LTH Home

Lake Geneva recs

Lake Geneva recs
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - July 6th, 2022, 5:05 pm
    Post #61 - July 6th, 2022, 5:05 pm Post #61 - July 6th, 2022, 5:05 pm
    Why people still go to Popyes boggles my mind. The view is great! That's it. Plenty of great local spots in LG/Walworth County. Champs has better food.
  • Post #62 - July 7th, 2022, 2:22 pm
    Post #62 - July 7th, 2022, 2:22 pm Post #62 - July 7th, 2022, 2:22 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    dirtyappraiser wrote:A few miles west on Lake Como is Mars Resort. This is Wisconsin Supper Club. It has a spectacular deck and bar with scenic view of Lake Como amd Geneva National. There is often times live music, Friday Fish fry, and Saturday Prime Rib special. Was there on Saturday afternoon for a late lunch with my bride and we sat on the deck. We had a couple of Vodka and Sodas, 2 spotted cows, grilled shrimp, and steak tacos. Service was awesome and food was very good. Price was right too.

Mars is indeed excellent, but the wait time (no reservations) on a Friday can be absurd. Luckily they also do their fish fry on Wednesday too, if you're up there midweek.

We've tried a couple other places for fish fry: The Abbey (Fontana) used to do a great job, offering cod, walleye or perch, broiled or fried, fries, sweet potato fries, or potato pancakes, AYCE but their service was always, and I mean always awful. They've since dropped the AYCE, not going back.

The last place we tried was The Watershed in Delevan. Decent food, AYCE for cod but not perch, a little slow service but who's in a hurry?
    The Watershed
    4009 S Shore Dr, Delavan, WI 53115
    http://www.watershedsaloon.com/
    +12627256445

Other favorites: Daddy Maxwell's (The Igloo) in Williams Bay -- great breakfasts, but they just lost the woman who made all their pies and pastries for decades. Taqueria El Gallo de Oro -- decent Mexican (but it's been a couple years), about a half mile north of Rt 50 on Broad/Williams in Geneva.

Here's a tip for Mars during the summer. Go, get on the list, buy a drink and go outside to the Mars Pontoon and their captain will take you for a nice complimentary ride on Lake Como.

Also, last winter we did a Wisconsin old fashioned bar crawl in and around Lake Delavan. From what I remember, Jonathon's on Brick Street, Delavan won. The Watershed was a close second, and Wisco Bar and Grill also in downtown Delavan was third. However, results may have been a little muddled.
  • Post #63 - November 21st, 2022, 8:27 am
    Post #63 - November 21st, 2022, 8:27 am Post #63 - November 21st, 2022, 8:27 am
    Met some friends at Fire2Fork in Delavan over the weekend. Very pleasantly surprised. Nice space with a farm-to-table approach (including locally-sourced beef). Very meat-centric, they have a large open kitchen with an Argentine grill over hardwood. Also has very good wood-fired pizzas and a decent assortment of burgers. Great cocktail menu. Quick trip from Lake Geneva and a far cry better than anything I've eaten there recently. Was very tempted by the blackened walleye special, but I passed.

https://fire2fork.com/

Also, while not technically a Lake Geneva area spot, we had brunch at the Red Oak in Bristol a few months back. Also avidly farm-to-table (our server reminded me of the scene in Portlandia where the server identified the chicken by name). Baked goods are all homemade and everything was delicious.

http://theredoakrestaurant.com/
  • Post #64 - November 21st, 2022, 9:15 am
    Post #64 - November 21st, 2022, 9:15 am Post #64 - November 21st, 2022, 9:15 am
    Spent some time in Lake Geneva last month and my advice would be to pack a lunch. :lol: Even with low expectations, I was surprised by how crappy the offerings generally were. I realize this post is not helpful but since the thread came up, it made me feel like I had to vent. Now, hopefully, back to more helpful posts. :oops:

