LTH Home

Door County recommendations

Door County recommendations
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - March 21st, 2022, 10:22 am
    Post #61 - March 21st, 2022, 10:22 am Post #61 - March 21st, 2022, 10:22 am
    These posts are very old. If you are heading up to Door County, many of the restaurants have changed. Some have closed and there are some new ones. For example, the Viking in Ellison Bay has closed and will become the Blue Bear. There are many others. I think the Door County bakery has also closed. I would always check before going.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #62 - March 21st, 2022, 6:47 pm
    Post #62 - March 21st, 2022, 6:47 pm Post #62 - March 21st, 2022, 6:47 pm
    The only sit-down meal in Door County was on Washington Island, but our summer trip around Lake Michigan had several stops.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #63 - July 13th, 2022, 12:07 am
    Post #63 - July 13th, 2022, 12:07 am Post #63 - July 13th, 2022, 12:07 am
    It's been a while since my last Al Johnson's visit, but I have to say the lingonberry iced tea in its frosted metal tankard really hits the spot, and the Swedish pancakes and meatballs are textbook. They also seem more protective of the roof-goats, giving them mid-day heat breaks.

New to us was Lure on the lake side of the road in Sister Bay. The terrace is very peaceful and attractive, the bar area modern and noisy, and then the back room dark and sedate again, so you can pick your zone. Try the giant cornbread, salt-and-pepper fish appetizers, and strip with garlic smashed red potatoes. We had a commendable young server eager to please our kids.

Across the street is the Sister Bay Bowl, which is unapologetically old school and we thought pretty strong - ice cold plated salads with rich dressings, great perch, Carson's style ribs for those that enjoy, strong brandy Old Fashioneds. Nice view.

Far north, Gills Rock Coffee (also an impressive Airbnb) had some of the best brews and bakes of the trip - scratch cinnamon rolls and oatmeal cream pies and really good breakfast sandwiches on fresh croissants. It seems to be often a one-person show on the griddle and register so get there early. Down in Sturgeon Bay, Morning Glory had a great waffle and quesadilla showing and delightful staff. Glad things are still going strong out on the peninsula.
  • Post #64 - July 9th, 2023, 10:45 am
    Post #64 - July 9th, 2023, 10:45 am Post #64 - July 9th, 2023, 10:45 am
    Just a reminder note that some of the restaurants mentioned on this thread may have gone out of business so if you are traveling to Door County, check to see before you go. You can easily do this by checking the Destination Door County website or google the restaurant.

Some of our favorites are Chop, Lure, Alexanders, Barringers, Chives, and Harbor Fish Market and Grill. Chop and Lure have a great early bird special. They all take reservations which you almost have to have, especially in high season. Wickman House too, but you have to make reservations well in advance on Tock. For pub grub, burgers, and rubens and the like, we like Mink River Basin, Husby's Northern Grill, Coyote Road House and Cornerstone Pub.

Not recommended are English Inn, and Sister Bay bowl. We don't think the food is good or up to the hype. Al Johnson's is difficult to ignore. Its a sentimental favorite for me as my parents brought me as a young girl. Love the ambience and Swedish pancakes (mostly in off season when it not as crowded) but can't find much else to love on the menu. Have not gone to the beer garden but its popular. Love browsing the butiks. La Cocina delivers pizza to northern door county so check it out if you are renting an air bnb or cottage. Also Piggly wiggly has good broasted chicken for take out to pair with potato salad. Ice Cream Factory has good sandwiches and pannini, you can eat in or takeout. There is a growing food truck scene, with Wally's Weenie Wagon, and Savor BBQ and others, both are pretty good. Hugel Haus for German food is worth a mention with their true Wisconsin atmosphere
    (and stuffed bear).

Don't miss Charlie's Smokehouse for smoked fish and Seaquist Farm market for cherry pie and a bunch of other stuff. This is a quick update, there are many more that could be mentioned. P.S. Don't expect Chicago style standards when it comes to food but there are still some good eats.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #65 - August 8th, 2023, 7:32 pm
    Post #65 - August 8th, 2023, 7:32 pm Post #65 - August 8th, 2023, 7:32 pm
    Quoting myself :oops:
    On our way home from Door County earlier this week, we stopped at the original Marchant's in Brussels. We bought some trippe--pronounced trip and one of the self-proclaimed "famous" Belgian pies. The trippe is excellent if, as the very helpful young woman at the meat counter told us, you like cabbage--the sausage is made from pork and cabbage. No problem, my son and I said. We love cabbage. We grilled the trippe the other day, along with the championship brats from Miesfeld's, bought later that afternoon. Trippe is tasty: mildly spiced, flecked with green, and slightly reminiscent of pierogi stuffing according to my son. We also bought some terrific bacon, cut to order and very reasonably priced at $3.69/lb. Lightly cured and with just the right balance of fat to meat, this is great stuff....

We were in Algoma and points north in Door County last weekend. Sorry to report that Bearcats, once on the bridge in downtown Algoma, had a fire and closed. The space is now a bar and grill. Their Green Bay store is still open, however.

We stocked up on Marchant's excellent bacon (now $7.99/lb.), brat patties, summer sausage, and, of course, trippe. We got our smoked fish fix at the very nice Baileys Harbor Fish Co.

The food hit of the visit was our outstanding dinner at Algoma's own Son of Skaliwags, which bills itself as a "Five-Star Dive Bar." It's a small room with a long bar and a few tables, plus some outdoor seating. The menu is heavy on seafood, and two of the waitstaff shared their favorites on the current menu. For appetizers, we had lovely crab cake fritters, which were delicious fried, lightly breaded balls of crabby goodness served with remoulade and a delicious broccoli slaw. The other app was "crispy shrimp," also served with the slaw. These were also very good, truly crispy and juicy, rather along the lines of Chinese mayonnaise shrimp but without the nuts and with less glop. Cabbagehead had excellent lobster ravioli for his main. I ate some of the best seared scallops I've ever had. We sat at the end of the bar, which is indeed a bit divey, right across from the stove--as good as a kitchen table. These guys can cook!

I highly recommend this place if you are in Kewaunee County or Southern Door. S of S isn't just good for the area: The meal we had could compete just fine in Chicago.

Marchant's Foods
    1367 County Trunk DK
    P.O. Box 7
    Brussels, WI 54204
    (920) 825-1244
    http://www.marchantsfoods.com/

Son of Skaligwags
    312 Clark St.
    Algoma, WI 54201
    (920) 536-1539
    https://www.sonofskaliwags.com/

Contact