LTH Home

Stevens Point, WI - My "Then & Now"

Stevens Point, WI - My "Then & Now"
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Stevens Point, WI - My "Then & Now"

Post #1 - September 11th, 2010, 10:58 am
    Post #1 - September 11th, 2010, 10:58 am Post #1 - September 11th, 2010, 10:58 am
    I grew up in Stevens Point but haven't lived there since I graduated from high school. Pacelli High - class of '87.

My parents moved to Point from Milwaukee in the mid-1960's and never left. Mom and Dad are both very good cooks, so when we visit we usually eat at home. However, there are a few old gems we frequent while there and a couple of newer spots woth mentioning. Of course, some of the places I remember from my youth are either long gone or shadows of their former selves.

We went up for a visit this past Labor Day weekend. On a recommendation from friends of my parents, we headed to "Anchor Bay" on the Wisconsin River for Saturday night dinner. It's in Biron, (pronounced "Beer-on," of course,) between Point and Wisconsin Rapids. I could see really loving this spot had I pulled up in my boat after a long, hot day on the river. Mom and Dad were under the impression it was in the spirit of the old-time WI supper clubs, but not so much. More of a beer, burger/sandwich bar with a dining room. Dining room had a great view though and service was very friendly and efficient.

Sun setting on the WI River accross from Anchor Bay:
    SP Wi River by MsLynnB, on Flickr

How could we not start with the "Wisconsin Sampler?" FRIED cauliflower, broccoli, onion rings, and mozzarella sticks. Ranch dip. Served in a plastic beer boat. Ah...home.

SP Wi Sampler by MsLynnB, on Flickr

Entrees paled in comparison. I mean, how do you follow that up? We enjoyed our New Glarus Spotted Cows on top.

My Dad has recently taken up photography as a hobby. Husband, Jonathan, has a degree in it. I think like an LTH-er, so over dinner conversation came up with a little project for them on Sunday morning. We had been talking about all the restaurants I remembered as a kid in Point, how many were still there, or what was there now if they were gone, so I proposed a photo documentation mission. Off they went on Sunday morn...

Mom and Dad live in Plover now, which is just outside of Point proper. There are two places worth mentioning in Plover, IMHO. The first is the Sky Club. I think the Sky Club was my first salad bar experience. It was a "fancy" night out, with drinks at the bar for my parents and a "kiddie" cocktail for me, followed by booth dining with a trip out of your seat to choose whatever you wanted from a seemingly endless array of salad toppings, macaroni and bean salads, etc.. Steaks or Fried Shrimp dinners were the thing to have. Website only lists their banquet menu, but I'm guessing steak or a fried seafood dinner would still be the way to go. Mom and Dad have moved on and couldn't supply a recent report.

Open, but showing it's age:
    SP Sky Club 1 by MsLynnB, on Flickr

Actually, there's a shiny new boring sign out front. I was glad they kept the original on the side which was quite spiffy in its day. Hope they plan to repair it.

SP Sky Club 2 by MsLynnB, on Flickr

The Sky Club
    2200 Post Road
    Plover, WI
    715-341-4000
    http://skyclubdining.com/index/php

The other Plover spot I want to include here is Christian's Bistro. Jonathan and I enjoyed our first visit a couple of years ago and were very pleased to see it thriving. The chef's wife hails from the area and they moved here after he had spent time working under Emeril in N.O. You can see the influence in some of the menu items, but he's doing his own thing too:

-Tempura-Fried Crawfish Tails with Baby Mixed Greens, White Cheddar, Dried Tomato and Creamy Garlic-Herb Dressing
    -New Orleans Buttermilk-Fried Shrimp Po Boy with Shaved Lettuce, Tomato, Onion and Zapps Potato Chips
    -Seared Nantucket Sea Scallops with Grilled Baby Iceberg, Nueskes Bacon, Cherry Tomatoes and Sweet Corn Dressing

SP Cristians by MsLynnB, on Flickr

They are right off Highway 51, so those of you on your way up North could consider it an easy option for lunch or dinner Tues-Sat (closed Sun/Mon.)

Christian's Bistro
    3066 Village Park Drive
    Plover, WI
    http://www.christiansbistro.com/

We'll move from Plover over to Park Ridge, site of the home I grew up in 4th grade thru high school graduation. The Hilltop Bar & Grill has been around since the 1940's. Have to admit, I was only in there a couple of times while I lived there, but it's become a must-stop for Jonathan and I every time we visit now. The food is respectable pub grub, but it's the atmosphere, the friendly bar staff, and the beers on tap that keep bringing us back.

They are located right off Highway 10:

SP Hilltop by MsLynnB, on Flickr

SP Hilltop Point Sign by MsLynnB, on Flickr

Hilltop Bar and Grill
    4901 Hwy 10 East
    Open 7 days for lunch and dinner
    http://hilltoppubandgrill.com/hill_080508a_info.html

Also in Park Ridge, a spot that is VERY nostalgic for me, however one I don't frequent any more - The Silver Coach. Growing up, we ate here regularly. It's an old rail car brought to Point in the 1930's and converted into a very cool bar. In the mid-50's, owner Pete Redfield added a dining room and started serving Cantonese food. That was the Silver Coach I knew and loved. Pete was a "character" and the consumate host/bartender. He whipped-up the best Kiddie cocktail in town and was quite the charmer, but could be a bit crotchety too. Why Cantonese food? I have no idea. Hard to believe now that simple egg rolls with Chinese mustard and Egg Drop Soup seemed so exotic to me back then.

Pete is long gone, but the Silver Coach has been well-preserved. It's Cajun-style food now and I thought it was pretty good upon my one visit. Life moves on, but the Silver Coach is frozen in time in my memories and just isn't the same without Pete and Cantonese food.

SP Silver Coach 1 by MsLynnB, on Flickr

SP Silver Coach 2 by MsLynnB, on Flickr

Silver Coach
    38 Park Ridge Drive
    Stevens Point, WI

Let's move on to the one place you HAVE to get off the highway to stop at - Belt's. Just don't bother in winter because it's a seasonal joint. Belt's Soft Serve is sort of Point's Mario's Italian Ice. People anticipate opening day and the lines go on and on until the season is over. All walks of life patronize Belt's.

SP Belts 1 by MsLynnB, on Flickr

SP Belts 2 by MsLynnB, on Flickr

SP Belts 3 by MsLynnB, on Flickr

Belt's
    2140 Division Street
    Stevens Point, WI
    715-344-0049

Heading Downtown, the Cozy Kitchen has been around forever. In fact, it is the town's oldest established restauant. Solid, from-scratch cooking, known for homemade soups and pies. My Dad's office used to be near here and it was a favorite of his for lunch.

SP Cozy Kitchen 1 by MsLynnB, on Flickr

Cozy Kitchen
    1338 Third St
    Note: they close by 7pm during the week, 2pm on Saturday, and are closed Sundays.

Just down the street from Cozy is the Water Street Grille.

SP Water Street Grille by MsLynnB, on Flickr

This place was not around when I lived there, but is a nice addition to the scene. Food is more upscale than Cozy, but atmosphere is comfortable and warm. Owners and staff are extremely welcoming. Their Friday Night Fish Fry is quite respectable. Menu is "something for everyone" - steaks, sandwiches, stir-frys, salads, etc...

Water Street Grille
    1410 Third Street
    Lunch and dinner Mon-Sat, closed on Sunday

Here's one that bummed me out. My old Downtown A&W Root Beer stand - gone.

SP Old A&W by MsLynnB, on Flickr

New place is Cafe 27. I'm told they are attempting sustainable cuisine in a bistro-ish setting. Might be good, parents haven't checked it out yet.

Cafe 27
    945 Clark Street
    Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but closed Sunday and Monday

A short hop from Downtown is the Stevens Point Area Co-op. I became a pesco-vegetarian in 1986 and spent quite a bit of time perusing the shelves, weighing out spices and bulk grains from their hand-labeled glass bottles here. It may have been the late 80's, but the co-op definitely still had that late 60's-mid-70's vibe going. Have to admit, at the time I thought I was pretty cool shopping here on my own and hoped the staff thought I was a college student, not a mere high school kid. Between the cookbooks I poured over at the library and shopping at the co-op, I built a solid foundation of how to eat healthy as a vegetarian.

Mom recommended a visit back on Sunday as it had undergone some renovations. Wow - it sure has.

SP Coop 1 by MsLynnB, on Flickr

SP Coop 2 by MsLynnB, on Flickr

Bright, airy, and spotless with a wonderful on-site bakery. Nice to see it thriving.

