LTH Home

What are you making for dinner tonite?

What are you making for dinner tonite?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 47 of 49
  • Post #1381 - August 31st, 2021, 9:55 am
    Post #1381 - August 31st, 2021, 9:55 am Post #1381 - August 31st, 2021, 9:55 am
    ^^^

This year, I am growing red okra in addition to my normal Clemson Spineless variety.

What I have notices is that the red color seems to go away once that the okra is cooked.
  • Post #1382 - August 31st, 2021, 10:13 am
    Post #1382 - August 31st, 2021, 10:13 am Post #1382 - August 31st, 2021, 10:13 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:^^^

This year, I am growing red okra in addition to my normal Clemson Spineless variety.

What I have notices is that the red color seems to go away once that the okra is cooked.

Nice. What I learned from ekreider (in a post here) -- and you probably already know this -- is to pick it early. When it gets too big, no amount of cooking can soften it. There's just no bringing it back. I had to discard a few pods yesterday because they were huge and fibrous. I'm not even sure the farmer realized how useless the overgrown pods were. Bigger isn't always better.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #1383 - August 31st, 2021, 2:21 pm
    Post #1383 - August 31st, 2021, 2:21 pm Post #1383 - August 31st, 2021, 2:21 pm
    Many red or purple vegetables fade or turn green when cooked. Acidifying the cooking liquid is commonly used to reduce color bleed for red cabbage or onions and may work on other vegetables. We used to grow purple snap beans when we had a much larger garden because they were easier to see for picking. I grew red okra one time many years ago and do not remember whether we ever tried acid in cooking water. In any case I was underwhelmed by the product.

Under good growing conditions okra needs to be picked daily or it will get ahead of you and become stringy. Small okra is best cooked whole, not sliced, to prevent mucilage all over the dish (unless you want mucilage as a thickener).
  • Post #1384 - August 31st, 2021, 6:29 pm
    Post #1384 - August 31st, 2021, 6:29 pm Post #1384 - August 31st, 2021, 6:29 pm
    I tried Maesri red curry paste for the first time tonight. I used 3/4 can in 1 cup coconut milk and while tasty, was significantly hotter than we like. Next time it will be 1/2 or even a little less of a can.
  • Post #1385 - August 31st, 2021, 6:57 pm
    Post #1385 - August 31st, 2021, 6:57 pm Post #1385 - August 31st, 2021, 6:57 pm
    Weeknight solo SausageFest over here tonight (okay, that sounded kind of creepy) . . .

Plated Up

Mrs. Suburban is out with some friends tonight, so I grilled up a couple of links from the grocery store. Ukrainian ring kielbasa, smoked grilling sausage, Polish rye bread, homemade jalalpeno dill pickles, the dark dregs of the weekly slaw (still tasted good but not very photogenic) and a very nice Martha Washington tomato from the garden.

=R=
  • Post #1386 - September 1st, 2021, 12:52 pm
    Post #1386 - September 1st, 2021, 12:52 pm Post #1386 - September 1st, 2021, 12:52 pm
    First, it was lunch, and other than the homegrown tomato, I can't really say I "cooked" any of it but it was quite a fine, seasonal indulgence . . .

Nova & Sesame Bagel
    With homegrown tomato and chives. I don't even bother with this if I don't have a great tomato.

=R=
  • Post #1387 - September 1st, 2021, 4:14 pm
    Post #1387 - September 1st, 2021, 4:14 pm Post #1387 - September 1st, 2021, 4:14 pm
    That is the ultimate. Great tomatoes on great cured salmon. ( I assume that is still your extra special lox ).
  • Post #1388 - September 1st, 2021, 6:04 pm
    Post #1388 - September 1st, 2021, 6:04 pm Post #1388 - September 1st, 2021, 6:04 pm
    lougord99 wrote:That is the ultimate. Great tomatoes on great cured salmon. ( I assume that is still your extra special lox ).

