LTH Home

US-20 Through Iowa aka U.S. Grant Memorial Highway in IL

US-20 Through Iowa aka U.S. Grant Memorial Highway in IL
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • US-20 Through Iowa aka U.S. Grant Memorial Highway in IL

Post #1 - August 31st, 2022, 9:27 pm
    Post #1 - August 31st, 2022, 9:27 pm Post #1 - August 31st, 2022, 9:27 pm
    Hi,

For the last 10 years, with a Covid exception, I have been going to South Dakota over Labor Day weekend.

Initially, I went direct to Mitchell, SD so I took a northern route of I-90 through Wisconsin and Minnesota. What was discouraging about this route was the endless miles through Minnesota. There were no attractions or restaurants or gas stations or motels highlighted as you drove through. Yes, I did visit the Spam museum. I drove through the middle of Rochester, MN. Otherwise, nothing inspired jumping off the road.

I do favor taking I-80, because there are enough places I might jump off to amuse myself. I-80 truck stop, Iowa City, Des Moines, Pella, Fairfield, and if I wish, a stopover in Omaha, Nebraska. I-80 is teaming with life compared to my drive through Minnesota.

This evening I thought I would check if another route might present itself. Glad I did, because I-20/US-20 (in Illinois at least, it is the U.S. Grant Memorial Highway) can be taken from Marengo, IL to Sioux City, then I head north on US-29. To get to Marengo, I would take 176 across from Lake Bluff.

US-20 through Iowa takes me in proximity of Peosta, Dyersville, Manchester, Winthrop, Independence, Jesup, Waterloo, Dike, Webster City, Early, Galva, Holstein, Correctionville, Moville, and Sioux City.

On the Illinois side, I-20 takes me through Rockford, Freeport and Galena.

If any of these places ring a bell with an interesting place to eat, please advise. I am also prepared to just wing it and see what happens.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - September 1st, 2022, 11:25 am
    Post #2 - September 1st, 2022, 11:25 am Post #2 - September 1st, 2022, 11:25 am
    It would be a bit of a diversion, though a very scenic one -- but Breitbach's is the oldest restaurant in Iowa. Famous for their buffet dinner but I opted for the fabulous, locally raised steak. Also famous for their pies. Still in the Breitbach family. https://www.breitbachscountrydining.com/
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #3 - September 1st, 2022, 12:18 pm
    Post #3 - September 1st, 2022, 12:18 pm Post #3 - September 1st, 2022, 12:18 pm
    Maybe there should a bus from Highland Park because I was just talking about taking a trip to South Dakota this weekend too :) . I don't know if we will do it with a heat wave that will be in SD over the weekend but maybe by the middle of next week we might consider it. As to driving, the only time I ever went out there in 2019 I came up from Denver after taking 80 out to Nebraska where I drove though the Sandhills on Nebraska 2 and then headed to Colorado the next day. I drove up to the Black Hills from Denver a week later via Wyoming.

Taking US 20 sounds like a nice alternate idea especially as it would be going through a bunch of towns the interstates avoid. Since I have never done it, I have nothing to offer you in terms of food although I usually like to have a Maid-Rite loose meat burger when in Iowa (and of course others would say to get a breaded pork tenderloin) and there are three of them near US 20 - Dubuque, Waterloo and Cedar Falls. It's smart to check ahead at what kind of locations they are. The one I went to near I-80 in Davenport was a very nice location with a 50's diner decor. The one I went to in St. Cloud, MN off I-94 was a tiny one attached to a gas station and not very exciting. I think all three of these are diners.

