LTH Home

What's with the price of...

What's with the price of...
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - December 27th, 2021, 11:15 am
    Post #31 - December 27th, 2021, 11:15 am Post #31 - December 27th, 2021, 11:15 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:A 30-ounce jar of Hellman's mayonnaise is up to $6.00 pretty much across the board at all of the local grocery stores we shop. :shock:

    I've been buying Hellman's from Costco. Can't remember the price - $5 or so for 64 ounces? Plus it seems to go on sale once or twice a year. There is one in our fridge now and an unopened one in the basement.
    -Mary
  • Post #32 - December 27th, 2021, 11:34 am
    Post #32 - December 27th, 2021, 11:34 am Post #32 - December 27th, 2021, 11:34 am
    The GP wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:A 30-ounce jar of Hellman's mayonnaise is up to $6.00 pretty much across the board at all of the local grocery stores we shop. :shock:

    I've been buying Hellman's from Costco. Can't remember the price - $5 or so for 64 ounces? Plus it seems to go on sale once or twice a year. There is one in our fridge now and an unopened one in the basement.

    I wish I had the room for the larger jars. Mayo resides in the door in our fridge and the 30-ounce jar is the largest vessel that will fit in that space. FYI, the price seems to have subsided as quickly as it rose. Even pricey Sunset has 30-ounce jars on sale this week for $3.99. Fresh Farms is the most recent place I saw it for $6.00 but I haven't been there in a couple of weeks, so it may have dropped there, as well.

    Speaking of Fresh Farms, last time I was there, heads of iceberg lettuce that were, not-too-long-ago, $4/each and later $2, were down to $1.29/each.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #33 - December 27th, 2021, 6:33 pm
    Post #33 - December 27th, 2021, 6:33 pm Post #33 - December 27th, 2021, 6:33 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I wish I had the room for the larger jars. Mayo resides in the door in our fridge and the 30-ounce jar is the largest vessel that will fit in that space....
    =R=
    Just save the smaller jars, and divided the big jar into them. Then they will fit in the door. Or just don't refrigerate the mayo, like I'm told many Southern do (don't?). Keep it the food pantry, yes, opened. Not that I do that.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #34 - December 27th, 2021, 7:41 pm
    Post #34 - December 27th, 2021, 7:41 pm Post #34 - December 27th, 2021, 7:41 pm
    Xexo wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I wish I had the room for the larger jars. Mayo resides in the door in our fridge and the 30-ounce jar is the largest vessel that will fit in that space....
    =R=
    Just save the smaller jars, and divided the big jar into them. Then they will fit in the door. Or just don't refrigerate the mayo, like I'm told many Southern do (don't?). Keep it the food pantry, yes, opened. Not that I do that.

    No way. Once it's opened, you have to keep it cold. The oil goes rancid very quickly otherwise. I'm not a food scientist but I am a guy who remembers his mistakes. :wink:

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #35 - December 27th, 2021, 7:56 pm
    Post #35 - December 27th, 2021, 7:56 pm Post #35 - December 27th, 2021, 7:56 pm
    I'm not saying you are wrong, but I don't understand why oil would go rancid when it is in mayo, but not when it is simply oil.

    Oil in the pantry should give you a solid 6 months before starting to go rancid.
  • Post #36 - December 27th, 2021, 8:03 pm
    Post #36 - December 27th, 2021, 8:03 pm Post #36 - December 27th, 2021, 8:03 pm
    lougord99 wrote:I'm not saying you are wrong, but I don't understand why oil would go rancid when it is in mayo, but not when it is simply oil.

    Oil in the pantry should give you a solid 6 months before starting to go rancid.

    Maybe it's the eggs or another component? All I know is that mayo we opened and accidentally stored dry did not lead to a palatable outcome. Maybe we just left it too long?

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #37 - December 28th, 2021, 6:13 am
    Post #37 - December 28th, 2021, 6:13 am Post #37 - December 28th, 2021, 6:13 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote: Maybe we just left it too long?
    =R=

    For me, that would be the problem.

