LTH Home

Springfield, IL

Springfield, IL
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 5
  • Post #31 - February 14th, 2009, 10:09 am
    Post #31 - February 14th, 2009, 10:09 am Post #31 - February 14th, 2009, 10:09 am
    It's admittedly a different animal, abolt, but a double-cheese with grilled onions at The Winery hits a magical spot for me, especially when Nancy is on the grill and she slightly - but just slightly - burns the edges of the onions.

I live in Decatur - are you still a resident or have you emigrated elsewhere?

Davooda
    Life is a garden, Dude - DIG IT!
    -- anonymous Colorado snowboarder whizzing past me March 2010
  • Post #32 - February 14th, 2009, 10:51 am
    Post #32 - February 14th, 2009, 10:51 am Post #32 - February 14th, 2009, 10:51 am
    abolt wrote:i'm from decatur and i have never had a burger that beats krekel's double cheese.

I'm a big fan of this style and Krekel's was very, very good that day. However my favorite burger spot in the country is the king of the 30's style ala Krekels and its a few hours down the road on Route 66 in Rock Hill, MO just outside STL. Carl's has the best burgers and root beer and fries I have ever had. I think about once a week since my last visit over two years ago and plan a trip to St. Louis just to eat there. They are that good. They also have the balls of beef and perfectly crisped edges and the root beer in the ice cold mug make it the All-American summertime meal.

Carl’s Drive In
    9033 Manchester Road
    Rock Hill, MO
    314-961-9652
  • Post #33 - June 8th, 2009, 6:48 pm
    Post #33 - June 8th, 2009, 6:48 pm Post #33 - June 8th, 2009, 6:48 pm
    Next week I am driving to Tulsa, OK. On the way down I am stopping at D&J Cafe for breakfast, and picking up a box of donuts at Mel-O-Cream for the rest of the drive.

On the way home I should be hitting Springfield around lunch time. I didn't think I'd have a hard time trying to choose my spot. However right now it's a tossup between Charlie Parkers, Cozy Dog and Krekels.

If you could only eat at one where would you stop? I think those burgers at Krekels might be leading the way.
  • Post #34 - June 8th, 2009, 8:29 pm
    Post #34 - June 8th, 2009, 8:29 pm Post #34 - June 8th, 2009, 8:29 pm
    My wife is from Springfield and we visit often.

Are you getting a breakfast horseshoe at D&J Cafe? If not, go to lunch at D'Arcy's Pint and get a horseshoe. Although you can get those in Chicago, starting today, at 6 Degrees, this is a Springfield specialty.

Mel-O-Cream has gone downhill according to many of our local friends. Cozy Dog doesn't rival Vose - a concession stand at the fairgrounds and other local areas - or Wiener and Still Champion. See http://voseconcessions.com/schedule.htm
  • Post #35 - June 8th, 2009, 10:23 pm
    Post #35 - June 8th, 2009, 10:23 pm Post #35 - June 8th, 2009, 10:23 pm
    brandon_w wrote:Next week I am driving to Tulsa, OK. On the way down I am stopping at D&J Cafe for breakfast, and picking up a box of donuts at Mel-O-Cream for the rest of the drive.

On the way home I should be hitting Springfield around lunch time. I didn't think I'd have a hard time trying to choose my spot. However right now it's a tossup between Charlie Parkers, Cozy Dog and Krekels.

If you could only eat at one where would you stop? I think those burgers at Krekels might be leading the way.

That sounds like a great plan, Brandon! I grew up in Springfield and always look forward to Mel-O-Cream and D&J is my favorite breakfast place in Springfield. The breakfast horseshoe is simultaneously horrifying and delicious, I'm quite a fan of it. :D

