LTH Home

Springfield, IL

Springfield, IL
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 5
  • Post #61 - October 12th, 2010, 7:07 am
    Post #61 - October 12th, 2010, 7:07 am Post #61 - October 12th, 2010, 7:07 am
    I went to Ross Issac about a year ago and was impressed. I happened to drive by it yesterday and we all agreed that a return trip was in order.
  • Post #62 - November 3rd, 2010, 10:45 pm
    Post #62 - November 3rd, 2010, 10:45 pm Post #62 - November 3rd, 2010, 10:45 pm
    Wasn't sure if I should post this here or on the thread where I originally discussed this restaurant and their Horseshoe sandwiches, but in the interest of keeping as many things Springfield related on the actual Springfield specific thread, here it shall go.

Ursiform wrote: I've had good luck at the Track Shack (although I haven't been in about a year) and, more recently, the Barrel Head, although the last 2 times I went there I was displeased with the cheese sauce. Still, the Barrel Head serves a fantastic burger (cooked to order) so it may be worth a stop if anyone is curious.

I had dinner at the Barrel Head with the family tonight and we came to the conclusion that the glory days of the Horseshoe at the Barrel Head are well past. This was the disappointing specimen I received tonight:

Barrel Head Pork Tenderloin Horseshoe

Cheese sauce incidents before were not an aberration, the sauce has become overly thick and flavorless with no hint of spice. The fries on top are thick cut potato wedges (frozen, not fresh) instead of the thin, crisp potatoes they should be, and the unnaturally symmetrical tenderloin was clearly a food-service specimen. It's a shame as these guys were putting out a great Horseshoe for awhile there. :(

That being said, the burgers are still very good and cooked to order and the tater tots can't be beat.

The Barrel Head Pub
    1577 Wabash Ave
    Springfield, IL 62704
    (217) 787-2102
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #63 - November 8th, 2010, 8:16 am
    Post #63 - November 8th, 2010, 8:16 am Post #63 - November 8th, 2010, 8:16 am
    I had pizza from two great places in Springfield, IL this weekend: Bernie and Betty's pizza and Gabatoni's. Both seem to specialize in very thin, bar style pizza. If you like Marie's Pizza in Chicago, you'll like both of these. I'd give the edge slightly to Gabatoni's because they had a lighter hand with the cheese and cooked the pizza slightly more, which is how I like it. We sampled a whole bunch of toppings from each and all were great. Bernie and Betty's also does a thicker crust pizza made with sourdough. (This was not as thick as deep dish.) The crust was dense and chewy; I would have preferred it to be cooked a little longer, but I'd order it again without hesitation. We got carry out from each, but both are large restaurants with a lot of seating.

Bernie and Betty's Pizza
    1101 S Spring St
    Springfield, IL 62704
    (217) 528-1821

Gabatoni's Restaurant
    300 E Laurel St
    Springfield, IL 62703
    (217) 522-0371

I'd also be remiss not to mention my favorite pizza in Springfield, Joe Gallina's. Gallina's is downtown and is an order-at-the-counter type of place. Their pizza is more traditional thin crust; not bar style. Everything about their pizza perfect: crispy, chewy crust, good sauce, good toppings. They have other things on the menu, but the only thing I've tried is their excellent roast beef sandwich.

Joe Gallina's Pizza
    432 East Monroe street
    Springfield, IL 62701
    217-522-5271

I also had lunch at the Springfield Motor Boat Club on Sunday. This is a private club on Lake Springfield. Should you get an invitation from a member, go and have the best fried chick you've ever had. Italian beef and bbq pork were also pretty good.
  • Post #64 - April 14th, 2011, 10:47 am
    Post #64 - April 14th, 2011, 10:47 am Post #64 - April 14th, 2011, 10:47 am
    [url=http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/stew/chi-golden-beet-winners--20110414,0,3167653.storyGolden Beet Winners[/url]

Eighteen "Golden Beet" awards for bringing local food to Illinois communities have been announced by the Illinois Stewardship Alliance, an organization promoting "environmentally sustainable, economically viable, socially just local food systems through policy development, advocacy and education."

Two Springfield restaurants were lauded: Michael Higgins, Maldaner’s Restaurant, Springfield and August Mrozowski, Augie’s Front Burner, Springfield.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #65 - April 14th, 2011, 11:14 am
    Post #65 - April 14th, 2011, 11:14 am Post #65 - April 14th, 2011, 11:14 am
    Hi,

Maldaner's Restaurant and Augie's Front Burner have been the two best restaurants in Springfield for years.

