LTH Home

Madison, WI Eats?

Madison, WI Eats?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 6
  • Post #121 - July 29th, 2011, 10:17 am
    Post #121 - July 29th, 2011, 10:17 am Post #121 - July 29th, 2011, 10:17 am
    the wimperoo wrote:
    stevez wrote:We're going up to Madison this weekend for a quick getaway. It looks like the Farmers Market and dinner at Nostrano is in the cards. I'll report back.

Did you end up eating at Nostrano? Wife and I are going up to Madison in a couple of weeks for the Great Taste. We were thinking about Nostrano for dinner on the Friday night.

We decided to pass on Nostrano in favor of a more Wisconsiny supper club (post to come). Nostrano looked fine, but it didn't look like anything I couldn't find in Wicker Park, Lincoln Square or any number of trendy Chicago neighborhoods.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #122 - July 31st, 2011, 10:56 am
    Post #122 - July 31st, 2011, 10:56 am Post #122 - July 31st, 2011, 10:56 am
    Hey Stever---

Hope it was the Tornado Steak House or Smokey's...:)
  • Post #123 - August 2nd, 2011, 11:56 am
    Post #123 - August 2nd, 2011, 11:56 am Post #123 - August 2nd, 2011, 11:56 am
    Anyone eaten at the Tipsy Cow? I was looking for places to eat next weekend and came across an article about this place that seemed intriguing http://www.thedailypage.com/eats/articl ... icle=34178

The concept sounds good as I love the Old Fashioned.
  • Post #124 - August 14th, 2011, 8:47 pm
    Post #124 - August 14th, 2011, 8:47 pm Post #124 - August 14th, 2011, 8:47 pm
    Lot of good food this weekend up in Madison.

Friday, we had a quick snack of frites for lunch at Brasserie V. I'd love to eat there again, as the menu had a lot interesting things again. Burgers at Dotty's Dumpling Dowry for dinner. They were pretty decent, but probably not worth waiting an hour for a table. Curds were good as well.

Saturday morning, we got up early and headed over to Greenbush Bakery to get some apple fritters and donuts for eating during the Great Taste of the Midwest beer fest. Unfortunately, getting there at 7:20 was too late for fritters since we were told they sold out around 7. We grabbed some cinnamon rolls and other donuts. The cinnamon rolls were an awesome consolation prize though. After that we hit up Marigold Kitchen for breakfast. Duck confit hash was as good as ever, maybe even better. A nice walk around the square getting some cheese bread and veggies for the week followed up until it looked like it was about to start pouring. Which, thankfully waited until we got back to our car.

For dinner Saturday night, we went to Pizza Brutta on Monroe. They serve a wood fired, neapolitan like style. It's somewhat similar to Coalfire. Very thin, with a nice chew on the charred crust. Pretty good pizza, especially for the price.
    Finnochio - Crushed tomato, oregano, pepper flakes, fennel sausage, red onion, fresh mozzarella, fontina
    Bianca con Bufala - Olive oil, basil, garlic, mozzarella di bufala, parmesan

Pizza Brutta‎
    1805 Monroe Street
    Madison, WI 53711-2024
    (608) 257-2120
    pizzabrutta.com‎

Brunch at Old Fashioned this morning, we were able to get the elusive apple fritter and it did not disappoint. Still have over half of it remaining to eat this week.
    Wisconsin Benedict - English muffin, bratwurst patty, sunny side up egg and whole ground mustard cream sauce w/rosemary potatoes. It was good, but I couldn't help but think how much better it would have been with a Ream's bratwust patty.
    My wife got a scrambler with spinach, shitake mushrooms and goat milk cheddar. I only got a small bite, but I really loved the creaminess of the eggs and the flavor of the cheese.
  • Post #125 - August 22nd, 2011, 12:02 pm
    Post #125 - August 22nd, 2011, 12:02 pm Post #125 - August 22nd, 2011, 12:02 pm
    Spent the weekend in Madison and ate quite well.

Friday night dinner was at the Old Fashioned. The beer selection is fantastic and relatively cheap, and the burger & curds were excellent. I also ordered the fish fry, and was surprised and disappointed in the soggy breading that easily fell off the fish.

Spicy Burger and Fried Cheese Curds

Checked out the farmer's market Saturday morning...had a blueberry scone, some venison sausage, and an absolute must eat...

Cheesy Bread from Stella's at the Farmer's Market

Had lunch at Meditteranean Cafe on State Street. I frequented this place a lot during college, but I have since been spoiled by much better options in Chicago. The not pictured falafel plate was just alright, with some pretty awful and dense pieces of falafel.

Saturday night dinner was spent at 43 North, a restaurant just off Capital square. It was pretty spectacular. Well executed food, balanced and unique flavor combinations, and great service.

Started off with an amuse of something I can't remember. This was probably the only thing I wasn't crazy about.

Bread course was served with a really rich butter, and some olive oil & cheese powder.

First courses consisted of an amazing lobster bisque and a very good lamb tongue salad.

Lobster Bisque, Tarragon Marshmallow and Lobster Crackling

Smoked Lamb Tongue, Potato, Frisee, Quail Egg and Caper Remoulade

Up next were the mains, and they did not disappoint.

Game Hen, Gnocchi, Wild Mushrooms, Sorrel and Mustard Caramel

My only complaint about this dish was that the gnocchi had a doughnut like texture, which made me think the flour to potato ratio was off.

Beef Striploin, Sweet Corn, Barley, Chard, Mushrooms and Raisin Puree

Dessert was artful and tasty.

Chocolate fondant, hibiscus pannacota, orange shortbread cookie, and orange and raspberry purees/sauces

Ended the weekend with brunch at Marigold Cafe...very good omelettes with awesome rosemary potatoes, and then a brat and beer on The Terrace (no pics).
  • Post #126 - September 12th, 2011, 7:53 am
    Post #126 - September 12th, 2011, 7:53 am Post #126 - September 12th, 2011, 7:53 am
    After a disappointing lunch @ Graze in Madison(2 strikes now), we wandered around the Capitol Square area chcecking out the various food carts. Pretty active scene from around 11:00 a.m. til 1:00 p.m. I had a nice slow cooked pork taco from one and wished we would have just gotten a few bites from the food carts vs a sit down lunch.

THe carts I spied on this sunny Tuesday:

Mediterranean:

burritos:

Terryaki:

Beef, dogs, sausage:

Chinese:

BBQ:

Taco Cart I hit:

I can forgive the lettuce and sour cream, I liked the slow cooked & flavorfull pork.:

• Post #127 - October 20th, 2011, 7:33 am
    Post #127 - October 20th, 2011, 7:33 am Post #127 - October 20th, 2011, 7:33 am
    I need to take some japanese businesmen to visit madison (long story). any recomendations?
  • Post #128 - October 20th, 2011, 9:06 am
    Post #128 - October 20th, 2011, 9:06 am Post #128 - October 20th, 2011, 9:06 am
    globetrotter wrote:I need to take some japanese businesmen to visit madison (long story). any recomendations?

If you want to give them a taste of Wisconsin and not spend a ton of money but have a great time, the Old Fashioned. If you want to spend a touch more (but still inexpensive) and still get a nice taste of Wisconsin, Graze. and if you want to spend a bunch, LeEtoile or Harvest.
    Visit my new website at http://www.splatteredpages.com or my old one at www.eatwisconsin.com
  • Post #129 - October 20th, 2011, 2:23 pm
    Post #129 - October 20th, 2011, 2:23 pm Post #129 - October 20th, 2011, 2:23 pm
    If these businessmen are carnivores and/or drinkers, you could hardly do better than Smoky's Club or the Tornado Steakhouse. Typical traditional Wisconsin-style supper clubs, featuring large steaks & tall, strong cocktails. Yum!
  • Post #130 - December 20th, 2011, 11:05 am
    Post #130 - December 20th, 2011, 11:05 am Post #130 - December 20th, 2011, 11:05 am
    I need advice for a nonagenarian-friendly restaurant on the western side of Madison. My MIL recently moved into a seniors’ complex there, and we want to take her out for an early dinner this Friday (Dec. 23). It can’t be pronouncedly ethnic (not even Italian) or too expensive (because she will be unhappy at what we are spending). Ideally it will take reservations and not be hard for someone in a walker to get into and around in. She likes “plain” food—meaning baked/broiled fish, turkey, or chicken, and, most importantly, there must be potatoes and bread. She likes soup but doesn’t eat salad and doesn’t drink alcohol. She also has a huge sweet tooth. I was looking at the Hubbard Avenue Diner in Middleton but would appreciate other suggestions. We have had a heckova time finding places to take her in the Chicago area, and now we need to learn a new area. The kind of place she will like is not at all the usual LTH sort of place, but I hope someone more familiar with Madison will have a good idea. Thanks.
  • Post #131 - December 20th, 2011, 2:22 pm
    Post #131 - December 20th, 2011, 2:22 pm Post #131 - December 20th, 2011, 2:22 pm
    EvA wrote:I need advice for a nonagenarian-friendly restaurant on the western side of Madison. My MIL recently moved into a seniors’ complex there, and we want to take her out for an early dinner this Friday (Dec. 23). It can’t be pronouncedly ethnic (not even Italian) or too expensive (because she will be unhappy at what we are spending). Ideally it will take reservations and not be hard for someone in a walker to get into and around in. She likes “plain” food—meaning bake
    d/broiled fish, turkey, or chicken, and, most importantly, there must be potatoes and bread. She likes soup but doesn’t eat salad and doesn’t drink alcohol. She also has a huge sweet tooth. I was looking at the Hubbard Avenue Diner in Middleton but would appreciate other suggestions. We have had a heckova time finding places to take her in the Chicago area, and now we need to learn a new area. The kind of place she will like is not at all the usual LTH sort of place, but I hope someone more familiar with Madison will have a good idea. Thanks.

What about a place like Quivey's Grove? Southwest side of Madison: http://www.quiveysgrove.com/

If you don't mind the drive to the east side, The Avenue Bar sounds up your alley too. The food is great and the atmosphere is pure Wisconsin supper club. They serve straight-forward food (steaks, chops, fish,fry) and each meal comes with bread and choice of soup, salad, or cole slaw. http://avenuebarmadison.com/
    Visit my new website at http://www.splatteredpages.com or my old one at www.eatwisconsin.com
  • Post #132 - December 20th, 2011, 3:00 pm
    Post #132 - December 20th, 2011, 3:00 pm Post #132 - December 20th, 2011, 3:00 pm
    eatwisconsin wrote:
    EvA wrote:I need advice for a nonagenarian-friendly restaurant on the western side of Madison. My MIL recently moved into a seniors’ complex there, and we want to take her out for an early dinner this Friday (Dec. 23). It can’t be pronouncedly ethnic (not even Italian) or too expensive (because she will be unhappy at what we are spending). Ideally it will take reservations and not be hard for someone in a walker to get into and around in. She likes “plain” food—meaning bake
    d/broiled fish, turkey, or chicken, and, most importantly, there must be potatoes and bread. She likes soup but doesn’t eat salad and doesn’t drink alcohol. She also has a huge sweet tooth. I was looking at the Hubbard Avenue Diner in Middleton but would appreciate other suggestions. We have had a heckova time finding places to take her in the Chicago area, and now we need to learn a new area. The kind of place she will like is not at all the usual LTH sort of place, but I hope someone more familiar with Madison will have a good idea. Thanks.

What about a place like Quivey's Grove? Southwest side of Madison: http://www.quiveysgrove.com/

If you don't mind the drive to the east side, The Avenue Bar sounds up your alley too. The food is great and the atmosphere is pure Wisconsin supper club. They serve straight-forward food (steaks, chops, fish,fry) and each meal comes with bread and choice of soup, salad, or cole slaw. http://avenuebarmadison.com/

Thanks--Quivey's Grove sounds very promising. Even if the food isn't the greatest, it sounds like a fun place to eat. We are hoping to avoid a longer drive, but the Avenue Bar sounds good too.
  • Post #133 - December 21st, 2011, 10:19 am
    Post #133 - December 21st, 2011, 10:19 am Post #133 - December 21st, 2011, 10:19 am
    Thanks--Quivey's Grove sounds very promising. Even if the food isn't the greatest, it sounds like a fun place to eat. We are hoping to avoid a longer drive, but the Avenue Bar sounds good too.

I haven't been there myself but have heard nothing but rave reviews for Quiveys. Their fish fry is usually mentioned as one of the best in the Madison area.

I have been to the Avenue a few times and its always a great time and the steaks are outstanding.
  • Post #134 - December 21st, 2011, 5:33 pm
    Post #134 - December 21st, 2011, 5:33 pm Post #134 - December 21st, 2011, 5:33 pm
    EvA wrote:I need advice for a nonagenarian-friendly restaurant on the western side of Madison. My MIL recently moved into a seniors’ complex there, and we want to take her out for an early dinner this Friday (Dec. 23). It can’t be pronouncedly ethnic (not even Italian) or too expensive (because she will be unhappy at what we are spending). Ideally it will take reservations and not be hard for someone in a walker to get into and around in. She likes “plain” food—meaning baked/broiled fish, turkey, or chicken, and, most importantly, there must be potatoes and bread. She likes soup but doesn’t eat salad and doesn’t drink alcohol. She also has a huge sweet tooth. I was looking at the Hubbard Avenue Diner in Middleton but would appreciate other suggestions. We have had a heckova time finding places to take her in the Chicago area, and now we need to learn a new area. The kind of place she will like is not at all the usual LTH sort of place, but I hope someone more familiar with Madison will have a good idea. Thanks.

I enjoy Hubbard Avenue Diner. They have great biscuits. The people who own Hubbard also own Monty's Blue Plate and Bluephie's (I believe).

The Great Dane might also be a good option. They have enough "normal" stuff (like Chicken Pot Pie, Bratwurst, fish & chips) on the menu in addition to more adventurous fare. I took my 83 year old grandmother there when she was still around and she enjoyed it.

I'm not sure if either of those places take reservations.
  • Post #135 - December 22nd, 2011, 1:53 pm
    Post #135 - December 22nd, 2011, 1:53 pm Post #135 - December 22nd, 2011, 1:53 pm
    eatwisconsin wrote:

I haven't been there myself but have heard nothing but rave reviews for Quiveys. Their fish fry is usually mentioned as one of the best in the Madison area.

I have been to the Avenue a few times and its always a great time and the steaks are outstanding.

Good to know about Quivey's. I was just responding based on some internet reviews... We've made a reservation there, so I'll report back! Thanks again, eatwisconsin.
  • Post #136 - December 25th, 2011, 6:22 pm
    Post #136 - December 25th, 2011, 6:22 pm Post #136 - December 25th, 2011, 6:22 pm
    EvA wrote:
    eatwisconsin wrote:

Good to know about Quivey's. I was just responding based on some internet reviews... We've made a reservation there, so I'll report back! Thanks again, eatwisconsin.

We had exactly the sort of holiday meal we wanted at Quivey's, and my MIL, a tough customer for restaurants, seemed quite happy with her food. The cranberry-orange muffins (apparently, the restaurant does different muffins daily) were very good and a big hit with the MIL. The food was traditional and good (not great), and the service was excellent. We really enjoyed the steamed ginger pudding for dessert. The old building was interesting and nicely decorated for the season. Given our requirements, it was a great choice.
  • Post #137 - May 1st, 2012, 9:14 am
    Post #137 - May 1st, 2012, 9:14 am Post #137 - May 1st, 2012, 9:14 am
    No pics, but wanted to share my experience at a first-time dinner at Nostrano in Madison.

I had high hopes going in, but upon looking at the menu I was a little concerned about an aggressive chef that was trying to re-invent the wheel & mixing ingredients that have no business on the same plate. Case in point was the celery salad, with 'heirloom apple | chickories | parmesan | pistachio viniagrette'. One would think that there would be bold tastes, e.g. a spicy apple offsetting the bitter greens, but unfortunately this was a bland representation of what it could have been. A special appetizer of morels, grilled asparagus & ramps promised more than delivered, but the morels/butter combo is always a taste fave of mine.

My arctic char appetizer, supposedly an upscale lox plate with 'chioggia beets | kohlrabi | horseradish cream | pumpernickel', was another disappointment. Just meh--the pumpernickel was a paper-thin toast, while the cream contained virtually no horseradish, and while plated beautifully (actually, everything LOOKED great), it looked far better than it tasted.

Not all was lost however--while the Mexican-tinged bread soup in red chile brodo with chickpeas was interesting, my whole wheat pappardelle with lamb ragu was a hit, although again not as aggressively spiced or gamy as I would have liked. If anything was outstanding, I would have to say it was the shared dessert of bittersweet chocolate mousse with olive oil gelato with candied kumquats. THAT was a perfect marriage of flavors, bold as well.

Service was cordial but slow, bordering on indifferent at times. Interesting triangular building across from Capitol Square. Prices for Madison are very high, but I knew that going in.

Nostrano
    111 S. Hamilton
    Madison, WI
    (608) 395-3295
  • Post #138 - May 16th, 2012, 10:58 am
    Post #138 - May 16th, 2012, 10:58 am Post #138 - May 16th, 2012, 10:58 am
    Earlier this year while driving back to Chicago I stopped in Madison (effectively half way on the 7hr drive to Minneapolis) for lunch. We tried Dotty Dumbling's Dowry and thought it was perfect for a quick lunch. Really good red-basket style burgers and a bunch of local taps (New Glarus Fat Squirrel on tap? Yes please).

Anyway, I would check it out if driving through the area:
    http://www.dottydumplingsdowry.com/
  • Post #139 - August 23rd, 2012, 1:35 pm
    Post #139 - August 23rd, 2012, 1:35 pm Post #139 - August 23rd, 2012, 1:35 pm
    Great Taste weekend is my yearly trip up to Madison to partake in great beer and food. We started the weekend at Brasserie V for lunch on Friday.

Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget IPA. Great stuff

Grilled veggie sandwich with goat cheese for me

BLT with avocado for my wife

Order of Frites to share

We ended up at the Weary Traveler for dinner. Hungarian Goulash for me. Grilled Walleye Sandwich for the wife. The food here was good. It was dark and loud in here. I'd like to check it out for brunch sometime.

Started off Saturday morning with a trip to Greenbush Bakery. Was able to get some giant apple fritters. Score!

The apple fritters were for later so we made our way to the Square for breakfast. Tradition states that Marigold Kitchen is the place to go on Saturday morning.

Duck Confit Hash was as delicious as always

My wife's french toast was tasty, but nothing compared to the hash.

A bit of a walk around the market to work off breakfast

Pig in a Fur Coat was dinner on Saturday night. We really enjoyed the place. The food was tasty, service was solid and vibe was good.

First course - Dates with chorizo and piquillo pepper

Second Course - Duck Egg Ravioli with bacon and brown butter sauce

Third Course - Beets with goat cheese and walnuts and balsamic

Fourth Course - Pork Belly with eggplant, pine nuts, tomatoes and sunflower seeds

Fifth Course - Trout with potato, pattypans and fennel

Sunday morning breakfast at the Old Fashioned is also tradition. Food was good like always, but the service was brutally slow.

Cheese Curds

Steak, mushroom and swiss cheese scrambler

Ham and Eggs

Brasserie V
    1923 Monroe Street
    Madison, WI 53711
    (608) 255-8500
    brasseriev.com

Weary Traveler
    1201 Williamson Street
    Madison, WI 53703
    (608) 442-6207
    wearytravelerfreehouse.com

Greenbush Bakery
    1305 Regent Street
    Madison, WI 53715
    (608) 257-1151

Marigold Kitchen
    118 South Pinckney Street
    Madison, WI 53703
    (608) 661-5559
    marigoldkitchen.com

A Pig In A Fur Coat
    940 Williamson Street
    Madison, WI 53703
    (608) 316-3300
    apiginafurcoat.com

The Old Fashioned
    23 North Pinckney Street #1
    Madison, WI 53703
    (608) 310-4545
    theoldfashioned.com
  • Post #140 - January 21st, 2013, 8:30 am
    Post #140 - January 21st, 2013, 8:30 am Post #140 - January 21st, 2013, 8:30 am
    Heading up to Madison on Saturday for a surprise night away from the kids with my wife. Trying to decide on a good spot for dinner. Anyone tried Merchant lately? The one review on this thread wasn't that glowing but it seems that recent diners have really liked it. Probably took a while to get in their groove.
  • Post #141 - May 6th, 2013, 8:05 am
    Post #141 - May 6th, 2013, 8:05 am Post #141 - May 6th, 2013, 8:05 am
    intrigued by a visit Saturday to Pig in a Fur Coat, enough so that I would/will go back.

Chefs flavors are bold thats for sure.

rabbit rillette(pistachio, pickled cherries), I dont do organs much, but I did enjoy the taste I had of this, the larded up rillette was rich and creamy. pickled cherries were great.:

also had the pork belly dish off the small plates menu, tasty pork, too much going on for me in the dish - butternut squash puree, pine nuts, - i did enjoy the pea shoots -

last dish was the one I was looking forward to the most: Egg yolk ravioli. Dish was good, rich as heck, but the star the ravioli and its egg yolks center were buried under a slice of bacon(vs perhaps using some simple but well placed bacon lardons), etc... I did enjoy the brussel sprouts that were part of this dish.

• Post #142 - June 16th, 2013, 8:15 pm
    Post #142 - June 16th, 2013, 8:15 pm Post #142 - June 16th, 2013, 8:15 pm
    Pel'meni is back.

http://m.isthmus.com/article.php?article=39803
  • Post #143 - July 15th, 2013, 1:15 pm
    Post #143 - July 15th, 2013, 1:15 pm Post #143 - July 15th, 2013, 1:15 pm
    Da Beef wrote:Ahh yes my old stomping grounds. Where do I start? Not sure so instead ill just list every place worth trying and a brief description. Hope this helps.

Pel Meni- This State St. shack was actually started by a friend of mine who spent time in Alaska and while there started making pel meni (russian dumplings). This is a small storefront and they offer pel meni in 2 ways, meat and potato, done 2 ways, traditional (lots of butter and sour cream) and their version which is vinegar, curry powder, hot sauce and cilantro. I always ordered a large($7) half and half done their way. This place is excellent for lunch.

lnasreen wrote:To Da Beef and others:
    Was in Madison this past September and was crushed to discover that PEL MENI was gone. (Or did I miss it?) That little place had a great vibe and dumplings were awesome. Wish they'd re-open somewhere in Chicago.

And better than ever!

As I mentioned when this thread first got rolling, this was without a doubt my favorite place to eat at while in college. There were days when I'd eat them at 2:30 in the morning and return around 2:30p the next day to coat my stomach for Round 2. No longer a shack on State Street open until the early morn they now have a nice clean spacious place on Gorham just off State Street with regular business hours. It was nice to see a constant presence of customers on all three of my recent visits. Yep I went everyday I was in town this past weekend and brought some uncooked ones back with me to make at home. I made due with these the time in between.

Same hand made dumplings, same menu as last time, better beef!

Paul who can be seen in the picture above at his pots has a really great operation going and I'm really glad to see him back at it. These were as good as ever and well worth the wait. I always go half and half with a small order of all beef. Just small talk but he did say we should get these on the streets of Chicago and I couldn't agree more. Stay tuned.

a Mad City Legend Returns with a Roar!

Paul's Pel'meni*
    203 W. Gorham st
    Madison, Wisconsin 53703
    (608) 354-1713

*No relation to any other locations across the country except knowing the people who run those.
  • Post #144 - January 8th, 2014, 12:54 pm
    Post #144 - January 8th, 2014, 12:54 pm Post #144 - January 8th, 2014, 12:54 pm
    Has any one been back to Dotty's Dumpling Dowry lately? It's been six years since our last visit to DDD and was wondering what the burgers were like these days.
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #145 - January 8th, 2014, 1:14 pm
    Post #145 - January 8th, 2014, 1:14 pm Post #145 - January 8th, 2014, 1:14 pm
    chicagostyledog wrote:Has any one been back to Dotty's Dumpling Dowry lately? It's been six years since our last visit to DDD and was wondering what the burgers were like these days.

I was there this past November and the burgers were as good as ever. Just as I remember from 3 years ago, the previous time I enjoyed them. Loosely packed, high quality meet, cooked to perfection.
  • Post #146 - January 8th, 2014, 1:33 pm
    Post #146 - January 8th, 2014, 1:33 pm Post #146 - January 8th, 2014, 1:33 pm
    SonofJonah wrote:
    chicagostyledog wrote:Has any one been back to Dotty's Dumpling Dowry lately? It's been six years since our last visit to DDD and was wondering what the burgers were like these days.

I was there this past November and the burgers were as good as ever. Just as I remember from 3 years ago, the previous time I enjoyed them. Loosely packed, high quality meet, cooked to perfection.

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm happy to hear all is well and expect to eat there in the near future..
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #147 - July 20th, 2014, 9:23 pm
    Post #147 - July 20th, 2014, 9:23 pm Post #147 - July 20th, 2014, 9:23 pm
    I got up to Madison for my annual summertime trip and found myself at a few of my favorites and also a couple new spots. First up as far as the recs in the feature post go. Tempest is still good for happy hour slurping though the prices have gone up a little bit. Old Fashioned remains a great choice for one of your meals and some ice cold Wisconsin brewed beer. How'd I forget about Greenbush Bakery? Is there a better baking city in the States? On top of the standard Friday Fish Fry duties you have while in-state I also did a dumpling trifecta that evening. We spotted the Soho Food Cart at the weekly 'Live on King Street' concert series (going on the next few Friday's) and also had an order of the Sausage/Shrimp/Water Chestnut Dum Sum with some drinks at Natt Spil right before that. Later that night I made my first of three visits to Pelmeni. On Saturday we did the Farmers Market in the morning, amazing as always, followed by some 'Burgers of Wisconsin' research after that. We then hit up a few towns outside of the city for some fun in the sun. There's so many great daytrips from here. New Glarus, Monroe, the Dells, Mount Horeb, Black Earth, Spring Green and Mineral Point to name a few. Also got a nice addition to add to the international eats section of the list. The family behind the casual sitdown La Taguara is bringing the flavors of their native Venezuela to East Washington avenue. We had a super satisfying lunch here featuring a sandwich that made the jibarito seem tame. Here's few other notes in pictures.

Greenbush Bakery - Best Old Fashioned Donuts in the Game

'Live on King Street'

Image Image
    Image Image
    The Food Cart Scene continues to thrive, ate Chinese Potstickers and a Trinidadian Double from them on this trip

Image Image
    Friday Fish Fry at Jordan's Big 10 Pub - Perch and Pancakes were a winner

Image Image
    Image Image
    Dane County Farmers Market is a must

La Taguera on East Washington

Pernil Arepa - Roasted Pork in a split open pancake made of ground corn, common street eats in Venezuela

Patacon Pisao Sandwich - Crispy Green Plantains w/ Shredded Beef, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese, mayo, ketchup, mustard, tartara verde and Guasacaca sauce in the middle

Greenbush Bakery
    1305 Regent St
    Madison, WI 53715
    (608) 257-1151

Jordan's Big 10 Pub
    1330 Regent St
    Madison, WI 53715
    (608) 251-6375

La Taguara
    3502 E Washington Ave
    Madison, WI 53704
    (608) 721-9100
  • Post #148 - July 21st, 2014, 8:48 am
    Post #148 - July 21st, 2014, 8:48 am Post #148 - July 21st, 2014, 8:48 am
    Da Beef wrote:
    Same hand made dumplings, same menu as last time, better beef!

These were as good as ever and well worth the wait. I always go half and half with a small order of all beef.

a Mad City Legend Returns with a Roar!

Paul's Pel'meni*
    203 W. Gorham st
    Madison, Wisconsin 53703
    (608) 354-1713

Hooked up with Dabeef to try this spot out on Sat. - definitely crave worthy, nice curry kick,

REason I was up in Madison on Saturday was for the American Girl Doll Sale at the Madison Childrens Museum. This sale is held every July and benefits the Madison Childrens Museum - Its held in Middleton.

link:

http://madisonchildrensmuseum.org/progr ... efit-sale/

While in town I also hit Pig in a Fur Coat again(took Vangie and Shay this time)- fantastic duck fat fries, and meatballs served with succulent shavings of bone marrow. Then onto Dumpling Haus for a carryout order - It would be nice to have a spot like this on a mall around here. I liked the Haus Sticker, as well as a dumpling with some broth in it and the bbq pork bao. I had to get into a supper club while in town, and luckily Toby's was about 2 minutes from my hotel. Was tempted by all the lake fish on the menu and was offered up a combo plate of Lake Perch, Walleye, and bluegill if I couldnt make up my mind. Alas just a fine version of a brandy Old Fashioned sweet was all I would get on this visit. Food I saw coming out looked great

Dumpling Haus
    702 N. Midvale
    Madison, WI.

http://dumplinghaus.com/

Toby's Supper Club
    3717 S. Dutch Mill Rd.
    Madison, WI.

http://www.tobyssupperclub.com/Tobys_Su ... /Home.html

Sunday I was draggin a bit -

Decided to drive up to Merrimac and ride the ferry across the Wisconsin River. Figured it would be cool and Shay would get a kick out of it.

Merrimac Ferry is free and takes about 10 minutes to do.

yep my truck is basically retired - 380,000 GrubSeekeing miles on the clock - switched to the Accord nowdays:

I was searching for some fried fish for breakfast , but most spots were doing traditional breakfasts around here. Hoped Hookers Resort might start serving earlier so we headed over there. Rentals, Bar & restaurant. Bar opens at 9 a.m. I think. Was hoping to get a walleye basket, ets, but had to settle for a shot of Jim Beam and a Spotted Cow as the lunch menu wasnt avail for another hour - 11:30 a.m. - cool spot,

Hookers Resort
    W9370 CR V
    Poynettes, WI.

http://www.hookersresort.com/home.aspx

Headed south-eastish after Hookers - enroute to Mukwonago, then the bratstop.
    Last edited by jimswside on July 7th, 2015, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #149 - July 22nd, 2014, 11:29 am
    Post #149 - July 22nd, 2014, 11:29 am Post #149 - July 22nd, 2014, 11:29 am
    Probably too late since you posted this yesterday but next time while in Mukwonago stop by Sandy's Miller Time on Mainstreet and try the steakburger. Sandy's is about a mile North of the Elegant Fleecer (I mean farmer) on ES/Main Street. Thick cut melty Muenster cheese on a burger with some onions sauteed in Jack Daniels paired with spotted cow hits the spot. Gotta love the joints that have the grill at the end of the bar & a skilled double duty bartender/cook.
  • Post #150 - July 22nd, 2014, 12:06 pm
    Post #150 - July 22nd, 2014, 12:06 pm Post #150 - July 22nd, 2014, 12:06 pm
    Clean Fill wrote:Probably too late since you posted this yesterday but next time while in Mukwonago stop by Sandy's Miller Time on Mainstreet and try the steakburger. Sandy's is about a mile North of the Elegant Fleecer (I mean farmer) on ES/Main Street. Thick cut melty Muenster cheese on a burger with some onions sauteed in Jack Daniels paired with spotted cow hits the spot. Gotta love the joints that have the grill at the end of the bar & a skilled double duty bartender/cook.

Thanks for the rec. Sounds like my kind of spot.

Elegant Fleecer - :lol:

Some of their stuff is pricey - I dont find their small caramel apple pies or banana bread that out of line.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more