LTH Home

What to do with plain FAGE yogurt (whole milk)?

What to do with plain FAGE yogurt (whole milk)?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • What to do with plain FAGE yogurt (whole milk)?

Post #1 - December 18th, 2009, 7:19 pm
    Post #1 - December 18th, 2009, 7:19 pm Post #1 - December 18th, 2009, 7:19 pm
    I find that the FAGE yogurt made with whole milk is too rich. Any ideas on how to use it up? I might have to mix it with the nonfat yogurt to reduce the fat content.
    shorty
  • Post #2 - December 18th, 2009, 8:37 pm
    Post #2 - December 18th, 2009, 8:37 pm Post #2 - December 18th, 2009, 8:37 pm
    korma / quorma, chicken handi, raita, a fat medium for baking, tzatziki...

In our household, any plain whole yogurt is automatically converted to some form of Indian food, if seebee jr doesn't polish it off.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #3 - December 18th, 2009, 8:46 pm
    Post #3 - December 18th, 2009, 8:46 pm Post #3 - December 18th, 2009, 8:46 pm
    Thin it slightly with a few spoons of water, cut up tomatoes, cukes and onions and salt pepper and garlic and good to go. Mix it up. Voila a salad.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #4 - December 18th, 2009, 9:20 pm
    Post #4 - December 18th, 2009, 9:20 pm Post #4 - December 18th, 2009, 9:20 pm
    make frozen yogurt w/it if you have an ice cream machine.
  • Post #5 - December 19th, 2009, 8:00 am
    Post #5 - December 19th, 2009, 8:00 am Post #5 - December 19th, 2009, 8:00 am
    Tzatziki!... seeded and chopped or minced cucumber, garlic, salt, good olive oil and an herb... dill is nice, so too fresh oregano and, very much to my liking, mint... Eat the tzatziki with some fresh warm pita alongside some olives as a meze... or use it as a sauce with grilled (or fried or roasted) meats... The Fage yoghurt's thick and rich qualities make it, to my mind, ideal for this application -- it has the character to stand up to the other assertive flavours (garlic, herb) used in the dish.

Such yoghurt as Fage is also good with roasted meat plain -- just put a dollop on your plate beside the meat... well seasoned roasted lamb, a little yogurt and good bread... heavenly...

Antonius
    Last edited by Antonius on December 19th, 2009, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.
  • Post #6 - December 19th, 2009, 8:19 am
    Post #6 - December 19th, 2009, 8:19 am Post #6 - December 19th, 2009, 8:19 am
    I'm partial to this recipe:
    Pasta with ground beef and yoghurt

I don't bother with the topping. I mix it all together.
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #7 - December 20th, 2009, 9:48 am
    Post #7 - December 20th, 2009, 9:48 am Post #7 - December 20th, 2009, 9:48 am
    Food Nut wrote:I'm partial to this recipe:
    Pasta with ground beef and yoghurt

I don't bother with the topping. I mix it all together.

This looks interesting.
    shorty
  • Post #8 - January 22nd, 2022, 4:09 pm
    Post #8 - January 22nd, 2022, 4:09 pm Post #8 - January 22nd, 2022, 4:09 pm
    Fage has pulled what is, imo, a pretty slimy move. Without any outward indication on their packaging, they have very quietly reduced the net weight on their single serve whole fat yogurt from 7 ounces to 5.3 ounces. I happened to notice today (at Fresh Farms Wheeling) that the price has gone up, too, from $1.69 to 1.89 per container. I think it would be nice if when companies have to raises prices and/or rationalize their package sizes, they were a bit more up front about it. In this case, not only was there no indication, but the new, smaller pack is virtually identical to the former, larger one. While deception may not have been their intention, it does kind of feel like it was.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #9 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:11 pm
    Post #9 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:11 pm Post #9 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:11 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Fage has pulled what is, imo, a pretty slimy move. Without any outward indication on their packaging, they have very quietly reduced the net weight on their single serve whole fat yogurt from 7 ounces to 5.3 ounces.

