LTH Home

Chicago to Bloomington-Normal, IL on I-55

Chicago to Bloomington-Normal, IL on I-55
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 5
  • Post #61 - June 27th, 2006, 8:50 am
    Post #61 - June 27th, 2006, 8:50 am Post #61 - June 27th, 2006, 8:50 am
    Last time I was down in Bloomington I went to Alexander's.

I, an acclaimed foodie, and one time professional grill man did a horrible job on the grill. The results were to everyone's liking (4 different steaks, all done differently) but weren't finished at the same time, nor were they pretty. The main problem was the crowd for parent's day or something with the college.

The steaks in the cooler looked great, but a few cuts were incosistent. Some filets were nice and thick, others were thin, rolled, and held together with skewers. The grill was packed. People would plop their giant 28 ozs right on top of others filets. There wasn't enough heat and steaks constantly shuffled around. It's probably fun if everyone can do their own and it's not so crowded. I loved the salad bar.

I just came back from Bloomington this weekend and went to Ned Kelly's. Someone else chose, and it sounded like a local place, but it's another Australian themed chain. (But apparently only a central Illinois chain) I have to admit, it's been awhile since I've been in a place that puts a piece parsley on the plate (does that sound snobby?) but they put out a decent, perfectly cooked, tender 12oz rib eye (the pictured was a special - rosemary-peppercorn) and the price for three guys with beer was cheaper than one could eat the same thing in Chicago (just under 60 bucks).

Ned Kelly's Bloomington
    1603 A Morrissey Drive
    Bloomington, IL 61704
    309-663-7100
  • Post #62 - August 20th, 2006, 9:32 pm
    Post #62 - August 20th, 2006, 9:32 pm Post #62 - August 20th, 2006, 9:32 pm
    While competing at the Illinois State Fair Blue Ribbon Competition, I met a lady who used to bake pies for the Busy Corner in Goodfield, Illinois. This restaurant is just off I-74 at the Goodfield exhibit, which is 15 minutes from Bloomington, if you are going west toward Peoria.

The lady I spoke to developed recipes such as blueberry-apple pies and pecan pumpkin pies, which made her reputation as the weird pie lady. She advised everyone comes to Busy Corner for the pies. She warned me the slices don’t always look very good because they are portioned while still warm, though the taste was great. One pie she especially recommend was their Door County Cherry Pie: bottom layer is a cheesecake, followed by a cherry layer and topped with slivered almonds.

When we arrived the other night, the days selection of pies were posted:

There were two displays cases for refrigerated pies and fruit pies:

The menu has a local history and assurances to the locals that Busy Corner is still their local diner:

While we were not very enthusiastic about our main courses, my Mom and I were very pleased with their pies. Mom had blackberry while I had their raspberry:

We will be back for the pie!

Busy Corner
    302 S Eureka St
    Goodfield, IL 61742
    (309) 965-2361

Driving home from Springfield last night, I called my sister to find out where was the Texas BBQ place I had seen last year. She had no clue what I was referring to. She did advise where Tachibana restaurant used to be had reopened as Hayashi Japanese Restaurant. This was great news because this Japanese restaurant was next door to the Texas BBQ place. I later found it on a frontage road just off of Veteran’s Highway

Hayashi Japanese Restaurant
    7 Currency Dr, Bloomington, IL
    (309) 664-5090

It was after 8 PM Friday night when we arrived with not even a handful of cars in the parking lot. The staff was lounging in booths when we walked in, who got up from their repose to serve us. Generally my gut feeling when seeing such a laid back staff that maybe this is not where I want to be. I had already told my Mom in the parking lot we were splitting one meal and would finish eating somewhere else, if need be. I just wanted to check this place out. Yes, its is always smart to have plan B and sometimes even C.