I'd go Cozy Dog or Krekels depending on if you would prefer a dog or a burger. Both are fantastic choices, you really can't go wrong. If you have time, try to stop into Maid Rite for an apres lunch snack, it's another great Springfield destination.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #36 - June 9th, 2009, 7:16 am
    Post #36 - June 9th, 2009, 7:16 am Post #36 - June 9th, 2009, 7:16 am
    I am going to echo Buddy's rec for the Dr of BBQ.
    We were recently in Springfield for a formal lunch at the Governors mansion
    (one of hubby's history films won an award!- see http://www.legendseekers.com),
    but brought a cooler and brought back a cooler full of 'cue home.
    O M G
    Best BBQ i have EVER eaten in my my life E V E R anywhere.
    Incredible smoke flavor, incredible !
    No sauce needed, but it was great anyway.
    BBQ beans were the best ones i have EVER tasted.
    we brought backs ribs, pulled pork, and brisket, and each one was better than the next.
    Usually you'll get one thing that's great, and the others you'll go, well, that's OK.
    But all three were outstanding.
    I only wish that trailer were 3 1/2 minutes away, not 3 1/2 hours!

http://www.drofbbq.com/
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #37 - June 10th, 2009, 7:56 am
    Post #37 - June 10th, 2009, 7:56 am Post #37 - June 10th, 2009, 7:56 am
    Well I believe I have my meals finalized.

On the way to Tulsa, a breakfast horseshoe at D&J Cafe, followed by a box of Mel-O-Cream donuts to go. Even if they have possibly gone down hill, they are still donuts, and I will still have 7-8 hours of driving left.

On the way back it will be a lunch time of the day so I will pick up a pulled pork sandwich (possibly other thigns) from the Dr. of BBQ and then get a burger and some custard Krekels.

I'm looking forward to my stops.
  • Post #38 - June 28th, 2009, 5:58 pm
    Post #38 - June 28th, 2009, 5:58 pm Post #38 - June 28th, 2009, 5:58 pm
    Joe Roger's Chili might be one of the most disgusting food items I have eaten in years. My wife and I stopped enroute to Stl on Friday, I ordered the Med Hot and she had the Med...we also had a Cheeseburger, really a loose meat sandwich with a solidified Cheeze Whiz scoop on top.

I am a chili lover and I have had it out of a can that would top this garbage anytime. The bowl was served with at least a half inch of grease, not chili colored oil, but looked like cloudy warm lard covering the bowl. It was almost inedible but I managed to get 3 or 4 spoonfuls down....I went to the counter to get some cheese, most chili parlors use shredded cheddar, and was given a small plate with a scoop of semi-firm cheese.....like nacho cheese sauce that had solidified into a scoop resembling orange sherbert.

The meat was a unpleasant grayish color and tasted like sawdust.

This place has been open over 50 years, someone please tell me it used to have a quality product because I would not serve this crap to my dog!!
  • Post #39 - June 28th, 2009, 9:24 pm
    Post #39 - June 28th, 2009, 9:24 pm Post #39 - June 28th, 2009, 9:24 pm
    chgo36 wrote:Joe Roger's Chili might be one of the most disgusting food items I have eaten in years. My wife and I stopped enroute to Stl on Friday, I ordered the Med Hot and she had the Med...we also had a Cheeseburger, really a loose meat sandwich with a solidified Cheeze Whiz scoop on top.

I am a chili lover and I have had it out of a can that would top this garbage anytime. The bowl was served with at least a half inch of grease, not chili colored oil, but looked like cloudy warm lard covering the bowl. It was almost inedible but I managed to get 3 or 4 spoonfuls down....I went to the counter to get some cheese, most chili parlors use shredded cheddar, and was given a small plate with a scoop of semi-firm cheese.....like nacho cheese sauce that had solidified into a scoop resembling orange sherbert.

The meat was a unpleasant grayish color and tasted like sawdust.

This place has been open over 50 years, someone please tell me it used to have a quality product because I would not serve this crap to my dog!!

I am in agreement that the chili at Joe Roger's is fairly unpleasant and far, far too oily, but my family was always loyal to the Dew which served a very different style of chili. When Joe Roger's was still The Den and located on S. Grand, their chili was a great deal better than it is today, IMHO.
  • Post #40 - June 29th, 2009, 6:17 am
    Post #40 - June 29th, 2009, 6:17 am Post #40 - June 29th, 2009, 6:17 am
    Well I've been back from my trip for about a week. My food stops in Springfield were great. For breakfast on the way down I did indeed stop at D&J Cafe for a breakfast horseshoe. Since I had never had one before the waitress suggested I try it with half cheese sauce and half sausage gravy. Fried eggs for me and bacon for meat.

