LTH Home

Slow Cooker Beans

Slow Cooker Beans
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Slow Cooker Beans

Post #1 - August 3rd, 2012, 11:22 am
    Post #1 - August 3rd, 2012, 11:22 am Post #1 - August 3rd, 2012, 11:22 am
    I was hoping to make baked beans next week but I don't want to turn on the oven in this heat. Anybody have a good recipe for baked/bbq beans made in a slow cooker? I'd also prefer to use dried beans.

Thanks!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #2 - August 4th, 2012, 3:48 pm
    Post #2 - August 4th, 2012, 3:48 pm Post #2 - August 4th, 2012, 3:48 pm
    Try "Taste of home" recipes,I was just going through it and they did list 27 differant recipes.The best one I ever had, but lost the recipe,was from"Firehouse" magazine.
  • Post #3 - November 28th, 2021, 12:24 am
    Post #3 - November 28th, 2021, 12:24 am Post #3 - November 28th, 2021, 12:24 am
    50 Years Ago, Kansas City Introduced The Crock-Pot. These Women Taught America To Use It
    Before the Crock-Pot was a household name, it was called the Naxon Beanery — and offered a more specific, bean-centric purpose.

Patented by prolific inventor Irving Naxon, the Beanery was originally intended for a Jewish stew of meat and beans called cholent, which is slowly cooked on Fridays in preparation for the Sabbath.

The bean cooker that eventually became the Crock-Pot was first patented by prolific inventor Irving Naxon in 1940.

A nifty creation, for sure, but the "bean pot" never caught on with the masses — so in 1970, Naxon sold his device to Rival Manufacturing. The Kansas City company was already famous for kitchen gadgets like the Juice-O-Mat juicer and the Knife-O-Mat sharpener.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - November 28th, 2021, 9:01 pm
    Post #4 - November 28th, 2021, 9:01 pm Post #4 - November 28th, 2021, 9:01 pm
    Since I got an Instant Pot I'm a huge fan of using that for all legumes. Dry pinto beans to done with 30 minutes under pressure. Chickpeas take 60 minutes before they're ready to make hummus. Split pea soup from ham hocks I cured and then smoked in one day.
    I hope using such a device doesn't get me marched off the forum. :o
  • Post #5 - November 28th, 2021, 10:33 pm
    Post #5 - November 28th, 2021, 10:33 pm Post #5 - November 28th, 2021, 10:33 pm
    HankB wrote:Since I got an Instant Pot I'm a huge fan of using that for all legumes. Dry pinto beans to done with 30 minutes under pressure. Chickpeas take 60 minutes before they're ready to make hummus. Split pea soup from ham hocks I cured and then smoked in one day.
    I hope using such a device doesn't get me marched off the forum. :o

There is a heavily responded thread called Behold, The Instant Pot where you will find the LTH subtribe.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - November 29th, 2021, 8:27 am
    Post #6 - November 29th, 2021, 8:27 am Post #6 - November 29th, 2021, 8:27 am
    Cathy2 wrote:50 Years Ago, Kansas City Introduced The Crock-Pot. These Women Taught America To Use It
    ...Patented by prolific inventor Irving Naxon, the Beanery was originally intended for a Jewish stew of meat and beans called cholent, which is slowly cooked on Fridays in preparation for the Sabbath...

Not at all surprised it was invented by observant Jews for the sabbath -- cholent (which we always just called "the soup" and IMO was the best thing my maternal grandmother made, although I may have been the only one of the grandkids that liked the grainy dissolved beans).

I've got three: a regular-size round one, an oval one, and a small round one. These days, I have a couple recipes I use my crockpot for (I don't have an Instant Pot): Nihari, stews (just did an osso bucco a couple weeks ago), but mostly they're used to keep things warm at parties. I can't conceive of making pulled pork there when smoked is so much better, and we just don't eat a lot of beans.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more