LTH Home

More Time in Wisconsin

More Time in Wisconsin
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - July 3rd, 2020, 10:22 am
    Post #91 - July 3rd, 2020, 10:22 am Post #91 - July 3rd, 2020, 10:22 am
    budrichard wrote:Sorry but the website will not attach photos, just gives me a blank screen?

Sorry. A known problem that we're working on.

Thanks, for your patience.

=R=
    for the Moderators
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #92 - October 4th, 2020, 3:32 am
    Post #92 - October 4th, 2020, 3:32 am Post #92 - October 4th, 2020, 3:32 am
    Sap Sap teamed with Chef Tory Miller for a Pop-UP at the Coffee House in Burlington yesterday.
    Korean fried chicken
    Korean Mac N Cheese with Kimchee
    Pickled Farm Veggies
    Great crispy Chicken with a nice gochujang based sauce.
    The Mac N Cheese, outstanding, better than any Banchan I have had.
    Order and pay ahead on-line, pickup at the time you request.
    Alex continues to do winners!!!
    -Richard
  • Post #93 - January 30th, 2021, 12:24 pm
    Post #93 - January 30th, 2021, 12:24 pm Post #93 - January 30th, 2021, 12:24 pm
    Sap Sap continues it’s winning ways with the purchase of the long defunct Totero’s in Racine.
    Sap Sap also offers it’s take on a Lao beer, Thum Phuk.
    For now, food and beer available at various Pop Up’s.
    The quality of the food has not varied from it’s initial stellar quality.
    Sap Sap has become a bi-weekly routine in our household.-Richard https://www.sapsapeats.com/
  • Post #94 - February 28th, 2021, 9:48 pm
    Post #94 - February 28th, 2021, 9:48 pm Post #94 - February 28th, 2021, 9:48 pm
    I’ve been following the SapSap story on social media for a long time but have yet to actually partake in their food. I just root for them from afar and am excited for their success. I hope to actually taste (&drink!) their offerings sometime soon.
  • Post #95 - June 16th, 2021, 1:27 am
    Post #95 - June 16th, 2021, 1:27 am Post #95 - June 16th, 2021, 1:27 am
    Sap Sap is now open for Take Out This Thurs, Fri, Sat at their new location.
    https://www.clover.com/online-ordering/ ... an-racine/
    Chicken Banh Mi and BBQ Chicken Fried Rice and Mamma’s Egg Rolls are coming home Saturday for us.
    The Skirt Steak is to die for but we are having Outer Skirt I purchased from Fresh Farms for Father’s Day.
    When they open for dine in, I have the first table reserved.
    Sap Sap
    2343 MEAD STREET, RACINE WI
    (262) 456-0556
    -Richard
  • Post #96 - June 20th, 2021, 4:13 am
    Post #96 - June 20th, 2021, 4:13 am Post #96 - June 20th, 2021, 4:13 am
    Update:
    Friday Carry Out
    My son proclaimed the BBQ Chicken Fried Rice, THE BEST EVER!!!!
    Mamma’s EGG Rolls were spot on crispy crackly goodness and the Chicken Bahn Mi, off the charts excellent as usual!!!
    Beers sales will wait a few weeks until a Liquor License is procured.
    The new venue is small inside but a bar is under construction and dining in should be worth the wait.
  • Post #97 - June 27th, 2021, 4:24 pm
    Post #97 - June 27th, 2021, 4:24 pm Post #97 - June 27th, 2021, 4:24 pm
    Thumbs up for SapSap (or Sap-Sap but not Sap Sap) from me. Important to note it's just two blocks from Wells Brothers, so the 1-2 punch I did yesterday couldn't have been easier. Because of the aforementioned Wells Brothers and some other heavy eating in 26 hours in WI, I kept the order small but the sausage and accompanying sauce were fantastic.

