LTH Home

Albuquerque?

Albuquerque?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - September 17th, 2011, 8:58 am
    Post #31 - September 17th, 2011, 8:58 am Post #31 - September 17th, 2011, 8:58 am
    annak wrote:Any recent recs? Have one meal to spend there and would love anything an LTHer heartily recommends.

The Frontier is a favorite both for the food and the atmosphere. The carne adovada is absolutely great and the posole is excellent. I could stand in that restaurant for hours watching the efficiency of the operation which serves THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE per day. (It is the type of place where you order at the counter and wait for the food.

The restaurant is virtually an art museum of six or seven storefronts. If you are expecting formal, remember, it is a dive for UNM students, not a white tablecloth restaurant. Plan for about $10/person for more food than you can eat.

http://www.frontierrestaurant.com/menu.pdf

Frontier Restaurant
    2400 Central Ave SE
    Albuquerque, NM 87106

One place that rarely gets mentioned is the Pueblo Harvest Cafe at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center. They offer a wide variety of dishes ranging from New Mexican to traditional tribal dishes. Personally, I tend to go for the more traditional earthy dishes like the mutton stew and the blue corn porridge. However, the more upscale dishes are also pretty good. The place was good enough for THREE stops last fall.

They also offer game dishes like rabbit and elk and pull them off pretty well.

What was most surprising to me was their non-traditional baked goods. They make scones and pastries that are among the best that I have ever had.

The cultural center is well worth a visit. Unfortunately, the restaurant has always been relatively empty when I have been there. I suspect that the prices is one of the reasons. They are high by ABQ standards (cheap by Chicago standards).

Pueblo Harvest Cafe
    Indian Pueblo Cultural Center
    2401 12th St NW
    Albuquerque, NM 87104

My next "off the beaten track" choice is the Duran Central Pharmacy. It is a small lunch counter operation near old town. They serve good New Mexican food and do some wicked sodas. It was a favorite of my nephews.

Duran Central Pharmacy
    1815 Central Ave NW
    Albuquerque, NM 87104

Those are all of my restaurant recommendations. In general, when we go to New Mexico, we spend most of our time south of the city (between ABQ and Las Cruces). We rarely spend more than a couple of days in town.

By the way, if you head to the NM State Fairgrounds on a non-fair weekend, they have a huge flea market. There will be dozens of food vendors, dozens of chile vendors and at dozens of people roasting hatch chiles. The state fair runs September 9-25.

Hope that helps.

http://www.indianpueblo.org/images/pdfs/phc_dinner.pdf
  • Post #32 - September 17th, 2011, 2:08 pm
    Post #32 - September 17th, 2011, 2:08 pm Post #32 - September 17th, 2011, 2:08 pm
    I get out to New Mexico once a year and usually spend at least a few days in Albuquerque. I've been to Frontier, and Duran's and they're both fun places with decent food that have been around a long time, but if you want real New Mexican food and only have one meal, Mary & Tito's on 4th Street north of downtown is much better. The red chile is the best I've had in Albuquerque, and my favorite meal is the carne adovada with red. You get great atmosphere too--they've been open in the same spot since 1963, and Mary was still presiding on my most recent visit, during balloon fiesta last October. There's a nice writeup with photos on Gil's Thrilling Website, my favorite resource for Albuquerque dining tips: http://nmgastronome.com/blog/?p=331

Mary & Tito's Cafe
    2711 4th St NW
    (505) 344-6266
  • Post #33 - September 20th, 2011, 2:31 pm
    Post #33 - September 20th, 2011, 2:31 pm Post #33 - September 20th, 2011, 2:31 pm
    I and many of my friends have had very good meals at El Norteño. One of my faves is/was tongue, but I just looked at their menu and didn't see it. Maybe it's a Sunday special or something. Good, family-style place.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #34 - September 20th, 2011, 4:50 pm
    Post #34 - September 20th, 2011, 4:50 pm Post #34 - September 20th, 2011, 4:50 pm
    I had the carne adovada at Mary and Tito's last year and will second a recommendation for this establishment. It isn't pretty, but the carne adovada was outstanding.
  • Post #35 - September 21st, 2011, 12:14 pm
    Post #35 - September 21st, 2011, 12:14 pm Post #35 - September 21st, 2011, 12:14 pm
    Need to add Sadie's to this post, even though they have made the leap to Adam Richman fame so they're no longer under the radar.

Last winter, a biz trip to ABQ included a luncheon at Sadie's, where I was hosted by the locals whom I was visiting. We arrived soon after the place opened and it was already filling up. Within :15 minutes there was a line out the door. All locals. The place is huge and I asked my hosts if this was unusual - they tell me Sadie's packs 'em in day in and day out.

Really good chips and salsa (chips are warm from the fryer and seasoned perfectly, and there are at least three heat levels of salsa available, IIRC)

We had excellent meals with friendly service. My meal was a huge chicken burrito smothered in green chili with a guac salad and frijoles with queso fresco on the side. I couldn't finish it and took it back to the hotel for a late nite snack and it was still awesome!

The couple who hosted me say Sadie's is their fave place to go for New Mexican food -- except on the green chili cheeseburger front. The Owl takes honors for that, they tell me, and the original location in San Antonio is better than the one in ABQ.

http://www.sadiesofnewmexico.com/
    6230 4th Street Northwest, Los Ranchos, NM
    (505) 345-5339 ‎

Davooda
    Life is a garden, Dude - DIG IT!
    -- anonymous Colorado snowboarder whizzing past me March 2010
  • Post #36 - September 4th, 2014, 1:26 pm
    Post #36 - September 4th, 2014, 1:26 pm Post #36 - September 4th, 2014, 1:26 pm
    I'll be headed to Albuquerque soon. Any new recommendations?
  • Post #37 - September 11th, 2014, 10:37 am
    Post #37 - September 11th, 2014, 10:37 am Post #37 - September 11th, 2014, 10:37 am
    Hope it's not too late to be useful.

Sadie's only for nachos and magaritas, and only if you have to. But if you do, look me up, I'm right down the street. :D

The best place this city has is El Modelo, 1715 2nd St SW, Albuquerque, NM(505) 242-1843. Hands down, the most underappreciated spot in town for tourists, but packed w/ locals.
    http://www.elmodelomexicanfoods.com

Monte Carlo Steakhouse and Liquors, is another locally beloved gem. Expect a wait on the weekends, their prime rib special is very popular.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Monte-Ca ... 3480542493

I like almost everybody's green chile cheeseburger, but the Ranchero burger at Bob's Burgers at 1690 Rio Bravo, in the south valley is my favorite. Avoid the Bob's on 4th. The Owl has a special on Wed, for $4.99, leaving more money to purchase their palate saving milk shakes.

Barela's or Mary & Tito's for sit down, home made taste.

But the big thing here are the microbreweries.
    #1 Marble http://www.marblebrewery.com/
    #2 La Cumbre www.lacumbrebrewing.com
    Last edited by dk on September 11th, 2014, 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #38 - September 11th, 2014, 10:38 am
    Post #38 - September 11th, 2014, 10:38 am Post #38 - September 11th, 2014, 10:38 am
    Not too late - thanks for the help.
  • Post #39 - September 11th, 2014, 10:44 am
    Post #39 - September 11th, 2014, 10:44 am Post #39 - September 11th, 2014, 10:44 am
    Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
  • Post #40 - May 31st, 2021, 8:56 pm
    Post #40 - May 31st, 2021, 8:56 pm Post #40 - May 31st, 2021, 8:56 pm
    Absolutely loved everything about Mary & Tito's. They're only open from 11-3 these days on Monday-Thursday. I was in ABQ for just under 48 hours. Went to lunch at Mary & Tito's as soon as I got to town and went back the next day for lunch. And if they were open for breakfast or dinner, I'd have gone back at least once more. Had the carne adovada, green chile, Mexican wedding Cake (walnuts, pineapple, cream cheese - it works!), and carne adovada enchiladas. All fantastic. And the vibe at the family-run place was just about as good. Loved it.

Another fantastic ABQ meal was had at Campo at Los Poblanos. The grilled asparagus with chimayo chile, lardo, and a little blood orange and mint was my favorite course. The blue corn polenta and cardamom carrots that came with the braised lamb were the best parts of the meal. The lamb was great, but it just didn't stand out like the sides. The strawberry mousse with a pistachio financier, candied pistachios and fresh strawberries was also a winner. And the amuse bouche of rhubarb, lemon basil and chamomile was a great start.

The setting was as good as the food. Los Poblanos is a farm and inn and event space. I didn't stay there - was traveling solo and was going to be running around way too much to take advantage of such a classy place - but I think it'd be a great place to spend a relaxing couple of days.

In the mood for a burrito as early as 7:00 AM? The Burrito Lady came through in spades with a chicharonnes and green chile burrito and a carne adovada breakfast burrito.
  • Post #41 - June 7th, 2021, 12:07 pm
    Post #41 - June 7th, 2021, 12:07 pm Post #41 - June 7th, 2021, 12:07 pm
    I heard that El Norteño closed–is that true? how could that happen???

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #42 - June 7th, 2021, 12:45 pm
    Post #42 - June 7th, 2021, 12:45 pm Post #42 - June 7th, 2021, 12:45 pm
    edeben wrote:The Frontier
    A local landmark across the street from UNM, this 24-hour diner has your basic breakfast/burger options

As of 2018, Frontier has changed their hours to 5 am - 11 pm as I learned on my last trip to Albuquerque when I arrived at 4 am. I was told by one of the managers that they were having too many problems with people during the overnight hours.
  • Post #43 - February 8th, 2023, 10:54 am
    Post #43 - February 8th, 2023, 10:54 am Post #43 - February 8th, 2023, 10:54 am
    Browsing through this thread for lunch ideas for a trip next month. I'll have a few hours to kill between my arrival and my ride's arrival. I'm thinking a visit to the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center with lunch onsite, followed by trip to a nearby microbrewery. Frontier is on the radar as well. If there is any updated intel, bring it on!
    -Mary
  • Post #44 - February 11th, 2023, 1:51 pm
    Post #44 - February 11th, 2023, 1:51 pm Post #44 - February 11th, 2023, 1:51 pm
    Enjoyed lunch at The Grove a couple years ago....they have good salads and sandwiches, wonderful baked goods, and breakfast items that are served all day if you feel like that kind of food.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more