Actually, no. This is some commercially made stuff (Ma' Cohen), that I got through a foodservice outlet. It's definitely in the top two of all the commercial stuff I've ever tried. I wouldn't hesitate to order it again.

Speaking of new-to-me, the same foodservice outlet recently started carrying some Texas-raised Iberico pork. I got a few cuts, including some spares. The slabs were relatively small. I felt a bit odd about smoking rarefied Iberico but they are spare ribs after all, so in the end, I figured it was a good choice . . .

Grill-Smoking Texas Iberico Spares
    As you can see, these are what my BBQ friends refer to as shiners (because there's so little meat, the bones shine through). I don't think a quick grill would have done the trick but I'm guessing they would have performed better in a bigos or some other, moisture-forward preparation. I also have some belly and some cheek, and I hope I'll be able to handle those cuts more successfully. In any case, the flavor of the meat was excellent, so I look forward to working with the other cuts.

I also got RID of some produce, in preparation for tomorrow's CSA delivery . . .

Mise En Place & Konosuke YW White #2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Chives, shallots, minced garlic, mini tomatoes, salt, black pepper, green beans, 4x gelatinous pork stock, evoo, red wine and creminis.

We're nearing the end of the (mini) tomatoes from our garden. But I liked including them here because they combined with the stock and the wine to create a tasty, lightly acidic sauce.

Stir-Fried Veggies
    Really loving the wok these days, even when the preparation isn't necessarily Asian.

Plated Up
    Texas Iberico Spares and veggies. :)

=R=
  • Post #1389 - September 1st, 2021, 8:15 pm
    Post #1389 - September 1st, 2021, 8:15 pm Post #1389 - September 1st, 2021, 8:15 pm
    Cure the cheek as guanciale?
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1390 - September 1st, 2021, 8:45 pm
    Post #1390 - September 1st, 2021, 8:45 pm Post #1390 - September 1st, 2021, 8:45 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Texas Iberico Spares and veggies. :)

Very very nice.

We went all veg tonight. Delicata squash, tomato, potato, pepper. Healthy.

click to enlarge

Veg, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1391 - September 1st, 2021, 11:06 pm
    Post #1391 - September 1st, 2021, 11:06 pm Post #1391 - September 1st, 2021, 11:06 pm
    JoelF wrote:Cure the cheek as guanciale?

Yeah, I think so. Probably some of belly too, the latter of which I also plan to smoke. I'd like to braise/stew some of each, too but it's not quite cold enough out yet for those kinds of dishes.

G Wiv wrote:We went all veg tonight. Delicata squash, tomato, potato, pepper. Healthy.

Looks good and I don't even like hard squash. But I think I've cooked more vegetables in the last 18 months than in the preceding 10 years -- and have a renewed appreciation. So, seeing your dinner made me nod in appreciation.

Of course, that's probably true about cooking in general. I used to do it 2-3 days a week. Now, it's about 25 days a month. And you can cook a lot of veggies in 25 days, especially when you do it 18 months in a row! :D

=R=
  • Post #1392 - September 2nd, 2021, 8:35 pm
    Post #1392 - September 2nd, 2021, 8:35 pm Post #1392 - September 2nd, 2021, 8:35 pm
    Tamago Gohan + sardines = dinner.

click to enlarge
    Image Image

Sardines, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1393 - September 2nd, 2021, 8:44 pm
    Post #1393 - September 2nd, 2021, 8:44 pm Post #1393 - September 2nd, 2021, 8:44 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Sardines, count me a Fan!

Damn! You are all in on the deens! :D

=R=
  • Post #1394 - September 3rd, 2021, 8:43 pm
    Post #1394 - September 3rd, 2021, 8:43 pm Post #1394 - September 3rd, 2021, 8:43 pm
    Strip steak & asparagus on the grill. Baked potato, home grown tomato & Texas 1015. Hit the meat sweats vibe.

click to enlarge

Steak, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1395 - September 4th, 2021, 7:49 pm
    Post #1395 - September 4th, 2021, 7:49 pm Post #1395 - September 4th, 2021, 7:49 pm
    Took another shot at a family favorite, mapo tofu. But before that, side-dishery . . .