I'll let you know if I end up heading west soon. Since I just came back 2 weeks ago from a 26 day/3,000 mile round trip to New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia and D.C. I wasn't planning on another trip so soon.
  • Post #4 - September 1st, 2022, 2:35 pm
    Post #4 - September 1st, 2022, 2:35 pm Post #4 - September 1st, 2022, 2:35 pm
    I haven't looked at it in a long time, but www.roadfood.com is still alive and may provide some useful ideas.
  • Post #5 - September 1st, 2022, 4:42 pm
    Post #5 - September 1st, 2022, 4:42 pm Post #5 - September 1st, 2022, 4:42 pm
    lougord99 wrote:I haven't looked at it in a long time, but http://www.roadfood.com is still alive and may provide some useful ideas.
    Ha yet another person from Highland Park posting in this thread. I was just on Roadfood a minute ago and realized the forums on that site seem to be long gone. That's a shame as they were great until they completely changed the format and then it probably fell apart.
  • Post #6 - September 1st, 2022, 7:08 pm
    Post #6 - September 1st, 2022, 7:08 pm Post #6 - September 1st, 2022, 7:08 pm
    Another Highland Park native joining the conversation here!

I concur, US-20 is the best way to cross northern Illinois. The Interstate options (80 and, ugh, 88, and 90 in Wisconsin), are numbingly boring, even as Interstates go (and I say that as a highway engineer). The US-20 drive is much more pleasant and is especially beautiful in mid-October when the fall leaf color is at its peak (alas, hotels in the Galena area tend to have two-night minimums during that time).

I know I have bookmarked places around and to/from/beyond Galena but will have to hunt them up and come back to post.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #7 - September 2nd, 2022, 8:23 am
    Post #7 - September 2nd, 2022, 8:23 am Post #7 - September 2nd, 2022, 8:23 am
    Ha HP native. :) I think we are familiar with US 20 in NW Illinois but it's going through Iowa that was the main discussion. Still it doesn't hurt to mention the good things in our state too for those that haven't driven 20.
  • Post #8 - September 2nd, 2022, 2:57 pm
    Post #8 - September 2nd, 2022, 2:57 pm Post #8 - September 2nd, 2022, 2:57 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Ha HP native. :) I think we are familiar with US 20 in NW Illinois but it's going through Iowa that was the main discussion. Still it doesn't hurt to mention the good things in our state too for those that haven't driven 20.

I'm with you, the more information the better.

Next year, I may take the Lincoln Highway across. Just trying to keep things interesting.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #9 - September 3rd, 2022, 7:38 pm
    Post #9 - September 3rd, 2022, 7:38 pm Post #9 - September 3rd, 2022, 7:38 pm
    I've driven all of US-20 through Iowa at various times, and there's not much there. If you do go that way, your best chances of finding food are Dubuque, Waterloo/Cedar Falls, Fort Dodge or Sioux City. My wife's family are all from the Waterloo/CF area and I haven't had any particularly good food there.

Whoever recommended Breitbach's is onto something.....it's not right on 20, but according to Google maps, it's only 24 miles from Dubuque.

You'd have a much better chance of finding interesting food on I-80 in Quad Cities, Iowa City, Des Moines or Omaha.
  • Post #10 - September 3rd, 2022, 10:37 pm
    Post #10 - September 3rd, 2022, 10:37 pm Post #10 - September 3rd, 2022, 10:37 pm
    An early stop could be Ridott Corners Tavern, west of Rockford. It's a small shack of a biker's bar, pretty much sitting in a cornfield, serving very good Burgers. Been going there for years as a regular stop on our way home from the biannual Green County Cheese Days. Really basic; just Burgers and Chips--no Fries.

Yelp photos ought to seal the deal.

Buddy

Ridott Corners Tavern
    1862 S Rock City Rd.
    Ridott, IL 61067
    (815) 235-2451
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/ridott-corners-tavern-ridott

Green County Cheese Days
    Town Square, Monroe, WI 53566
    (608) 325-7771
    https://www.cheesedays.com/
  • Post #11 - September 5th, 2022, 8:12 pm
    Post #11 - September 5th, 2022, 8:12 pm Post #11 - September 5th, 2022, 8:12 pm
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:An early stop could be Ridott Corners Tavern, west of Rockford. It's a small shack of a biker's bar, pretty much sitting in a cornfield, serving very good Burgers. Been going there for years as a regular stop on our way home from the biannual Green County Cheese Days. Really basic; just Burgers and Chips--no Fries.

Yelp photos ought to seal the deal.