For dinner Friday night, my Mom and I split a three meat combo, which for $2 you can have baby back ribs as one of your meat options. The other two meats were brisket and turkey. Most of our meal was served up fresh from the steam table. All the meats came from a steam chamber wrapped in plastic wrap and sliced fresh in front of us. When I saw wrapped ribs my mind went into full meat jello panic attack, though on the surface I kept my cool. We got a hunk of cornbread and two sides of mac’n’cheese, ranch beans and purchased a 3rd of vinaigrette cole slaw.

The food was better than my initial thoughts and observations led me to believe. The hickory smoked brisket had a smoke ring, while not the very best, it was definitely not awful either. The ribs released from their plastic wrap bondage were still toothsome. The turkey was breast meat and the dud of the three meat selections. Neither my Mom or I liked the mix (between normal and hot) sauce preferring to eat the meat as-is. The mac’n’cheese was mushy, though the beans were good and the coleslaw great.

I talked to the manager later to find out when they experience their peak business hours. He advised they have a busy lunch while dinner falls off after 7 PM; they close at 9 PM. By the way you can do worse than Longhorn Smokehouse, there is a Famous Daves less than a mile north.

Longhorn Smokehouse
    5 Currency Drive
    Bloomington, IL
    Tel: 309/661-0433

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #63 - August 28th, 2006, 8:59 pm
    Post #63 - August 28th, 2006, 8:59 pm Post #63 - August 28th, 2006, 8:59 pm
    Went to visit my ISU freshman daughter yesterday. Walked over to Avanti's for lunch. Will not be going back anytime during her (hopefully) four year stint. Was absolutely awful....and the bread....well....it was bread. I'm sure all they really do special to it is undo the twist-tie from the bag. Hopefully we will be able to find a decent restaurant or two in the area, or else it's going to be a long road to graduation...
  • Post #64 - August 29th, 2006, 9:42 pm
    Post #64 - August 29th, 2006, 9:42 pm Post #64 - August 29th, 2006, 9:42 pm
    Next time you visit your daughter, take her over to Alexander's Steak House for a fun filled dinner where you will choose your own steak, then cook it over one of the many giant brick grills in the restaurant. Enjoy!
  • Post #65 - August 30th, 2006, 12:47 am
    Post #65 - August 30th, 2006, 12:47 am Post #65 - August 30th, 2006, 12:47 am
    EvilUs and other Alexander's fans: Please don't take offense to this as it's just one opinion and neither more or less valid than yours. I do not doubt for a second that you have all enjoyed your experiences at Alexander's and that certainly speaks for itself! It's not always a given that you'll enjoy your dinner in Bloomington/Normal.

However: Count me in as yet another LTHForum members that doesn't understand the fascination with Alexander's. It's yet another mid-level steakhouse (re: the pictures of the fillet posted above) in a town full of Ned Kelly's, Outback Steakhouses, etc. In my opinion, the only catch/difference is that you grill your own steaks. I'm still scratching my head as why one would go to a steakhouse, pay steakhouse prices yet take over the one labor-intensive, smoke-filled, risky aspect of the steakhouse experience: preparing the actual steaks!

Have I got a better idea? Well... (Disclaimer - it's been at least a decade since I've been here but:)

Jim's Steakhouse in Bloomington (the original is in Peoria but the Bloomington location has been around for probably close to 30 years) was/is the closest one can come to the non-franchised steakhouse concept in Bloomington/Normal. This isn't Peter Luger's or even Gibson's but it was/is pretty old school (piano bar, stiff drinks), pretty classy and pretty good. And, you can send your steak back if it comes out medium instead of rare!

Despite the amount of time since I've been there, I don't hesitate for even a second to throw out Jim's as an alternative when Alexander's comes up.

Jim's Steakhouse
    2307 E Washington St
    Bloomington, IL 61704-4407
    (309) 663-4142
  • Post #66 - October 19th, 2006, 10:29 am
    Post #66 - October 19th, 2006, 10:29 am Post #66 - October 19th, 2006, 10:29 am
    Bridgestone - once upon a time, I would've agreed with you about Jim's, but it has really gone downhill, not just in quality and service, but the place is shabby and dirty. I haven't been in about 9 years.