Upon first look I really didn't think it seemed like that big of a meal. However once I finished it, I was stuffed. It sat in my stomach like a brick keeping me full much longer than breakfast usually does.

I also stopped at Mel-O-Cream to get some donuts for the rest of the driving day:

To me the Mel-O-Cream donuts were pretty good/average donuts. Nothing spectacular, but they are donuts so it would never be a bad idea to get a box.

On my way back through Springfield I wasn't up to the double lunch of BBQ and a burger at Krekel's. Since I had eaten a decent amount of BBQ in Tulsa I went with Krekel's because I also wanted an ice cream shake. I forgot to take my camera in with me, but the double cheeseburger with everything except ketchup on it was really great. The crispy edges of the beef patty were my favorite part. The french fries were only average. I enjoyed my ice cream shake and realized that a 32oz ice cream shake is really, really big.

There is certainly good food to be eaten in Springfield, IL.
  • Post #41 - July 25th, 2009, 1:50 pm
    Post #41 - July 25th, 2009, 1:50 pm Post #41 - July 25th, 2009, 1:50 pm
    A couple of good meals from a recent trip to Springfield...

Maid Rite
    Always a treat and an old family favorite. I'd never taken the Picky Eater there, so a stop was in order.
    Although prices have gone up, some things NEVER change at Maid Rite
    Rules of the House
    Homemade Root Beer
    Wax paper wrapped gum drops*
    *In a startling concession to fussy customers, gum drops are now 1 to a package instead of two as people insisted on picking out their own flavors. IMHO, this takes a great deal of the fun out of the whole free gumdrop concept, but there ya go.
    Delicious "Maid Rites"
    Still perfect served as is with mustard and a bit of chopped onion. I'll never tire of these things.

I also found a new chili place that I liked quite a bit. My apologies in advance for the lack of more photos and the quality of the existing ones, I was in a bit of a hurry and only had my camera phone on me.
    Joe's Chili Bowl
    I've been increasingly disappointed in chilli (traditional Springfield spelling) in Springfield in recent years as everyone seems to be going more and more towards the inch of grease on the top, Joe Roger's style, which I've never been a fan of. Joe's serves a more traditional bowl of red by Springfield standards. Meaty and rich, fresh, flavorful ingredients, and just runny enough to destroy whatever shirt you happen to be wearing. I ordered my hot (you may chose between hot and regular) and it was just spicy enough to grab my attention without breaking out into a sweat. Really lovely.
    Of course, they also serve Delta style tamales, made with cornmeal and ground beef.
    The tamales, as do most in Springfield, come from Art's. A very nice addition to the Springfield chilli scene. It is a bit hidden being in a back corner of the old Town and Country shopping center, but worth seeking out. Just a lunch counter and some stools with a very friendly woman (who makes the chilli, owner's recipe, not hers, but she is happy to talk shop) that mans the counter throughout the day. A few more years and some more chilli grease saturating the air and this place should look very respectably chilli-parlourish. :D I had a menu to scan and upload, but it fell prey to a hairball, so I'll try to grab another one the next time I'm down there. Additional offerings included hotdogs (Farmland, ugh), sandwiches, salads (?!!!!) and ice cream, although with chilli and tamales this good, I'd probably not bother with anything else. :)

Maid Rite
    118 N Pasfield St
    Springfield, IL 62702
    217-523-0723

Joe's Chili Bowl
    2401 S. Macarthur Blvd.
    Springfield, IL 62704
    217-793-0613
  • Post #42 - August 17th, 2009, 10:56 am
    Post #42 - August 17th, 2009, 10:56 am Post #42 - August 17th, 2009, 10:56 am
    Ursiform wrote:For a breakfast Horseshoe (have your cardiologist on speed dial before attempting this) or just a great, inexpensive breakfast, I recommend D&J Cafe.

Yes, indeed.

The breakfast horseshoe is available in several configurations, either with traditional cheese sauce or sausage gravy.

Not being a fan of most cheese sauces, especially first thing in the morning, I opted for sausage gravy and was pretty pleased.