    When googling the subject, articles that seem to be credible claim that leaving commercially made mayo out does not pose a bacterial issue because of the acid and the cleanliness of the conditions in making the product. But, they say that refrigeration will extend the shelf life.

    I just don't use that much mayo and would not be surprised if I keep it 6 mo to a year before buying more.
  • Post #38 - December 28th, 2021, 8:45 am
    Post #38 - December 28th, 2021, 8:45 am Post #38 - December 28th, 2021, 8:45 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:FYI, the price seems to have subsided as quickly as it rose. Even pricey Sunset has 30-ounce jars on sale this week for $3.99.
    =R=


    I was also gonna suggest that Costco goes down to 5.99 or 4.99 for a 64 oz jar several times per year. I've noticed that Kraft brand mayo steadily goes on sale for cheep at pretty much ALL of the grocery stores, but Hellman's has recently always been more expensive, even at peak mayo sales times (holidays like The 4th, Turkey Day, Memorial/Labor.)

    But I got sidetracked.

    I wanted to write that maybe the mayo price has gone down since the stores knew Ronnie_S was complaining. I was going to ask you to please start complaining more about chicken wang$.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #39 - December 28th, 2021, 11:07 am
    Post #39 - December 28th, 2021, 11:07 am Post #39 - December 28th, 2021, 11:07 am
    seebee wrote:I wanted to write that maybe the mayo price has gone down since the stores knew Ronnie_S was complaining. I was going to ask you to please start complaining more about chicken wang$.

    LOL - I'm not much of a wang buyer but if thigh pricing goes nuts, I may lose my sh*t! :lol:

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #40 - December 28th, 2021, 10:41 pm
    Post #40 - December 28th, 2021, 10:41 pm Post #40 - December 28th, 2021, 10:41 pm
    seebee wrote:
    I wanted to write that maybe the mayo price has gone down since the stores knew Ronnie_S was complaining. I was going to ask you to please start complaining more about chicken wang$.



    Hellmans is $3.49/ 30 oz this week both locally and at Marianos.

    =========================

    I made my semi-annual trip to Safeway today ... No wings on their "Wing" Bar, only chicken legs and breast chunks.

    I also purchased more $3.59 T-bone steaks - 10# for a couple of neighbors. I have a feeling that this will be a trend. This grocery is offering $100 gift certs for $89 and I may need to buy more.
  • Post #41 - December 29th, 2021, 8:14 am
    Post #41 - December 29th, 2021, 8:14 am Post #41 - December 29th, 2021, 8:14 am
    On the price of wings: I've been getting ads online for Wing Stop saying "Look at our thighs!" featuring fried thighs and thigh nuggets. Obviously they need to sell something they can make money off of, and wings aren't doing it.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #42 - December 29th, 2021, 12:51 pm
    Post #42 - December 29th, 2021, 12:51 pm Post #42 - December 29th, 2021, 12:51 pm
    Hellman's mayo (30 oz) usually gets put on sale at $2.99 a few times a year (different times at different stores). For me, that's the price at which to buy an extra one to store in the pantry. I've never had a problem keeping an unopened one on the shelf for months. Once opened, I would definitely keep it in the fridge. That said, I've read that when you hear about food poisoning at picnics and such, it usually turns out to be attributable not to the mayo itself but to some protein that was mixed with it.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #43 - January 10th, 2022, 12:56 am
    Post #43 - January 10th, 2022, 12:56 am Post #43 - January 10th, 2022, 12:56 am
    When no lowfat ice cream is on sale at Jewel, I break down and get Kemp's frozen yogurt which was $4.99. When I went to Jewel recently, I noticed that it had gone up for $5.49. I decided that I did not need it, and nothing else was on sale that was low fat. Usually about this time of year, I can get holiday ice cream on clearance, but I have not seen much eggnog or peppermint ice cream at Jewel this year.
  • Post #44 - January 10th, 2022, 10:06 am
    Post #44 - January 10th, 2022, 10:06 am Post #44 - January 10th, 2022, 10:06 am
    NFriday wrote:When no lowfat ice cream is on sale at Jewel, I break down and get Kemp's frozen yogurt which was $4.99. When I went to Jewel recently, I noticed that it had gone up for $5.49. I decided that I did not need it, and nothing else was on sale that was low fat. Usually about this time of year, I can get holiday ice cream on clearance, but I have not seen much eggnog or peppermint ice cream at Jewel this year.