I would disagree about Alexander's being on the same level as Ned Kelly and Lone Star. I have found the steaks to be far superior (and bigger) than anything I'd get at the other "chain" steakhouses. I went to N9NE in Chicago last July and got a filet, and it wasn't any better than the last one I had at Alexanders at half the price (and nothing came with the steak at N9NE).

Cooking your own steaks is a group activity, just like going to a Benihana-style restaurant and watching the "show." :) Hubby and I have rarely gone there when it's just the two of us.
  • Post #67 - October 23rd, 2006, 1:04 am
    Post #67 - October 23rd, 2006, 1:04 am Post #67 - October 23rd, 2006, 1:04 am
    O.k., o.k., I give!

In all honesty, I've been living about 4405 miles away from Bloomington for over 10 years now so I certainly have no right giving any advice regarding these steakhouses. (I make it home every now and then but I normally steer clear of steakhouses when visiting).

Sad to hear about Jim's, though.

My whole point was to throw in a vote for a local(ish) restaurant and clearly state that Alexander's is a grill-it-yourself type place. This being done (and taking my Bloomington-emigrant status to heart), I'll leave the up-to-date and non-memory based reviewing to you residents!

Respectfully,

Bridgestone
  • Post #68 - October 23rd, 2006, 5:11 am
    Post #68 - October 23rd, 2006, 5:11 am Post #68 - October 23rd, 2006, 5:11 am
    LOL Trust me, I wish I could vote for the "local" guy. When I first moved to Bloomington for college in '87, my boyfriend's family took us to Jim's for supper, and I remember it being outstanding. They had a good thing going - they just dropped the ball on keeping the place looking nice and caring about their customers.
  • Post #69 - October 23rd, 2006, 8:20 am
    Post #69 - October 23rd, 2006, 8:20 am Post #69 - October 23rd, 2006, 8:20 am
    Bridgestone wrote:This being done (and taking my Bloomington-emigrant status to heart), I'll leave the up-to-date and non-memory based reviewing to you residents!

Keep providing information, dated or not, because eventually someone like bellringr will update to either further affirm or potentially contradict. However if you had said nothing, then there would not have been this updating of information.

Actually having comments affirmed or contradicted is almost a daily occurance on this board. While you have the 4000 mile distance excuse, most of us have almost none! Just a simple meeting of the minds or disagreement, which is life a la LTHforum.com!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #70 - October 23rd, 2006, 8:46 am
    Post #70 - October 23rd, 2006, 8:46 am Post #70 - October 23rd, 2006, 8:46 am
    Well said, Cathy. :) It's all just my 2 cents worth anyway. :) If everyone agreed with me, I'd never be able to get a reservation! :lol:
  • Post #71 - October 29th, 2006, 8:26 pm
    Post #71 - October 29th, 2006, 8:26 pm Post #71 - October 29th, 2006, 8:26 pm
    Took our 2nd official trip to visit daughter #2 at Illinois State University since it was "Family Weekend". Instead of standing in line at any number of packed locations, we chose to give El Porton a try. The service was great and the food was really good. The daughter had her usual taqueria order of a steak burrito, and pronounced El Porton's as one of the better she's experienced. The missus and I both had the enchilada dinners, which were huge and pretty tasty. The "guac" appetizer was plentiful and very good as were the two different salsas and chips which arrived at the table as soon as we were seated. The place was pretty crowded, and it was heartening to see that most of the clientele was known by the staff.
    As a side note.....all three of us laughed heartily as we drove past Avanti's and saw the line out the door.....
  • Post #72 - October 29th, 2006, 11:26 pm
    Post #72 - October 29th, 2006, 11:26 pm Post #72 - October 29th, 2006, 11:26 pm
    Hi,

My family just rolls their eyes at the mere mention of Avanti's. Gosh it is really something when your waiter doesn't like the food he is serving. Why we didn't take it as a hint to flee, I will never know.