Buddy

Ridott Corners Tavern
    1862 S Rock City Rd.
    Ridott, IL 61067
    (815) 235-2451
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/ridott-corners-tavern-ridott

Ridott Corners Tavern is at the intersection of US-20 and Rock City Road. It was very easy to locate.

I had a medium rare Swiss burger, sour cream chips and a can of Dr. Pepper for $9.25. It was really an outstanding burger.

I am so happy you mentioned this place. If one is traveling to Galena on US20, it is west of Rockford and east of Freeport.

Thank you!

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #12 - September 11th, 2022, 9:17 pm
    Post #12 - September 11th, 2022, 9:17 pm Post #12 - September 11th, 2022, 9:17 pm
    Hi,

I am very happy with my choice to drive US-20 through Iowa. It is a divided highway with two lanes going each way. There are no billboards. A few areas of windfarms and I only saw two solar farms: one of the Illinois side and the other in Iowa. Traffic density was low, so you were not always on high alert. I never observed the high speed hijinks of cars threading the needle between slower cars, like I see on Chicago expressways. (I was rear ended on the Dan Ryan a few years ago. Thankfully had a safety belt on or I would now be referred to in the past tense.)

On the negative, I never saw any dedicated rest areas. For the quick pit stop, rest areas are usually a short walk allowing a brief stop without any obligatory feelings to buy something.

There are some touristy things along route 20:
    - A Frank Lloyd Wright home, but I did not stop.
    - Dyersville, where one could check out the 'Field of Dreams,' just four miles off the highway. I did not stop.
    - Worlds largest candied popcorn ball dating back to 2016, which I did stop to check out.
    - Lots of corn and soybeans in various stages of ripeness with some being harvested.
    - A town named Correctionville, which had nothing to do with prisons. This location was a noted correction on a survey map from the 19th century.

When I was on my way to South Dakota, I stopped for cheap gas at Murphy's just west of Waterloo. I got a Culver's pot roast sandwich with onions and extra horseradish sauce.

What I really wanted to sample, but could not find available as a standard menu item: Iowa Ham Rolls. This is on my short list of something to make: half ground beef, half ground ham, and crushed graham crackers. It is a variation of meatballs. I found places where it was a special on days of the week I was not present.

On the way home, I decided to visit the Valley Drive Inn in Correctionville after checking their menu online. They offered a sandwich called the 'Tavern.' It is a sandwich I was aware of, but never tried. I did have a WestBend slow cooker/fryer with a 'Tavern' setting, but never knew what that meant.

When I ordered the Tavern, I inquired if it was like a Sloppy Joe. "It's similar to a Sloppy Joe, but it is savory and not as sweet." Once I had it in hand, I would declare it is a variation of a loose meat sandwich. It was sufficiently cradled in paper that it did not drip meat all over the place. I ate this with a blackberry milkshake.

I did pass on the cheese balls, which I was told was like a fried cheese curd. There were also chive fries, which were fries with a chive power on them. I would not have been surprised if it was Ranch powder dabbled on. I did not order them, so I guess I will wait for next time.

Practically a stone's throw from Valley Drive Inn is Patty's Pit Stop. A few too many times being the first customer of day means warmed over leftovers from yesterday. It may be great BBQ, but the siren song of the day was that Tavern at Valley Drive Inn.

I did not dine again until I reached Ridott Corners Tavern, though I was reminded today I was there a few years ago. It was a good idea to be reminded about, so thank you Buddy!

Patty's Pit Stop
    508 11th St,
    Correctionville, IA 51016
    Phone: (712) 369-8584

Ridott Corners Tavern
    1862 S Rock City Rd.
    Ridott, IL 61067
    (815) 235-2451

Valley Drive Inn
    420 11th St
    Correctionville, IA 51016
    (712) 372-4587
    Cathy2

• Post #13 - August 20th, 2023, 7:08 am
    Post #13 - August 20th, 2023, 7:08 am Post #13 - August 20th, 2023, 7:08 am
    Had the opportunity to stop at Ridott Corners last week traveling east. Hadn't been since the late 80's. They informed me that they have had the same owners for 45 years. Well, still a fantastic bar burger with a side of local Mrs. Mike's chips. Good stuff.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more