LTH Home

Traverse City, MI recs?

Traverse City, MI recs?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - June 23rd, 2014, 8:18 am
    Post #61 - June 23rd, 2014, 8:18 am Post #61 - June 23rd, 2014, 8:18 am
    Now I really want to get to the Traverse City area. Thanks to Jen and others for these great posts.
    -Mary
  • Post #62 - November 14th, 2021, 6:20 pm
    Post #62 - November 14th, 2021, 6:20 pm Post #62 - November 14th, 2021, 6:20 pm
    Flash forward 7 years.

Spent a quick wknd in Traverse, some quick notes that might help anyone:

"Rounds" restaurant.
    Saturday breakfast. The Omelette Shoppe was a 45 minute wait, so we audibled and hit Rounds. Standard diner fare with an emphasis on breakfast. Food was quite good, our table of 7 didn't venture far from standard omelettes. Their omelettes were made up of a thin, three egg, outer, with stuffing inside - not the "everything mixed together and then rolled, or the , "super fluffy" format. Several flavors of pancakes are offered as sides, along with several different homemade breads for toast. This day's pancake choices were fresh blueberry, pumpkin, buckwheat, or buttermilk. Order any pancakes here with confidence.

"Oakwood Proper Burgers"
    This place is fun, and the burgers are pretty damn good, and the fries are outstanding.
    I meant to ask the counterpeople what in the HELL those buns were, but I half forgot, and half they got a little busy. The place is TINY, generally takeout only, but they have a few covered pods next to their bldg, and they are set up with tables and chairs. 9 of us fit in one pod. A tiny bit cramped, but not too bad at all. These were like octagonal shaped canopies that were zippable like tents. AAAAAAND, inside, there were record players with albums that you could grab and play for your dining music. Wife 1.0 found something called "Hank Williams." I gather white folk like that kinda thing. My ears / brain must have blocked it out. BUT ANYWAY, (also, that line was for humor, stop being weird) the burgers were great. This is an indie burger shop with shakes, fries, and chips, and each of their burgers had all kinds of namedrops for the sourcing of each ingredient - THAT kind of place. 1/3rd pound patty, and after that a paragraph of toppings. BUT, these were damn good. I'd go back in a heartbeat. Lookit the menu if you want, and just know that there is no indoor dining, but you can grab a spot at an outdoor table if there's room. I'd suggest that ANY burger here will be fire, and you won't have to worry about any of the fries or shakes not being fire as well. The counterpeople all knew exactly what each burger was about, and were helpful for any doe-eyed first timers. They actually gathered all 9 of our party, and walked us thru the menu, and what they'd suggest for us. Craft sodas, great shakes, plain fries and fries with stuff on top, and a good handful of themed burgers. I'd go back here in a heartbeat. The buns??? I'd say they were a cross between brioche, ciabatta, and a good quality New York bagel. When I mentioned that to a few people in our party, they said, "Yup - that's it." Nobody could explain why the buns were so damn good. I'd honestly ask them for a half dozen buns to take home if I ever wound up there again. This is a quality place, run by quality people. I guess I should add that they advertise that they are proudly LGBQT "friendly." I think that might matter to some of the population in a possibly positive way. Anyway, we all loved this place, even if a few of us were getting a few drips through the canopy. It was raining/sleeting pretty hard. They also had heaters in the pods, so we were chilly, but not COLD or anything. I went halfsies on the burger with ancho chiles, and the burger with fresh grilled jalapeno. They were all stacked tall with toppings, but the two I tried were those and both were damn fine. Frankly, the buns are what took them "over the top" for me. The burgers and toppings were great, but the buns made everything shine. If anyone is considering this place, you're gonna get quality food, but just remember, it's pretty much takeout only. It's not full service with a lot of seating. And if you ask nicely, they might let you play space invaders on their sit down video arcade table while you wait.

"Reflect Bistro" inside the Cambria Hotel. I only had breakfast here, but the inlaws had a decent amt of their seafood offerings for dinner one night. They said it was quite good, and worth the "hotel" upcharge which wasn't really that much. The breakfast we had was only 2 dollars more per plate than the brekkie we had at Roundy's, and I thought it was well worth it. I'm normally against hotel dining (because I like to find the places locals go to in their hood) but this place is a winner. We all had omelettes and pancakes - nothing out of the ordinary, but there were nice touches, like little sides of fresh fruit topped with fresh whipped cream on each plate. Choice of hash browns or a side salad with a light creamy avocado dressing which was REALLY good. The "jelly" offerings for toast were those tiny individual serving jars. I'd assume any meal of the day would be done competently here.

We also did a late night pickup from Jet's Pizza. Say what you will, but imo, it's still better than Dominos, or Papa John's if the town you are in rolls up the sidewalks at 9pm.

Rounds:
    1033 E Eighth St, Traverse City, MI 49686

Oakwood Proper Burgers:
    1108 E Eighth St, Traverse City, MI 49686

Reflect Bistro:
    https://www.traversecitylodging.com/reflect-bistro/
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #63 - November 16th, 2021, 3:05 pm
    Post #63 - November 16th, 2021, 3:05 pm Post #63 - November 16th, 2021, 3:05 pm
    I’ve always enjoyed the old time diner decorating/architecture of Rounds. I might have enjoyed the breakfast more from Ham Bonz (the previous restaurant in the Oakwood Proper tiny building. And I’ve never tried but heard good things about the Cambria hotel restaurant so thanks for the review.
  • Post #64 - November 16th, 2021, 3:14 pm
    Post #64 - November 16th, 2021, 3:14 pm Post #64 - November 16th, 2021, 3:14 pm
    Also if you are looking for Detroit pizza sometime before the sidewalks roll up there’s a place in the the alley behind the opera house called Charles and Reid that’s pretty good. We’ve picked up a few times now and enjoyed. https://www.charlesandreid.com/
  • Post #65 - November 17th, 2021, 9:41 am
    Post #65 - November 17th, 2021, 9:41 am Post #65 - November 17th, 2021, 9:41 am
    SWAG -
    Any intel on The Omelette Shoppe, or the Cornish Pasty place (Perhaps "Aunt Jenny's?")

Omelette Shoppe was high on my list - Chipotle Hollandaise is something I would have to try if I saw it on any menu.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more