Stevens Point Area Cooperative
    633 2nd Street
    Open every day
    Nice web site: http://www.spacoop.com/

OK, a couple of "quickies:"

Swung by the brewery, but it is closed on Sundays. We did the tour a couple of years ago and it's a good one.

SP Brewery by MsLynnB, on Flickr

Bernard's German restaurant.

SP Bernards by MsLynnB, on Flickr

Been around since 1973 and is a classic relic. We had a lovely holiday meal there a few years ago. About the portions - huge.

Bernard's Country Inn
    701 2nd Street North
    Dinner only, Tuesday-Saturday
    http://www.bernardscountryinn.com/index.shtml

Honorable mention and a quick jaunt from Point in Amherst, WI - Morningstar Coffee and Bistro. While the boys were out taking photos, Mom brought me here for a latte and a stroll through historic Amherst (took about 3 min.) Morningstar is adorable and cozy. Open daily, except Tuesdays, and serving beer & wine, Mom and Dad had recently attended one of their monthly "lamp-lit" dinners and loved it. 5 courses - reservations required. Worth a visit, my latte was memorable.

Morningstar Coffee and Bistro
    102 South Main Street
    Amherst

Certainly Point now has all the usual chain suspects from Applebee's to Mickey D's, but if you venture in a bit, you will find some unique places. It's not like you'll ever be that far off from the highway, so go on in and explore. (No $ has been received from the Point Chamber of Commerce or Tourism Board - promise. :) )

Edited once for spelling and typos - needed more coffee...
    Last edited by LynnB on September 11th, 2010, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #2 - September 11th, 2010, 11:27 am
    Post #2 - September 11th, 2010, 11:27 am Post #2 - September 11th, 2010, 11:27 am
    Great post and pics, Lynn. Thanks.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #3 - September 11th, 2010, 12:24 pm
    Post #3 - September 11th, 2010, 12:24 pm Post #3 - September 11th, 2010, 12:24 pm
    Thanks, Mike! It was a fun little project.

Dad sent in a few more photos:

The newer Sky Club sign:

SP sky club newer sign by MsLynnB, on Flickr

Homemade Soup and Sandwich - just $5.50 at the Cozy:

SP Cozy Kitchen Specials by MsLynnB, on Flickr

You see the new, I see the old orange and black A&W:

SP Cafe 27 full view by MsLynnB, on Flickr
  • Post #4 - September 11th, 2010, 1:12 pm
    Post #4 - September 11th, 2010, 1:12 pm Post #4 - September 11th, 2010, 1:12 pm
    I remember going to the Sky Club a a kid, driving up to our place in Northern WI. IIRC, there was a secondary sign, promoting its "Heavenly Food."

Also, in addition to Point Brewery, Plover is home to Oso Brewing, which, among other things, makes a very good Pils-style lager called The Big O. I don't believe the brewery offers tours.

Over in an industrial park in Amherst is Central Waters Brewing - possibly one of the eco-friendly breweries you'll ever find. They do an especially good job with hoppier beers.
  • Post #5 - September 11th, 2010, 1:37 pm
    Post #5 - September 11th, 2010, 1:37 pm Post #5 - September 11th, 2010, 1:37 pm
    Lynn,

Some of those places look great. One of these days, I've got to get up there and do some exploring. I'll bet some of those places are real good.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #6 - September 13th, 2010, 1:01 pm
    Post #6 - September 13th, 2010, 1:01 pm Post #6 - September 13th, 2010, 1:01 pm
    WOW, great post, Lynn!

My company is based out of Bancroft, a few miles south of Stevens Point, and I've had a few meals/cocktails at The Sky Club while staying in Plover upon visits to the mothership. Last time through, in fact, I enjoyed absolutely the best broiled walleye pike dinner ever, while feasting on their 'Wisconsin-style-supper-club' salad bar, which contains lettuce & cucumbers, is lean on salad fixins but long on tuna salad, pasta salad & the like. Interesting nonetheless. AND...the triangular bar at The Sky Club pours a mean, mean drink.

The bartender, however, is not triangular...love this place!!
  • Post #7 - September 13th, 2010, 1:25 pm
    Post #7 - September 13th, 2010, 1:25 pm Post #7 - September 13th, 2010, 1:25 pm
    My 1st restaurant meal in Wisc was at the Sky Club--heavenly food served by angels was the sign in 1977 or so. Christians is always good--with great service too. Will have to try the Cozy Kitchen next trip to Point(30miles)--and usually Marc at Oso brewing is more then happy to show you his operation--lots of good beers

Buzz
  • Post #8 - September 13th, 2010, 1:38 pm
    Post #8 - September 13th, 2010, 1:38 pm Post #8 - September 13th, 2010, 1:38 pm
    I don't know when I'll ever get up to Steven's Point, LynnB, but someday when I do, your post will be my guidebook. Lovely photos and commentary.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #9 - September 13th, 2010, 7:11 pm
    Post #9 - September 13th, 2010, 7:11 pm Post #9 - September 13th, 2010, 7:11 pm
    Thanks, all! nr706 - agreed on Central Waters - parents had a 6 in the fridge for us, wish we'd picked up some for home. Wound up bringing home some Spotted Cow, Capital "Supper Club," and Point Cascade (I know, we can get it here too.) Knew nothing of Oso Brewing - will be scolding the parents and rectifying that next trip home.
  • Post #10 - September 13th, 2010, 7:44 pm
    Post #10 - September 13th, 2010, 7:44 pm Post #10 - September 13th, 2010, 7:44 pm
    Mentioned it on another Wisconsin thread, but the Old Fashioned on Capitol Square in Madison has ALL these beers, about 150 more, and some pretty decent food to boot. Had a great light ale called 'Totally Naked' from New Glarus (home of Spotted Cow) and then 'Rusty Red' from the aforementioned O'so Brewery in Plover.

The Old Fashioned
    23 N Pinckney St # 1
    Madison, WI 53703-4207
    (608) 310-4545

http://www.theoldfashioned.com
  • Post #11 - December 27th, 2011, 10:02 am
    Post #11 - December 27th, 2011, 10:02 am Post #11 - December 27th, 2011, 10:02 am
    Went home for the Holidays this year and enjoyed an excellent meal last Friday evening at Christian's Bistro. The four of us shared three appetizers:

Christian's Bistro Crabcakes/Chips by MsLynnB, on Flickr

The first thing I'd noticed when we walked in was the aroma of white truffle oil, so I knew we had to get the Housemade Chips w/ Parm & Truffle Oil. Jonathan's request was the Crab Cakes.

Christian's Bistro Cheese Service by MsLynnB, on Flickr

There was a list of about 10 different Wisconsin Cheeses w/ the opportunity to choose either 3 or 6. This was Dad's pick, and he chose a White Cheddar, an aged Gouda, and a Brie. In addition to the toasted pecans and fruit preserves, this came with a basked of grilled bread pieces. The White Cheddar was pronounced the group favorite, but all were good.

Entrees:

Christian's Bistro Scallops by MsLynnB, on Flickr

Mom's Choice - BBQ Scallops w/ Corncakes and Yellow Squash

Christian's Bistro Redfish by MsLynnB, on Flickr

Dad's Choice - Pecan-Crusted Texas Redfish w/ Grilled Vegetable Wild Rice & Apple-Rosemary Reduction

Christian's Bistro Beef Tenderloin by MsLynnB, on Flickr

Jonathan's Pick - Grilled Angus Steak Medallions w/ Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Wilted Spinach, & Nueske's Bacon Jus

Christian's Bistro Flounder by MsLynnB, on Flickr

My Choice - Pan-Crispy Rhode Island Flounder w/ Benton's Dry-Cured Ham Mac & Cheese & Grilled Asparagus

We were far too stuffed for dessert! Service was great, per usual. We saw Christian behind the line of the open kitchen working alongside his staff.

Lunch on Christmas Eve was at Water Street Grill. Solid versions of the following were enjoyed: Patty Melt, BLT, Corned Beef Sandwich, Southwestern Black Bean Burger. Served-up with super-friendly and attentive service.

Thankfully, no reason to hit a chain restaurant when visiting Mom & Dad!