Listed on the website as pork sausage, lemongrass, makrut lime, and birds-eye chile. I'm assuming everything listed but the pork was in the fiery, acidic, herbaceous dipping sauce, but there was also some very nice seasoning in the meat as well. I also tried the Lao jerky (lemon grass, brown sugar and soy), which was served hot. I didn't actually eat it until the next day when it was cooled off. As far as a beef jerky snack goes, it was very, very good. Probably wouldn't order it as part of a meal though.
  • Post #98 - June 27th, 2021, 7:45 pm
    Post #98 - June 27th, 2021, 7:45 pm Post #98 - June 27th, 2021, 7:45 pm
    We stopped by SapSap the first week they were officially open in the new space and had skirt steak, sausage, sticky rice, a fried chicken sandwich, chicken wings, and egg rolls. The egg rolls were just fine, but everything else was really excellent. And we finished up the mean with a fish sauce salted caramel brownie they through in since we had to wait a few minutes for our order.

Everyone was as nice as can be - they're still clearly working out a few kinks but things seem to be moving along swimmingly and we look forward to coming back once they're fully open!
  • Post #99 - September 14th, 2021, 3:17 am
    Post #99 - September 14th, 2021, 3:17 am Post #99 - September 14th, 2021, 3:17 am
    Bratwurst or ‘Brats’ as it’s known in Wisconsin.
    Specifically Johnsonville Brats.
    PicknSave advertized Johnsonville Brats with Hatch chiles but the local stores never got any!
    So last Sunday we went to, where else, there really is a Johnsonville, for Brats after the races at Road America last Sunday. On Cnty J , just east of 57 and a few miles west of I-43.
    The factory store is located across the Highway from the manufacturing area, and Brats with Hatch chiles were available. Sheboygan hard rolls also were in the store.
    Johnsonville Brats are indeed served at Road America and Lambeau Field.
    Brats are unique to Wisconsin and there are a few dozen small butcher shops in the State producing Brats in myriad varieties these days.
    The Hatch chile variety have a very mild Hatch taste.
    So far my favorite is still Usinger’s!
    My favorite used to be European Homemade Sausage but that is now permenently closed.
    Indeed it was so popular that after the first closing Frank re-opened due to the clamor.
    Brats may look similar to fresh Polsih but the subtle spicing separates a Brat from a Polish.
    In Chicago fresh Polish is a commodity and is usually at a low price. Indeed, Andy’s Deli has their manufacturing Plant in Wisconsin.
    Brat are largely unknown and not readily available outside Wisconsin. I used to send a box from Usingers to my Dad at Christmas time as Usingers sends a whole semi full of orders to Florida each year to reduce shipping costs.
    -Richard
  • Post #100 - September 14th, 2021, 7:58 am
    Post #100 - September 14th, 2021, 7:58 am Post #100 - September 14th, 2021, 7:58 am
    budrichard wrote:Bratwurst or ‘Brats’ as it’s known in Wisconsin.

Love brats, grew up with brats. Labor Day was a two brat meal day. Lunch at The Brat Stop, coming back from a wedding in Lake Geneva, and dinner fresh brats cooked on charcoal from the Brat Stop.

Home cooked regular brat was tasty, Cajun a few notches above. Speaking of the Brat Stop, I've been going for decades, since I was a wee lad, always loved the place. Typically sat at the bar as then your order would be made over charcoal instead of gas grill.

We were with a niece and nephew and I highly suggested the Brat Stop on the way back to Chicago. Labor Day busy, though great service, short wait and fun atmosphere. Sadly on the plate was dry, over cooked brat and beginning to stale roll. Plus I had to ask for extra onions as they gave about .5ounce highly minced with the sandwich.

Take home brats were great. I hope the restaurant meal was an anomaly.

As an aside, when did Lake Geneva become Key West of the Midwest. Tourists bopping into standstill traffic on scooters, drunks, hordes of over powered motor boats clogging the water.

Regards,
    Gary "all change is for the worse" Wiv
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #101 - September 15th, 2021, 7:31 am
    Post #101 - September 15th, 2021, 7:31 am Post #101 - September 15th, 2021, 7:31 am
    G Wiv wrote:As an aside, when did Lake Geneva become Key West of the Midwest.

I think last summer, when the sort of people who like this sort of thing couldn't fly to the usual locations. And Wisconsin had far fewer Covid-related restrictions last summer than Illinois did.
    Of course, Lake Geneva historically was no stranger to sleaze - remember the Playboy Club?
  • Post #102 - September 15th, 2021, 8:44 am
    Post #102 - September 15th, 2021, 8:44 am Post #102 - September 15th, 2021, 8:44 am
    As an aside, when did Lake Geneva become Key West of the Midwest. Tourists bopping into standstill traffic on scooters, drunks, hordes of over powered motor boats clogging the water.