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #65 - November 21st, 2022, 9:30 am
    Post #65 - November 21st, 2022, 9:30 am Post #65 - November 21st, 2022, 9:30 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Spent some time in Lake Geneva last month and my advice would be to pack a lunch. :lol: Even with low expectations, I was surprised by how crappy the offerings generally were. I realize this post is not helpful but since the thread came up, it made me feel like I had to vent. Now, hopefully, back to more helpful posts. :oops:

=R=

As noted above, the best spots in Lake Geneva aren't in Lake Geneva. My wife also raves about Hazel's in Hebron (about a 15 minute drive). Great breakfast/lunch with lots of house-baked breads/pastries.

https://hazelsdiner.com/menu/

And for old-school fish fry or supper-club-ish offerings, Crandall's, also in Hebron, is similarly close by.

https://crandallschicken.com/menu/
  • Post #66 - February 21st, 2023, 4:28 pm
    Post #66 - February 21st, 2023, 4:28 pm Post #66 - February 21st, 2023, 4:28 pm
    About a 10 min drive, but worth it, head over to Elkhorn to Los Tres Hermanos https://lostreshermanoswi.com/
    The kids (teenagers) each got a Molcajete and loved the sizzling hot bowl and the amount of food was a great value for the price $21.

Service was great and lovely, colorful space.
  • Post #67 - February 21st, 2023, 5:12 pm
    Post #67 - February 21st, 2023, 5:12 pm Post #67 - February 21st, 2023, 5:12 pm
    Just reminded me that we went to Fire2Fork on a recent Friday and had their "fish fry." Kind of upscale and excellent. Choice of a Spotted Cow battered fried cod or oven-baked. Not all-you-can-eat, but a generous portion with a side of duck fat fries. Only open Thursday-Sunday but you'd be hard-pressed to find a better spot in the area. They were advertising a "Tapas Brunch" on Sundays, didn't ask further.

Navigation tip: if you hit the Kikkoman soy sauce plant then you've gone too far.
  • Post #68 - February 22nd, 2023, 7:41 am
    Post #68 - February 22nd, 2023, 7:41 am Post #68 - February 22nd, 2023, 7:41 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:Just reminded me that we went to Fire2Fork on a recent Friday and had their "fish fry." Kind of upscale and excellent. Choice of a Spotted Cow battered fried cod or oven-baked. Not all-you-can-eat, but a generous portion with a side of duck fat fries. Only open Thursday-Sunday but you'd be hard-pressed to find a better spot in the area. They were advertising a "Tapas Brunch" on Sundays, didn't ask further.

Navigation tip: if you hit the Kikkoman soy sauce plant then you've gone too far.

For those partially familar with Lake Geneva and Lake Delavan, this place used to be Millie's. We have a place on Lake Delavan and typically only go to restaurants in the winter. Spring, summer and fall is time to float on lake. Have never been here, but may go there after this review.

On another note was in the area this past weekend and went to Pier 290 in Williams Bay for a drink, apps, and their wonderful view of Lake Geneva. Lets just say say left thoroughly disappointed. Strike one, they have an awesome covered bar with giant hearth that overlooks the lake. It was closed. We asked to be seated inside with a view. Was told dinner only. It was 3pm and we were going to have a few apps and drinks! We had to site in the inside bar with no view. Strike two was the bartender was surly, out out, and would rather BS with staff than serve drinks or apps. After 10 minutes we got two drinks, a sippy cup 10oz Spotted Cow and Titos and club soda. No oranges despite the ads for Wisconsin Old Fashions. After a few sips of out drinks we tried in vain to get the bartenders attention for another beer and some apps. Again he was too damn busy chatting with his co workers. When we finally garned his attention we asked for the check. The tab was $25. Holy crap $15 for a single shot Titos and soda and $8 for the sippy cup beer. This was strike 3. Took another 10 minutes for him to cash us out. We last were here last March. At that time the food was just ok and nothing special. Prices were ok, but you come for the view. No view, overpriced and undersized drinks, I will pass from here on out!

