LTH Home

Milwaukee index

Milwaukee index
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 6
  • Milwaukee index

Post #1 - October 25th, 2011, 2:37 pm
    Post #1 - October 25th, 2011, 2:37 pm Post #1 - October 25th, 2011, 2:37 pm
    I've been researching Milwaukee for my own use, so I thought I'd share. Given the city's proximity to Chicago, it's surprising there isn't a lot more here.

This list is confined to Milwaukee and nearby suburbs -- it doesn't encompass Racine or Kenosha -- and I haven't always put in individual links to restaurants mentioned in the older survey threads. There may also be other threads and posts about the restaurants and stores besides those I've linked to.

If I've missed anything, please do post a link to its LTH thread. If you want to discuss in detail a Milwaukee restaurant, though, it would be better to do so in a thread devoted to it.

Milwaukee Food Scene Index

The index to Milwaukee restaurant and food shopping has been relocated due to the new LTH Forum Terms of Service.
    Last edited by LAZ on July 27th, 2013, 12:31 pm, edited 94 times in total.
  • Post #2 - October 26th, 2011, 11:52 am
    Post #2 - October 26th, 2011, 11:52 am Post #2 - October 26th, 2011, 11:52 am
    Thanks for taking the time to put this resource together!
    I found Zaffiro's via LTH and it's probably in one of your links, but it could be added to the restaurant list.
    1724 N. Farwell Ave.
    414-289-8776
    I was at the Milwaukee Zoo last Tuesday (it's a great zoo and we almost had the place to ourselves).
    Zaffiro's was a great stop before driving home. It was packed even on a Tuesday.
  • Post #3 - October 26th, 2011, 1:14 pm
    Post #3 - October 26th, 2011, 1:14 pm Post #3 - October 26th, 2011, 1:14 pm
    Nanakusa has closed; it was supposed to re-open late May or early June, but didn't. Not sure about the status now.
  • Post #4 - October 26th, 2011, 2:18 pm
    Post #4 - October 26th, 2011, 2:18 pm Post #4 - October 26th, 2011, 2:18 pm
    Thanks, janey and kathryn. I've edited.

Sorry to hear about Nanakusa; it was on my list to visit. I did try to check online to see if restaurants were extant -- Nanakusa's website is still up, but I just phoned and got a "your call cannot go through" recording.
  • Post #5 - October 26th, 2011, 5:00 pm
    Post #5 - October 26th, 2011, 5:00 pm Post #5 - October 26th, 2011, 5:00 pm
    We've go back to visit family in Milwaukee a few times this year (most recently Labor Day), and on each visit, we try to see if they've reopened yet....so far no luck.
  • Post #6 - October 27th, 2011, 3:05 pm
    Post #6 - October 27th, 2011, 3:05 pm Post #6 - October 27th, 2011, 3:05 pm
    Only one restaurant left in Kenosha for your list, Mangia's.
    We have been going since they opened and the quality is still there. Doesn't hurt that Tony Mantuano's sister is a good friend of ours and is the now the manager. We have never been to Spaggia!
    For Racine, it's Well Brother's Pizza, thin crust at it's best.
    That's about it.-Dick
  • Post #7 - November 6th, 2011, 5:55 pm
    Post #7 - November 6th, 2011, 5:55 pm Post #7 - November 6th, 2011, 5:55 pm
    I'm surprised Sanford is not in this list. It is constantly rated one of the best restaurants in the US, and is certainly considered by most to be the best in WI. While this thread is older Sanford is still there and going strong. http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3699&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Sanford
  • Post #8 - November 6th, 2011, 7:48 pm
    Post #8 - November 6th, 2011, 7:48 pm Post #8 - November 6th, 2011, 7:48 pm
    We ate at Coquette Cafe a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it-a French bistro with a nice wine list.

http://www.coquettecafe.com/
  • Post #9 - November 8th, 2011, 5:34 am
    Post #9 - November 8th, 2011, 5:34 am Post #9 - November 8th, 2011, 5:34 am
    This reference may be useful http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/dataon ... 09219.html as well as the WTMJ4 website http://www.todaystmj4.com/features/dirtydining .-Dick
  • Post #10 - November 30th, 2011, 5:16 pm
    Post #10 - November 30th, 2011, 5:16 pm Post #10 - November 30th, 2011, 5:16 pm
    I want to second Roots -- it was delicious. I usually don't go for more "upscale" restaurants, but this one was top-notch, reasonable (what you'd expect to pay at a nice restaurant) and everything was perfect. The service was friendly and attentive, and our server was patient when we were indecisive.
    It is small though, so make reservations!

And I also second Comet Cafe. We ended up there purely by a happy accident, after trying a restaurant that we discovered was closed. We had the fish & chips (aka fish fry). The portions are *super* generous, food was good, beer was inexpensive & delicious. We will seriously be going back to try these places again.
  • Post #11 - March 2nd, 2012, 9:39 pm
    Post #11 - March 2nd, 2012, 9:39 pm Post #11 - March 2nd, 2012, 9:39 pm
    I hate to admit I've been disappointed with Milwaukee restaurants. I didn't have a great meal at Coquette, and most of my family agreed. Went to a group to Charro, disappointed--though I loved the atmosphere.

What I did like was Karl Ratzsch's - I had a massive pork shank. It was the best liver dumpling soup I've had, and the dumplings were delicious. I think it's better than the German restaurants I've tried in Chicago (yet to try Mirabell), though not as good as a German country inn with home cooking.

Also, for coffee, Cedarburg Coffee Roasters in the Public Market is outstanding, I think.

Maybe I just haven't tried the right places or went on the wrong nights...?
  • Post #12 - March 7th, 2012, 12:20 pm
    Post #12 - March 7th, 2012, 12:20 pm Post #12 - March 7th, 2012, 12:20 pm
    I just visited my sister in Milwaukee this past weekend and we went to a few restaurants I don't see mentioned in the list above.

Honeypie Cafe - Yum. We had brunch there. The biscuits were huge and delicious. I also got a slice of bacon cheddar apple pie for the road. http://www.honeypiecafe.com/

Groppi Food Market - It's a crowded little gourmet food market with a bar in the back room. Brilliant. http://www.ggroppifoodmarket.com/

Also, it's not a restaurant, but I have to mention At Random - This is a bar, and it doesn't really have regular hours. It's open At Random, although my sister assures me they are almost always open on the weekends. They have a 15 page drink menu, full of fruity drinks and ice cream drinks. No beer or wine. The atmosphere of the place can't be beat. It's dimly lit and hasn't been redecorated since about 1965. Check out the pictures on their Yelp page: http://www.yelp.com/biz/at-random-milwaukee
  • Post #13 - March 7th, 2012, 5:26 pm
    Post #13 - March 7th, 2012, 5:26 pm Post #13 - March 7th, 2012, 5:26 pm
    Last time I was at At Random, the sign said they opened at 7pm, and were closed Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays. Fun place, more for atmosphere (dark room, stained glass lamps, red Christmas lights, surly service) than high quality drinks, though. We usually stick to the alcoholic milkshakes, which are tasty and filling.

Our consistent favorite restaurant in Milwaukee is probably Hinterland for their local/sustainable and creative cooking.
  • Post #14 - March 13th, 2012, 9:01 pm
    Post #14 - March 13th, 2012, 9:01 pm Post #14 - March 13th, 2012, 9:01 pm
    Please add this place to the shopping section:
    International Foods
    1920 E. Capital Dr., (414) 964-7115
    Acts as a small grocery in this Milwaukee/Shorewood neighborhood and carries foods from around the world. Specializes in Russian products to cater to a large Russian population in the area.

My elderly neighbor needed a ride to the doctor today and she had never heard of the place (it has been there for 20 years).
    I thought she would max out her credit card there! I have never seen her that happy before. By the time she left the nice lady behind the counter was taking many orders from her for special things for the next Jewish holiday.
  • Post #15 - March 18th, 2012, 11:43 am
    Post #15 - March 18th, 2012, 11:43 am Post #15 - March 18th, 2012, 11:43 am
    Has the Taste of Home outlet ever been mentioned?
    http://www.reimanpub.com/Revise/VisitorCenter.asp

VERY nice people, they used to have lots more cooking gadgets than they do now, however there is also a good malt shop and a small gourmet shop worth looking into (Cherie's Savor the Flavor) in the same area, as well as an awesome bakery across the street.
    Many cookbooks, some of the sales are very memorable. One lady filled her car up so much that I ended up offering her space in my SUV - she went back in and filled up my car as well.
  • Post #16 - April 5th, 2012, 12:34 pm
    Post #16 - April 5th, 2012, 12:34 pm Post #16 - April 5th, 2012, 12:34 pm
    Please remove Taste of Home from the list - apparently it is no longer.
    It is now the "Greenfield welcome center"
    They still run cooking classes, have a monthly $5 cookbook, but there are no longer any real bargains to be had in kitchen gadgets.
    They are no longer an outlet for overstocks and returns from "Taste Of Home".
  • Post #17 - April 10th, 2012, 12:10 pm
    Post #17 - April 10th, 2012, 12:10 pm Post #17 - April 10th, 2012, 12:10 pm
    merkay wrote:Groppi Food Market - It's a crowded little gourmet food market with a bar in the back room. Brilliant. http://www.ggroppifoodmarket.com/

