LTH Home

Manhattan mid-price recommendations

Manhattan mid-price recommendations
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Manhattan mid-price recommendations

Post #1 - January 30th, 2023, 8:56 pm
    Post #1 - January 30th, 2023, 8:56 pm Post #1 - January 30th, 2023, 8:56 pm
    Not seeing a general thread like this, and without devoting a whole thread to a single place, i wanted to start a thread on “nice” dinner options in Manhattan that are not crazy expensive.

To tee us up, I recommend the Commerce Inn, a mid-range, terrific dinner option in Manhattan.

https://www.thecommerceinn.com/

The Commerce Inn is getting a lot of buzz for being a Shaker restaurant. One critic noted it was protected from authenticity complaints because there only like 3 Shakers left and they are all in a nursing home in Maine and unlikely to call the restaurant out for not being genuine Shaker.

The food is genuinely terrific. Its in the “West Village,” entrees are between $22 and $46, and is in a very pleasant part of town. I especially recommend the chicken, mashed potatoes and carrots. Service was good. People watching was fun. When I did not like my cocktail, they replaced it and did not charge me.

I will only add the caveat that the noise level can be intolerable and recommend going off-peak.

This was a really great dining experience and I highly recommend.
  • Post #2 - January 31st, 2023, 10:54 am
    Post #2 - January 31st, 2023, 10:54 am Post #2 - January 31st, 2023, 10:54 am
    cleanplateclub wrote:Not seeing a general thread like this, and without devoting a whole thread to a single place, i wanted to start a thread on “nice” dinner options in Manhattan that are not crazy expensive.

To tee us up, I recommend the Commerce Inn, a mid-range, terrific dinner option in Manhattan.

https://www.thecommerceinn.com/

I came across Commerce Inn recently on Instagram; I cannot speak to it specifically, but I can add that I am anxious to try soon. Thanks for putting it out there.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #3 - January 31st, 2023, 12:01 pm
    Post #3 - January 31st, 2023, 12:01 pm Post #3 - January 31st, 2023, 12:01 pm
    2 places immediately came to mind: Mala project and her name is Han.

While we have great Asian restaurants here, I am always blown away by the sheer volume and quality of joints in NYC. And I haven't even ventured into Queens to eat.
  • Post #4 - January 31st, 2023, 12:17 pm
    Post #4 - January 31st, 2023, 12:17 pm Post #4 - January 31st, 2023, 12:17 pm
    Mala Project has three locations now, all worthwhile. Laut in Union Square is always reliable (the menu has a fair amount of Americanized stuff but the roti and asam laksa are legit). Miznon in Chelsea Market is basically a sandwich place, but it’s awesome. (Have not been to the Hudson Yards location — maybe it has more of a sit-down vibe?) And speaking of sandwich places, All'Antico Vinaio has amazing sandwiches, each of which easily serves two.
  • Post #5 - February 2nd, 2023, 6:00 pm
    Post #5 - February 2nd, 2023, 6:00 pm Post #5 - February 2nd, 2023, 6:00 pm
    I have been eating pizza almost exclusively on recent trips to New York but I did manage a pleasant "nice" mid-price dinner last summer at Don Giovanni (358 W 44th St). The chicken parmesan and pasta were excellent. I also had to try their pizza which was good but not what I'd go there for.
    https://dongiovanni-ny.com/#!menu

I also wanted to check out Le Relais de Venise L'Entrecote (590 Lexington Ave) which has one entree on the dinner menu - their steak frites with green sauce and salad for around $35.00 including seconds of steak and frites. Hold the phone however as they seem to be temporarily closed. They may move to another location.
  • Post #6 - February 6th, 2023, 4:35 pm
    Post #6 - February 6th, 2023, 4:35 pm Post #6 - February 6th, 2023, 4:35 pm
    Ram4 wrote:I also wanted to check out Le Relais de Venise L'Entrecote (590 Lexington Ave) which has one entree on the dinner menu - their steak frites with green sauce and salad for around $35.00 including seconds of steak and frites. Hold the phone however as they seem to be temporarily closed. They may move to another location.

I'm almost positive it's closed, don't know about it re-opening. I went in 2021 and really loved it. Would go again for sure.

There's Skirt Steak in Chelsea, kinda the same idea. I've never been but it's on my short list.

https://www.skirtsteaknyc.com/
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more