We left and went to place in Delavan on South Shore Drive named the Watershed. Service was great and the Sunday special was all you can eat wings for $14. The buffalo wings were perfectly fried and the sauce was very good. Bartender recommended Mango Habanero and I went with Asian Thai. Should have taken the bartender rec. Pints of Spotted Cow were $4, Titos and club soda were $6. We each had 3 drinks. Tab was $46. Downside is no lake views. Friends in the area have also told me the Fish Fry is excellent with AYCE wither fried or broiled with potato pancakes!!
  • Post #69 - February 22nd, 2023, 4:58 pm
    Post #69 - February 22nd, 2023, 4:58 pm Post #69 - February 22nd, 2023, 4:58 pm
    dirtyappraiser wrote:On another note was in the area this past weekend and went to Pier 290 in Williams Bay for a drink, apps, and their wonderful view of Lake Geneva. Lets just say say left thoroughly disappointed.

We've been there a couple times as it's one of the few "nice" places on the west end of the lake (near where my inlaws have been renting a summer cabin for decades) that can take a good-sized group, and we've come to the same conclusion. Overpriced, mediocre, lackluster service.

We've also done the Watershed for fish fry, and indeed it's one of the better ones. I think I like Mars more, but you'd better be willing to wait 90 minutes on a Friday.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #70 - February 26th, 2023, 9:49 am
    Post #70 - February 26th, 2023, 9:49 am Post #70 - February 26th, 2023, 9:49 am
    JoelF wrote:
    dirtyappraiser wrote:On another note was in the area this past weekend and went to Pier 290 in Williams Bay for a drink, apps, and their wonderful view of Lake Geneva. Lets just say say left thoroughly disappointed.

We've been there a couple times as it's one of the few "nice" places on the west end of the lake (near where my inlaws have been renting a summer cabin for decades) that can take a good-sized group, and we've come to the same conclusion. Overpriced, mediocre, lackluster service.

We've also done the Watershed for fish fry, and indeed it's one of the better ones. I think I like Mars more, but you'd better be willing to wait 90 minutes on a Friday.

A little known Mars fact, they offer the fish fry on Wednesdays as well. Mars is my favorite place in the area!!
  • Post #71 - February 26th, 2023, 6:45 pm
    Post #71 - February 26th, 2023, 6:45 pm Post #71 - February 26th, 2023, 6:45 pm
    dirtyappraiser wrote:A little known Mars fact, they offer the fish fry on Wednesdays as well. Mars is my favorite place in the area!!

Yes I know, but I'm not typically up there on a Wednesday.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #72 - March 2nd, 2023, 8:43 pm
    Post #72 - March 2nd, 2023, 8:43 pm Post #72 - March 2nd, 2023, 8:43 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Spent some time in Lake Geneva last month and my advice would be to pack a lunch. Even with low expectations, I was surprised by how crappy the offerings generally were. I realize this post is not helpful but since the thread came up, it made me feel like I had to vent. Now, hopefully, back to more helpful posts.=R=

You would think a suburb of Chicago would have better options! All kidding aside, Mars is worth a visit. I've heard the Duck Inn is worth checking out but have never been. Will make a better effort next time!
  • Post #73 - March 6th, 2023, 9:49 am
    Post #73 - March 6th, 2023, 9:49 am Post #73 - March 6th, 2023, 9:49 am
    The Duck Inn is a classic 1950's supper club. Yes they have duck and really friendly service.
  • Post #74 - March 14th, 2023, 8:14 am
    Post #74 - March 14th, 2023, 8:14 am Post #74 - March 14th, 2023, 8:14 am
    Have not had a chance to visit for brunch but Fire2Fork's menu looks great (and judging by the dinners I've had, they definitely deliver on the food):

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=659933752801157&set=ecnf.100063536144414

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more