I learned recently that this store is owned by the same people who own Sendik's on Oakland and V. Richard's in Brookfield. They are supposedly opening a Nehring's Family Market stall at the Milwaukee Public Market soon. According to this, they'll serve panini, deli sandwiches, pizzas and beer, with some gourmet groceries and fresh meats.
  • Post #18 - May 3rd, 2012, 6:40 am
    Post #18 - May 3rd, 2012, 6:40 am Post #18 - May 3rd, 2012, 6:40 am
    One of my Hot Dog University graduates...
    http://bestburgersinmilwaukee.com/dr-dawg/
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #19 - May 4th, 2012, 6:51 am
    Post #19 - May 4th, 2012, 6:51 am Post #19 - May 4th, 2012, 6:51 am
    From thw website: "Although they patterned the sore after the style in Chicago ". ????
  • Post #20 - May 4th, 2012, 6:22 pm
    Post #20 - May 4th, 2012, 6:22 pm Post #20 - May 4th, 2012, 6:22 pm
    Chicagostyledog

Dr. Dawgs was already on the list. I think that you have responded to a post of mine saying that it is a place to visit. My better two-thirds and the kid go there at least once a week. Before he opened and wanted to have a cart there to introduce himself and the paper said that he was "waiting for permission" I was at the Mayor's office demanding that he be allowed to have a cart there. My opening gift to him was a bottle of Malt Vinegar for the fries.

The place is great. He is a great guy. My wife could live there. She was part of the taste test to figure out what brand of beef he should be carrying for burgers.

Now if only the Jimmy Johns from the same complex could be gotten rid of. The a-hole owner has refused to limit the speed of his drivers down greentree road (25) which became a major issue when a curve was missed and a doctor walking his dog was killed. He also threatened to sue when Jakes wanted to open up a second location where the Nick & Willys went out.
  • Post #21 - June 4th, 2012, 12:23 pm
    Post #21 - June 4th, 2012, 12:23 pm Post #21 - June 4th, 2012, 12:23 pm
    Apparently Chicago Magazine has a brief article on our fair city
    http://onmilwaukee.com/myOMC/authors/jeffsherman/chicagomagmke.html
    http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/June-2012/Midwest-Foodie-Destinations-Milwaukee/
  • Post #22 - June 5th, 2012, 12:26 pm
    Post #22 - June 5th, 2012, 12:26 pm Post #22 - June 5th, 2012, 12:26 pm
    Brian Park, who owns Wasabi Sushi Lounge at 15455 W. Blue Mound Road, will open Kanpai in the old Nanakusa space. They are aiming for Oct 1 for a grand opening.
  • Post #23 - July 24th, 2012, 11:18 am
    Post #23 - July 24th, 2012, 11:18 am Post #23 - July 24th, 2012, 11:18 am
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/business/163554466.html

Nice people, expensive, they have three locations including the Public Market.
    If you are in West Allis for the state fair, stop by here as well as the baking supplies/equipment store.
  • Post #24 - July 25th, 2012, 11:15 am
    Post #24 - July 25th, 2012, 11:15 am Post #24 - July 25th, 2012, 11:15 am
    I think I've updated this list to include all recent Milwaukee mentions. If you find a Milwaukee post that isn't included here, could you please send me a pm with the link? Thanks.
  • Post #25 - July 25th, 2012, 4:53 pm
    Post #25 - July 25th, 2012, 4:53 pm Post #25 - July 25th, 2012, 4:53 pm
    The West Allis Farmers Market should be on everyone's list of metro Milwaukee food stops.

65th & National Ave, West Allis

Hours:
    Tuesday & Thursday 12pm - 6pm
    Saturday 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm
    (First Saturday in May through Saturday after Thanksgiving)

http://www.westalliswi.gov/index.aspx?nid=201

http://wisconsinfoodie.com/2011/04/12/feature-west-allis-farmers-market/
  • Post #26 - July 25th, 2012, 5:15 pm
    Post #26 - July 25th, 2012, 5:15 pm Post #26 - July 25th, 2012, 5:15 pm
    I agree with the West Allis market. I have not been there this season, but I have to go due to the dismal farmer's markets by me. This weather has decimated crops. I have driven past many local farmer's markets because it was obvious there was little to be had.

My favorite WA market story was a co-worker who came in early (5 to 6 am rather than 9) with me was livid one day. Her husband "got a deal" on a truckload of cabbage. He wantedto make saurkraut for the extended family. I found out later that meant 40 5 gallon containers. She really meant a truckload.
  • Post #27 - August 21st, 2012, 10:08 am
    Post #27 - August 21st, 2012, 10:08 am Post #27 - August 21st, 2012, 10:08 am
    Wanting to get away for a couple days, my wife and I decided to check Milwaukee out. In spite of its proximity to Chicago, I had never really spent any time exploring Milwaukee... I remember an overnight trip to see some distant cousins and visit the zoo as a small kid, and I went specifically for a couple concerts when home from college, but that was all I knew of our neighbor on the other side of the cheese curtain.