Mike Higgins is singularly responsible for development of our Downtown Springfield Farmer's Market into one of the best in the State of Illinois.

Tim
  • Post #66 - April 14th, 2011, 1:51 pm
    Post #66 - April 14th, 2011, 1:51 pm Post #66 - April 14th, 2011, 1:51 pm
    Since no upscale restaurants have been mentioned yet, let me say that Osaka is a really good Japanese- Thai place:
    http://www.osakaspringfield.com/
  • Post #67 - April 14th, 2011, 3:17 pm
    Post #67 - April 14th, 2011, 3:17 pm Post #67 - April 14th, 2011, 3:17 pm
    Been to Osaka a number of times--met The Dr. of BBQ there for dinner while passing through town--and will concur; it's a very good Japanese/Thai restaurant. Good sushi and other Japanese steak house specialties. Excellent Thai as well.

Best to go when you're not just passing through and will be spending the night in Springfield--they're very proud of their selection of hand crafted infused vodkas. Best to drink and drive to a nearby hotel, rather than seven more hours to Kansas City, which is my usual M.O.

Buddy
  • Post #68 - April 14th, 2011, 4:40 pm
    Post #68 - April 14th, 2011, 4:40 pm Post #68 - April 14th, 2011, 4:40 pm
    robert693 wrote:Since no upscale restaurants have been mentioned yet, let me say that Osaka is a really good Japanese- Thai place:
    http://www.osakaspringfield.com/

The post prior to yours mentions Maldener's, which is pretty darn upscale. Ross Issac serves fairly upscale food, though in a more casual atmosphere.
  • Post #69 - April 15th, 2011, 11:23 am
    Post #69 - April 15th, 2011, 11:23 am Post #69 - April 15th, 2011, 11:23 am
    I'm sorry! I haven't been to Maldener's. I didn't mean any disrespect! I will plan to go the next time I am in town.
  • Post #70 - April 16th, 2011, 7:46 am
    Post #70 - April 16th, 2011, 7:46 am Post #70 - April 16th, 2011, 7:46 am
    Actually Maldaner's is not as expensive as implied. They offer a series of small plates ($8 to $10) which serve easily as first courses and main courses. Their larger main dishes begin at $12.

T
  • Post #71 - April 16th, 2011, 7:53 am
    Post #71 - April 16th, 2011, 7:53 am Post #71 - April 16th, 2011, 7:53 am
    I didn't say they were expensive. I said they were upscale.
  • Post #72 - June 12th, 2011, 9:50 am
    Post #72 - June 12th, 2011, 9:50 am Post #72 - June 12th, 2011, 9:50 am
    I had my first horseshoe at Brickhouse Grill & Pub in Springfield. Since it was my one and only I could not venture to guess how it stacks up against others in town but I was very satisfied. It was the breaded tenderloin version.

Brickhouse Grill & Pub
    3136 West Iles
    Springfield, IL 62704
    http://brickhousegrill.net/
  • Post #73 - August 16th, 2011, 12:38 pm
    Post #73 - August 16th, 2011, 12:38 pm Post #73 - August 16th, 2011, 12:38 pm
    Tim wrote:Hi,

Maldaner's Restaurant and Augie's Front Burner have been the two best restaurants in Springfield for years.

Mike Higgins is singularly responsible for development of our Downtown Springfield Farmer's Market into one of the best in the State of Illinois.

Tim

I just ate at Augie's the other day for lunch. I had the "Shut Up and Eat" special. The waiter then told me what it was and I was so disappointed since I wanted to be surprised! It was salmon jambalaya. Spicy, rich, maybe a little salty, but quite good. Plus, the place is really beautiful with a nice dark wood bar and blues playing overhead. Too bad I didn't have enough room for dessert, but they give dark chocolate mint sticks with the check.

That was my first meal in Springfield. Unfortunately, my last meal there was not as good. I stopped in at Caitie Girls while I waited for the train and ordered Asparagus and Roasted Red Pepper Bisque. It was incredibly oily to the point of being impossible to stir in, and I was stirring like crazy. It tasted mostly of cheese, so I can't even swear I got the right soup. The crackers that came with it were tasty. Although the restaurant itself is a work of art, the service was a little shabby - I wasn't even acknowledged and I had to request some help after waiting 5 minutes and I know at least three people made eye contact with me. Then the bartender made it sound like I couldn't eat there unless I had a reservation - even though the bar was empty. So that's where I sat.