Contact info for both spots can be found above.
  • Post #12 - December 27th, 2011, 11:59 am
    Post #12 - December 27th, 2011, 11:59 am Post #12 - December 27th, 2011, 11:59 am
    Christians is a great spot--try get there every month or so---even easier to get there now since Oso Brewery opened there tap room just down the sidewalk with more then 40 Wisc beers on tap(and no food)
    Nice report thanks
  • Post #13 - December 28th, 2011, 10:36 am
    Post #13 - December 28th, 2011, 10:36 am Post #13 - December 28th, 2011, 10:36 am
    Many, many years ago my husband and his entourage would make a "Point Run" up from the south side of Chicago to Stevens Point to buy large quantities of Point Beer.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #14 - March 12th, 2012, 7:36 am
    Post #14 - March 12th, 2012, 7:36 am Post #14 - March 12th, 2012, 7:36 am
    News from Point:

Christian and Leah Czerwonka, of Christian's Bistro, have purchased Cafe 27 and plan to re-open it in May as Father Fat's Public House. The concept is small plates inspired by Spanish tapas with Asian, Southwest, and Creole flavors. They have been developing the idea for a few years and were waiting for the right downtown location to become available.

Current Exec Sous Chef of Christian's Bistro, Michael Rettinger, will transition to Chef de Cuisine at Father Fat's.

Hours:
    4-10 Tues-Thurs
    4-midnight Fri-Sat
    Closed Sunday/Monday

945 Clark Street
    Stevens Point

(Info per my parents via an article in the Stevens Point Journal.)
  • Post #15 - July 28th, 2013, 5:25 pm
    Post #15 - July 28th, 2013, 5:25 pm Post #15 - July 28th, 2013, 5:25 pm
    There's a great Vietnamese restaurant/grocery in Point these days, Lor's. Really good Pho. http://vietnameserestaurantwi.com/

On Post Road at Minnesota Avenue, on the far south side of town. Almost in Whiting.
  • Post #16 - July 28th, 2013, 7:22 pm
    Post #16 - July 28th, 2013, 7:22 pm Post #16 - July 28th, 2013, 7:22 pm
    Interesting. Will be in Point in early September and will make an effort to check it out. Thanks for posting.
  • Post #17 - July 30th, 2013, 8:19 am
    Post #17 - July 30th, 2013, 8:19 am Post #17 - July 30th, 2013, 8:19 am
    adipocere wrote:There's a great Vietnamese restaurant/grocery in Point these days, Lor's. Really good Pho. http://vietnameserestaurantwi.com/

On Post Road at Minnesota Avenue, on the far south side of town. Almost in Whiting.

We get off/on at the 10/39 interchange, so this place is somewhat close to that. Vietnamese sandwiches for our trip south back home would be quite welcome. Seems they are open 9am-9pm everyday, so that fits our schedule. cool.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #18 - July 30th, 2013, 10:20 am
    Post #18 - July 30th, 2013, 10:20 am Post #18 - July 30th, 2013, 10:20 am
    Oh yeah, their Banh Mi's are tasty.

There's also a Korean place on Division at Maria on the north side. Pretty fair but $$. Called Korean Lunch Box. And I wasn't able to get to it, but there is a Campuchean/Laotian place in town as well. Not sure where that is, or the name of it.
  • Post #19 - August 13th, 2013, 7:29 am
    Post #19 - August 13th, 2013, 7:29 am Post #19 - August 13th, 2013, 7:29 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:
    adipocere wrote:There's a great Vietnamese restaurant/grocery in Point these days, Lor's. Really good Pho. http://vietnameserestaurantwi.com/

We get off/on at the 10/39 interchange, so this place is somewhat close to that. Vietnamese sandwiches for our trip south back home would be quite welcome. Seems they are open 9am-9pm everyday, so that fits our schedule. cool.

Thanks again adipocere for mentioning Lor's. Mrs Sweet Willie & I stopped in for lunch last Friday, got a couple of banh mi sandwiches to go.

I'm just guessing Lor's is the best stocked Asian market at or north of this latitude in Wisconsin. Not huge but many items were well represented.

At 1pm on Friday, there were two tables of two being occupied w/some Vietnamese couples enjoying pho. Another person along with us were there for to-go orders. Articles on the wall state the couple is originally from Seattle. I asked the wife upon checkout how was business, she replied that they've been around for 3.5 years and that summer was very slow due to U Wisconsin Stevens Point summer break.

As for the food, the ground pork on skewers was nicely marinated & char grilled. Quite delicious.

We had two banh mi (traditional & chicken lemongrass), chicken lemongrass the clear winner as the traditional did not have the variety of meats I've seen here in Chicago, nor the veggies.

We will for sure stop by for other items.
  • Post #20 - March 7th, 2014, 9:14 am
    Post #20 - March 7th, 2014, 9:14 am Post #20 - March 7th, 2014, 9:14 am
    I stopped by Lor's late yesterday afternoon on my way back home to Chicago, ordered the beef banh mi, best sandwich I've had from Lor's. The beef really picks up the marinade flavor more than the other meats, then when grilled is just delicious.
  • Post #21 - March 7th, 2014, 8:34 pm
    Post #21 - March 7th, 2014, 8:34 pm Post #21 - March 7th, 2014, 8:34 pm
    Willie,

What are you doing roaming free at that latitude on this date?? :)

Me, I live up here...but you?
    Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #22 - March 8th, 2014, 10:34 am
    Post #22 - March 8th, 2014, 10:34 am Post #22 - March 8th, 2014, 10:34 am
    Geo wrote:Willie,

What are you doing roaming free at that latitude on this date?? :)

Me, I live up here...but you?
    Geo

ha! Whether busy summer months, dead of winter or the "off" seasons, I LOVE northern Wisconsin at all times of the year.
  • Post #23 - March 8th, 2014, 10:39 am
    Post #23 - March 8th, 2014, 10:39 am Post #23 - March 8th, 2014, 10:39 am
    Bien fait Willie, bien fait!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #24 - June 9th, 2021, 12:34 pm
    Post #24 - June 9th, 2021, 12:34 pm Post #24 - June 9th, 2021, 12:34 pm
    My dad passed away recently so I’ve been spending increased time in the Stevens Point/Plover area assisting my mom. It occurred to me to give this thread a quick update.

Anchor Bay is still around, but I haven’t been in many years.

The Sky Club is still chugging along, but word on the street (my mom’s friends,) is that the food is not particularly good. People mainly go to hang out at the bar.

Christian’s Bistro unfortunately closed, I believe in 2019. A Mexican place moved in but I have not tried it yet. Christian still operates Father Fats and Chef’s Kitchen in downtown Stevens Point. He also has a food truck called Chef C’s Munchie Mobile.

Hilltop Bar & Grill - still going strong and still a solid choice.

Silver Coach - still in operation, haven’t been there for a very long time so can’t speak to quality.

Belt’s is still Belt’s - going strong. My dad was the big ice cream eater in our family. In recent years his go-to was King Cone in Plover. I’ve been a few times and it is tasty. They always have a fun flavor of the day.

Cozy Kitchen is still open. Water Street Grill closed in 2018. Cafe 27 was short-lived. Bernard’s closed in 2017 after 44 years in business.

One place in Plover that has been a great addition is Mikey’s Bar & Grill. They just seem to keep getting better. We’ve had some delicious meals there with great service, even in these strange COVID times. The Smoked Whitefish Dip blew us away. Other stand-outs include the Tuna Tataki, Flank Steak, Three Cheese Gnocchi, and the Wisconsin Open Faced Po-Boy with Pan-Fried Bluegill.

O’so Tap House was Mikey’s former neighbor and both were in the same strip as Christian’s Bistro. O’so has since expanded and moved across the street. I believe Mike’s plans to do the same but I’m not sure of the timeframe for that.

Another newer place worth mentioning and a stop if you are in the area is Feltz’s Dairy Store in Stevens Point. They have a good selection of cheeses and meats. Also, ice cream. Very fun for kids because the store is on a working farm and there is a window for cow viewing. Closed on Sundays.
  • Post #25 - June 9th, 2021, 12:37 pm
    Post #25 - June 9th, 2021, 12:37 pm Post #25 - June 9th, 2021, 12:37 pm
    LynnB wrote:My dad passed away recently so I’ve been spending increased time in the Stevens Point/Plover area assisting my mom. It occurred to me to give this thread a quick update . . .

Very sorry for your loss. Thank you, for the update. It's very much appreciated.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #26 - June 9th, 2021, 12:42 pm
    Post #26 - June 9th, 2021, 12:42 pm Post #26 - June 9th, 2021, 12:42 pm
    Thanks, Ronnie.

I forgot to mention, Feltz’s has become my COVID times supplier for Nueskes bacon without shipping costs. So bummed they haven’t had it at Fresh Farms for months…
  • Post #27 - August 29th, 2021, 5:20 pm
    Post #27 - August 29th, 2021, 5:20 pm Post #27 - August 29th, 2021, 5:20 pm
    Revisited Anchor Bay recently. It was hoppin’ on a Saturday evening. Seems they have added some more outdoor seating which is a nice option in COVID times.

What makes this place a destination for us is the location across from the Wisconsin River. We had a fabulous sunset view. The staff is so great too. The hostess has been there forever and many of the service staff too. They are all super-friendly and efficient. They do a good job with the WI bar food standard of fried cheese curds. Their version is light, gooey, and not greasy. I enjoyed the grilled Mahi Mahi tacos. Authentic? No. Just a tasty and fresh version of Americanized fish tacos. Jonathan went with the Prime Rib and it arrived perfectly cooked to his specification. He also really liked his choice of potato salad side which they make in-house. Drinks are a generous pour. Prices are reasonable.

If you find yourself in the area, don’t hesitate to give it a try.

Anchor Bay Bar & Grill
    www.anchorbaybarandgrill.com
  • Post #28 - August 13th, 2023, 5:57 pm
    Post #28 - August 13th, 2023, 5:57 pm Post #28 - August 13th, 2023, 5:57 pm
    Just Back from a weekend visiting my mom. Realized I haven’t updated this thread in awhile. Maybe a few of you noticed that the Sentry Insurance headquarters hosted the recent Senior Open PGA tour event. It was a very big deal for Stevens Point. There is a really good restaurant @ Sentry called PJ’s. We have dined there several times now and I can confidently recommend it. The outdoor seating is amazing but inside is comfortable too.

There were a few skeptics at the table (looking at you Audrey & Jonathan) but my mom & I really wanted the Brussels Sprouts appetizer. It was fantastic. The four of us devoured it. They have wood fired pizzas which we have been happy with in the past. Their burger is excellent and that’s what my mom had. Audrey loves their Mac & Cheese but decided to try the Buttermilk fried chicken sandwich with tater tots and was happy. Jonathan enjoyed his hanger steak and I liked the salmon with mashed potatoes & blueberry chutney.

Seems like every time we go there is at least 1 wedding happening on site but the kitchen keeps up well. It really is a beautiful venue. We took a swing through their hotel lobby next door where the bar was open and the lounge with fireplace and rocking chairs looked very inviting. Fire pit below had a solo guest enjoying a glass of wine and a book.

Sentryworld.com

Saturday morning farmer’s market on the downtown square is thriving. An old friend of mine recently opened a bookstore on Main Street called Sojourn. It’s lovely and there is a wine bar above her. Nice to see some downtown revival.
  • Post #29 - August 13th, 2023, 6:12 pm
    Post #29 - August 13th, 2023, 6:12 pm Post #29 - August 13th, 2023, 6:12 pm
    P.S. - Cozy Kitchen - still open. Get some soup.
  • Post #30 - September 12th, 2023, 8:31 pm
    Post #30 - September 12th, 2023, 8:31 pm Post #30 - September 12th, 2023, 8:31 pm
    a bit north of Stevens Point but not a great distance.

Picked up Mrs Willie from CWA (Central Wisconsin Airport) on a recent Friday evening about 6:30pm. A quick 10 min drive and we arrived at Chang's.

I had done some searching for supper clubs nearby and one that intrigued me was Chang's Halfmoon Lakeview Bar & Grill. Google showed this as a Hmong restaurant.

It is a traditional supper club located on Half Moon Lake an offshoot lake of the Wisconsin River. It was 68 degrees out and all the locals were inside, so Mrs Willie & I had the small patio to ourselves, a beautiful setting.

Chang's does offer traditional fish fry (including walleye & bluegill, two of my faves). They also offer various noodle dishes such as ramen noodles or Pad Thai. I found out the only Hmong food served is on Sat & Sun, when Chang's serves a Hmong sausage with sticky rice. (they also offer pho on Sat & Sun).

Mrs Willie ordered the combo meat ramen noodles and I the shrimp Pad Thai. The wok hei of my Pad Thai made it one of the best I've had, an intense smokey flavor. Portions are HUGE !!!

I hope to get to Chang's on a Sat or Sun sometime.

Chang's Halfmoon Lakeview Bar & Grill
    147707 Half Moon Lake Drive
    Mosinee, WI 54455
    https://www.facebook.com/ChangsLanding

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more