Haven't been to El Porton, though if you don't mind I will repost their address:

El Porton
    901 Main Street
    Bloomington, IL
    Fri-Mon: 9 AM - 9 PM
    Tue-Thurs: 11 AM - 9 PM

Regards,
    Last edited by Cathy2 on October 30th, 2006, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Cathy2

• Post #73 - October 30th, 2006, 7:49 am
    Post #73 - October 30th, 2006, 7:49 am Post #73 - October 30th, 2006, 7:49 am
    Whoops.....so sorry that I didn't post their address... :oops:

I do believe that Avanti's "draw" as it were, is the fact that it's within walking distance of the campus...

El Porton is a five minute drive...and well worth it. We tried to warn others about our experience at Avanti's, but yet the joint was jammed...go figure!
  • Post #74 - October 30th, 2006, 10:41 am
    Post #74 - October 30th, 2006, 10:41 am Post #74 - October 30th, 2006, 10:41 am
    I think Avanti's is just like any other college hangout - it's relatively inexpensive, the food is filling and plentiful, and it's convenient. When I was in college, our pizza of choice was Grog's, or Pizza World. Certainly not in the same universe as Rosati's or even Monical's, but that's what we could afford. :)

Regarding the Busy Corner cafe in Goodfield - we went there with my in-laws one night and found the entrees to be hit or miss, though none of them were bad, and the pie was excellent. Hubby got some sort of chocolate pie while I opted for rhubarb. Hubby's dad had the pork chop special for the day and they were incredibly tender, thick, and flavorful! My bbq pork sandwich was so-so, and the cheese soup isn't anything I'll get again. His mom had some sort of fried fish which she said was very good, and I don't recall what he had besides a huge basket of fried shrooms. Warning - their mashed potatoes are sudden spuds, so avoid them.

I'm curious - why such hate for Famous Daves? :?: While their brisket may not be the best I've ever eaten, I think their ribs are to die for good, and I prefer beef ribs. I also like their Wilbur beans over most any other baked beans I've had except perhaps my own recipe.
  • Post #75 - November 28th, 2006, 11:35 pm
    Post #75 - November 28th, 2006, 11:35 pm Post #75 - November 28th, 2006, 11:35 pm
    From a frequent traveler who has extended family in B-N area:

1) There's actually a pretty decent Chinese buffet in Bloomington (E side; of all things, directly South of the Hooters) on Hershey Road.

Ming's Restaurant
    407 N Hershey Rd
    Bloomington, IL 61704
    309 663-2883

It's actually not too bad (buffet selection is actually fairly impressive). It's clean, and it's busy. Lots of local residents, and students will drive here over other closer Chinese restaurants.

Lunch is about $8 per, dinner is about $15 per.

2) If you are running I-39 and you are running N of Bloomington-Normal, but you don't know where to go for a pretty decent sit-down meal. The 2 best places I tend to stop at are in Toluca, IL. (About 5 min. off I-39 to get to Toluca).

Capponi's Italian Restaurant
    Mona's Italian Restaurant
    202 North Main Street
    Toluca, Illinois 61369
    Phone (815) 452-2303
    email: Info@monas-capponis.com

Btw, the website actually allows you to see their base menu.

There's actually 2 separate restaurants, loated a block apart. Both are on the E side of Main Street (actually, IL Route 117)

Capponi's is open Mon-Tues; and Fri through Sun (closed Wends & Thurs).
    Phone # is (815) 452-2343

Mona's is open Wends through Sun (closed Mon & Tues).
    Phone # is (815) 452-2303

Both restaurants are run by the same extended family. They also just opened up a place in Pontiac, and there's another restaurant over in the Tremont area (Tazewell County).

Love the ribs, the prime rib, and the chicken.

3) If you are running I-57 & are around Manteno, take the Manteno exit, go through town, and on the East side is Tuscany Steak and Pasta House. This is a family operation that has restaurants in Tuscola, Decatur, and Paris, IL. Open 7 days a week.