Eggplant Mise En Place & Konosuke YW White #2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Japanese eggplant, grated ginger & minced garlic, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, 5-year black vinegar, oyster sauce and veg oil.

Had a windfall of eggplant from our CSA (in addition to some more I inadvertently bought that I didn't even use tonight) so decided on this prep, which is also becoming a staple around here. Stir-fry the eggplant until it's soft but not mushy, then add ginger and garlic, followed by all the sauce components. Simmer to combine and done.

Sweet & Sour Eggplant
    I guess that's basically how it plays. The wonders of black vinegar. :wink: Garnished with chives.

Next up, the main event . . .

Mise En Place & Konosuke YW White #2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Coarse-ground pork, scallion tops, fermented black beans, broad bean paste, freshly-ground Sichuan peppercorns, minced garlic, leeks, extra firm tofu & tofu sheets (didn't have enough tofu but had these on hand), corn starch and 4x gelatinous pork stock.

Had to call an audible with the tofu sheets, which I cut into small rectangles. Nowhere near an exact match for tofu and it definitely changed the character of the dish but still, really satisfying in its own way.

Plated Up
    Mapo tofu with pork, garnished with scallions and sweet & sour eggplant, garnished with chives.

=R=
  • Post #1396 - September 7th, 2021, 7:26 pm
    Post #1396 - September 7th, 2021, 7:26 pm Post #1396 - September 7th, 2021, 7:26 pm
    Back by popular demand, and well timed, since this was partially prepped during a power outage . . . SausageFest!

Assorted Wursts
    Ukrainian kielbasa, smoked grillers and hot Italian.

Plated Up
    Sausage troika, leftover/reheated okra and a blob of the weekly slaw. Not that I don't use it all the time but it was especially nice having the charcoal grill while the power was out. There was one side dish I would have made if I'd been able to comfortably cook inside but this turned out just fine.

=R=
  • Post #1397 - September 10th, 2021, 8:13 pm
    Post #1397 - September 10th, 2021, 8:13 pm Post #1397 - September 10th, 2021, 8:13 pm
    Felt good to be back at it after a couple of nights away from the kitchen. Grilled shrimp and a quick stir-fry seemed like a nice, easy-effort dinner . . .

U-12 Shrimp & Yu Kurosaki VG10 Fujin Petty, 120mm
    Peeled the shells by hand but used the trusty Fujin to devein these guys. They're lightly coated in veg oil and seasoned with one of my spice rubs. Back to these in a bit.

Vegetable Mise En Place & Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 Damascus Gyuto, 240mm
    Assorted bell peppers, onions, minced garlic, black pepper, hot soybean paste, veg oil, 4x gelatinous pork stock and soy sauce. Peppers are just insane this week both in our CSA box and at the store. Even though they're not my favorite, I figured now was as good a time as any to use them front and center. This batch of stock, made only from meatless bones and hip joints (that I roasted), is more gelatinous than jello. It easily passed the 'hold it upside-down' test. :D

Stir-Fried Peppers & Onions
    These turned out nicely and made a perfect base for the shrimp.

Shrimps On The Barbee
    I got distracted and let the chimney burn way too long before I dumped it. If I'd been cooking anything but shrimp, I would have had to start a new fire. Luckily, I still had enough candlepower to make it happen. :oops:

Brandywine Tomatoes
    It's pretty much impossible to have a meal without homegrown tomatoes right now. Mixed it up slightly here by sprinkling them with 5-year black vinegar instead of balsamic. Good but not as good, imo.

Plated Up
    Charcoal-grilled shrimp over stir-fried peppers and onions. Garnished with chives, and served with Brandywine tomatoes.