My former neighbors love Lake Geneva.

Years ago, the husband gave his wife a Suburban for Mother's Day. She was thrilled. For himself, he bought a large powerboat with the expectations of this Suburban pulling it. She did not know about the boat until it arrived.

They spent a summer on Lake Michigan's cold and rough waters. Each adventure concluding with hauling the boat home requiring a 90-degree turn to its location. To accomplish this, there was a lot of yelling and uncomfortable near misses.

Friends suggested bringing their boat for a weekend in Lake Geneva. They loved the calm waters. Immediately bought a weekend home there, started construction for a new house in Barrington along route 12, and sold their home in Highland Park. Now they had a straight shot to Lake Geneva.

I don't think they are alone in their reaction to Lake Geneva. I recall going with my Grandparents and it seemed a bit strained by tourists back in the 60s and 70s.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #103 - September 15th, 2021, 9:14 am
    Post #103 - September 15th, 2021, 9:14 am Post #103 - September 15th, 2021, 9:14 am
    There were three ski hills around Lake Geneva in the 1960's. Mount Fuji offered a flat and straight hill. Majestic was a chicken farm with a hill of sand; the sand provided the ski hill. The Playboy Club was 211 vertical feet.

My mother took her bridge club to the Playboy Club for a lunch. She was the youngest person in the group and most were in their 70's. There were no Bunnies present during the day but, they were seated in the Playmate Lounge, surrounded by playmate centerfolds. The chef at that time was a close friend tells me that the special was "large stuffed breast divan".

In those days we would buy wonderful sausage and smoked meat like smoked ribeye from Herman's Sausage Shop in Bohner's Lake. My children learned all about great sausage from Herman and Elizabeth Ahler. They were very generous with their time and it was always a pleasure to spend time with them.
  • Post #104 - September 15th, 2021, 12:11 pm
    Post #104 - September 15th, 2021, 12:11 pm Post #104 - September 15th, 2021, 12:11 pm
    G Wiv wrote:As an aside, when did Lake Geneva become Key West of the Midwest. Tourists bopping into standstill traffic on scooters, drunks, hordes of over powered motor boats clogging the water.

It's been that way for more than 30 years: my in-laws rent a cabin at the far end of the lake every summer. It used to be more noveau riche snobbery -- higher end stores -- but it's still got art galleries and a few boutiques that cater to the 1%ers that own the big boats. Rt 50 backs up from the center of town to US 12 on weekends, and has as long as I've been married.
    In my opinion, it's been all downhill since The Dungeon (a gaming store, at one point just about the only place to get D&D-related stuff) closed -- Kilwin's fudge is there now. The loss of the video/pinball arcade is another rung on the descent ladder (almost 20 years, I think). There's some decent food in the area, but stay off the main drag: Popeye's is OK, but not worth the wait or the prices.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #105 - September 16th, 2021, 10:34 pm
    Post #105 - September 16th, 2021, 10:34 pm Post #105 - September 16th, 2021, 10:34 pm
    JoelF wrote:Popeye's is OK, but not worth the wait or the prices.

So are prices at the Lake Geneva Popeye's higher than the one in North Chicago, for example? And if so, just in summer?
  • Post #106 - September 17th, 2021, 1:16 am
    Post #106 - September 17th, 2021, 1:16 am Post #106 - September 17th, 2021, 1:16 am
    tjr wrote:
    JoelF wrote:Popeye's is OK, but not worth the wait or the prices.

So are prices at the Lake Geneva Popeye's higher than the one in North Chicago, for example? And if so, just in summer?

Not the fast food chicken chain. Popeye's in Lake Geneva is an unrelated lakefront restaurant where the location is more of a draw than the food.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #107 - September 17th, 2021, 3:18 am
    Post #107 - September 17th, 2021, 3:18 am Post #107 - September 17th, 2021, 3:18 am
    We booked an overpriced room, Harbor Shores, right on the lake for two nights. It had a tiny balcony with tables and chairs more suitable to a child's tea party than adults in Wisconsin. The room, did I mention it was overpriced, had two beds, two well worn chairs with slight grease spots and a rickety table, no desk, crappy shower, cheap tissue/toilet paper. We did have a fridge and TV (never turned on). I will say the room was kept clean.

Our tiny balcony, which had a wonderful view of the lake, was on the top floor right over the hotel entrance, cig/pot smoke wafted up at all hours, as well as noise. To add insult to injury we thought the rehearsal dinner/wedding was within walking distance of the hotel, turns out all the festivities were in Burlington, about 15-miles from the hotel.

Burlington turned out to be a neat little city, the rehearsal reception was in a repurposed factory now coffee shop, bakery, event space with hyper friendly people. The wedding itself was held in a wonderful nature camp, urban refuge, Rustic Falls, and filled with joy, music and made on the spot high-end chef type food. Including 5-lbs of foraged, from Oregon, morels on bruschetta. Which one of the attendees brought as a wedding gift.

Speaking of food, we ate at Culver's twice as that was the only restaurant open after ten pm. We tried to have brunch in town on Labor day, Ha, lines everywhere out the door, ended up at the Brat Stop, as mentioned up-thread.

In sum, wedding wonderful, hotel overpriced mediocrity, city tourist trap.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #108 - September 17th, 2021, 11:20 am
    Post #108 - September 17th, 2021, 11:20 am Post #108 - September 17th, 2021, 11:20 am
    Mention of Burlington reminded me of an LTH thread: FRED'S: HOME OF THE WORLD'S BEST BURGERS (BURLINGTON, WI)

I noticed that the website link in that old thread is no longer valid. Here's a new link. Glad to see Fred's is still up and running. Not open after 10 pm, though.

Fred's Burgers
    596 N Pine St
    Burlington, WI 53105
    Phone: 262-763-8370
    website
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #109 - December 17th, 2021, 4:49 pm
    Post #109 - December 17th, 2021, 4:49 pm Post #109 - December 17th, 2021, 4:49 pm
    budrichard wrote:Sap Sap is now open for Take Out This Thurs, Fri, Sat at their new location.
    https://www.clover.com/online-ordering/ ... an-racine/
    Chicken Banh Mi and BBQ Chicken Fried Rice and Mamma’s Egg Rolls are coming home Saturday for us.
    The Skirt Steak is to die for but we are having Outer Skirt I purchased from Fresh Farms for Father’s Day.
    When they open for dine in, I have the first table reserved.
    Sap Sap
    2343 MEAD STREET, RACINE WI
    (262) 456-0556
    -Richard

Just saw philw visiting a Laotian restaurant in the land between Kenosha and Racine, though it seemed closer to Racine.

What caught my attention? Lao style rib eye, though there is a lot more that looked pretty good, too.

SapSap Mead Street
    2343 Mead Street
    Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin 53403
    +12624560556
    info@sapsapeats.com
    https://www.sapsapeats.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/SapSapEats/
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #110 - December 23rd, 2021, 5:22 am
    Post #110 - December 23rd, 2021, 5:22 am Post #110 - December 23rd, 2021, 5:22 am
    Sap Sap is on the extreme south side of Racine just off Sheridan Rd.
    My previous Posts would have informed you that the location is the previous Totero's.
    Indeed they have been open in that location for a few months and recently started dine-in.
    We had the Rib eye steak along with thier superlative chicken Banh Mi last Thursday take out.
    I ask for the steak to be done rare and it is, as we sear it on a cast iron pan at home.
    The Bahn Mi is re-heated in a hot oven.
    They also have dine in and take out Pho. We have had the Pho pre-Covid and it's as good as any on Argyle st.
    They also off another Lao soup we previously have had but's it's only offered dine in now.
    Ordering works like this: opens Wed aft. on the web site, choose you items, day and time of pickup.
    Pay and the arrive, pickup and go.
    Sap Sap also offers Thum Prik beer to go and they do have a Liquor licesne.
    We order every two weeks, it's all been very very good.
    -Richard
    At risk of repeating my self, Alex and family are refugees, an American Success Story.
    Hard work, family values andAlex gives generously to the needy and Veteran's.
    Alex's previous Family Dinners were a cultural delight.
    Traditional music, dancing, and menu.
    We have come to love sticky rice.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more