LTH Home

Lyon and surrounding areas (Geneva, Annecy, wineries)

Lyon and surrounding areas (Geneva, Annecy, wineries)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Lyon and surrounding areas (Geneva, Annecy, wineries)

Post #1 - March 21st, 2022, 9:33 pm
    Post #1 - March 21st, 2022, 9:33 pm Post #1 - March 21st, 2022, 9:33 pm
    I have a week in Lyon upcoming in May and am not sure where to start! Loved the fast Eddie thread but that was ages ago….any updates from the last few years? (I know, Covid, just asking!)

We have a couple days in Paris and a couple in London too…I’m open to all suggestions. Prefer spots that are easily accessible via transit and/or close to popular areas. Have never had luck just walking in someplace.

TIA
  • Post #2 - March 22nd, 2022, 7:42 am
    Post #2 - March 22nd, 2022, 7:42 am Post #2 - March 22nd, 2022, 7:42 am
    We skied in Les Arcs several years ago and passed through Geneva and Annecy and pretty much just fell into places where the menu looked appealing. In Lyon we were too spontaneous to plan a visit to Bocuse but went to the Bocuse Institut, the restaurant/hospitality training campus for lunch. Much lower price points and all prepared and served by the students under very close supervision. The building itself was worth the visit, lots of sponsored training rooms (wine, tea, etc.). We also visited Perouges, a beautifully-preserved medieval town about 30 minutes outside Lyon. We had a wonderful lunch at a place with an expansive patio near the main road as you enter (I just ran a Google search and it appears to be Les Terasses). Cute town to walk through.

We also visited Beaune on that trip, well worth a visit and stayed in a 12th century abbey with an excellent restaurant.
  • Post #3 - March 28th, 2022, 9:50 pm
    Post #3 - March 28th, 2022, 9:50 pm Post #3 - March 28th, 2022, 9:50 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:We skied in Les Arcs several years ago and passed through Geneva and Annecy and pretty much just fell into places where the menu looked appealing. In Lyon we were too spontaneous to plan a visit to Bocuse but went to the Bocuse Institut, the restaurant/hospitality training campus for lunch. Much lower price points and all prepared and served by the students under very close supervision. The building itself was worth the visit, lots of sponsored training rooms (wine, tea, etc.). We also visited Perouges, a beautifully-preserved medieval town about 30 minutes outside Lyon. We had a wonderful lunch at a place with an expansive patio near the main road as you enter (I just ran a Google search and it appears to be Les Terasses). Cute town to walk through.

We also visited Beaune on that trip, well worth a visit and stayed in a 12th century abbey with an excellent restaurant.

Thank you! Bocuse Inst, I hadn’t thought of that. Will look up Les Terrases. Probably not enough time for the others, I’ll just have to go back!
  • Post #4 - March 29th, 2022, 12:20 pm
    Post #4 - March 29th, 2022, 12:20 pm Post #4 - March 29th, 2022, 12:20 pm
    sujormik, I assume that you are the same poster who started a similar thread on CH about a week ago. I posted 2 responses to that thread, one of which I know you saw because you "hearted" it. But I'm guessing that you did not see the 2nd one, as I'd also recommended the Institut Bocuse there.

Since you may have missed it, I'll repeat my recommendation from my 2d CH Post that, if you do have time and the inclination to take a cooking class (taught in English), I highly recommend Lucy Vanel's Plum Lyon Kitchen, https://www.plumlyon.com/. I've taken the Tuesday Market Table Classes twice (in 2016 & 2019) and they were both wonderful. Aside from the hands-on cooking instruction, Lucy spends considerable time describing the culinary history of Lyon during the portion of the class walking to the Croix Rousse Market.

Speaking of markets, do visit the Croix Rousse market even if you cannot find time for Lucy's class. Both the market and the neighborhood are wonderful. Closer to Bellecour, there's the Saint-Antoine market, on the banks of the Saone River, just to the north of Bellecour.
  • Post #5 - April 9th, 2022, 10:16 pm
    Post #5 - April 9th, 2022, 10:16 pm Post #5 - April 9th, 2022, 10:16 pm
    masha wrote:sujormik, I assume that you are the same poster who started a similar thread on CH about a week ago. I posted 2 responses to that thread, one of which I know you saw because you "hearted" it. But I'm guessing that you did not see the 2nd one, as I'd also recommended the Institut Bocuse there.

Since you may have missed it, I'll repeat my recommendation from my 2d CH Post that, if you do have time and the inclination to take a cooking class (taught in English), I highly recommend Lucy Vanel's Plum Lyon Kitchen, https://www.plumlyon.com/. I've taken the Tuesday Market Table Classes twice (in 2016 & 2019) and they were both wonderful. Aside from the hands-on cooking instruction, Lucy spends considerable time describing the culinary history of Lyon during the portion of the class walking to the Croix Rousse Market.

Speaking of markets, do visit the Croix Rousse market even if you cannot find time for Lucy's class. Both the market and the neighborhood are wonderful. Closer to Bellecour, there's the Saint-Antoine market, on the banks of the Saone River, just to the north of Bellecour.

Thank you Masha, I’m sorry you had to reply again, I miss CH already! We will not have time for a cooking class but we are managing to squeeze in a wine tasting in Croix Russe. We are staying near Bellecour and I plan to spend a decent amount of time at Halles Paul Bocuse!
  • Post #6 - April 10th, 2022, 10:19 am
    Post #6 - April 10th, 2022, 10:19 am Post #6 - April 10th, 2022, 10:19 am
    sujormik wrote:
    Thank you Masha, I’m sorry you had to reply again, I miss CH already! We will not have time for a cooking class but we are managing to squeeze in a wine tasting in Croix Russe. We are staying near Bellecour and I plan to spend a decent amount of time at Halles Paul Bocuse!

We go to Lyon every 2-3 years and always stay near Bellecour; it's a business trip for my husband and that's where they put us up. I will tell you that I've been Halles Paul Bocuse only once. I might have felt differently if we were staying in an apartment & cooking while in Lyon, but we always stay in a hotel.

I do want to reiterate the recommendation on my 1st CH post of La Table d'Ambre, https://latabledambre.fr/en, which is within several blocks of Bellecour (in the direction of Perrache). We ate there in June 2019, when it had been open for only about 6 months. The food was 1st rate, with a charming room & professional & warm service. However, the restaurant was largely "undiscovered"; we were there on a weeknight and there were only about 4 occupied tables. I periodically look at the TripAdvisor reviews (which are mainly in French -- mine is one of the few English reviews). It has developed a large following of enthusiastic French diners.
  • Post #7 - April 10th, 2022, 9:20 pm
    Post #7 - April 10th, 2022, 9:20 pm Post #7 - April 10th, 2022, 9:20 pm
    Masha I was able to get a reservation there for our first night in Lyon. Thank you soooo much!
  • Post #8 - April 28th, 2022, 2:14 pm
    Post #8 - April 28th, 2022, 2:14 pm Post #8 - April 28th, 2022, 2:14 pm
    Annecy? Geneva? Have one day in each…anything?
  • Post #9 - April 28th, 2022, 6:01 pm
    Post #9 - April 28th, 2022, 6:01 pm Post #9 - April 28th, 2022, 6:01 pm
    I can't be of any real help, but stayed, a couple of nights in Annecy 31 years ago on my honeymoon at this time of year and it was absolutely beautiful. We spent many hours just wandering around the canals and old town. We stayed at a very small hotel that was just a few rooms over a restaurant that was on the lake maybe a mile out of town that no longer exists as far as I can tell. Wasn't beach weather but was a perfect time to go to avoid the crowds. Enjoy

-Will
  • Post #10 - April 28th, 2022, 7:28 pm
    Post #10 - April 28th, 2022, 7:28 pm Post #10 - April 28th, 2022, 7:28 pm
    WillG wrote:I can't be of any real help, but stayed, a couple of nights in Annecy 31 years ago on my honeymoon at this time of year and it was absolutely beautiful. We spent many hours just wandering around the canals and old town. We stayed at a very small hotel that was just a few rooms over a restaurant that was on the lake maybe a mile out of town that no longer exists as far as I can tell. Wasn't beach weather but was a perfect time to go to avoid the crowds. Enjoy

-Will

Thank you, hoping the weather cooperates.
  • Post #11 - April 29th, 2022, 7:52 am
    Post #11 - April 29th, 2022, 7:52 am Post #11 - April 29th, 2022, 7:52 am
    I spent a quite a bit of time in each place. In Geneva, I loved Les Marronniers in the Plan-les-Quates area (which is very near many of the famous watch makers of Switzerland). Great everything including pizza.

In Annecy, we had off-site meetings there frequently. I remember three good places, Le Chalet, Chez Cocotte, and La Maison du Lac. The lake there is very nice and clean.
  • Post #12 - April 29th, 2022, 8:22 am
    Post #12 - April 29th, 2022, 8:22 am Post #12 - April 29th, 2022, 8:22 am
    Puckjam wrote:I spent a quite a bit of time in each place. In Geneva, I loved Les Marronniers in the Plan-les-Quates area (which is very near many of the famous watch makers of Switzerland). Great everything including pizza.

In Annecy, we had off-site meetings there frequently. I remember three good places, Le Chalet, Chez Cocotte, and La Maison du Lac. The lake there is very nice and clean.

THANK YOU, I’ll look at all of them! We are going to the Patel Phillipe museum so could have a chance to try more than one of your recs.
  • Post #13 - April 29th, 2022, 11:53 am
    Post #13 - April 29th, 2022, 11:53 am Post #13 - April 29th, 2022, 11:53 am
    sujormik wrote:
    Puckjam wrote:I spent a quite a bit of time in each place. In Geneva, I loved Les Marronniers in the Plan-les-Quates area (which is very near many of the famous watch makers of Switzerland). Great everything including pizza.

THANK YOU, I’ll look at all of them! We are going to the Patel Phillipe museum so could have a chance to try more than one of your recs.

Just be prepared for the prices in Switzerland.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more