=R=
  • Post #1398 - September 11th, 2021, 4:39 pm
    Post #1398 - September 11th, 2021, 4:39 pm Post #1398 - September 11th, 2021, 4:39 pm
    No cabbage but I managed another round of Weekly Slaw . . .

Kohlrabi, Radicchio, Carrot & Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 Damascus Gyuto, 240mm
    Felt good using up a few stray items in a familiar application. This turned out really well.

In addition to the slaw, tonight's dinner will be a bunch of reheated stuff from the past week. I did make a quick omelet for brunch, though. Even it incorporated leftovers . . .

Leftover Okra Omelet with Cotija Cheese
    With some toasted/buttered baguette, and garnished with more chives from my friend's farm. This okra has lasted a long time. Hoping to finish it off later. It's not bad but I made it too spicy for Mrs. Suburban, so I've had to go it alone. Two pounds of okra goes a loooooong way when you're taking it down on your own. :D

=R=
  • Post #1399 - September 11th, 2021, 8:24 pm
    Post #1399 - September 11th, 2021, 8:24 pm Post #1399 - September 11th, 2021, 8:24 pm
    Naengmyeon refrigerator package from H-Mart. Plus sardines and egg. Wild Planet in olive oil. (Boil then chill soba noodles. Add cold broth. Ice. Assorted hot. Radish. Both fresh and pickled.)

click to enlarge

Naengmyeon with sardines, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1400 - September 12th, 2021, 6:28 pm
    Post #1400 - September 12th, 2021, 6:28 pm Post #1400 - September 12th, 2021, 6:28 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Naengmyeon with sardines, count me a Fan!

Wow, does that look great! :)

Even though it's a consensus family favorite, I was reminded today why I don't make Mongolian Beef regularly. Lots of moves, long, multi-stage prep, heavy clean-up. It's somewhat of a PITA. But my son loves it (so do I :)) and I guess his persistent, enthusiastic requests finally motivated me . . .

Sauce Mise En Place
    Corn starch for slurrying, brown sugar, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, 4x gelatinous pork stock and soy sauce. The recipe I started with calls for water but as long as I had homemade stock on hand, I used it instead. Just mixed 3 parts water to 1 part stock to bring it back to single strength, then used it to create the sauce (corn starch slurry added at the very end). Even though I set this up first, it's pretty much the final stage of the prep.

Beef Mise En Place & Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 Damascus Gyuto, 240mm
    Sliced 'pepper beef' tenders, Shaoxing cooking wine, eggs (only the whites are used, for velveting the meat), black pepper/salt/baking soda, grated ginger & minced garlic, corn starch (also for velveting), scallion bottoms, scallion tops and veg oil for frying. I used the optional baking soda for additional tenderizing because I didn't use the greatest quality beef for this. The scallion bottoms and some of the tops get cooked later, with the sauce, during the final assembly. The rest of the tops are reserved for garnish.

The meat gets mixed with the Shaoxing, salt, black pepper, baking soda, garlic and ginger, and marinates for 30 minutes. After that, it gets coated with the corn starch. Once evenly coated, the egg whites are mixed in to envelope all the pieces. After that sits another 5-10 minutes, the beef is velveted . . .

Velveted Beef
    Not exactly an appetizing image but velveting is really useful. It tenderizes the beef and gives its exterior a silky (one might even say velvety ;)) texture. After a few minutes, it's ready for frying in the veg oil . . .

Par-Cooked / Fried Beef
    Since it will finish cooking later in the sauce, the beef is fried in the oil just until it browns and gets slightly crispy on the edges. I had almost 2 pounds of beef, so using my wok, I had to fry it in 3 shifts.

From here, it's a pretty easy assembly. Scallion bottoms, along with the remainder of the garlic and ginger, get sweated in a dash of veg oil, after which the rest of the sauce components go in. As I mentioned above, I ended up making a separate slurry and applied it last. Once the sauce had reached the desire thickness, I tossed the meat in and stirred to coat in entirely . . .