Phone #'s are:
    Manteno: (815) 468-9810
    Tuscola: (217) 253-1030
    Decatur: (217) 429-7000
    Paris: (217) 466-1610

4) One other btw to add in:

If you are in B-N and you have ever had a craving for "Beer-Nuts" (we'll see who knows what I'm talking about), Shirk Products in Bloomington makes them.

They have an outlet store in S Bloomington about a half mile N of the IL-51 South/I-74 interchange. The location is at 2027 S Main St, Bloomington, 61704. Phone number is (309) 829-8091

If I remember correctly, it's open like 10-5 daily and on Saturday morning. They take credit cards, wihch is a good deal, because every time I go in there, I spend $40++ bucks.

Their website is: beernuts.com

If you get off I-74, exit & turn North into Bloomington. As you come up to the McDonalds restaurant on the corner, you have to be in the left turn lane. You'll see the Beer-Nuts outlet sign.
  • Post #76 - December 10th, 2006, 11:16 pm
    Post #76 - December 10th, 2006, 11:16 pm Post #76 - December 10th, 2006, 11:16 pm
    A new independent restaurant opened in Bloomington. It's called The Redfire Grille and is located off of Morrisey and S. Veteran's Parkway in the same center as Famous Dave's (where the old Jerry's Grill used to be).

http://www.theredfiregrille.com/index.html

I read that they have a Sunday brunch buffet, so hubby and I headed over this morning to try it out.

The buffet started out with a big basket of assorted french and italian breads along with three homemade butters - pesto, sun-dried tomato, and garlic. Next was a tray with cheeses, various crudités, bruschetta topping, smoked salmon, a cold pasta salad with sun-dried tomatoes, and a few very fresh-looking salad fixings.

In the hot food department there was french toast made with italian bread, sausage links, bacon, scrambled cheesy eggs, a delicious breakfast casserole with ham, fried potatoes, andouille-stuffed chicken breast with buttery parmesan pasta, and mediterranean quiche.

The desserts are still being worked on (they had some pretty boring pastry pieces) but the cheesecake, flaky lemon pastries, walnut brownies, and chocolate pecan pie were more than enough. :D All non-alcoholic drinks were included with the buffet price of $12.95.

The service was friendly and attentive, and they asked for our feedback on everything from lighting to food quality to what we’d like to see on the buffet in the future. They’ve only been open a month, and it sounds like the owner/chef has a good thing going. I hope so - the location they’re in seems to have been cursed in the past, but mostly by poor management IMO.

Hubby and I are looking forward to going back for their dinner menu. I'm especially drooling over the sweet potato fries. :)
  • Post #77 - December 12th, 2006, 7:18 pm
    Post #77 - December 12th, 2006, 7:18 pm Post #77 - December 12th, 2006, 7:18 pm
    I don't mean to be picky, but just so you know, Deer Park (and Biaggis) is not outside of Rockford... it's next to Long Grove, Barrington and Lake Zurich!!!
  • Post #78 - December 16th, 2006, 6:21 pm
    Post #78 - December 16th, 2006, 6:21 pm Post #78 - December 16th, 2006, 6:21 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:While competing at the Illinois State Fair Blue Ribbon Competition, I met a lady who used to bake pies for the Busy Corner in Goodfield, Illinois. This restaurant is just off I-74 at the Goodfield exhibit, which is 15 minutes from Bloomington, if you are going west toward Peoria.

The lady I spoke to developed recipes such as blueberry-apple pies and pecan pumpkin pies, which made her reputation as the weird pie lady. She advised everyone comes to Busy Corner for the pies. She warned me the slices don’t always look very good because they are portioned while still warm, though the taste was great. One pie she especially recommend was their Door County Cherry Pie: bottom layer is a cheesecake, followed by a cherry layer and topped with slivered almonds.