5.3 oz seems to be the de facto standard for yogurt these days. I've given up on single serve, going for fresh fruit plus plain whole milk yogurt. Brown Cow is one of the better priced, and better tasting ones out there.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #10 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:39 pm
    Post #10 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:39 pm Post #10 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:39 pm
    Slimy? It happens all the time across the board.

There are books recipe writers refer to with standard sizes of various products. Those prices and quantities go up and down with the economy. Right now that information must be on a website, because it is so fluid.

I buy a plain yogurt cup from time to time, when I wish to make yogurt at home. So for me it is buying a starter, so I buy what I like and only one. I have to admit when I bought some Fage yogurt recently, I think it was $1.29 which struck me as high. I have been buying Fage, though I will try Brown Cow next time.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #11 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:59 pm
    Post #11 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:59 pm Post #11 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:59 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Slimy? It happens all the time across the board.

There are books recipe writers refer to with standard sizes of various products. Those prices and quantities go up and down with the economy. Right now that information must be on a website, because it is so fluid.

Yep but frequency doesn't preclude slimy. It's an incidious and deceptive practice. I did notice a while back that many 'half-gallons' of juice are now only 59 fluid ounces.

Cathy2 wrote:I bought some Fage yogurt recently, I think it was $1.29 which struck me as high. I have been buying Fage, though I will try Brown Cow next time.

That would have been a great price for the 7-ounce, which generally ranged from $1.49 (Whole Foods and Jewel) to $1.99 (Sunset, of course).

=R=
  • Post #12 - January 22nd, 2022, 6:14 pm
    Post #12 - January 22nd, 2022, 6:14 pm Post #12 - January 22nd, 2022, 6:14 pm
    My price was at Woodmans ...
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #13 - January 22nd, 2022, 7:18 pm
    Post #13 - January 22nd, 2022, 7:18 pm Post #13 - January 22nd, 2022, 7:18 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:My price was at Woodmans ...

I guess it was for the new, smaller size?

=R=
  • Post #14 - January 22nd, 2022, 9:49 pm
    Post #14 - January 22nd, 2022, 9:49 pm Post #14 - January 22nd, 2022, 9:49 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Yep but frequency doesn't preclude slimy. It's an incidious and deceptive practice. I did notice a while back that many 'half-gallons' of juice are now only 59 fluid ounces.

=R=

Those are now 52 oz. What is ironic is that all grocery stores still need to carry 64 oz bottles as that is one of the specifications for fresh orange juice under the WIC program.
    No kidding.
  • Post #15 - January 23rd, 2022, 12:15 am
    Post #15 - January 23rd, 2022, 12:15 am Post #15 - January 23rd, 2022, 12:15 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Yep but frequency doesn't preclude slimy. It's an incidious and deceptive practice. I did notice a while back that many 'half-gallons' of juice are now only 59 fluid ounces.

Those are now 52 oz. What is ironic is that all grocery stores still need to carry 64 oz bottles as that is one of the specifications for fresh orange juice under the WIC program.
    No kidding.

Yikes. I don't usually buy juice, so I had no idea. And that's absolutely wacky about the WIC program requirements.

=R=
  • Post #16 - January 23rd, 2022, 3:38 am
    Post #16 - January 23rd, 2022, 3:38 am Post #16 - January 23rd, 2022, 3:38 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    jlawrence01 wrote:

No kidding.

Yikes. I don't usually buy juice, so I had no idea. And that's absolutely wacky about the WIC program requirements.

=R=

That regulation really moves a lot of store brand orange juice as generally, that is the ONLY 64 oz container that is available. The WIC program is extremely specific in what the vouchers can be used for as it is primarily set up to promote childhood nutrition. If you see the vouchers, you will see a specific item that each voucher must be used for. And they do NOT allow substitutions.