We left Chicago Sunday morning, and arrived just in time for the Brewers-Phillies game we decided to go to. We had a bratwurst at the stadium, but it was nothing special. Johnsonville brats on the grill at home are 10x better.

After the game, we hit Kopp's for some custard. That lived up to the hype. Smooth, creamy texture and great flavor. Red Velvet was one of the two flavors of the day and it was chocolatey with little bits of cheesecake frosting inside.

For dinner, we ended up hitting Honey Pie, recommended here and in the Chicago magazine article that inspired this trip. Arriving on the late side ( just before 8pm when they close at 9), they were out of a few things. Worked to my advantage, however, because it meant we did split the BBQ fries as an app. Originally, wife wanted to split the corn chower w/ corn muffin and the soft pretzels w/ beer cheese, but they were out of both the pretzels and corn muffins. The fried were amazing, with smoked pork, fresh scallions, booze soaked jalapenos and cheese piled atop fries. We both went with the chicken biscuit pie for our entrees, which was like a pot pie, but topped with a crust of buttermilk biscuit. Another winner. Plus, $4 New Glarus Spotted Cows! So many other dishes on the menu sounded amazing, so we'll definitely stop back on our next visit to Milwaukee.

For our second day, we planned to hit the Art Museum and hit the lakefront Alterra Coffee House first for some caffeine and food. This really charming coffee house also had a pretty extensive food menu and damn good coffee. I have a bacon, egg & cheese biscuit that was leagues above the fast food versions. My wife had the baked oatmeal, that was almost like oatmeal bread pudding. Unfortunately, she only ate about 1/3 of it before surrendering to the bees that had forced her from the table for much of our time there. I'd suggested we move to another table, but she wanted full sun. Apparently, so did the bees.

After visiting the museum and some other exploring, we hit the Milwaukee Public Market for the $13.95 lobster dinner at St. Paul Fish Company. For $13.95, we got a 1-lb. lobster w/ slaw and fries. Service wasn't the friendliest, but it was fine and it was a LOBSTER DINNER FOR $14! Their menu had lots of really affordable sea food options that sounded good. Also, we saw somebody else eating their Monday $5.95 mussels special that looked like a steal. We walked through the market a bit after eating and picked up some Neuske's bacon and some spices we'd needed from the Spice House (easier than fighting for parking on Wells).

On the way out of town, we stopped by Outpost Co-op and bought some Spotted Cow & a Bolzano salami for home and then hit the Mars Cheese Castle for some tourist trap cheese on the way back home. Definitely more to explore in Milwaukee in terms of both food and sites, so we'll be back soon.
  • Post #28 - August 21st, 2012, 1:36 pm
    Post #28 - August 21st, 2012, 1:36 pm Post #28 - August 21st, 2012, 1:36 pm
    The service at St. Pauls has gotten awful. It used to be a standard for the family (either my now passed away father, or the wife and myself) until the time the person behind the counter was so insulting and obnoxious that my wife, for the first time ever since we were dating 30+ years ago told me that she was walking out. We never went back. They used to have decent counter help, even though one of the ladies was a cubbies fan.
  • Post #29 - August 21st, 2012, 1:47 pm
    Post #29 - August 21st, 2012, 1:47 pm Post #29 - August 21st, 2012, 1:47 pm
    For spices next time, check out the Indian store at 5597 n lovers lane.
    If you are that far, also check out Karl's Country market (small very good/expensive meats and some German imports)

And seriously - skip the cheese castle and hit Woodman's for cheese on your way back below the cheddar curtain. The only reason I ever go into the castle is to get the burnable pine insence.
    The Tom's cheese outlet is skippable as well - even in the old location their prices were bad. However, if you need a gallon of sharp cheddar merkt's spread, they are the place since Merkt's shut down their outlet. (seriously - i got a 2:am call from an old room mate in TX whose pregnant wife "needed" the merkts sharp cheddar ASAP. She was sent a gallon fedex the next day and my buddy told me he owed me his life)
  • Post #30 - August 22nd, 2012, 8:03 pm
    Post #30 - August 22nd, 2012, 8:03 pm Post #30 - August 22nd, 2012, 8:03 pm
    One place to avoid. Samurai in Glendale (right by Dr. Doggs).
    http://www.samurai-restaurant.com/

it used to be slightly above average and a place to entertain kids. We just ate there and it has gone way downhill.
    Out of items on the menu, poor service, etc. Even the miso soup that was the saving grace was so salty this time that I have scratched them from my list.

Please do not confuse them with the place next door, King's Wok, who is decent for lunch and takeout.
    http://www.allmenus.com/wi/glendale/34596-kings-wok/menu/

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more