Busy Corner
    302 S Eureka St
    Goodfield, IL 61742
    (309) 965-2361

Cathy2, Thanks for this report. I stopped at Busy Corner on my way home from Peoria yesterday and grabbed a few slices to go. I had high hopes for the Door County Cherry Pie, but the layer that was supposed to be cheesecake was more like a too-sweet custard. There was also way more whipped cream than cherries. However the rhubarb pie was phenomenal. I took a few bites in the car but convinced myself to save it and warm it up when I got home and top it with vanilla bean ice cream. It was heaven. The pumpkin was also very nice, but by the time I sampled it the crust had already wilted considerably. Still, tasty. I will be back the next time I go to Peoria! It is a very easy-on, easy off exit on the highway. Thanks again for this recommendation, it made the drive home go a bit faster!
    “Avoid restaurants with names that are improbable descriptions, such as the Purple Goose, the Blue Kangaroo or the Quilted Orangutan.”
    -Calvin Trillin
  • Post #79 - July 12th, 2007, 12:51 pm
    Post #79 - July 12th, 2007, 12:51 pm Post #79 - July 12th, 2007, 12:51 pm
    From the pantagraph:

NORMAL -- After more than a 50-year absence, the popular loose meat Maid-Rite sandwiches soon will be available in the Twin Cities again.

Bill Sheridan, owner of Foul Shots, and his son-in-law Tony Sandere, are opening a Maid-Rite restaurant in the commercial center at the corner of Main and Willow streets in Normal.

Sandere will manage the restaurant, Sheridan said. It’s expected to open the first week of August.

• Post #80 - August 15th, 2007, 3:02 pm
    Post #80 - August 15th, 2007, 3:02 pm Post #80 - August 15th, 2007, 3:02 pm
    there's a good taqueira next to the mexican grocery store on main i think... this is before weslyan and before el porton coming from the highway (veterans parkway 55?)... its before the used car dealerships also... i think this would be going northbound. oh, they also have a harold's chicken in bloomington. its on market (going west on market from main). there's not much in bloomington imo, but that taquiera is really good and their salsas are VERY spicey. salud!

well there's also a cracker barrel on market... that's further west from the harold's just stay on market till you see it... its next to a mcdonalds
  • Post #81 - August 24th, 2007, 6:04 am
    Post #81 - August 24th, 2007, 6:04 am Post #81 - August 24th, 2007, 6:04 am
    from the pantagraph:

Ned Kelly’s Steakhouse enjoyed a 15-year run at the Brandtville Center at Veterans Parkway and Morrissey Drive, but it’s economically unfeasible to do business now, owner John Schmitt said Monday. The Australian-themed restaurant closed Sunday.

“Competing with big chains is really hard,” Schmitt said. “We just didn’t have an answer … People love new places, and they go to them.”

The comments are really funny, with many making suggestions for new restaurants....chains!
  • Post #82 - June 28th, 2008, 6:26 am
    Post #82 - June 28th, 2008, 6:26 am Post #82 - June 28th, 2008, 6:26 am
    Driving back from Missouri last weekend, we were approaching Bloomington-Normal around dinner time. We found a very credible Indian restaurant which I don't think has been mentioned in this thread. It's right off of the Business Loop extension of I-55 so if you are planning ahead, it would be easy to get to. (We weren't, and needed to drive about 15 minutes across town from the main I-55 to get there. No big deal.)

The place was totally empty on a Sunday evening, but the food was good. They advertise "Indo-Chinese" as one part of their menu, but it amounts to a couple of kinds of fried rice, one or two noodle dishes, and Chicken 65. The menu has an entree Chicken 65 which is no longer served, but the appetizer form was excellent. Perfectly fried chunks of chicken, red as in tandoor style, a little salty (which is fine with me) and generally reminiscent of Chicken McNuggets, but far better (and not breaded).

Otherwise, we ordered standard Indian fare. A respectable masala dosai (they had 6-8 dosai variants, although the one with green lentil dough which was our first choice was not available.) Good palak paneer and aloo gobi, as well as a nice vegetable vindaloo and a very good chole batura (aka channa batura aka chick peas with puffy fried bread).

