dogfood.

I’ve never liked Panera, and this one satisfied, seriously...context is everything.

I wandered across the parking lots to Kourie’s Pub a few times, enjoyed a great ribeye sandwich(sucky fries though), and generally attentive service. Inevitably, I chillaxed on the extended wraparound patio with a cocktail and a smoke watching the red life insurance lettering on the building above bleed into unintelligibility.

Not everything needs.

I circumnavigated the mall across the way; more parking lots, clouds.

Ate at Panda Express for the first time.

Timed jaywalking, sprinting leisurely inbetween traffic the way warlocks walk between the rain. The rain skies promised. Only wind snatches cigarettes, hurls them a few feet, dashes them across the parking lot where if one blinks they’re missed.

I stood outside June many times. They timed my courses to cigarettes. I smoke too much on openings. Me and the gloaming and the embers and the mostly silent houses across the way; a car or two drives through the bank next door, film threaded back through the projector, Peoria, June, June waxes backwards inhales, invigorates, makes her own skies.
  • Post #15 - September 12th, 2010, 8:54 pm
    Post #15 - September 12th, 2010, 8:54 pm Post #15 - September 12th, 2010, 8:54 pm
    June a la carte:

sazerac: absinthe, Basil Hayden bourbon, Pechyaud bitters,
    chamomile, orange peel, hibiscus.

housemade bread, butter

veal sweetbreads, herbed Parisian gnocchi, baby fennel, pickled fennel, hazelnuts, red ribbon sorrel

Snake River Farms corned wagyu beef tongue, confit fingerling potatoes, Bordeaux spinach, pickled cippolini onions, sauerkraut vinaigrette

Claiborne & Churchill, Pinot Noir
    Edna Valley, California 2007

Dayboat red rock fish, manila clams, fregula, piquillo peppers, baby leeks, Spring Bay Farms Japanese garlic, housemade pancetta, harrisa butter

"Deviation" Andrew Quady

anise hyssop, huckleberry ice creams
    tuscan melon sorbet

June Tasting sans pairings:

old fashioned: muddled orange, lime, cherry, vanilla, bitters, Templeton Rye, club soda

housemade bread, butter

Gioia buratta, amaranth, micro broccoli greens, beetchips, roasted shallots, fig balsamic, Podere Vallari extra virgin olive oil

Dayboat "Mano de Leon" scallops, baby hakurei turnips, carrots, black garlic, foraged matsutaki mushrooms, matsutaki dashi

Dayboat red rock fish, etc(see menu 1) with a complimentary pairing of rose'

Meadow Haven Farms chicken, housemade cotecchino, onion pique, Wieland Farms cranberry beans, cabbage, dried cherry jus

Painted Hills Farm skirt steak, Blue Lake beans, confited chanterelles, truffle-roasted beef fat aioli

they opened three bottles of Arcangelo, Negroamaro for me; all over-fermented

replaced with a perfect valpolicello

dessert courses:

a young tokaij: Chateau Pajzos, Tokaji 1999

Crow Creek Farms Watermelon
    yogurt mousse, espelette pepper,
    heirloom tomato jam, cilantro lime sorbet

Valrohna Chocolate Bread Pudding
    toasted hazelnut ice cream, cocoa nibs

Andrew Quady "essencia"

Tungortok, an Inuit word for blue. The colder blush through my veins, refining the lion's milk I sip from an ocean green glass. Pabst Blue Ribbon, a ghost in a wifebeater berating his kin, kin won't sleep, can't bed down, instead they snuggle, jump up, run about the landing.

I shiver outside June. Each of my cigarettes, puff. Each puff a conflagration. Think the smokes in the dark in Wild at Heart. I remember Wild at Heart that and The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, I was 16? My dad and I had just got back from a tour of Alamagordo and near Houston Channel 13 played trailers for Lynch's new one in the motel room.

It got cold here. Peoria aloof like the storefronts along the stripmall. Peoria shuttered except for June's light within, and my smokes without.

I think of June as one big meal.

I want to parse the individual components; tell you how June met me.

Okay, first time out(a la carte) they seated me beneath the air conditioner. My server was mildly patronizing. I was not so thrown that I couldn't ignore it. I could ignore it, rock my finger of a Sazerac, damn was that the shit.

An oddly-General Tso's-ish sweetbreads followed
    And the pickled Wagyu beef tongue with sauerkraut vinaigrette, possibly the perfect Jewish deli staple destratification
    Next, my Edna Valley red paired well with the rock fish and harissa butter, manila clams an amusing diversion

My Andrew Quady "Deviation" turned anise hyssop and huckleberry ice creams bitter
    But the tuscan melon sorbet + =omfg(exceptional with Quady's tipple)

I own The Cook, The Thief... on dvd now and Wild at Heart has a special double-wide all it's own in my private tornado-swept campgrounds. Lynch's cherry funereal smokes kin to Irving Penn's crushed, cold ones.

So, if June is more Lynch than Penn, if it's really wifebeater vs. whatever Peorians aspire to when they dine out. I saw octagenerian birthdays and trust fund babies, middleclass families and those solo(like myself).

June didn't bat an eye as I videoed my food.

Last Friday when I returned for the tasting menu they hit all cylinders

My server couldn't have been better, attentive, sweet, inquisitive...as the evening progressed we started talking, her along with another server, sous?, man-of-many hats...talked about the chef, Josh Adams, who I'd met the last time(talking with him: his stage at Alinea)...the sommelier joined in, great guy, in fact everyone I met was effusive, welcoming, convivial...he worked at 160 Blue, iirc.

My requests upon reserving a table for that Friday were relative privacy(which they provided...in an open space, no mean feat), not to be seated beneath the air conditioning, and as few repeats as possible vis a vis tasting menu vs. my a la carte.

All this they accomplished with aplomb...I encountered only one double and that was my rock fish entree of the night previous(consequently, also my favorite dish then).

the burrata exquisite, tangy, luscious, an indulgence

the scallops, seriously, the best I've had, and I'm no scallop fan, tensile, ephemeral, and the matsutake dashi accented with everyone's favorite new toy, black garlic, simply yes

my rock fish, again, playful manila clams, unctuous, spiked harissa butter, fregula soaking up what broth I didn't catch with the crusts of my bread ...the sommelier provided a taste of the rose' paired with this dish... a thoughtful tweak to an already considered plate/and a better insight into what I intended with my pinot the time before

the chicken stuffed with house cotecchino: my god, and I make my living in chicken, "to know life you have to fuck chicken in the gallbladder"-misquoting Andy Warhol's Frankenstein

my gawd, a sweet chicken dish and the crispy skin and cranberry beans, and cherry jus, and I'm beginning to think just kill me now, or, I'm already dead, or I need one more smoke and I'll make it through, and, I wonder if dessert's coming up soon, there's always room for dessert...

Narcotized, I slumped back outside as the house lights across the way trickled on and everything was me and my belly and a cigarette brokered peace.

They opened three bottles of Negroamero Arcangelo for me all overfermented, the sommelier(GM, Rafael Tenjo) offered a glass of his choice, a valpolicello

Skirt steak, truffled roasted beef marrow aioli, need I say more? You had me at marrow. Or was it truffle? Or, "I'll have what he's having." Wilhelm Reich could build a box of this. I did my damnedest.

We talked tokaij, the other guy and I. Well, I was trying to anticipate a dessert wine with my final courses and my server brought tokai. Tokaij to accompany my compressed watermelon and port tomato jam reduction, my green zebra compote

A mirthful, Willy Wonka-esque sweet.

then a debut; Valhrona dark and milk chocolate bread pudding, toffee? quenelle, and toasted hazlenuts(I'm sure there was more to it)...it hit every note in a chord cascading into overtone, and I hate chocolate

as I stabbed the last swath of sugar from plate, my server darted forth, set down a glass of the Andrew Quady "Essencia" ...she apologized for being late...whatever, superamazingservergirl

And, really, I thought, this is just about the coolest meal I've had since leaving Chicago(L'Explorateur/IN, you are my dear departed). Are you kidding, this is up there all around a best ever.

A week's passed and then some; it's not as cold here as it was then. Then again, we could always get up and go.
    Last edited by Christopher Gordon on September 24th, 2010, 8:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
  • Post #16 - September 12th, 2010, 9:21 pm
    Post #16 - September 12th, 2010, 9:21 pm Post #16 - September 12th, 2010, 9:21 pm
    Bombast
  • Post #17 - September 12th, 2010, 9:51 pm
    Post #17 - September 12th, 2010, 9:51 pm Post #17 - September 12th, 2010, 9:51 pm
    saps wrote:Bombast

Grandiloquence, without which we might as well fail. Now, could someone please escort me to my marrow aioli-encrusted fainting couch?
  • Post #18 - September 13th, 2010, 8:16 am
    Post #18 - September 13th, 2010, 8:16 am Post #18 - September 13th, 2010, 8:16 am
    Christopher Gordon wrote:June didn't bat an eye as I videoed my food.
    So, any pictures?

Christopher Gordon wrote:June is more Lynch than Penn

If only they had served quinoa.

Someone needs to put together
    a Lynch-inspired menu/event.

Pabst Blue-Velvet Night?
    Orecchiette...
    An accompanying flight of "airs"/
    air-pairing...
  • Post #19 - September 13th, 2010, 3:22 pm
    Post #19 - September 13th, 2010, 3:22 pm Post #19 - September 13th, 2010, 3:22 pm
    SCUBAchef wrote:
    Christopher Gordon wrote:June didn't bat an eye as I videoed my food.
    So, any pictures?

Christopher Gordon wrote:June is more Lynch than Penn

If only they had served quinoa.

Someone needs to put together
    a Lynch-inspired menu/event.

Pabst Blue-Velvet Night?
    Orecchiette...
    An accompanying flight of "airs"/
    air-pairing...

A relatively-obscure Lynch dvd extras mention! Lynch as film auteur, yes
    Lynch as cook, eh...

don't forget any Lynch degustation'd have to include those little mechanical hens in Eraserhead
  • Post #20 - October 10th, 2010, 6:48 pm
    Post #20 - October 10th, 2010, 6:48 pm Post #20 - October 10th, 2010, 6:48 pm
    I'm heading to Peoria next weekend for my birthday (it's where my family is at). Has anyone had any recent experiences at June? If I end up heading in there I'll be sure to give a full report.
  • Post #21 - October 11th, 2010, 3:35 pm
    Post #21 - October 11th, 2010, 3:35 pm Post #21 - October 11th, 2010, 3:35 pm
    just dropping a line to subscribe to the thread - i'm from P-town :)

my favorite places are Agatucci's, One World, La Gondola, Tyroni's Italian Cafe, Vonachen's (RIP), Spotted Cow Ice Cream, Kelleher's, Lester's Donuts, Richard's on Main, Alexander Street Steakhouse, Sky Harbor (but more when it was on Airport Road)

For just hanging out, not necessarily super amazing food - Schooner's, Peoria Pizza & Works
  • Post #22 - October 11th, 2010, 3:44 pm
    Post #22 - October 11th, 2010, 3:44 pm Post #22 - October 11th, 2010, 3:44 pm
    rehorn wrote:I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendations for June and Jim's Bistro. Jim's has great steaks -- and they make a great burger, too.

For pizza, locals love Agatucci's, and there's also a big Monical's following. Both are good, but my heart belongs to Agatucci's.

YES! :) I do love Monical's too, but Aggie's wins out every time I visit. If you like Monical's, Tyroni's in Bartonville is very similar.

HOWEVER, La Gondola is far superior to Avantis. Avantis is swill in comparison. ;) haha
  • Post #23 - October 11th, 2010, 7:41 pm
    Post #23 - October 11th, 2010, 7:41 pm Post #23 - October 11th, 2010, 7:41 pm
    Spent about 15 years running going to Peoria for a trade show at the Convention Center. Never tried the Bistro, but my many guests and I were NEVER disappointed by Jim's Steakhouse in downtown Peoria, a couple of blocks from the Hotel Pere Marquette...

http://www.jimssteakhouse.net/JimsPeoria.htm
    Charter member of PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
  • Post #24 - October 12th, 2010, 9:28 am
    Post #24 - October 12th, 2010, 9:28 am Post #24 - October 12th, 2010, 9:28 am
    yeah Jim's is good. I prefer Alexander's, because I like the charm of cooking my own. I know to some that may seem like doing their job for them, but there's something about sitting around a firepit cooking some texas toast :)
  • Post #25 - October 12th, 2010, 11:20 am
    Post #25 - October 12th, 2010, 11:20 am Post #25 - October 12th, 2010, 11:20 am
    That's the thing I like the least about Alexander's,cooking your own. We went a few years back with elderly MIL, SIL and her 3 kids plus a few of the kid's friends. MIL was quite frail and could not go do her own cooking so she basically sat by herself while everyone was off cooking. The kids all wanted to do their own and pretty much they all screwed up their food by under or over cooking it. On top of all of that, it was pretty noisy, chaotic and the salad bar was dismal and not kept up. It was a poor choice for the group we had but the older boys (16, 17 & 22) insisted. We don't go to Peoria very often now, MIL passed away, nieces and nephews grew up and moved on but long ago we used to frequent Vonachen's (RIP), Jumer's (RIP?) and the Lariat. We have gone a few times to a great little bar called Khaki Jacks on Allen Road and Willow Knolls, great food! SIL still goes there and says it's still good.
  • Post #26 - October 13th, 2010, 9:12 am
    Post #26 - October 13th, 2010, 9:12 am Post #26 - October 13th, 2010, 9:12 am
    Well, that's an option at Alexander's, but you can also have them cook it for you...
  • Post #27 - October 13th, 2010, 9:28 am
    Post #27 - October 13th, 2010, 9:28 am Post #27 - October 13th, 2010, 9:28 am
    Yes, but it's an extra charge and you are stuck with whatever piece you get. My MIL ordered a salmon fillet and it was the tiniest over cooked thing ever!
  • Post #28 - October 13th, 2010, 10:29 am
    Post #28 - October 13th, 2010, 10:29 am Post #28 - October 13th, 2010, 10:29 am
    Christopher Gordon wrote:General Tso's-ish

Wasn't he on the Klingon High Council in TNG?
  • Post #29 - October 13th, 2010, 2:30 pm
    Post #29 - October 13th, 2010, 2:30 pm Post #29 - October 13th, 2010, 2:30 pm
    One more restaurant to add to this list:

Bernardi's North
    Lake of the Woods Plaza
    12200 N Brentfield Dr
    Dunlap, IL 61525-9403 (Dunlap is just beyond north Peoria.)
    (309) 243-8888

This is one of the newer sister restaurants of Mona's & Caponi's in Toluca (which are discussed in this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28908&p=331915&hilit=caponi%27s+toluca#p331915 ).

I have had take-out fried chicken and tortellini from this location, and it was excellent. I've been to the Toluca locations countless times and am very glad that they now have this Dunlap outpost.

(Also, anyone visiting a Bernardi restaurant should know that their Italian salad dressing is excellent, and they sell it by the bottle.)
  • Post #30 - October 13th, 2010, 3:18 pm
    Post #30 - October 13th, 2010, 3:18 pm Post #30 - October 13th, 2010, 3:18 pm
    LikestoEatout wrote:Yes, but it's an extra charge and you are stuck with whatever piece you get. My MIL ordered a salmon fillet and it was the tiniest over cooked thing ever!

I would never order Salmon at a steakhouse, but that's besides the point. Never had a bad experience, even when having them cook because I was on a date. Maybe it was just a bad night.

I loved Jumers, but it's (RIP). The best thing was the cinnamon rolls which I used to by in bulk when I'd visit - last time I tried they had closed about 6 months before :(

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more