Buried under there are a couple slices of toast and a couple sausage patties. I appreciated how they layer the hash browns on top of the gravy to prevent sogginess (a similar construction is followed for all their horseshoes). I managed to eat almost half.

I'm on record as not being a big fan of horseshoes but I'd be willing to give D&J's version a try. It seems others are fond of it.

We also tried a plate of ham and fried mush. Not awful but not particularly memorable either.

D&J Café
    "Family Owned and Operated Since 1974"
    915 W Laurel St
    Springfield IL
    217-753-1708

Ursiform wrote:It is also conveniently located across the street from Pease's, a locally owned penny candy store/chocolate shop where they have been hand making chocolates for as long as anyone can remember. I think the same ladies are running the place that worked there when I was in grade school around the corner 30 years ago.

This isn't the original location but it's the oldest branch (over 50 years) of this Springfield institution. Everything in the store is 20% off during this "Month of Charity" (and prices seemed pretty reasonable to begin with).

Pease's Candy
    "Pease's Always Pleases"
    State & Laurel
    Springfield IL
    217-523-3721
  • Post #43 - October 20th, 2009, 8:37 pm
    Post #43 - October 20th, 2009, 8:37 pm Post #43 - October 20th, 2009, 8:37 pm
    While visiting in the Peoria area we had a chance to stop at a small diner in the town of Princeville. Perusing the menu I noticed that they had a Horseshoe Sandwich. Remembering it's mention here on the forum I ordered it up with high expectations.

Henry's Diner on Main

The Horseshoe Sandwich

Pretty plain. I am a lover of most things regional (Maid Rite, White Castles) but this was a little too plain.

I might of been better off ordering the ...

Henry's Deluxe. :)
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #44 - October 20th, 2009, 9:03 pm
    Post #44 - October 20th, 2009, 9:03 pm Post #44 - October 20th, 2009, 9:03 pm
    Will be in Springfield overnight this week for a seminar. I'm thinking the Veggie Horseshoe at D'Arcy's Pint & some Mel-O-Cream donuts (assuming they aren't cooked in lard).

Any other must haves for a vegetarian on a quick jaunt down?
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #45 - October 20th, 2009, 10:35 pm
    Post #45 - October 20th, 2009, 10:35 pm Post #45 - October 20th, 2009, 10:35 pm
    I'm thinking the Veggie Horseshoe at D'Arcy's Pint

Now I know what they found in the basement in The Road.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #46 - October 24th, 2009, 12:26 pm
    Post #46 - October 24th, 2009, 12:26 pm Post #46 - October 24th, 2009, 12:26 pm
    Mike G wrote:Now I know what they found in the basement in The Road.

= hilarious.
  • Post #47 - October 24th, 2009, 1:19 pm
    Post #47 - October 24th, 2009, 1:19 pm Post #47 - October 24th, 2009, 1:19 pm
    Back from Springfield. The Veggie Ponyshoe(it's a smaller horseshoe) at D'arcy's Pint was okay. I would do it again with the sauce on the side. Unfortunately, my companion freaked out when she saw it. I could tell she was mentally trying to figure out how she could eat it all and if she did eat it all how many calories it would be. She ordered a chicken Ceasar salad (joy :oops: ). She then asked how I could eat that and not be the size of a house <sigh>. I told her I ate what I wanted and tend to stop before stuffed.

The service was good. The spicy cheese sauce was weak and had no hint of spice (or heat) to it. All & all I would do it again if I was in Springfield, but not something I'm craving.

Mel-O-Cream Donuts are perfectly good donuts, as someone said upthread. I ordered mine to pick up the next day since they told me they generally close by 12 because they've sold out. I got there a bit after 8 am and sure enough, some donuts were already sold out. Unfortunately, Old Fashioned Donuts is now my standard for all other donuts. I had glazed & an apple fritter. They were fine if you are in Springfield. If you are in Chicago, definitely haul on over to Old Fashioned Donuts.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #48 - March 30th, 2010, 8:03 am
    Post #48 - March 30th, 2010, 8:03 am Post #48 - March 30th, 2010, 8:03 am
    The Wall Street Journal has a video up about the horseshoe, including the new deep fried version.

See http://online.wsj.com/video/a-horseshoe ... carousel_1
  • Post #49 - April 4th, 2010, 5:43 pm
    Post #49 - April 4th, 2010, 5:43 pm Post #49 - April 4th, 2010, 5:43 pm
    Was in Springfield this week, just wanted to add my thoughts on our few meals there. We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott, seemed to be SW of downtown by a bit. The bbq trailer was already closed since we arrived late Wednesday night, so I'd decided on Darcy's Pint but the hotel guy talked my husband into Moriah's, a steak/Italian place right nearby. It was fine, acceptable, nothing spectacular but tasty enough pepper-crusted filets.

After our visit to the Lincoln museum on Thursday morning we found our way to the Cozy Dog and have to tell you we found those corndogs to be a revelation. Not an aficionado by any means but wow were they good!! Great fries too! Mel-o-cream next door was already closed so sadly we didn't get to try those either.

Thanks for all the tips on this thread!
  • Post #50 - April 16th, 2010, 6:56 am
    Post #50 - April 16th, 2010, 6:56 am Post #50 - April 16th, 2010, 6:56 am
    Never take advice from a hotel guy. Someone famous said that, right? :)
  • Post #51 - April 16th, 2010, 8:35 am
    Post #51 - April 16th, 2010, 8:35 am Post #51 - April 16th, 2010, 8:35 am
    charlie parker's diner
    700 north st.
    springfield,il.
    (217)241-2104
    charlieparkersdiner.net

this place is great . post is on page 5 ?
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #52 - April 16th, 2010, 2:15 pm
    Post #52 - April 16th, 2010, 2:15 pm Post #52 - April 16th, 2010, 2:15 pm
    I've got to say, just looking at that that horse shoe thing makes my stomach turn :|
  • Post #53 - April 16th, 2010, 2:46 pm
    Post #53 - April 16th, 2010, 2:46 pm Post #53 - April 16th, 2010, 2:46 pm
    i did not try that either.
    had fried chicken .it was great in the top 10 fried chicken's for me
    cool diner though
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #54 - May 6th, 2010, 10:14 pm
    Post #54 - May 6th, 2010, 10:14 pm Post #54 - May 6th, 2010, 10:14 pm
    I already knew day two would be started at the above featured D&J Cafe for a breakfast horseshoe. I don't have much to add but this was a real locals type spot. It was busy and I of course had to go with a breakfast horseshoe. I went with a sausage patty half and half (cheese and sausage gravy) and I liked the gravy side but the cheese was too much. I think Ill get a ham with all sausage gravy next time.

Video of the madness

After dropping my buddy off at the capitol I decided to take a ride around. Washington Park is a really nice public park and a great place to drive thru or walk/bike/run if that's your thing. So after about an hour of riding around I spotted a place I had been told about the night before while over at Floyds bar near the capitol. It was a hazy night since they stock a bunch of whiskey/scotch/bourbon selections but I did remember one thing. I was hanging out with a chef and butler from the Governors mansion all night and we eventually got to talking about food. I asked where there favorite joints were etc...and then what their favorite burger was. They told me Hamburger Dan's was the spot for Springfields best burger. They also told me Krekels (seen above) was the second best but they loved how at Sunrise Cafe aka Hamburger Dan's only put grilled onions and pickles on their burgers. It sounded like my type of spot and a place I had to visit. I happened to drive by within an hour after eating that horseshoe, but I had to do it.

I have had it, today and yesterday in fact

Sunrise cafe seems to be Springfield's other breakfast spot along with D&J and Charlie Parkers. I spied some police in the parking lot and quite a few people at the counter and at the tables. I already knew what I was getting since Sunrise is known for its burgers. I placed my order of a double cheeseburger with the super nice waitress and spied the flattop to see how they were done. How were they done? to perfection. The grillman took two balls of beef and threw them on and followed it with this slick procedure with his spatula that turned the balls of beef into as thin of patties as possible without piercing thru. He then threw a whole sliced onion on top of each patty and let them cook a couple minutes followed by flipping them over. The cheap bun was put on the flattop for a few minutes and then the pickles and cheese went on and I couldn't wait to see and try this highly rec'd burger.

Hamburger Dan's double cheeseburger

I took it to go to eat at a table outside and was given a couple packets of mustard (no ketchup, Im fine by that) and some napkins. I dont really have to explain how good it was after seeing that photo do I? it was the best I have had in a while maybe my new favorite ever. It reminded of of a long gone place called Glenns on Fullerton off Ashland. So simple and so good. Seek this out, I had one for breakfast today on the way out of town.

After the burger I got bored and decided to head to the Capitol and try a Coney Island joint I spied across the street from the bar I was at the night before. It seemed as though a local Tex-Mex type place bought this Coney Stand that claimed existence since 1919 and started serving AmeriMex type meals there along with the original menu.

Near the Cap

Not much to report here. I got a coney with cheese but should have without. I liked the coney sauce but the cheese was horseshoe like, Springfield loves their cheese too I guess. I didn't like this on there.

Coney Dog from Springfield's Coney Island

After picking up my boy he asked what we were doing for food? Oh man I just ate everything pictured above and was pretty damn full but he wanted to take up on the offer the chef at the mansion made to us. When we talked to him of the Buffalo carp he said that we could get it from a local fish supplier which he gave us the address too and bring it to the mansion and he'd cook some up for us. It was an offer we couldn't refuse but since the house is in session he had a last second thing he had to do and was super sorry to cancel but did leave us with this bit of info "seek out the West Woods Lodge, they may have it" and so we did.

a locals favorite

Everywhere you look...

A lady who works with my buddy said her husband loves the pizza here and since we got the tip above about Buffalo Carp we headed over to see whats up. Picture a place owned by a big time hunter. A place where the walls are decked out in stuffed animals (not the ones kids like) that were shot by him on trips around the world. This Northwoods type lodge/bar is exactly what you have pictured in your head. It was our lucky day as we spotted on the menu Treadway Lake Buffalo Carp. So I had to order it. They also have horseshoes with buffalo, elk or crawfish here. Oh and we also got a pizza, why not right? at this point I might as well eat all night into the morning.

Buffalo Carp Dinner

I was so full I didn't think I would eat much of this sandwich and then this massive plate pictured above comes popping out. Well I manned up and started digging in. Before I knew it I had eaten a sandwich of it and pretty much every piece of flesh off the skin. It was different as far as the looks and handle but the super flaky flesh was perfectly breaded and pulled off really easy like you see in this video below. I hope this video I took below gives people a picture of what this Central Illinois delicacy is all about. I would love some right now, very much enjoyed it.

Buffalo Sandwich

Video from my plate

I loved it, really flaky

What about the pizza? Not bad at all, pretty damn good. It did me real well at 3 in da morning. I wish I could go on and remember more but I'm in a haze. I ended up watching the Blackhawks at a locals bar called the Curve Inn while my buddy schleped with _____. I ended up doing shots with some biker gangs and some CPD in town for a memorial until 3a. Why was the bike gang drinking Jager and the popo drinking rumpleminze? that shat aint tough. You better believe I called them out on it as I threw down my Jameson and celebratory (cinco de mayo) tequila shots. Quite the evening at the old Curve Inn, like you get in the movies when the characters walk into a random bikers bar. Except I guess they all liked me.

Tavern Style Pizza in Springfield.

D&J Café
    "Family Owned and Operated Since 1974"
    915 W Laurel St
    Springfield IL
    217-753-1708

Sunrise Cafe aka Hamburger Dan's
    1201 South 2nd Street
    Springfield, IL 62704-3008
    (217) 753-1311

Coney Island
    219 South 5th Street
    Springfield, IL 62701-1406
    (217) 528-1193

Westwoods Lodge Pub & Grill
    2406 West Jefferson Street
    Springfield, IL 62702-3403
    (217) 698-9256

Curve Inn
    3219 South 6th Street
    Springfield, IL 62703
    (217) 529-5806
  • Post #55 - May 7th, 2010, 8:03 am
    Post #55 - May 7th, 2010, 8:03 am Post #55 - May 7th, 2010, 8:03 am
    Hi,

The Westwoods Lodge was known for its frog legs in the past; they changed the menu with new owners.

The bars and restaurants "near the Capitol" are actually one block from the Old Capitol Plaza. Floyd's Thirst Parlor has a really great selection of draft beers with some fine micro-ales. The Coney Island is reborn from one of the oldest restaurants in Springfield run by the Gikas family. The original had two large very old moose heads that had collected fry grease for over 40 years. They served wonderful hand-cut french fries into the 1980's; for those, Springfieldians have to go to Hot Dougs.

Greg, the chef at the Governor's Mansion is an excellent chef with a kind heart. I suspect he was with his brother at Floyds.

Tim
  • Post #56 - May 7th, 2010, 9:17 am
    Post #56 - May 7th, 2010, 9:17 am Post #56 - May 7th, 2010, 9:17 am
    Da Beef! An epic post and am still amazed at your eating Prowess!!
    Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans?...........Louis Armstrong
  • Post #57 - May 7th, 2010, 10:12 am
    Post #57 - May 7th, 2010, 10:12 am Post #57 - May 7th, 2010, 10:12 am
    Hi,

This query straddles both Decatur and Springfield. At a dinner, I sat next to a guy who once worked at the Pizza Factory in Springfield. He said their pizzas are 48 inches long or better.

He said the Springfield location (if still open) is no longer under the original owner's direction with quality suffering. The one in Decatur is still as good.

It may have a novel size, but how does it taste?

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #58 - May 7th, 2010, 7:36 pm
    Post #58 - May 7th, 2010, 7:36 pm Post #58 - May 7th, 2010, 7:36 pm
    Da Beef wrote:I would love some right now, very much enjoyed it.

FYI: Jerry's Produce, that quirky produce bonanza on Milwaukee in Niles, carries Buffalo as well as Asian carp.

Jerry's Fruit and Garden
    7901 N Milwaukee Ave
    Niles, IL 60714
  • Post #59 - October 11th, 2010, 12:50 pm
    Post #59 - October 11th, 2010, 12:50 pm Post #59 - October 11th, 2010, 12:50 pm
    I didn't see anything on this place on the board and I've been hearing really good things about it so I thought I would share.

Ross Isaac
    1710 S Macarthur Blvd
    Springfield, IL
    217-744-7677
    http://www.rossisaac.com/

Appetizers, tapas, sushi, house made soups and salads and a dozen entrees - they strive for locally sourced ingredients and the menu changes daily. I have not tried it yet but several friends have, loved it and returned 2-3 times since. Suggested wine pairings accompany the entrees.

When the Davoodas are able to try it, I will be sure to post.

Davooda
    Life is a garden, Dude - DIG IT!
    -- anonymous Colorado snowboarder whizzing past me March 2010
  • Post #60 - October 11th, 2010, 9:34 pm
    Post #60 - October 11th, 2010, 9:34 pm Post #60 - October 11th, 2010, 9:34 pm
    Davooda wrote:I didn't see anything on this place on the board and I've been hearing really good things about it so I thought I would share.

Ross Isaac
    1710 S Macarthur Blvd
    Springfield, IL
    217-744-7677
    http://www.rossisaac.com/

Appetizers, tapas, sushi, house made soups and salads and a dozen entrees - they strive for locally sourced ingredients and the menu changes daily. I have not tried it yet but several friends have, loved it and returned 2-3 times since. Suggested wine pairings accompany the entrees.

When the Davoodas are able to try it, I will be sure to post.

Davooda

Dined there at least once a week when I was in Springpatch for long-term business engagement about 2 years ago. I really enjoyed everything that I ordered, and was my favorite and go-to place for all occasions. Prices were great compared to Chicago, and was on par with most 'quality' restaurants here.

Their menu was conducive to either dining at the bar, table in the bar area, and the dining room. Everything is very well executed with quality ingredients. Salad were always perfectly dressed with nice balanced vinaigrette. Soup were never over or under seasoned, and creamed soups were silky with just enough body, never too heavy. Entrees were as expected, generously portioned, complete with protein, starch, and vegetable, and all nciely done.

Reminds me of Erwin in their glory days.

Not sure if quality has changed or not. If you are planning on trip to Springfield, let me know, and I can reach out to friends for the current lowdown.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more