This is certainly not a place to go to trump Chicago's fine Indian cuisine, but we were all very satisfied considering we expected to be settling for Steak and Shake.

There is also an attached grocery. I was pleased with the selection of "biscuits" (that is, cookies) -- could be a good place to stop if you forgot to stock road snacks.

India Bhavan Restaurant
    716 S Eldorado Rd
    Bloomington, IL 61704
    Phone: (309) 661-0853
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #83 - February 23rd, 2009, 12:29 pm
    Post #83 - February 23rd, 2009, 12:29 pm Post #83 - February 23rd, 2009, 12:29 pm
    any recomendations? I need to go for a weekend for my son's chess tourniment. what should I eat?
  • Post #84 - February 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm
    Post #84 - February 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm Post #84 - February 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm
    Even though I know it's part of a chain, we have always eaten exceptionally well at Biaggi's Italian restaurant on east side of the ring road that goes around B'ton
    Servrs have been friendly and accomodating, food and wine, fantastic!

Also a nice side trip just south of B'ton is Funk's Grove for Maple Sirup
    but you should call ahead, they may not have this year's sirup yet....
    (and no, I didn't mis-spell it.. It's a great stop on the old Route 66!)

http://www.biaggis.com/bloomington.htm
    Biaggi's
    1501 N. Veterans Parkway
    Bloomington, IL 61704
    Phone 309. 661.8322
    Fax 309.661.8422

http://www.funkspuremaplesirup.com/
    309-874-3360
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #85 - February 23rd, 2009, 3:35 pm
    Post #85 - February 23rd, 2009, 3:35 pm Post #85 - February 23rd, 2009, 3:35 pm
    have too agree with baggai's love that place
  • Post #86 - February 23rd, 2009, 4:02 pm
    Post #86 - February 23rd, 2009, 4:02 pm Post #86 - February 23rd, 2009, 4:02 pm
    I always hit Orient Gourmet for an order of "Beef with Chinese Broccoli Chow Foon" and something off of the special board when I'm in town. They usually have a fish/eggplant hot pot that's good, too as well as sauteed pea shoots.

Orient Gourmet really wouldn't even make Chicagoland Chinese radar but is honestly the best thing I know of in Bloomington.

2103 N Veterans Pkwy # 312
    Bloomington, IL 61704
    309-661-1868
    Last edited by Bridgestone on February 23rd, 2009, 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #87 - February 23rd, 2009, 4:25 pm
    Post #87 - February 23rd, 2009, 4:25 pm Post #87 - February 23rd, 2009, 4:25 pm
    Biaggi's is good but the Davoodas like Ozark House too.

http://www.ozarkhouserestaurant.com/

Baby Back ribs with slaw and a twice baked potato - YUM!

Davooda
    Life is a garden, Dude - DIG IT!
    -- anonymous Colorado snowboarder whizzing past me March 2010
  • Post #88 - June 28th, 2010, 10:48 am
    Post #88 - June 28th, 2010, 10:48 am Post #88 - June 28th, 2010, 10:48 am
    My wife and I were driving on I-55 this weekend and stopped in Dwight, IL for a quick lunch and gas (for the car). We stop at this exit a lot and the last few times we noticed a little pizza/sandwich shop called Dwight Pizza in one of the little restaurant strips. It caught my eye because it is one of the few non-chain restaurants near the exit. The menu features thin and thick crust pizza, plus a variety of hot sandwiches (Italian Beef, sausage, chicken parm, etc.). You can see the full menu on the website linked below.

I talked to the friendly owner a bit while he made the sandwich, mostly about the Cubs but also a bit about the restaurant. He said he puts his thin crust pizza up against any I've ever had. He makes a deep dish also, but said his dough is more suited to the thin crust. He makes the dough himself - I'm not sure how common or uncommon this is among cheap pizza joints. He also saw my Airedale waiting in the car and said his father used to groom them. An instant connection was made.

