LTH Home

Las Vegas (Mostly) Off the Strip (Long + Pics)

Las Vegas (Mostly) Off the Strip (Long + Pics)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 7 of 7 
  • Post #181 - February 24th, 2019, 4:50 pm
    Post #181 - February 24th, 2019, 4:50 pm Post #181 - February 24th, 2019, 4:50 pm
    Few silly quick notes:
    Just got back from a long weekend.
    We went to the Lola's in Summerlin. It's in a much fancier space, tho still casual. For whatever reason, the food was far saltier than our last trip. Still good. I had to get that bronzed catfish again. It was just as spicy, and awesome, but about twice as salty. I finished it all, but the salty taste really started annoying me. Same with their cajun wings - aggressively spiced, nicely spicy, but way too salty for no reason at all.

The fig cake, tho. just freekin awesome. Listen, I'm a bread pudding-a-holic. And Lola's bread pudding is great. But that stupid fig cake. And the whole table agreed - as good as the bread pudding is, that fig cake beats it.

Wife 1.0 and I agreed - Lola's will be an every trip meal, but we'd rate the Charleston location a notch above the Summerlin location. The one on Charleston was a little more gritty, less fancy. It felt more like Chicago neighborhood gem, instead of a suburban, newly constructed PJ McTGIFuntimes. The food at Summerlin was about the same, but just on this day, WAY saltier. We'd choose the Charleston location if at all possible. That fig cake tho...I guarantee you, that at the very least, grilled oysters, bronzed catfish, and fig cake will be on our table every time.

Amongst our other meals, we were steered back to Hash House A Go-Go. My parents like the place, and we brought my sister along and she had never been, so....
    We had a much better experience this time. Wife 1.0 got talked into the pot pie, partially because so many tables have it, and it's spectacle when the servers dash through the room delivering it (the top crust is plated standing UP on the huge bowl, and most of the dishes are just massive - think Cheesecake Factory / Dr. Seuss.) So last time I said it was just massive plates of fair to middlin food, but this time, it kinda worked for me with what we ordered. The pot pie was REALLY good. Well, the innards were good, the crust was...yeah, they bake a bunch of crusts, and just throw them on the top. Our crust was noticeably stale, but the guts of the pot pie was easily the best I ever had. Think really good chicken chowder, and I mean RELLY good. I ordered the "New" chilaquiles with chipotle sauce and carnitas, and I ate the entire comically massive portion - all the while stealing spoonfuls of pot pie guts from cross the table.

We didn't even come close to finishing HALF of the pot pie, even though there were literally 6 ppl liberally grabbing spoonfuls of the pot pie, and saying how good it was.

We also hit Osaka in Summerlin - teppanyaki, or hibachi? (Whatever Benihana does - that type of place) Really enjoyed it. Busy place (Everyone around us had the groupon like we did.) Standard Benihana experience, our chef was hilarious, older, bordering on messy. He had sttuff flying alll over the place, but didn't care. He laughed it off. Part of his schtick was his blatant overuse of butter. He made sure we all saw how much butter he was using, and then made sure we all knew how good the food was because of the butter when we tasted it.

Nothing else too notable, except wife 1.0 is now an "animal style" convert.

Lola's: http://www.lolaslasvegas.com/

Hash House A Go-Go: https://www.hashhouseagogo.com/
    (we may have had one here in Chicago, perhaps?)

Osaka: http://www.osakalasvegas.com/
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #182 - March 6th, 2019, 12:55 pm
    Post #182 - March 6th, 2019, 12:55 pm Post #182 - March 6th, 2019, 12:55 pm
    Forget Hash House A Go-Go. Go to the Peppermill just north of Encore. Only been going strong 24 hours a day since 1972.
  • Post #183 - November 11th, 2021, 10:09 am
    Post #183 - November 11th, 2021, 10:09 am Post #183 - November 11th, 2021, 10:09 am
    No pictures but -
    Spent a week in Vegas. Stayed in Summerlin with the folks. Ate like kings. Hadn't been in over a year. Siblings came along and we all had food agendas.

House of Dutch Pot.
    You will want the meat patties, oxtails, and jerk chicken here. The Jerk chicken was smoked. They asked how spicy we wanted it, and for the entire group we opted for "mild" but it still had a GOOD kick. Next time, I'll try as spicy as they recommend along with "mild" for the others. Their "ground provisions" was new to me. Never heard of it before. It was basically a side of random starches: Boiled plantain, pumpkin, and other hard squash. Pretty plain, but very interesting. The "fried bammy" side was small triangles of fried cassava. Crunchy outside, chewy-ish inside - not much flavor, but interesting enough. Curried Chicken was decent, nothing mind blowing, not bad at all. Just tasted like boring British curry powder. Jerk Chicken and oxtails, and either flavor of meat patties were stellar tho. The Jerk was a little sweeter than I like, but still great.