Mongolian Beef
    Garnished with scallion tops.

Plated Up
    Over jasmine rice and served with a blob of the weekly slaw.

=R=
  • Post #1401 - September 13th, 2021, 6:57 pm
    Post #1401 - September 13th, 2021, 6:57 pm Post #1401 - September 13th, 2021, 6:57 pm
    Back to one, with grilled chicken thighs. But first, side dish prep . . .

Glaze Mise En Place & Makoto AS Ryusei Gyuto, 210mm
    Everything but the eggplant . . . toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, minced garlic, spicy pepper paste, Tupelo honey, red pepper sauce and evoo. Have to pat myself on the back a little here because this glaze was really delicious.

Broiled & Glazed Eggplant
    Spritzed these planks with evoo, then broiled them for about 12 minutes. After that, glazed them and baked them for another 15 minutes at 350F. Garnished with sesame seeds and chives.

Rubbed Chicken Thighs
    Made a rub that consisted of salt, black pepper, white pepper, Sichuan peppercorn, coriander, cumin, granulated garlic, granulated onion and gochugaru.

Grilling
    These took about 30 minutes, covered, on the indirect side.

Plated Up
    Charcoal-grilled chicken thighs with broiled/glazed eggplant and a blob of the weekly slaw.

Happy Monday! :)

=R=
  • Post #1402 - September 13th, 2021, 8:37 pm
    Post #1402 - September 13th, 2021, 8:37 pm Post #1402 - September 13th, 2021, 8:37 pm
    Cheeseburger, corn, veg = dinner.

click to enlarge

Cheeseburger, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1403 - September 14th, 2021, 6:35 pm
    Post #1403 - September 14th, 2021, 6:35 pm Post #1403 - September 14th, 2021, 6:35 pm
    End of the season corn, some nice steaks and a real treat on the mushroom front . . .

Maitakes & Kobayashi R2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Got a hold of 3 pounds, and this is about half of them.

Saute-Pressed Maitakes
    Started them hot in a bit of evoo to color them. After that, I put the bottom of a second pan on top of them and pressed them down. Once they started to soften up and emit some moisture, I added salt, a wee bit of soy sauce, big spoonful of 4x gelatinous pork stock, cracked black pepper and tiny bit of garlic. When they were suitably soft and the liquid had almost completely cooked away, I added a few tiny cubes of cold, unsalted butter and garnished them with chives.

Main event . . .

Grilling
    After a few moments on directly over the coals (flipping 3 times), these were moved over to finish on the indirect side. Was shooting for about 117F internal.

Gratuitous Platter Shot
    In addition to making dinner, I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs of my new camera.

Plated Up
    Charcoal-grilled ribeye, maitake mushrooms and buttered corn on the cob.

=R=
  • Post #1404 - September 15th, 2021, 7:00 pm
    Post #1404 - September 15th, 2021, 7:00 pm Post #1404 - September 15th, 2021, 7:00 pm
    Kind of strange but successful, multi-cultural combination tonight. Wanted to get RID of some items and just didn't have the brain power to come up with a consistent theme. Started with a non-photogenic, overnight misoyaki marinade of some black cod (white miso, mirin, sake, sugar). Got home from work wanting to dispatch some green beans and eat more of our homegrown tomatoes. So, that's exactly what we did . . .

Green Bean Mise En Place & Kobayashi R2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Veg oil, minced garlic, toasted sesame oil, green beans, shoyu and mirin. Just a quick stir fry. Held back the sesame oil until after I'd killed the heat.

Since I had no real plan and we're still enjoying our tomato bounty, I figured why not just take the obvious route . . .

Caprese Salad
    Rally, Martha Washington, Yellow Brandywine, Green Zebra & Burrata.