I would not have known about the WIC regulations on orange juice had I not met the dairy manager at the local IGA store in a remote community in Southern Arizona. IGA had a Tropicana product advertised in their circular. The manager forgot to order the Tropicana for the sale ad as the popular name brands do not sell in his store as most of his customers are on WIC and other government programs.
  • Post #17 - January 26th, 2022, 6:23 am
    Post #17 - January 26th, 2022, 6:23 am Post #17 - January 26th, 2022, 6:23 am
    Whole Foods has their organic plain yogurt for $2.99 a quart all the time, and I personally like it better than Jewel's store brand yogurt which is the same price. Aldi's has the cheapest yogurt around, but I don't care for it as much.
  • Post #18 - January 27th, 2022, 12:04 am
    Post #18 - January 27th, 2022, 12:04 am Post #18 - January 27th, 2022, 12:04 am
    Re the original question of what to do with plain yogurt, I just heard the other day on RTÉ (Irish) radio about making soda bread with plain yogurt in place of buttermilk. Recipes are easy to find online.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #19 - January 27th, 2022, 1:57 am
    Post #19 - January 27th, 2022, 1:57 am Post #19 - January 27th, 2022, 1:57 am
    While I was at Jewel tonight, I looked to see if they had any small containers of brown cow yogurt, but I did not see any. I only saw the quart ones. I think it is hard to find small containers of plain yogurt to use as starter.

I make healthy pancakes from scratch such as pumpkin, and then when they are done, I lay some low far plain yogurt on the top of the pancake, and then I put some fruit on top of the yogurt.
  • Post #20 - January 27th, 2022, 3:59 pm
    Post #20 - January 27th, 2022, 3:59 pm Post #20 - January 27th, 2022, 3:59 pm
    NFriday wrote:While I was at Jewel tonight, I looked to see if they had any small containers of brown cow yogurt, but I did not see any. I only saw the quart ones. I think it is hard to find small containers of plain yogurt to use as starter.

Sorry, should have mentioned that. I started with the single-serve Brown Cow at Jewel, but they stopped carrying it -- I switched to buying just the plain quarts and both SueF and use it for everything... with less single-use packaging. Not as thick as a Greek-style, but close.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #21 - January 28th, 2022, 11:02 am
    Post #21 - January 28th, 2022, 11:02 am Post #21 - January 28th, 2022, 11:02 am
    JoelF wrote:
    NFriday wrote:While I was at Jewel tonight, I looked to see if they had any small containers of brown cow yogurt, but I did not see any. I only saw the quart ones. I think it is hard to find small containers of plain yogurt to use as starter.

Sorry, should have mentioned that. I started with the single-serve Brown Cow at Jewel, but they stopped carrying it -- I switched to buying just the plain quarts and both SueF and use it for everything... with less single-use packaging. Not as thick as a Greek-style, but close.

I'm sorry but Brown Cow is nothing like Fage and is inferior to Fage in just about every way, especially considering the price is about the same. It's runny, lacks Greek-style yogurt's signature tanginess, and the full fat verison contains nearly twice as many carbs as Fage's. It also leaves an odd, greasy residue on the roof of my mouth. This is a one and done for me. Yuck.

=R=
  • Post #22 - January 28th, 2022, 12:30 pm
    Post #22 - January 28th, 2022, 12:30 pm Post #22 - January 28th, 2022, 12:30 pm
    Does anyone here ever buy any yogurt at Aldi's? I see lots of people buying it every time I go there. I buy their plain yogurt occasionally when I am there because it is only $1.79, but that is my least favorite plain yogurt. I would much prefer spending the extra money and buy Whole Food's yogurt, or even Jewel's store brand yogurt when it is on sale.
  • Post #23 - January 31st, 2022, 10:43 am
    Post #23 - January 31st, 2022, 10:43 am Post #23 - January 31st, 2022, 10:43 am
    As an experiment, I got a tub of Bulgarian yogurt (Trimona) at Fresh Farms Touhy. Bulgarians take their yogurt seriously (Trimona's tagline is “Let the Greeks have their philosophers, leave the yogurt to us.”) and make many medical and historical claims of various degrees of believability. Anyway, stuff's good! Much more tart than Fage -- I imagine this is how yogurt used to taste way back when. It's obviously not as thick as Greek yogurt and I wouldn't try to cook with it, but it was perfect with granola this morning. I'd get it again.
  • Post #24 - January 31st, 2022, 2:50 pm
    Post #24 - January 31st, 2022, 2:50 pm Post #24 - January 31st, 2022, 2:50 pm
    NFriday wrote:Does anyone here ever buy any yogurt at Aldi's? I see lots of people buying it every time I go there. I buy their plain yogurt occasionally when I am there because it is only $1.79, but that is my least favorite plain yogurt. I would much prefer spending the extra money and buy Whole Food's yogurt, or even Jewel's store brand yogurt when it is on sale.

I buy the Friendly Farms non fat greek yogurt. It comes in various fruit flavors. Good stuff. My wife likes the plain greek yogurt with vanilla. Not my thing.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #25 - January 31st, 2022, 2:58 pm
    Post #25 - January 31st, 2022, 2:58 pm Post #25 - January 31st, 2022, 2:58 pm
    cilantro wrote:As an experiment, I got a tub of Bulgarian yogurt (Trimona) at Fresh Farms Touhy. Bulgarians take their yogurt seriously (Trimona's tagline is “Let the Greeks have their philosophers, leave the yogurt to us.”) and make many medical and historical claims of various degrees of believability. Anyway, stuff's good! Much more tart than Fage -- I imagine this is how yogurt used to taste way back when. It's obviously not as thick as Greek yogurt and I wouldn't try to cook with it, but it was perfect with granola this morning. I'd get it again.

Thanks for this. I appreciate the heads up. Will definitely try to grab some next time I'm at FF.

The package size reduction on the individual serving Fage yogurt is creating chaos in my life. My entire weekday morning routine was predicated on that serving size, that package size and how much other stuff I could fit into the container. Yes, I can buy a bigger tub and weigh out 200g into a separate container, etc. but when I'm at my office, adding all those extra steps is a massive PITA. Since I now have no choice but to make some changes to the routine, I'm considering all options.

=R=
  • Post #26 - February 1st, 2022, 8:01 am
    Post #26 - February 1st, 2022, 8:01 am Post #26 - February 1st, 2022, 8:01 am
    No love for Labneh?
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #27 - February 1st, 2022, 8:17 am
    Post #27 - February 1st, 2022, 8:17 am Post #27 - February 1st, 2022, 8:17 am
    But of course! As Paul Simon said, "There must be 50 ways to love your labneh."

The stuff I've bought (usually at Fresh Farms) is sometimes cheaper than yogurt, strange because it's more strained, it should be more expensive.

On an English Muffin as spread, Ted
    In salad dressing, Bing,
    In Indian curry, Murry
    Just listen to me
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #28 - February 1st, 2022, 9:33 am
    Post #28 - February 1st, 2022, 9:33 am Post #28 - February 1st, 2022, 9:33 am
    JoelF wrote:But of course! As Paul Simon said, "There must be 50 ways to love your labneh."

Nice!

Speaking of Fresh Farms, they often have, what appears to be, house or locally made full fat Greek Yogurt. Its in a plain looking deli container and simply has a Fresh Farms sticker with price, weight and product type. If I remember correctly, its more expensive than national products but worth the added expense.

Think I'll go to FF today, get some type of fruit, cook it down with a few warm spices, layer it on yogurt or labneh and top with dukkah or freshly toasted ground pistachios. Plus a drizzle of honey. In summer there is nothing better than same basic idea with halved grilled stone fruit.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #29 - February 1st, 2022, 11:38 am
    Post #29 - February 1st, 2022, 11:38 am Post #29 - February 1st, 2022, 11:38 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    JoelF wrote:But of course! As Paul Simon said, "There must be 50 ways to love your labneh."

Nice!

Speaking of Fresh Farms, they often have, what appears to be, house or locally made full fat Greek Yogurt. Its in a plain looking deli container and simply has a Fresh Farms sticker with price, weight and product type. If I remember correctly, its more expensive than national products but worth the added expense.

Think I'll go to FF today, get some type of fruit, cook it down with a few warm spices, layer it on yogurt or labneh and top with dukkah or freshly toasted ground pistachios. Plus a drizzle of honey. In summer there is nothing better than same basic idea with halved grilled stone fruit.

Sounds like the perfect dessert for you :)!!

https://apple.news/AntCjfBweRYOTg5RJcnLkLg
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more