    I don't know much about the fat content but Nick's Ice Cream is BOGO at Jewel and there is a $1.50 coupon in J4U. From my quick read, Nick's is a version of light ice cream. I took the plunge and got a couple of pints. Mr. X is designated the peanut butter cup and he said he liked it. I tried the triple chocolate and found it to be okay. Kind of an odd finish. It will do in a pinch. ;-)
    -Mary
  • Post #45 - January 15th, 2022, 8:00 am
    Post #45 - January 15th, 2022, 8:00 am Post #45 - January 15th, 2022, 8:00 am
    Just yesterday my Dad inquired if prices were really increasing at the grocery store. He does not go to the store.
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #46 - January 15th, 2022, 11:25 am
    Post #46 - January 15th, 2022, 11:25 am Post #46 - January 15th, 2022, 11:25 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Just yesterday my Dad inquired if prices were really increasing at the grocery store. He does not go to the store.


    Nor do most of the politicians who claim that inflation is not that bad. I would like to see a redo of the old Jay Leno "Man on the Street" where they start asking the member of Congress the prices of commodities. One of the local Congress people just stated that gasoline has only gone up 2 cents a gallon in the last year.

    ==========================================

    What I find interesting is that some of the companies that were most vocal in raising their prices (i.e., General Mills) have been offering a lot of promotions through retailers in the past month. I think that the last five boxes of cereal that I have bought have been $1.47 or less.

    ===========================================

    My father and I have been discussing what we did during the inflation period in the late 70s. Our purchases these days are limited to what is discounted and what is on sale. Fortunately, we have a good supply of salvage produce, home grown produce, and free milk that serves to offset a lot of the inflation.
  • Post #47 - January 15th, 2022, 1:44 pm
    Post #47 - January 15th, 2022, 1:44 pm Post #47 - January 15th, 2022, 1:44 pm
    I still have lots of the bulk produce I got from Henry Brockman at the pre Thanksgiving market. I have tons of carrots, turnips, parsnips, beets garlic and sweet potatoes, and I still have five pounds of his potatoes and a bunch of his huge scallions and half a cabbage as well as about 12 of the sweet potatoes I got for $.09 a pound at Jewel at Thanksgiving. I am going to make some vegetarian shepherd's pie to use up most of the potatoes and some of the other veggies.

    I do not see many deals on fruit though. I went to Jewel a week ago, and they had bags of pears B1G1F, and when I got to Jewel they were out of them, and clementine oranges were on sale $4.99 for three pounds, which is not much of a sale. I got some Florida strawberries that were on sale for $1.77 a few weeks ago, and they were not that good. Bananas are $.59 a pound everywhere right now, and milk at Jewel is currently $2.99 a gallon. I know it is 2/$4, but it would spoil before I was able to use up two gallons of milk. At least I got a bag of Christmas coffee on clearance for $2 at Jewel a few weeks ago that I have not finished yet.
  • Post #48 - January 15th, 2022, 3:06 pm
    Post #48 - January 15th, 2022, 3:06 pm Post #48 - January 15th, 2022, 3:06 pm
    NFriday wrote:I do not see many deals on fruit though.

    Generally speaking, this time of year in the Midwest, fruit requires longer, more specific transit than many vegetables. As we've all heard time and time again, those conduits are currently strained, backlogged and quite costly right now. My guess is that in places where the fruit grows, prices are cheap because it comes out of the ground (and then spoils) either way and with longer-range freight options scarce and costly, there's probably great incentive to sell as much as possible locally.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more