As much as I wanted to try the pizza, I opted for the Lesliola, a baked sandwich with pastrami, ham, salami, and mozzarella. The sandwich was very good! I think next my wife and I driving downstate, we'll stop for a pizza. The owner said to call ahead and he can have anything ready for us when we arrive. When my sandwich was ready, he walked out to the car with me to give my dog a little treat and gave us a plastic bowl full of water to take with us.

Dwight Pizza
    www.dwightpizza.com
    20 Burbeck Dr (just off I-55)
    Dwight, IL 60420-9500
    (815) 584-9100
  • Post #89 - March 20th, 2011, 7:14 pm
    Post #89 - March 20th, 2011, 7:14 pm Post #89 - March 20th, 2011, 7:14 pm
    After a couple of misses this weekend, I stopped at the World Gourmet. What I was expecting was the typical Asian buffet. I was surprised when I walked in the store and it was mostly groceries. There was a large amount of imported groceries for a town the size of Bloomington. They also had a good variety of cheeses and sausages.

The buffet at $8.95 was an absolute steal in terms of quality and selection. They offered pita and two artisan breads, a wide variety of cold appetizers including a yogurt spread and hummus. They had a wide variety of olives. They offered two rice dishes, couscous, four vegetable curries. They offered kibbeh, baked salmon, lamb shanks,and chicken vindaloo. For dessert, they offered baklava, fresh strawberries with chocolate sauce, and chocolate squares.

http://www.worldgourmetfoods.com/foods.htm

World Gourmet Foods Buffet
    120 Krispy Kreme Drive
    Bloomington, IL 61704

(309) 663-2222
  • Post #90 - March 20th, 2011, 7:45 pm
    Post #90 - March 20th, 2011, 7:45 pm Post #90 - March 20th, 2011, 7:45 pm
    germuska wrote:Driving back from Missouri last weekend, we were approaching Bloomington-Normal around dinner time. We found a very credible Indian restaurant which I don't think has been mentioned in this thread. It's right off of the Business Loop extension of I-55 so if you are planning ahead, it would be easy to get to. (We weren't, and needed to drive about 15 minutes across town from the main I-55 to get there. No big deal.)

The place was totally empty on a Sunday evening, but the food was good. They advertise "Indo-Chinese" as one part of their menu, but it amounts to a couple of kinds of fried rice, one or two noodle dishes, and Chicken 65. The menu has an entree Chicken 65 which is no longer served, but the appetizer form was excellent. Perfectly fried chunks of chicken, red as in tandoor style, a little salty (which is fine with me) and generally reminiscent of Chicken McNuggets, but far better (and not breaded).

Otherwise, we ordered standard Indian fare. A respectable masala dosai (they had 6-8 dosai variants, although the one with green lentil dough which was our first choice was not available.) Good palak paneer and aloo gobi, as well as a nice vegetable vindaloo and a very good chole batura (aka channa batura aka chick peas with puffy fried bread).

This is certainly not a place to go to trump Chicago's fine Indian cuisine, but we were all very satisfied considering we expected to be settling for Steak and Shake.

There is also an attached grocery. I was pleased with the selection of "biscuits" (that is, cookies) -- could be a good place to stop if you forgot to stock road snacks.

India Bhavan Restaurant
    716 S Eldorado Rd
    Bloomington, IL 61704
    Phone: (309) 661-0853

India Bhavan is no more. We were driving down Veterans today to check out some tile. I don't recall the name of the new restaurant, but it is being advertised as an "Indo-Mexican" restaurant. I am NOT taking one for the team.

The best Indian food in town these days can be found at Little India. And for the risk of being sacrilegious, the food there rivals anything I've had in Chicago. They have a great lunch buffet and the owner regularly tweets his daily lunch buffet offerings. It is not the usual cream-laden watered down Indian food one usually finds at buffets. The food is spicy and incredibly authentic.

Little India
    503 N. Prospect Rd. Suite 104
    Bloomington, IL 61701
    (309) 664-6342 (66-india)
    http://twitter.com/littleindiail

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles