LTH Home

Jewel-ry

Jewel-ry
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 45 of 82
  • Post #1321 - June 7th, 2021, 5:29 pm
    Post #1321 - June 7th, 2021, 5:29 pm Post #1321 - June 7th, 2021, 5:29 pm
    Word of the Day June 11th is going to be Cheerios Oat Crunch Almond 18ozbox. Not sure if it's only Almond flavor but often Jewel will allow you to substitute other flavors.

Saturday Obscure Beverage Sampler June 12th will be Bubbl'r 12 oz singles. Clip 6/12-13
    Redeem by 6/14
  • Post #1322 - June 8th, 2021, 11:32 pm
    Post #1322 - June 8th, 2021, 11:32 pm Post #1322 - June 8th, 2021, 11:32 pm
    HI,

I read my receipts before I leave the store usually. It is a habit drawn from watching my Mom fume at a wrong price and driving back to the store to retrieve the difference.

Today, I was charged for both cans of sardines, which I clipped a BOGO coupon. I was charged full price for grapes when I had a just4u coupon at 77 cents per pound. Oddly, the $3 reduction for a purchase of over $4 for vegetables was honored.

Of course, my phone was not cooperating at least initially. I was advised if I had AT&T service, I would get a better reception. If that guy had seen my thought bubble, it would have wiped the smile off his face. He didn't, though I ended up restarting my phone to access my account to show the selected coupons.

My bill was adjusted to return just over $7 and I got a raincheck on an absent product on sale.

All savings were wiped out by the burrito bought on the way home. It was one of those heavy football type burritos, which I shared with my Mom.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #1323 - June 9th, 2021, 1:04 pm
    Post #1323 - June 9th, 2021, 1:04 pm Post #1323 - June 9th, 2021, 1:04 pm
    I got charged for the sardines too. They were $2.99 each. I was there Sunday to get some more free Monopoly items. I got $18 worth of free items. They were still out of the clippers though, and I passed on the other 10 bottles of water I could have gotten. When I got home I looked up the sardines, and the ones that were B1G1F were in a box, and I am not sure if I saw any sardines in a box. They were on sale for $1.99 before the B1G1F. I did not go to customer service because I was not sure if I got the right ones, even though I ones I bought were also 3.75 ounces. The Jewel I went to on Chicago Ave. does not have the best customer service department, and you usually have to wait for somebody to come and help you. Usually the person in charge of self check out is also in charge of customer service.

For this upcoming week I did not get 2 times the points on anything purchased in the produce section. I always get that. On Sunday, I had that, but I forgot to click it, and so I lost out on 9 points. The cherries were subpar again. I will have to wait and see if they go on sale cheap enough at Whole Foods to tempt me. The ones at Whole Foods are much better.
  • Post #1324 - June 9th, 2021, 3:06 pm
    Post #1324 - June 9th, 2021, 3:06 pm Post #1324 - June 9th, 2021, 3:06 pm
    Hi,

I was at the Jewel on Greenbay Rd and Grand Ave in Waukegan.

All workers and almost all patrons were masked. If you were unmasked, nobody said anything, either.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #1325 - June 10th, 2021, 10:13 am
    Post #1325 - June 10th, 2021, 10:13 am Post #1325 - June 10th, 2021, 10:13 am
    Based on seeing a few employees without masks at the Wilmette Jewel on Green Bay Rd, it's impossible to infer anything other than it not being required for vaccinated employees (I'm 99% sure the small sign for customers said they're recommended for those unvaccinated). I think that's the correct approach and I was happy to see it. Hopefully restaurants do the same. If people want to wear them go ahead, but the concept of a mandate is past the point of rationality. For outside events like farmers markets it's extra demeaning.
  • Post #1326 - June 10th, 2021, 12:08 pm
    Post #1326 - June 10th, 2021, 12:08 pm Post #1326 - June 10th, 2021, 12:08 pm
    NEW @ Jewel-Osco:
    @cheerios
    Oat Crunch Almond! This cereal is a tasty and filling breakfast, that contains real almond slices, which adds extra crunch, amplified taste, & health benefits! Try a box for FREE on Friday, June 11th by saying the word 'Almond' at the register.

• Post #1327 - June 10th, 2021, 1:21 pm
    Post #1327 - June 10th, 2021, 1:21 pm Post #1327 - June 10th, 2021, 1:21 pm
    I was told a few weeks ago by a Jewel cashier, that employees will still be required to wear masks. I noticed when I went to the Evanston farmer's market last Saturday that there were some people in their 20's that were outside the square, but were still supposed to be wearing masks, and they had taken there masks off.

The city of Evanston is doing a program at Robert Crown this Saturday talking about their upcoming budget, this Saturday, and people will be required to wear masks, and they are also doing a program on 6/17 at the Levy Center about changes that are going to take place at the traffic lights on Ridge to reduce accidents, and they are going to require social distancing and masks for that. I might go to that one because I live on Ridge, and it would affect me., I am still going to wear my mask when I go to the farmers market and Jewel.
  • Post #1328 - June 10th, 2021, 2:52 pm
    Post #1328 - June 10th, 2021, 2:52 pm Post #1328 - June 10th, 2021, 2:52 pm
    I went to one of the two Jewels in Mundelein today. The sign on the door said masks were recommended for unvaccinated customers. The adult employees were not wearing masks; the girl at the register in my checkout line was. My guess was that this was because she was young enough to not yet be vaccinated (a manager came over to scan the alcohol). Most but not all of the customers I saw in the store were wearing masks. I presumed that this was out of habit and maybe fear of reproach from others, although I opted not to wear my mask (first time in a store since a year ago March!), and I didn't get the sense that anyone minded. If I saw news that people around here were already vaccinated were getting infected with one of the new strains of the virus, I would be more likely to continue wearing a mask in stores.

Going to one of the Cubs-Cards games this weekend, the first series with Wrigley at full attendance, so it will be interesting to see what the masking habits and other protocols are compared to when I last went to Wrigley in April.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #1329 - June 10th, 2021, 11:12 pm
    Post #1329 - June 10th, 2021, 11:12 pm Post #1329 - June 10th, 2021, 11:12 pm
    NFriday wrote:I am still going to wear my mask when I go to the farmers market and Jewel.

I’m absolutely with ya
  • Post #1330 - June 14th, 2021, 7:58 pm
    Post #1330 - June 14th, 2021, 7:58 pm Post #1330 - June 14th, 2021, 7:58 pm
    I was at the Jewel on Green Bay in Wilmette today. About 80% of the customers were wearing masks, and about 80% of the employees were too. I saw a sign in the store that said that if an employee was not vaccinated they were still required to wear a mask. I ran into a friend of mine while I was there, and he was wearing a N95 mask.

My B1G1F J4U for the sardines worked today. The coupon was only good on the King Oscar sardines that were $3.49, and were in a box. I also got three bags of mushroom compost that they had on clearance for 50% off. I don't know if any one is interested, but Jewel has Mori Nu tofu on sale for $1.50

I bought some of the $1.99 a pound cherries today. I hope they are better than the rest of the cherries I have bought at Jewel so far this year.
  • Post #1331 - June 27th, 2021, 6:21 am
    Post #1331 - June 27th, 2021, 6:21 am Post #1331 - June 27th, 2021, 6:21 am
    Where’s Artie? Saturday Sampler = Vita Coco Pressed Coconut Water
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #1332 - July 8th, 2021, 2:33 pm
    Post #1332 - July 8th, 2021, 2:33 pm Post #1332 - July 8th, 2021, 2:33 pm
    NEW @ Jewel-Osco Nature Valley Soft-Baked Muffin Bars! Made with real fruit and whole grain--these are the perfect soft-baked snack for on the go! Choose from 3 flavors: Blueberry, Lemon Poppyseed and Apple Cinnamon. Just say "Muffin Bars" at the register to redeem for free. (valid 1 per customer on 7/9/21 only). #WordoftheDay
  • Post #1333 - July 17th, 2021, 2:46 pm
    Post #1333 - July 17th, 2021, 2:46 pm Post #1333 - July 17th, 2021, 2:46 pm
    The Saturday Sampler this weekend is a 20.2 ounce bottle of Bodyarmor Edge. There are four flavors to choose from.
  • Post #1334 - July 27th, 2021, 8:59 am
    Post #1334 - July 27th, 2021, 8:59 am Post #1334 - July 27th, 2021, 8:59 am
    Hi Nancy,

I just got an invite, if that's what's it called, for Fresh Pass Perks. Reading through their materials, I see no reason to engage. Maybe your MashUpMom friends see value I overlooked?

$5 Promotional Credit per month until end of 2021, but you spend 12.99 per month or 99. per year
    5% off of O Organics® and Open Nature® products - almost never buy
    Rewards Don’t Expire
    Monthly Starbucks® perk - my Jewel has no Starbucks
    VIP customer service phone line - I visit the service desk at the store ...

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #1335 - July 27th, 2021, 4:47 pm
    Post #1335 - July 27th, 2021, 4:47 pm Post #1335 - July 27th, 2021, 4:47 pm
    I am on an advisement board for Jewel. They send me emails probably once a month asking my opinion about something. A few months ago they asked my opinion of this program they were thinking about implementing. It sounded like it was similar to Walmarts + plan. I told them that I definitely was not interested in the program. Maybe I would be if it was free. I posted over at mashupmom about the program when I got the email about it, and the general consensus was that no way would anybody pay for this. I do buy O Organics and Open Nature occasionally when it is on sale. There are some healthy O Organic frozen burritos I used to buy when they were on sale for $2, but I have not seen them on sale for at least six months. One of the stores I shop at does not carry them either. I also buy O Organics baby carrots in the winter time sometimes. Saving 5% on O Organics and Open Nature definitely does not tempt me. The only thing that appealed to me was having the points carry over. I just went to Jewel yesterday, and I need to spend one more dollar to get another reward, and I don't know if I will make it to Jewel before the end of the month. I never get groceries delivered, and so the free delivery would not interest me. There is another similar program that CVS has that they keep promoting, and I am not interested in that one either.

On rare occasion I will call the 1-800 number for customer service when I am having problems with my J4U, and that does often take awhile to get to speak to anyone.

Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #1336 - July 27th, 2021, 5:49 pm
    Post #1336 - July 27th, 2021, 5:49 pm Post #1336 - July 27th, 2021, 5:49 pm
    NFriday wrote:On rare occasion I will call the 1-800 number for customer service when I am having problems with my J4U, and that does often take awhile to get to speak to anyone.

Hope this helps, Nancy

It helps.

I message Jewel via Facebook about whatever issue I may have. I check in later to have it always have it resolved in my favor.

I just cannot see my using this program.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #1337 - July 28th, 2021, 11:17 pm
    Post #1337 - July 28th, 2021, 11:17 pm Post #1337 - July 28th, 2021, 11:17 pm
    This week's ad has 88-cent General Mills cereal and Nature Valley granola bars, limit 4, must buy 4. I also found in my Just4U coupons a 50-cent off 2 NV granola bar boxes and a $1 off 2 GM cereals. It looks like 2 granola bars plus 2 cereals would be $2.02, a pretty good deal.

I haven't gone to Jewel yet this week, but in the past those ad specials and manufacturer's coupons did stack.
  • Post #1338 - August 2nd, 2021, 6:04 pm
    Post #1338 - August 2nd, 2021, 6:04 pm Post #1338 - August 2nd, 2021, 6:04 pm
    Hi,

One of the interesting challenges of Just4U, you cannot easily get clarification on what the special priced item maybe. The manager does not know what has been offered to you, so you are referred back to your phone.

I will sometimes take the item, then check my receipt and if it is not discounted, visit the customer service. At one Jewel, it was particularly difficult because they had a weak wifi. If I am 'wrong,' then often I just get a refund. At this point, I am finished shopping and don't want to run around more.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #1339 - August 2nd, 2021, 9:50 pm
    Post #1339 - August 2nd, 2021, 9:50 pm Post #1339 - August 2nd, 2021, 9:50 pm
    I did not get the J4U coupons for the granola bars or GM cereal. Probably because I never buy them. I usually don't have any problems with stuff not coming off. There are some cases where I thought something was on my J4U and I found out it was not. There was also the B1G1F cans of oysters recently that was only good for a few kinds of oysters, and people were going to customer service to tell them that they they should have gotten the second can for free when they bought the wrong item. Before I head out to Jewel, I usually double check to see what is on my J4U so I don't forget anything.

Right now I am getting the $.99 butter and $2.84 gallon of milk and various frozen healthy dinners marked down, and I have Dawn dish washing soap on a special price of $2.99, and I have a $2 off of 2 bottles coupon.
  • Post #1340 - August 3rd, 2021, 7:19 am
    Post #1340 - August 3rd, 2021, 7:19 am Post #1340 - August 3rd, 2021, 7:19 am
    The J4U/coupon combo worked fine. There was a strange moment at the self checkout register, though. I bought a bunch of cans of black olives for 10/$10. Every time I scanned a can of olives, the register added then removed a box of Lucky Charms. Total due and receipt were fine. The clerk said, "Sometimes it does that."

I get tons of cereal coupons, I suppose because I sometimes buy cereal. But I bought 99 cent butter every time it was offered and I don't get that coupon any more. And I always have a 49 cent Jewel buns coupon. I don't think I have ever bought those.
  • Post #1341 - August 3rd, 2021, 11:50 pm
    Post #1341 - August 3rd, 2021, 11:50 pm Post #1341 - August 3rd, 2021, 11:50 pm
    I just checked to see what my offers are again, and I am getting Jewel milk again for $2.84, and Healthy Choice dinners for $2.56, and I am getting a coupon for $1 off Lucerne milk, but none of the Jewel stores I go to have Lucerne milk anymore.

I was at the Wilmette Jewel on Green Bay tonight, and they had Amy's black bean burritos and O Organics burritos on clearance for $1.48 in the frozen section. I got five Amy's, and four O Organic ones. I always check my receipt to make sure they did not make a mistake before I leave the store, and when I looked at my receipt, I could barely read it. While I was trying to figure it out, the person in charge of self checkout went up to me and asked me if something was wrong with my receipt, and I showed it to her. I was concerned because I wanted to make sure the clearance burritos rang up correctly. I told her it was probably okay. When I got home I was able to mostly figure out my receipt, and I think I got charged the correct amount, but I noticed that I was eligible for an entry in the tailgate drawing, and I have no idea what code I am supposed to enter.

I bought some of the $1.99 a pound Western cherries tonight, and I am glad I got the smallest bag I could find. They were on their last leg.
  • Post #1342 - August 4th, 2021, 6:53 am
    Post #1342 - August 4th, 2021, 6:53 am Post #1342 - August 4th, 2021, 6:53 am
    Hi,

I have the same $1 off Lucerne milk, which Jewel in Highland Park stocks. I paid $1.99 per gallon.

I usually buy two gallons of Jewel milk for $4 total, which has now jumped to $5. I saw Mariano's offers two gallons for $4, so guess where the next milk purchase is from.

I got an eye catching coupon for $40 discount with a minimum $70 purchase, if you order online. I guess I can now try out ordering online.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #1343 - August 5th, 2021, 2:14 pm
    Post #1343 - August 5th, 2021, 2:14 pm Post #1343 - August 5th, 2021, 2:14 pm
    I got a $40 off an online order of $75. I rarely spend $75 at Jewel, and plus if I order online, then I can't see if there are anythings on clearance like there was last time I was there. I spent $13.38 on clearance items I found. I did have a two free rewards if you spend $50, and I would have used that one, but one of the items I wanted to get was the calcium chews which were on sale B1G1F, but they only had one container in stock, and so I passed on them, and I only spent $40.

I just got an email from Jewel telling me that they are changing the name of the Just For U to Jewel Osco for U. Everybody is going to get a free item for their birthday, and a free item once a month. I think there is going to be a new app too. They are also getting rid of gas rewards which I never used anyway once they added the grocery rewards. I mostly get my gas at Sams Club. It will be interesting to see if everybody is going to get the same free items or not.
  • Post #1344 - August 5th, 2021, 3:38 pm
    Post #1344 - August 5th, 2021, 3:38 pm Post #1344 - August 5th, 2021, 3:38 pm
    NFriday wrote:I just got an email from Jewel telling me that they are changing the name of the Just For U to Jewel Osco for U. Everybody is going to get a free item for their birthday, and a free item once a month. I think there is going to be a new app too.

I've already got the new app. Probably there's a factor of "They changed everything!" but so far I'm not liking it. It does make it easy to put something on your list that you've bought previously, but if you have your "deals" categorized, you can't just scroll through them -- it's one category at a time.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1345 - August 5th, 2021, 5:05 pm
    Post #1345 - August 5th, 2021, 5:05 pm Post #1345 - August 5th, 2021, 5:05 pm
    JoelF wrote:I've already got the new app. Probably there's a factor of "They changed everything!" but so far I'm not liking it. It does make it easy to put something on your list that you've bought previously, but if you have your "deals" categorized, you can't just scroll through them -- it's one category at a time.

Glad to know that I’m not the only one that dislikes the new app.
  • Post #1346 - August 5th, 2021, 8:07 pm
    Post #1346 - August 5th, 2021, 8:07 pm Post #1346 - August 5th, 2021, 8:07 pm
    And the free item for one's birthday is offered just three days after my birthday. :o
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #1347 - August 5th, 2021, 10:56 pm
    Post #1347 - August 5th, 2021, 10:56 pm Post #1347 - August 5th, 2021, 10:56 pm
    Usually those free birthday things are good for the whole month, and so maybe you are covered. I don't remember giving them my birthday, but maybe I did.

For people that live in Evanston, the city has changed their mask policy. They are now encouraging even people that are vaccinated to wear masks inside stores. COVID cases have gone way up this week in Evanston. Last time I was at Jewel, about 50% of the customers were wearing masks.
  • Post #1348 - August 6th, 2021, 8:47 am
    Post #1348 - August 6th, 2021, 8:47 am Post #1348 - August 6th, 2021, 8:47 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    JoelF wrote:I've already got the new app. Probably there's a factor of "They changed everything!" but so far I'm not liking it. It does make it easy to put something on your list that you've bought previously, but if you have your "deals" categorized, you can't just scroll through them -- it's one category at a time.

Glad to know that I’m not the only one that dislikes the new app.

I'm in the new app dislike crowd. It used to be much easier to find the "Sizzling Hot Offers" in the old app. I'm having to look at the ad then go to my app to find the item(s) I want. It doesn't seem user friendly.
    -Mary
  • Post #1349 - August 9th, 2021, 3:27 pm
    Post #1349 - August 9th, 2021, 3:27 pm Post #1349 - August 9th, 2021, 3:27 pm
    If you like lamb, specifically in a slow cooked ragu, give Jewel a visit (main locations, smaller ones like Plaza Del Lago, which is good for some things when Green Bay Rd are out, aren't stocked). Amazing value on lamb shoulder pieces I used for a sauce last night (second time in two weeks). The original price is $6.50/lb. Then it gets marked down to $4/lb with the yellow label. Then they also slap a 30% off at checkout label on it, so it's something like $2.80/lb. The amount of flavor they put into a sauce is just absurd. Even if you don't fully braise to maximum tenderness, it still comes off the bone.

Most important thing to remember on these sauces is to start early enough for it to cool and thicken, before mixing with pasta. It's too loose (flavor still great) unless you have at least an hour to cool out of the oven.
  • Post #1350 - August 9th, 2021, 10:55 pm
    Post #1350 - August 9th, 2021, 10:55 pm Post #1350 - August 9th, 2021, 10:55 pm
    Hi- I just discovered that I did not give Jewel my birthday when I signed up for J4U, and so I just signed into J4U, and got into my account, and then when they asked me for my birthday, I supplied them with the information. You get to your account by clicking on in the upper right hand corned of the page, and then clicking on account.

I also noticed that there is a free item in J4U right now, but it expires on 8/10. It is a package of hand sanitizer wipes. They are supposed to be in the liquid soap section. To find it on your J4U just click on the free item button where the Saturday sampler button was, and then clip it. I wonder if the Saturday sampler is coming back. It looks like the wipes are part of the free item everyone is supposed to get, and so it sounds like everybody gets the same free item.

I was at the Kosher Jewel on Howard yesterday, and they also had the O Organics and Amy's burritos on clearance for $1.48, and so I got some more. The O Organics beans and cheese, and black bean burritos are on clearance, and the Amy's black bean burritos are also on clearance. The Amy's Vietnamese burritos are on clearance for $1.78

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more