LTH Home

help for gatlinburg tn area

help for gatlinburg tn area
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • help for gatlinburg tn area

Post #1 - September 15th, 2017, 7:15 pm
    Post #1 - September 15th, 2017, 7:15 pm Post #1 - September 15th, 2017, 7:15 pm
    anyone have any recommendations for eats or drinks near gatlinburg tn? preferably not touristy of course
    I just want to eat what I want and be left alone.
  • Post #2 - September 15th, 2017, 8:06 pm
    Post #2 - September 15th, 2017, 8:06 pm Post #2 - September 15th, 2017, 8:06 pm
    Are there a lot of touristy joints in that town?
  • Post #3 - September 16th, 2017, 6:20 am
    Post #3 - September 16th, 2017, 6:20 am Post #3 - September 16th, 2017, 6:20 am
    OMFS88 wrote:Are there a lot of touristy joints in that town?

The whole town is a touristy joint. Think Dollywood.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #4 - September 17th, 2017, 7:08 am
    Post #4 - September 17th, 2017, 7:08 am Post #4 - September 17th, 2017, 7:08 am
    It's been many years, but we stayed at Buckberry Lodge and very much enjoyed the food (and accommodations). The restaurant is open to the public and offers great mountain views.
    www.buckberrylodge.com
  • Post #5 - September 20th, 2017, 9:40 pm
    Post #5 - September 20th, 2017, 9:40 pm Post #5 - September 20th, 2017, 9:40 pm
    stevez wrote:
    OMFS88 wrote:Are there a lot of touristy joints in that town?

The whole town is a touristy joint. Think Dollywood.

Exactly. The holiest of holy places for theme park eats. Skillets, pizza, and

. The Grist Mill's Cinnamon Bread

A big ol fresh loaf tossed in butter and cinnamon sugar and baked.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4V9Q1WyyUzs

Also their rides are top in the country.
  • Post #6 - September 21st, 2017, 8:18 am
    Post #6 - September 21st, 2017, 8:18 am Post #6 - September 21st, 2017, 8:18 am
    I enjoy Gatlinburg. I love how you can have the kitsch and then the beauty of the park right at your fingertips.

Salad bar, which I love. Good food. Nice atmosphere. Big parking lot.
    https://peddlergatlinburg.com/

Typical pub with grub. No complaints (parking could be challenging)
    https://smoky-mtn-brewery.com/

Not a standout, but a little off the crazy path. Close to a square with tourist shops and usually a bluegrass band playing outside which to me is quintessential Gatlinburg.
    https://www.facebook.com/bestitaliancafe/

And if you have time to get to Ober Gatlinburg, it's trippy fun.
    https://obergatlinburg.com/
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #7 - July 2nd, 2021, 10:23 pm
    Post #7 - July 2nd, 2021, 10:23 pm Post #7 - July 2nd, 2021, 10:23 pm
    As many of you know, having a child takes you to unexpected places - good, bad, and everything in between. Mine is taking us to Pigeon Forge, TN next week for competitive dance nationals. I have perused related threads and have a few ideas for stops along the way and during our one week visit. If anyone has visited the area recently we’d love recommendations. Been to Dollywood? We are there for a day. Please tell us where to eat. We do have one dinner reservation for Local Goat. Thanks and will post our experiences here…
  • Post #8 - July 9th, 2021, 9:30 pm
    Post #8 - July 9th, 2021, 9:30 pm Post #8 - July 9th, 2021, 9:30 pm
    We arrived in Pigeon Forge yesterday. Hit the Publix and have to say it was the most crowded grocery store I have been in since pre-pandemic times. Only upside of that was we got to chat in the check out line. Nice man from Houston who had been here a week let us know that (unsurprisingly,) most restaurants are understaffed. He did give a big “thumbs-up” to Local Goat though for great food and full staff so looking forward to our reservation on Sunday.
    Rainy here this morning so we had a late breakfast at our cabin. Spent about 5 hours at Dollywood this afternoon and therefore only needed a snack there.
    We had a delightful dinner at Paw Paw’s Catfish Kitchen. I was hoping it would be comparable to Cajun Connection in Utica and it absolutely was. I had the fried oyster basket, daughter got the combo basket (catfish and shrimp,) and husband got gumbo & jambalaya. Hush puppies were the best I’ve ever had. The coleslaw was so good that my daughter proclaimed it “stupendous” which is an adjective usually reserved for ice cream or pancakes only. Just a great vibe with friendly service and mostly local patrons. Note that due to staffing issues they are currently only open on Thursdays, Fridays, & Saturdays.

Paw Paw’s Catfish Kitchen
    2760 Wears Valley Rd
    Sevierville, TN
    Pawpawscatfishkitchen.com
  • Post #9 - July 10th, 2021, 8:58 pm
    Post #9 - July 10th, 2021, 8:58 pm Post #9 - July 10th, 2021, 8:58 pm
    Breakfast in the cabin again today. Did a nice drive through some of the park with frequent stops for walking and photo opportunities. Lunch was at Little River Pub and Deli in Townsend. I thought this place was a gem. The menu is small and heavy on paninis but they were well-made with quality ingredients. No fryer - they offer a variety of kettle chips. A small, but well-chosen selection of local beers were on tap. We sat on their outdoor patio which was shady and mellow in atmosphere and indeed overlooked a river. Our server was friendly and checked in on us often. A very pleasant lunch.

Little River Pub & Deli
    7503 W Old Hwy 73
    Townsend
    www.littleriverpubanddeli.com

Dinner was an all dance team event at Applewood Farmhouse Grill. They accommodated our group of 118 people. I don’t want to comment on the food too much as our menu options were limited due to the size of our group. I will say the mashed potatoes were respectable, the servers were amazingly patient, and the kitchen was efficient.

Applewood Farmhouse Grill
    220 Apple Valley Road, Sevierville, TN
    www.applewoodfarmhouserestaurant.com
  • Post #10 - July 11th, 2021, 5:08 pm
    Post #10 - July 11th, 2021, 5:08 pm Post #10 - July 11th, 2021, 5:08 pm
    Consider a side trip to Benton's Country Hams,
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #11 - July 11th, 2021, 8:05 pm
    Post #11 - July 11th, 2021, 8:05 pm Post #11 - July 11th, 2021, 8:05 pm
    Wow, Joel. Benton’s looks awesome. I am going to see if we can work it in on Wednesday. Thanks for the suggestion!
    We spent a good part of our day today at the LeConte Center. Unfortunately, but not unsurprisingly, we ran into some COVID-related delays this morning. I don’t want to venture too far off topic but I will say our Chicago team was the only team with the kids (and even the vaccinated teens,) fully masked both on and off stage. The show eventually went on with some changes in event staff.
    Dinner at Local Goat was likely one of the best options on the strip. I was glad we had made a reservation which had us sat within 5 minutes of arrival. Walk-ins were being quoted 1 hour+ wait times depending on the size of their group. Our server was great - unbelievable positive attitude in the midst of the tourist masses. The tuna appetizer was perfectly seared and came with a nicely dressed salad accompaniment. The fried green tomato appetizer was less successful- just OK. My daughter wanted the kid’s menu hot dog and was happy with it. It came split with obvious grill marks and a pile of crispy skin-on fries. I got the shrimp and grits. I have a hard time resisting this dish whenever I see it on a menu despite the fact that I am often disappointed with it. For reference, I really like the Big Jones version. This dish had some things going for it - large, not over cooked shrimp and creamy well-seasoned grits, but lacked depth in flavor with the sauce and needed something fresh as a garnish, perhaps sliced green onions or chives. Husband got ribs which hit the spot for him and came with the same crispy fries as our daughter’s meal. They had a full bar menu with reasonably priced wines and local beers.

Local Goat
    2167 Parkway
    Pigeon Forge
    http://www.localgoatpf.com
  • Post #12 - July 12th, 2021, 4:55 pm
    Post #12 - July 12th, 2021, 4:55 pm Post #12 - July 12th, 2021, 4:55 pm
    We needed be at the LeConte center early this afternoon today so we decided to skip breakfast and do an early lunch somewhere relatively near our home base. We decided on the Old Mill Pottery House Cafe & Grille. We were fortunate to be sat on their small back patio which was nicely landscaped and featured a koi pond. Got lucky again with a friendly and efficient server. My daughter finished every bite of her chicken-almond quiche. It came with a generous amount of fresh fruit (red grape clusters, orange and pineapple wedges, and strawberries) and a slice of their house-made cinnamon raisin bread. I indulged in a pimiento cheese, bacon, lettuce, and fried green tomato sandwich, also on house-made bread. It was delicious. I largely ignored the Sysco steak fries that were served alongside but still left very satisfied. By the time we left the restaurant was full with a line outside. I recommend arriving when they open (11am), or shortly afterwards.
    We are taking the night off from dining out and throwing some burgers on the grill at our cabin.
    No dancing for us tomorrow so we are planning a morning hike that will place us near Gatlinburg for lunch. So far, Smoky Mountain Brewery appears to be the front runner…

Old Mill Pottery House Cafe & Grille
    175 Old Mill Avenue
    Pigeon Forge
    www.old-mill.com
    Note, brunch menu served Saturday & Sunday only but 3 types of quiche served daily.
  • Post #13 - July 13th, 2021, 7:47 am
    Post #13 - July 13th, 2021, 7:47 am Post #13 - July 13th, 2021, 7:47 am
    LynnB wrote:...pimiento cheese, bacon, lettuce, and fried green tomato sandwich.

That sounds delicious!
    -Mary
  • Post #14 - July 13th, 2021, 5:34 pm
    Post #14 - July 13th, 2021, 5:34 pm Post #14 - July 13th, 2021, 5:34 pm
    We enjoyed a perfect hiking morning today - cloudy but no rain. The path to Laurel Falls was scenic and not too difficult/long for my daughter. We actually saw a small black bear cut across the pathway which was very exciting.
    Arrived in Gatlinburg at 11:30 a.m. and found parking easily. We did go with Smoky Mountain Brewery and based on what we saw on the strip afterwards, I think we made a decent choice. If you are traveling with kids, they have a better than average selection for them. Audrey went with chicken tenders and they were real, hand-breaded pieces of chicken. Her side choice was Mac and cheese and it was also made in-house. Her beverage choice was a fresh-squeezed strawberry lemonade. I had a salad entree and Jonathan went with a chicken burger with avocado. Beers were decent - I preferred the Black Bear Ale over the Helles. This is obviously not destination dining but I would not hesitate to recommend them or return if in Gatlinburg proper. Our server was nice and on top of things and everything was clean, including the rest rooms. We followed-up lunch with a competitive 18-hole round of glow-in-the-dark putt-putt golf.
    Had tentative dinner plans in Townsend but have opted for lounging at the cabin with snacks/leftovers. Targeting the Townsend restaurant for tomorrow.

Smoky Mountain Brewery
    1004 Parkway
    Gatlinburg, TN 37738
    www.smoky-mtn-brewery.com
  • Post #15 - July 14th, 2021, 7:04 pm
    Post #15 - July 14th, 2021, 7:04 pm Post #15 - July 14th, 2021, 7:04 pm
    We had a very relaxed day at our cabin today. I could not get my crew to venture outside until about 2pm. So off we went to Benton’s Smoky Mountain Country Hams. We took a bit of a scenic route and the first half of the drive was truly lovely. Joel, thanks again for your suggestion because the people at Benton’s could not have been any nicer. Our showing interest in their process led to good conversation and a tour. Added bonus that our car now smells like smoky bacon!
    Unfortunately, the place we wanted to have dinner at in Townsend wound up being closed on Wednesdays. No mention of this on social media. I had been trying to call them all week at various times but no one ever picked up so we found out the hard way.
    Wound up at Junction 35 Spirits which had a few things going for it, but overall I’d be hard pressed to recommend. My opinion also could have been clouded by the extreme volume of the live singer/guitarist. Even seated outside, it was LOUD. And, not good.
    Overall, we enjoyed our time in Pigeon Forge, especially the natural beauty of the Smoky Mountains.

Junction 35 Spirits
    2655 Teaster Ln, Ste 280, Pigeon Forge, TN 37863
    www.junction35spirits.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events