Most other meals were eaten at the State Fair, so naturally they were delicious and terribly bad for me.
    Mint Lemonade - delicious and not too sweet. It was $5, and I thought that was steep until I saw that I was getting a quart of it.
    Nitro Ice Cream - frozen with nitroglycerin. This was some really freakin' tasty vanilla ice cream. It's nice for summer because it takes a week to melt. It tasted awfully rich, but when I asked the teenager serving it what ingredients were in it, she replied, "ice cream ingredients!" Well, thanks.
    Fried Brownie - as good as it sounds. The brownie was melted inside a crisp, buttery exterior. This would have been grand with a glass of milk.
    Key Lime Donut Hole - really refreshing and tangy. Too bad I was so far from home and it was so warm out; I would have brought some home. (They were coated in powdered sugar, so they wouldn't have been as nice by the time I got back.)
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #74 - September 9th, 2011, 5:37 am
    Post #74 - September 9th, 2011, 5:37 am Post #74 - September 9th, 2011, 5:37 am
    bernie & bettys is at the top of the tavern style pizza.
    loved it ,would stop there anytime.
    great thin crust
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #75 - September 10th, 2011, 4:27 pm
    Post #75 - September 10th, 2011, 4:27 pm Post #75 - September 10th, 2011, 4:27 pm
    I get to Springfield only once, maybe twice, a year. I've had a continuing problem of finding the places I want to visit closed for one reason or another. A recent trip was a bit more successful.

I'm on record as saying I don't understand the allure of the loosemeat but I love the look of Springfield's Maid-Rite, home of our country's first drive-through food window.

I really think you have to grow up with loosemeats to appreciate them. This one wasn't awful by any means, just kinda boring. Love the whole Springfield Maid-Rite package, still somewhat puzzled by the loosemeat.

Finally got a chance to check The Doctor of BBQ off my list. It's not hard to find but can be challenging to find a legal way to get into their parking lot.

We must have hit them at a bad time because both meats (pork at top, beef below) were somewhat dry and washed-out tasting. I've had far worse barbecue but I was grateful for the sauce.

Next we tried to visit Popeye's Bar-B-Que but, wouldn't you know it, they were closed even though their website hours indicated they should be open. You can read a recent article by Julianne Glatz about their 50th anniversary here.

Similar story at Joe's Chili Bowl, but at least they put up a sign explaining they were closed because of the State Fair. I had to content myself with staring through the window, thinking how good a Big Bad Luke (a tarted-up chili dog) might taste and wondering about the difference between Joe's Bowl and Millie's Chili (anyone know?).

That little guy was just as disappointed as I was he couldn't get a bowl of chili during the Fair.

Maid-Rite
    "A Springfield Tradition Since 1924"
    118 N Pasfield St
    Springfield IL
    217-523-0723

The Doctor of BBQ
    S 5th St at Stanford Av
    Springfield IL
    217-744-9999

Clay's Popeye's Bar-B-Que
    "Home of Dee Blazining Heifer"
    1121 S Grand Av E
    Springfield IL
    217-522-0386

Joe's Chili Bowl
    "Taste the Best in Town"
    2401 S Macarthur Blvd
    Springfield IL
    217-793-0613
  • Post #76 - September 14th, 2011, 11:09 pm
    Post #76 - September 14th, 2011, 11:09 pm Post #76 - September 14th, 2011, 11:09 pm
    Rene G wrote:I had to content myself with staring through the window, thinking how good a Big Bad Luke (a tarted-up chili dog) might taste and wondering about the difference between Joe's Bowl and Millie's Chili (anyone know?).

According to Millie's website, Joe's serves Millie's chili, which comes in two versions. The bowl version of Millie's has beans, while the standard Millie's chili is without beans. A recent article by Barbara Gibbs Ostman in AAA magazine, "Hot on the Chili Trail" says this about Illinois-style chili: "The meat and beans are cooked separately, and the seasonings are cooked into the meat and oil mixture. The chili is served with a layer of seasoned meat and oil floating atop the bean base. The key is to stir in the oil to incorporate the flavor throughout the bowl of chili." She adds, " In most Illinois chili parlors, tamales are the side dish of choice."
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #77 - September 14th, 2011, 11:18 pm
    Post #77 - September 14th, 2011, 11:18 pm Post #77 - September 14th, 2011, 11:18 pm
    Hi,

Did Barbara spell chili/chilli with one L or two? There is a swath of Illinois where it is spelled chilli.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #78 - September 14th, 2011, 11:35 pm
    Post #78 - September 14th, 2011, 11:35 pm Post #78 - September 14th, 2011, 11:35 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Did Barbara spell chili/chilli with one L or two? There is a swath of Illinois where it is spelled chilli.

Regards,

Barbara used the spelling, "chili."