Plated Up
    Misoyaki black cod (marinated for 20 hours, broiled for 12 minutes), stir-fried green beans and jasmine rice, with caprese salad riding shotgun.

=R=
  • Post #1405 - September 15th, 2021, 9:37 pm
    Post #1405 - September 15th, 2021, 9:37 pm Post #1405 - September 15th, 2021, 9:37 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Caprese Salad
    Rally, Martha Washington, Yellow Brandywine, Green Zebra & Burrata.

Nice dinner, delightful salad!

We also had caprese with a gorgeous tomato, though no pics. Pic is grilled NY Strip, sliced for the plate, Golden fried rice and sauteed spinach. Tasty, though the spinach was weirdly tough even sauteed.

click to enlarge

Tomatoes, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1406 - September 17th, 2021, 5:13 pm
    Post #1406 - September 17th, 2021, 5:13 pm Post #1406 - September 17th, 2021, 5:13 pm
    Bela sardines in olive oil. On toasted pita w/cream cheese, pickled red onion, tomato and cucumbers = tasty lunch.

click to enlarge

Sardines, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1407 - September 17th, 2021, 5:15 pm
    Post #1407 - September 17th, 2021, 5:15 pm Post #1407 - September 17th, 2021, 5:15 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Bela sardines in olive oil. On toasted pita w/cream cheese, pickled red onion, tomato and cucumbers = tasty lunch.

Yum . . . I'll bet those are great. How was the smoke?

=R=
  • Post #1408 - September 17th, 2021, 5:25 pm
    Post #1408 - September 17th, 2021, 5:25 pm Post #1408 - September 17th, 2021, 5:25 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Yum . . . I'll bet those are great. How was the smoke?

For the most part when a can of sardines say smoke its really just a hint, at least to my BBQ loving self.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1409 - September 17th, 2021, 11:19 pm
    Post #1409 - September 17th, 2021, 11:19 pm Post #1409 - September 17th, 2021, 11:19 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Yum . . . I'll bet those are great. How was the smoke?

For the most part when a can of sardines say smoke its really just a hint, at least to my BBQ loving self.

Like a sweet kiss from Lucille Ball after a Chesterfield! :lol:

Cooked dinner for some friends, who were bemused by my picture-taking (but also understanding and patient). It had been a few weeks and I'd never made it for my friends, so back to red curry chicken . . .

Mise En Place & Sakoda AS Gyuto, 210mm
    Extra firm tofu, Thai basil, shallots, kaffir lime leaves & Thai birds eye chiles, Thai eggplant, zucchini, chicken thigh meat, fish sauce, coconut milk/bamboo shoots/curry paste/gapi, king oyster mushrooms, 4x gelatinous pork stock, Swiss chard and veg oil.

Maiden voyage for the Sakoda, which handled everything really well, and was a joy to use. Zucchini clung to the blade quite a bit but nothing else really did at all. I'm not sure yet about the profile, which is fairly santoku-like but I think it matches up well with my natural motion. Once I try it on some finer cuts, I'll be able to tell if that tip and I are going to get along. That said, as a push-cutter and chopper, I do really like the relatively long flat area, which extends from the heel to nearly the middle of the blade. And unlike a lot of Santokus, this blade is tall enough to avoid knuckle banging.

Plated Up
    Red curry chicken with jasmine rice and stir-fried bok choy (homemade shrimp stock, garlic, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, Shaoxing wine and corn starch slurry)

=R=
  • Post #1410 - September 18th, 2021, 9:09 pm
    Post #1410 - September 18th, 2021, 9:09 pm Post #1410 - September 18th, 2021, 9:09 pm
    Bela Sardines, lightly smoked w/ lemon + hummus, pickled red onion, torshi, hard boiled egg, toasted pita for lunch. Hummus went surprisingly well.

Bela were firm yet tender. Good flavor, tasty oil, not overpowered by added components.

click to enlarge

Bela Sardines, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide