In need of a new blender

In need of a new blender
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - July 12th, 2019, 12:04 pm
    Post #61 - July 12th, 2019, 12:04 pm Post #61 - July 12th, 2019, 12:04 pm
    Agree with Ronnie, Geo and Al,
    Noise never crossed my mind.

I love any product that does what it is supposed to do and this fits the bill.
  • Post #62 - July 12th, 2019, 12:11 pm
    Post #62 - July 12th, 2019, 12:11 pm Post #62 - July 12th, 2019, 12:11 pm
    Noise may be an issue if you're opening a smoothie stand but for the limited time you need to use a blender it's not intolerable. In my previous home I had a Hobart commercial dishwasher with a 90-second cycle. It was pretty loud. For 90 seconds. My current Bosch is superquiet but it takes an hour or so per load.
  • Post #63 - July 12th, 2019, 1:43 pm
    Post #63 - July 12th, 2019, 1:43 pm Post #63 - July 12th, 2019, 1:43 pm
    There are companies that sell BLENDER ENCLOSURES if you think noise is an issue.

How To Soundproof Your Blender 8 Different Ways:
    https://soundproofmaster.com/how-to-quiet-a-blender/
  • Post #64 - July 25th, 2019, 1:04 pm
    Post #64 - July 25th, 2019, 1:04 pm Post #64 - July 25th, 2019, 1:04 pm
    Costco Niles has Vitamix for what seems a decent price. I have a Vitamix, not this model, so can't comment on this exact one. I bought mine at Restaurant Depot 4-5 years ago, after falling in love with the one at the restaurant I worked. Runs like a champ, I get the feeling it would grind concrete to dust in short-order.

VitamixCostco2.jpg Costco Vitamix

VitamixCostco3.jpg Costco Vitamix

Vitamix1.jpg G Wiv Vitamix, 4-5 years old
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #65 - August 15th, 2019, 2:24 pm
    Post #65 - August 15th, 2019, 2:24 pm Post #65 - August 15th, 2019, 2:24 pm
    Very happy with my Vitamix 5300 that I bought from Costco on sale some years ago. I prefer the wider, squatter blender jar of the 5300 to the taller, narrower 5200. It has yet to complain about anything its been asked to blend.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #66 - December 30th, 2020, 1:13 pm
    Post #66 - December 30th, 2020, 1:13 pm Post #66 - December 30th, 2020, 1:13 pm
    Just ordered the Vitamix 5200 for $300 on the Vitamix website. It's on sale for $400, and there is a 25% coupon (use either FFVITADEC or FFVITADEC2). Sale may end tomorrow. Steep discounts makes replacing my perfectly fine Oster go down a little easier.
  • Post #67 - December 30th, 2020, 1:58 pm
    Post #67 - December 30th, 2020, 1:58 pm Post #67 - December 30th, 2020, 1:58 pm
    Darren72 wrote:Steep discounts makes replacing my perfectly fine Oster go down a little easier.

I have a classic Osterizer with a low and high switch. It might be my Grandmother's or one I bought at a rummage sale because it was just like hers. I used it last week to puree an ice cream base. It has been years since I last used this blender. I have to keep reminding me of this, because the siren sound of a Vitamix is appealing.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #68 - January 8th, 2021, 11:11 am
    Post #68 - January 8th, 2021, 11:11 am Post #68 - January 8th, 2021, 11:11 am
    I believe I have the same Vitamix as what is shown in the pictures. It works well. I also have the classic Oster "beehive" blender that also works well. I think a Kitchen aid is also squirreled away in the basement. I think I have a blender problem.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #69 - January 8th, 2021, 11:35 am
    Post #69 - January 8th, 2021, 11:35 am Post #69 - January 8th, 2021, 11:35 am
    toria wrote:I believe I have the same Vitamix as what is shown in the pictures. It works well. I also have the classic Oster "beehive" blender that also works well. I think a Kitchen aid is also squirreled away in the basement. I think I have a blender problem.

Or you have a gift for your son hiding somewhere!

I love the beehive look of the Osterizer. My stick blender is probably why I don't use a blender very often.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #70 - January 8th, 2021, 11:49 am
    Post #70 - January 8th, 2021, 11:49 am Post #70 - January 8th, 2021, 11:49 am
    I'm with C2: it's just *amazing* what you can do with a stick blender! I've used it on simple things, such as my home-canned tomatoes; as well as on tougher things, such as chicken livers, turkey gizzards, and other stuff in the making of patés and rillettes. It really is surprising how, if you're careful, you can chew up just about anything and everything.

Of course there IS a learning curve: I've spattered as far as my ceiling, learning how to liquify stuff in the wrong container!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #71 - January 8th, 2021, 2:20 pm
    Post #71 - January 8th, 2021, 2:20 pm Post #71 - January 8th, 2021, 2:20 pm
    What the stick blender cannot do is rough chop, which can be done by a blender with practice, though a food processor is better.
  • Post #72 - January 8th, 2021, 2:51 pm
    Post #72 - January 8th, 2021, 2:51 pm Post #72 - January 8th, 2021, 2:51 pm
    lougord99 wrote:What the stick blender cannot do is rough chop, which can be done by a blender with practice, though a food processor is better.

I don’t think a stick blender or regular blender can purée to the level of a VitaMix either—it’s fine for things where some pulp is ok but if you want a completely smooth texture, nothing I’ve used gets close to a VitaMix.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #73 - January 8th, 2021, 3:29 pm
    Post #73 - January 8th, 2021, 3:29 pm Post #73 - January 8th, 2021, 3:29 pm
    D'accord boudreaulicious. But: I've got a VitaMix as well (of course! : ) and the times that I pull it out in order to get that last 3-4% are just rare enough. Which, of course, says two things quite clearly:

1) I'm lazy; and

2) My standards for "good enough" in terms of smoothness of a blending job have slipped over the years.

However, I will say this: problems with cavitation, and with reaching heretofore unreached spots of the mix are considerably lessened with the stick blender, which I always rate as a plus.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #74 - January 8th, 2021, 4:29 pm
    Post #74 - January 8th, 2021, 4:29 pm Post #74 - January 8th, 2021, 4:29 pm
    No question in my mind that Vitamix reins supreme in terms of performance but when it comes to clean-up, I'll take a stick blender 10 times out of 9! :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #75 - January 8th, 2021, 4:46 pm
    Post #75 - January 8th, 2021, 4:46 pm Post #75 - January 8th, 2021, 4:46 pm
    For me the best thing about my "boat motor" is small quantities, like salad dressings. The Waring full-size blender I have has an all-glass bowl, you can't remove the bottom. I'd lose like 60% under the blades for anything as thick as mayo if I'm making less than a cup.
    Just the other night, I made a quick basil vinaigrette with the Cuisinart stick blender. I don't even bother chopping things like basil leaves and garlic cloves, I don't worry about drizzling in oil -- the solids are completely pulverized and everything emulsifies like a dream.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #76 - January 8th, 2021, 6:20 pm
    Post #76 - January 8th, 2021, 6:20 pm Post #76 - January 8th, 2021, 6:20 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote: I don’t think a stick blender or regular blender can purée to the level of a VitaMix either—it’s fine for things where some pulp is ok but if you want a completely smooth texture, nothing I’ve used gets close to a VitaMix.

Which is exactly why Rick Bayless says ( in many different recipes ) 'if you are using a vitamix blender just pour into the pot, otherwise strain through a mesh strainer into the pot'.
  • Post #77 - January 8th, 2021, 6:25 pm
    Post #77 - January 8th, 2021, 6:25 pm Post #77 - January 8th, 2021, 6:25 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:No question in my mind that Vitamix reins supreme in terms of performance but when it comes to clean-up, I'll take a stick blender 10 times out of 9! :D

=R=

Lol—my stick blender is so precariously positioned in a currently overstuffed cabinet that I have to be super motivated to want to take it out (and it’s worse putting it back :) :) :) ). My VitaMix and Cuisinart are on the counter, so easy access = more use. My new cabinets will solve this problem and I’m sure I’ll get reacquainted with my stick blender soon.

I do wish the VitaMix had the removable base —it’s a particularly narrow area and I have struggled to get anything non-liquified out of it.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #78 - January 8th, 2021, 6:29 pm
    Post #78 - January 8th, 2021, 6:29 pm Post #78 - January 8th, 2021, 6:29 pm
    Where you should become familiar with the stick blender is for small jobs. There is nothing that does it better. Hopefully your stick blender came with a plastic container that is tall but just wider than your blender. There is nothing better than this vessel for blending small amounts of food.

I will be using the stick blender tomorrow morning to make the hollandaise sauce for the eggs benedict.
  • Post #79 - January 8th, 2021, 6:54 pm
    Post #79 - January 8th, 2021, 6:54 pm Post #79 - January 8th, 2021, 6:54 pm
    Hi,

My stick blenders all came from rummage sales. I don't always get all the accessories.

I use deli quart containers to use with my stick blender. More often than not, I hope I can blend whatever is in the pot and skip the container.

I did learned a new trick when blending liquids in a food processor. Pulse a couple of times, then let it tear. I made a whip cream frosting over the holidays using this technique. The liquid did not climb up the sides. The initial pulse seemed to reduce the liquid from climbing up the walls.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #80 - January 9th, 2021, 4:11 pm
    Post #80 - January 9th, 2021, 4:11 pm Post #80 - January 9th, 2021, 4:11 pm
    I will give my son the beehive blender. I will save the Kitchen aide for the new house in Wisconsin. I also have two stick blenders and a magic bullet too.
    Cathy2 wrote:
    toria wrote:I believe I have the same Vitamix as what is shown in the pictures. It works well. I also have the classic Oster "beehive" blender that also works well. I think a Kitchen aid is also squirreled away in the basement. I think I have a blender problem.

Or you have a gift for your son hiding somewhere!

I love the beehive look of the Osterizer. My stick blender is probably why I don't use a blender very often.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #81 - January 9th, 2021, 4:23 pm
    Post #81 - January 9th, 2021, 4:23 pm Post #81 - January 9th, 2021, 4:23 pm
    toria wrote:. . . a magic bullet too.

How is that? It looks like it would be very good for smaller-batch-type stuff but I've never tried one, or even seen one in person. My mini cuisinart is a definite underperformer when it comes to smaller batches. It needs to be scraped down over and over, and even then, it scatters things around more than it actually cuts them.

=R=
  • Post #82 - January 9th, 2021, 5:21 pm
    Post #82 - January 9th, 2021, 5:21 pm Post #82 - January 9th, 2021, 5:21 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:My mini cuisinart is a definite underperformer when it comes to smaller batches. It needs to be scraped down over and over, and even then, it scatters things around more than it actually cuts them.
    =R=

You absolutely need to get a stick blender. When I was given one as a present, it got thrown in the drawer where nothing is used. Then I started using it and now I would never be without it. Since starting to use my stick blender, I have literally never used my mini cuisinart.
  • Post #83 - January 9th, 2021, 5:27 pm
    Post #83 - January 9th, 2021, 5:27 pm Post #83 - January 9th, 2021, 5:27 pm
    lougord99 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:My mini cuisinart is a definite underperformer when it comes to smaller batches. It needs to be scraped down over and over, and even then, it scatters things around more than it actually cuts them.
    =R=

You absolutely need to get a stick blender. When I was given one as a present, it got thrown in the drawer where nothing is used. Then I started using it and now I would never be without it. Since starting to use my stick blender, I have literally never used my mini cuisinart.

Yes, I have one and I really like it but it's not great for certain tasks, especially chopping more solid items, like nuts. That's why I'd also like a small cuisinart-type processor for some in between tasks.

=R=
  • Post #84 - June 22nd, 2021, 8:09 am
    Post #84 - June 22nd, 2021, 8:09 am Post #84 - June 22nd, 2021, 8:09 am
    Vitamix 5200 is on sale today on Amazon for $280 for prime day.
  • Post #85 - June 22nd, 2021, 9:27 am
    Post #85 - June 22nd, 2021, 9:27 am Post #85 - June 22nd, 2021, 9:27 am
    vita mix is the best. I'll be honest, the little magic bullet blender is pulled out more often than not. It does a good job of most smaller things. For me the vitamix might be a more expensive toy. I do use it once and a while.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #86 - June 22nd, 2021, 12:25 pm
    Post #86 - June 22nd, 2021, 12:25 pm Post #86 - June 22nd, 2021, 12:25 pm
    On the topic of blenders, does anybody know a place that would repair one? I have a Breville where the o-ring at the bottom of the jug broke off, and Breville discontinued the model, so they wouldn't offer any replacement jug. I don't want to scrap a $200+ blender for a $2 o-ring, but I also can't use it currently.

Most appliance places focus on dishwashers and fridges, but it can't be that nobody in the world fixes blenders.
  • Post #87 - June 22nd, 2021, 12:28 pm
    Post #87 - June 22nd, 2021, 12:28 pm Post #87 - June 22nd, 2021, 12:28 pm
    gnarchief wrote:On the topic of blenders, does anybody know a place that would repair one? I have a Breville where the o-ring at the bottom of the jug broke off, and Breville discontinued the model, so they wouldn't offer any replacement jug. I don't want to scrap a $200+ blender for a $2 o-ring, but I also can't use it currently.

Most appliance places focus on dishwashers and fridges, but it can't be that nobody in the world fixes blenders.

Have you tried sourcing the part and fixing it yourself? I might be a viable, low-cost option.

=R=
  • Post #88 - June 22nd, 2021, 1:14 pm
    Post #88 - June 22nd, 2021, 1:14 pm Post #88 - June 22nd, 2021, 1:14 pm
    gnarchief wrote:On the topic of blenders, does anybody know a place that would repair one? I have a Breville where the o-ring at the bottom of the jug broke off, and Breville discontinued the model, so they wouldn't offer any replacement jug. I don't want to scrap a $200+ blender for a $2 o-ring, but I also can't use it currently.

Lots of possibilities.

Search for the specific size gasket on Amazon or elsewhere.

Cut your own. In many cases high precision isn't as important as you may think. Look for 'food grade gasket material.'

Find a trashed similar blender on eBay or elsewhere. You might save on postage by asking the seller to send only the gasket.

Check with Manau Cutlery in Pilsen. Search this board for more info.
  • Post #89 - June 22nd, 2021, 3:05 pm
    Post #89 - June 22nd, 2021, 3:05 pm Post #89 - June 22nd, 2021, 3:05 pm

I'd check https://www.appliancepartspros.com to see if they sell the o-ring or the replacement jug. If they have the o-ring, there's a good chance they have a video on how to install it (or you might find one on youtube).
  • Post #90 - July 12th, 2022, 12:56 pm
    Post #90 - July 12th, 2022, 12:56 pm Post #90 - July 12th, 2022, 12:56 pm
    Darren72 wrote:Vitamix 5200 is on sale today on Amazon for $280 for prime day.

And on sale for $300 today: https://www.amazon.com/Vitamix-Blender- ... PDKIKX0DER

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more