She also reviews a place in Carlinville,"Taylor's Mexican Chili Parlor (Est. 1904). Have you and Rene G been there as well?
  • Post #79 - September 15th, 2011, 8:08 am
    Post #79 - September 15th, 2011, 8:08 am Post #79 - September 15th, 2011, 8:08 am
    Hi,

I checked the map to find Carlinville is southwest of Springfield. Most of the chilli parlors visited have been not much further south than Springfield.

REally southern Illinois has pig snout sandwiches. Now that might get me on the road. :)

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #80 - September 15th, 2011, 8:48 am
    Post #80 - September 15th, 2011, 8:48 am Post #80 - September 15th, 2011, 8:48 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I checked the map to find Carlinville is southwest of Springfield. Most of the chilli parlors visited have been not much further south than Springfield.

REally southern Illinois has pig snout sandwiches. Now that might get me on the road. :)

Regards,

Cathy- I hope to join you in that pig snout adventure- really Southern Illinois is just a stone's throw away for me. Let's plan it!
  • Post #81 - September 15th, 2011, 4:27 pm
    Post #81 - September 15th, 2011, 4:27 pm Post #81 - September 15th, 2011, 4:27 pm
    Josephine wrote:
    Rene G wrote:I had to content myself with staring through the window, thinking how good a Big Bad Luke (a tarted-up chili dog) might taste and wondering about the difference between Joe's Bowl and Millie's Chili (anyone know?).

According to Millie's website, Joe's serves Millie's chili, which comes in two versions. The bowl version of Millie's has beans, while the standard Millie's chili is without beans.

I think Millie's Chili is fairly new at Joe's Chili Bowl as this window sign from last month suggests.

If you look at Joe's menu board from August 2010 you'll see there is no Millie's Chili.

But one year later it lists Joe's Bowl as well as Millie's Chili (plus Aunt Jodi's White Chicken Chili).

Calling Joe's Chili Bowl, I found out that Joe's and Millie's are two distinct recipes, reportedly somewhat similar (both are served with beans) but with different secret spices. One of these years I hope to visit Joe's Chili Bowl when it's open and find out for myself.

Joe's Chili Bowl
    2401 S Macarthur Blvd
    Springfield IL
    217-793-0613
    Mon-Sat 9am-7pm, closed Sun

Josephine wrote:She also reviews a place in Carlinville,"Taylor's Mexican Chili Parlor (Est. 1904). Have you and Rene G been there as well?

A year or two ago I put together a map for an Illinois chil(l)i expedition that never happened. Taylor's was a geographical outlier but it sure sounds interesting.
  • Post #82 - September 18th, 2011, 3:35 pm
    Post #82 - September 18th, 2011, 3:35 pm Post #82 - September 18th, 2011, 3:35 pm
    :: rollling eyes at people who have not heard of Taylor's Chili in Carlinville :: I've got six boxes of their chili on my shelf right now.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #83 - May 9th, 2012, 5:54 pm
    Post #83 - May 9th, 2012, 5:54 pm Post #83 - May 9th, 2012, 5:54 pm
    Driving through Springfield next week. Any updates on places to eat in Springfield beyond what's already listed (ie opened within last 1-2 years)? I will be near Sprinfield Hilton so centrally located.
  • Post #84 - May 10th, 2012, 7:37 am
    Post #84 - May 10th, 2012, 7:37 am Post #84 - May 10th, 2012, 7:37 am
    Hi,

There is a beautiful, new Mexican restaurant that is consistently excellent. The decor is very sophisticated. The fajitas and carnitas are the best.

Here is a link to the menu: http://www.capitalcitymenus.com/prod/pdf/casareal_dinner_1111.pdf

Casa Real
    301 N Grand Ave W
    Springfield, IL 62702
    (217) 528-8825
  • Post #85 - May 11th, 2012, 6:52 pm
    Post #85 - May 11th, 2012, 6:52 pm Post #85 - May 11th, 2012, 6:52 pm
    Thanks for the info. Might check it out.

Any other restaurants in Springfield? STaying at that Hilton downtown so would prefer something near that spot for dinner. Anything upscale in the area? (not fancy need a suit but more than burgers/fries)
  • Post #86 - May 14th, 2012, 7:31 am
    Post #86 - May 14th, 2012, 7:31 am Post #86 - May 14th, 2012, 7:31 am
    Hi,

Casa Real is 5 minutes away by car, but worth the trip. There are two good restaurants downtown, both casual.

Maldaner's has really nice small plates. http://www.maldaners.com/dinner.asp

Augie's http://www.augiesfrontburner.com/documents/AFBSALADandENTREES12.8.2011_001.pdf

The dining at the Hilton is not very promising.

Tim
  • Post #87 - February 22nd, 2013, 12:32 pm
    Post #87 - February 22nd, 2013, 12:32 pm Post #87 - February 22nd, 2013, 12:32 pm
    stevez wrote:There used to bed a pretty good BBQ Shack called Popeye's that I went to years ago. They used to turn out some pretty good BBQ.

Rene G wrote:Next we tried to visit Popeye's Bar-B-Que but, wouldn't you know it, they were closed even though their website hours indicated they should be open. You can read a recent article by Julianne Glatz about their 50th anniversary here.

After several tries over several years I managed to visit Clay's Popeye's when it was open. I like the look and atmosphere of the place, both inside and out. We were in a hurry to get on the road so I ordered only a pork sandwich to go.

The nice lady who filled my order must have misunderstood me and thought I asked for tomato soup. I might be willing to give them another try but would absolutely ask for sauce on the side, no matter what I order.

Clay's Popeye's BBQ
    1121 S Grand Av E
    Springfield IL
    217-522-0386
  • Post #88 - February 25th, 2013, 1:38 pm
    Post #88 - February 25th, 2013, 1:38 pm Post #88 - February 25th, 2013, 1:38 pm
    During a visit to Springfield last year, Julianne Glatz was kind enough to show us around her hometown. The two places she took us to eat haven't been mentioned here and both were highlights of our stay.

Many visitors to Springfield have passed Fulgenzi's on Sangamon across from the fairgrounds. Though I'd seen it many times I never gave much thought to stopping in.

The menu is wide ranging but Julianne wisely steered us toward a bacon cheeseburger and chili.

Unfortunately my only burger photo shows it lying on its back but I think you get the idea. A fine, fine burger with beautiful crisp edges (even on the cheese) yet still juicy. Fulgenzi's chili is better than at most of the better-known Springfield places.

Unlike Fulgenzi's, you really have to want to find Billy's. Billy's is first and foremost a bar but they take their food seriously.

Billy's makes the best Springfield-style chili I've had by a wide margin. It's the first time all that floating grease made sense to me. Their pork tenderloin sandwich is first rate too.

Its sensible thickness allows you to taste the pork, which is enhanced, not overwhelmed, by a flavorful breading. The one we had was a tad greasy but great nonetheless. They have good reason to boast, "Best Tenderloin in Town for Over 50 Years." Fulgenzi's and Billy's are at the top of my list of places I look forward to revisiting in Springfield.

Fulgenzi's Pizza & Pasta
    "Home of the World's Greatest Hamburger"
    1168 E Sangamon Av
    Springfield IL
    217-544-8520

Billy's Bar & Grill
    "Best Tenderloin in Town for Over 50 Years"
    2790 Fox Bridge Rd
    Springfield IL
    217-528-2588
  • Post #89 - February 28th, 2013, 1:08 pm
    Post #89 - February 28th, 2013, 1:08 pm Post #89 - February 28th, 2013, 1:08 pm
    Ursiform wrote:If you find yourself in Springfield overnight, there is finally a decent Vietnamese place in town, Little Saigon. It bills itself as Thai, but the bulk of the enormous menu is Vietnamese and that is where it really shines, very fresh, well balanced flavors, and so inexpensive you almost feel guilty when you get the bill.

Little Saigon is a place well worth knowing about. I enjoyed my visit.

Goi ga and spring rolls were competently made (though the rolls had clearly been made in advance) and inexpensive. I don't recall exactly how the soups are listed on the menu but both were pretty good. The pho suffered a bit from too much sweetness (maybe too much everything in the broth) that got tiring toward the end. The other bowl was much simpler, and better for it. Little Saigon fills a real need; it's a welcome respite from the usual Springfield diet of corn dogs, chili and horseshoes.

Little Saigon
    1531 Wabash Av
    Springfield IL
    217-726-9633
  • Post #90 - May 1st, 2013, 10:53 am
    Post #90 - May 1st, 2013, 10:53 am Post #90 - May 1st, 2013, 10:53 am
    Fantastic news if you find yourself travelling to Springfield - the Dew Chilli Parlor is re-opening and the new owners have the original recipe! :D This was the chilli place our family always preferred, Rita used to call us when a new batch was just the way we liked it. Just a great place, tamales, chilli, cheese sandwiches and homemade pie. Looking forward to its return.

http://www.sj-r.com/carousel/x141681546 ... lli-Parlor

[Opening in late fall, 2003 at the original location: 1216 S. Fifth St, Springfield, IL]
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more