LTH Home

Genova, Liguria?

Genova, Liguria?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Genova, Liguria?

Post #1 - July 28th, 2004, 12:55 pm
    Post #1 - July 28th, 2004, 12:55 pm Post #1 - July 28th, 2004, 12:55 pm
    I will be in Genoa, Italy in October and am looking for recommenations for great places to eat in the area.

The only recommendations I have so far are from Reinhart's "American Pie": Manualina's and Da Vittorio in Recco for the focaccia col formaggio di Recco. Any other recommendations for special places in the area will be greatly appreciated.

Bill/SFNM
  • Post #2 - July 28th, 2004, 4:09 pm
    Post #2 - July 28th, 2004, 4:09 pm Post #2 - July 28th, 2004, 4:09 pm
    Lucky you. You know, Genoa proper is a pretty gritty place, like Marseille. I'd be interested to hear back on your experiences there.

The surrounding area is among the most beautiful in Italy. You should see the Cinque Terre and Portofino if you have the chance. I think that the Michelin Red Book is a good source, particularly with regard to the more humble places. I understand that the Slow Food guide is invaluable, though I didn't have it as a resource on my trip a few years ago.

Lodging at the Splendido is super-steep, but I encourage you to dine there if you can. Top notch Genovese/Ligurian food on a patio high above maybe the most perfect lagoon in Italy, which is saying something. The town below is nice, too.

I have no particular advice about where to eat in the 5 terre. This is a part of Italy where the gas stations have good food.

Last, if you make it far enough west, seek out Joy in Alassio, a spectacular club/restaurant on a cliff with seating on a broad lawn under tents. It's the kind of place hipsters here fail to reproduce. The food, mostly local seafood prepared at the chef's whim based on some gentle questioning from the maitre d', was among the best meals of my life. The web site is cheesy, though, I'll admit. But check out the garden pix.

http://www.uds.it/view_locale.asp?id_locale=6490
  • Post #3 - June 22nd, 2022, 3:51 pm
    Post #3 - June 22nd, 2022, 3:51 pm Post #3 - June 22nd, 2022, 3:51 pm
    I had a chance to try foccacia di Recco (in Recco) recently. It wasn't what I was expecting at all, but it was delicious. I envisioned it as a crispy thin sheets of foccacia with a modest amount of cheese between the layers. It was actually fairly soft, almost like a crepe, with tons of stracchino in a messy pile (and it was glorious)!

Foccacia in Piazzetta
    Piazzetta Nostra Signora del Suffragio 9
    Recco GE, Italy

We also tried a new (to me) pasta dish--papparadelle alla Portofino, a mixture of basil pesto and tomato sauce.

Bar Garibaldi
    Corso Matteotti, 16
    Santa Margherita Ligure GE, Italy
  • Post #4 - June 22nd, 2022, 6:51 pm
    Post #4 - June 22nd, 2022, 6:51 pm Post #4 - June 22nd, 2022, 6:51 pm
    thaiobsessed wrote:I had a chance to try foccacia di Recco (in Recco) recently. It wasn't what I was expecting at all, but it was delicious. I envisioned it as a crispy thin sheets of foccacia with a modest amount of cheese between the layers. It was actually fairly soft, almost like a crepe, with tons of stracchino in a messy pile (and it was glorious)!

Foccacia in Piazzetta
    Piazzetta Nostra Signora del Suffragio 9
    Recco GE, Italy

We also tried a new (to me) pasta dish--papparadelle alla Portofino, a mixture of basil pesto and tomato sauce.

Bar Garibaldi
    Corso Matteotti, 16
    Santa Margherita Ligure GE, Italy

Wow! Have to say that both dishes sound and look amazing!

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more