Sushi Koma.
    AYCE sushi lunch. I had my list of places to hit for sushi. Koma didn't disappoint at all. Everything we had was good. First time trying salmon belly, it was not what I expected. A tad sturdier compared to the normal buttery texture of regular salmon. Live and learn. We ate ourselves silly. Nothing was bad.

Captain 6 Korean BBQ.
    AYCE Korean BBQ. AYCE sushi, and AYCE KBBQ are big hits in Vegas, and there are plenty of places to choose from. After my days of youtube research of drooling on my laptop while working from home, I settled on Captain 6 as being one of the locals' faves for the price. It did not disappoint at ALL. It's not Wagyu beef or anything, but for the price, I can guarantee you that you'll be happy. Their selling point is that along with the standard AYCE options, you get a special "BBQ Platter" which includes several upgraded cuts like a Tomohawk, some filet, and a ribeye. You can order more than one of these special platters depending on the size of your table. EVERYThING we ordered here was damn fine, and tasty, but it was not premium stuff. For the price, however, it was a fantastic choice. Kalbi, Bulgogi, brisket, chicken, spicy soup with ramen, tofu, spam, veggies, chicken kara age - other hot plates that came from the kitchen - this place was great. We had a table big enough for two grills, and two soup burners. We feasted. My parents were shocked they hadn't been to one of these KBBQ places before, and loved every second of it. They sent vids and pictures to the entire fam. It was a hoot.

Sushi Neko.
    Another AYCE sushi joint. This time, we were able to talk my less adventurous food eatin' parents to come with. Dad will try anything, but mom told us long ago she would never step foot in a sushi bar. My guess is that she was so happy we all came to visit, she was just glad to spend as much time as possible with us. Sushi Neko was another one on my list, and it was better than Koma. Big slabs of fish on tiny pads of rice, and everything was fantastic. Everything hot from the kitchen was fantastic as well. Their game is table turnover and volume, and the quality is there. EVERYTHING was great. Both AYCE places we tried were not skimping on fish size, quality, or adding extra rice. AYCE sushi is obviously pretty competitive in Vegas. Sushi Neko was fantastic. We stuffed ourselves silly. Mom tried a tempura shrimp roll and loved it. Dad didn't hesitate to grab a piece of yellowtail, and said "this is like butter!" They took a "to-go" menu and asked me to circle all the stuff they liked because they definitely want to go back and try more.

House Of Dutch Pot:
    https://houseofdutchpotlasvegas.com/

Captain 6:
    https://www.dragonfactories.com/captain6

Sushi Koma:
    https://www.sushikomalv.com/

Sushi Neko:
    https://www.dragonfactories.com/neko

I still have yet to try Tacos El Gordo which was one of my "Must Do's" for this trip. Instead, we hit the "Great Las Vegas Taco Fest" which was held in a huge park. We tried a bunch of tacos, tamales, birria ramen, and more. 25 food vendors, live music, lucha libre in an outdoor ring, chihuahua costume contest. How could we not? Big outdoor fest, 80 and sunny. Crowded, but we ate VERY well, and had a good time.

Don't sleep on the AYCE sushi and AYCE KBBQ. It might be way better than you think due to the competition.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #184 - November 11th, 2021, 11:27 pm
    Post #184 - November 11th, 2021, 11:27 pm Post #184 - November 11th, 2021, 11:27 pm
    One of the best chicken sandwiches that I have had is at Shaquile O'Neal's new chicken restaurant. There are seven different chicken sandwiches. Personally, my favorite was the Shaq Attack with pepper jack cheese, jalapeño slaw, spicy chipotle bbq sauce.

They offer a cobb salad that is easily enough for two people.

Their french fries are similar to steak fries but are only half as thick. They come out as some of the crunchiest fries around.

They have a wide variety of craft sodas with some creative herbal flavors.

Big Chicken
    4480 Paradise Road, Suite 1200
    Las Vegas, NV 89169
    https://www.bigchicken.com/las-vegas-menu
  • Post #185 - November 11th, 2021, 11:31 pm
    Post #185 - November 11th, 2021, 11:31 pm Post #185 - November 11th, 2021, 11:31 pm
    stevez wrote:
    This, and if you're a fan of old school pinball machines, the Pinball Hall of Fame is great. They have hundreds of machines from all eras, and the best part is that they all work and you can play them. It's a mecca for pinball wizards of all ages and levels of expertise.

Pinball Hall of Fame
    1610 E Tropicana Ave
    Las Vegas, NV 89119
    (702) 597-2627

The museum has relocated as of 04/21 to:

4925 Las Vegas Blvd South
    Las Vegas NV 89119.
  • Post #186 - November 12th, 2021, 8:30 am
    Post #186 - November 12th, 2021, 8:30 am Post #186 - November 12th, 2021, 8:30 am
    Hope when they moved they evened the pinball machines out. I was at the old location maybe 15 years ago and many of the old machines were tilted and/or drained down the center. And I was a good player back in the day.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more