LTH Home

What's with the price of...

What's with the price of...
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 9 of 20
  • Post #241 - September 30th, 2022, 11:15 pm
    Post #241 - September 30th, 2022, 11:15 pm Post #241 - September 30th, 2022, 11:15 pm
    I buy my olive oil at Trader Joe's, and before the pandemic started, you could buy it for $7.99. I just bought some last week, and it is now $9.99 for a 33.8 ounce bottle. I was at Jewel tonight, and I noticed olive oil has gotten more expensive there too.
    \
    While I was at Jewel tonight, I was going to buy a container of blue bonnet margarine, and I looked at the price, and a 15 ounce container of it was $3.19. The last time I bought it I paid $1.99, and this was two months ago. I ended up getting a container of Land of Lakes butter and canola oil, which was on sale for $3.99.

I noticed on CNN yesterday, that they were talking about things that are going to be more expensive because of the hurricane. One of the things mentioned was citrus. Jewel had mandarin oranges on sale for $1.99 tonight, but the oranges were from South Africa, and so I passed on them.
  • Post #242 - October 2nd, 2022, 4:37 pm
    Post #242 - October 2nd, 2022, 4:37 pm Post #242 - October 2nd, 2022, 4:37 pm
    Weird new (to me, at least) shortage just dropped... green onions. A very random survey of prices:

H Mart: $1.29/bunch (seems not too bad, but these were 4/$1 pre-pandemic and very often 3/$1 even in recent months)
    Fresh Farms: $1.99/bunch
    Whole Foods: Out
    Trader Joe's: Out

Online industry publications talk of supply problems all year, recently exacerbated by severe weather events; me, I think the scallion cartels are just flexing their muscles....
  • Post #243 - October 2nd, 2022, 5:19 pm
    Post #243 - October 2nd, 2022, 5:19 pm Post #243 - October 2nd, 2022, 5:19 pm
    cilantro wrote:Weird new (to me, at least) shortage just dropped... green onions. A very random survey of prices:

H Mart: $1.29/bunch (seems not too bad, but these were 4/$1 pre-pandemic and very often 3/$1 even in recent months)
    Fresh Farms: $1.99/bunch
    Whole Foods: Out
    Trader Joe's: Out

Online industry publications talk of supply problems all year, recently exacerbated by severe weather events; me, I think the scallion cartels are just flexing their muscles....

Re: H-Mart, that's what I paid for them there last Monday. As you say, price not too bad but the bunches were small and there was a limit of 3 per customer. I paid around .50/bunch for months, so these are some substantial increases.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #244 - October 2nd, 2022, 5:42 pm
    Post #244 - October 2nd, 2022, 5:42 pm Post #244 - October 2nd, 2022, 5:42 pm
    The last time I bought some green onions at Whole Foods maybe three weeks ago, they were $1.49 for organic, and $.99 for conventional. I ended up buying the conventional ones, but I forgot to tell the cashier that, and I got charged $1.49, As I got in my car, I noticed on my receipt that he over charged me. The store was closing, and so I did not go back in the store and go to customer service to get my $.50. Henry Brockman has had Asian green onions for $3.50 a bunch, but the green onions are huge, as in about three times the size of regular green onions. There used to be somebody that would come to the Evanston market that would sell regular sized green onions for 2/$1, but they are not there this year.

Green onions are easy to grow, but the bulbs are hard to find. I used to get them at Menard's, but they were out when I went there back in June. I finally ended up getting some at Chalet in Wilmette, after asking two different people where they were. They were outside. Once you stick the bulbs in the ground and cover them up, it only takes about four weeks before they are ready to pick. Just make sure that your soil is loose and not compacted. I add lots of compost to my soil when I plant them. The deeper you plant them, the more white portion you will get.

When I was in Jewel on Friday, all they had were organic green onions for $1.49 a bunch from California.
  • Post #245 - October 2nd, 2022, 9:20 pm
    Post #245 - October 2nd, 2022, 9:20 pm Post #245 - October 2nd, 2022, 9:20 pm
    HI,

I was a Shop and Save by Midway Airport yesterday.

Green onions were $1.98 a bunch. Cebollitas were 50 cents a bunch. If the bulbs are large, they are make three or four to a bunch. If they are small, then there may be as many as 6-8 per bunch. I bought four bunches, because my Dad eats one green onion per meal.

Every time you go to the store, there are just more surprises.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #246 - October 2nd, 2022, 11:44 pm
    Post #246 - October 2nd, 2022, 11:44 pm Post #246 - October 2nd, 2022, 11:44 pm
    I just looked on Mariano's website, and they have conventional green onions for $.99, and organic ones for $1.29. They have Mexican green onions for $.79. Valli has organic ones for $1.29. Does Aldi's carry green onions?
  • Post #247 - October 2nd, 2022, 11:54 pm
    Post #247 - October 2nd, 2022, 11:54 pm Post #247 - October 2nd, 2022, 11:54 pm
    Are green onions available at any of the farmers markets? I know both Henry Brockman and Nichols carry them, but they are huge, and they are a lot more expensive than supermarket green onions.
  • Post #248 - October 3rd, 2022, 4:01 am
    Post #248 - October 3rd, 2022, 4:01 am Post #248 - October 3rd, 2022, 4:01 am
    NFriday wrote:Does Aldi's carry green onions?

Yes. They are bagged, not bunches.

Long ago, Costco sold bagged green onions.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #249 - October 3rd, 2022, 5:41 am
    Post #249 - October 3rd, 2022, 5:41 am Post #249 - October 3rd, 2022, 5:41 am
    Green Onions are one of my few Aldi staples. They've been running 79c for a pkg -give or take. Just bought some yesterday for that price. I'd consider the volume of one pf their pkgs to easily be 2 -3 bunches worth from other stores.

Rumor:
    Dollar Tree will no longer be selling eggs soon because they are too expensive. I don't really shop DT, except to buy LA's Totally Awesome when it's grill cleaning time, or for greeting cards. Most of their food items are obviously downsized for the price, so they might truly not be worth it, other than having a cheaper shelf price.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #250 - October 3rd, 2022, 7:40 am
    Post #250 - October 3rd, 2022, 7:40 am Post #250 - October 3rd, 2022, 7:40 am
    seebee wrote:Green Onions are one of my few Aldi staples. They've been running 79c for a pkg -give or take. Just bought some yesterday for that price. I'd consider the volume of one pf their pkgs to easily be 2 -3 bunches worth from other stores.

Their green onions are usually located next to their bagged cilantro. Both are well-priced and stay fresh for several days in the unopened bag. I always grab one of each when I stop in the store.
  • Post #251 - October 3rd, 2022, 9:59 am
    Post #251 - October 3rd, 2022, 9:59 am Post #251 - October 3rd, 2022, 9:59 am
    Cathy2 wrote:HI,

I was a Shop and Save by Midway Airport yesterday.

Green onions were $1.98 a bunch. Cebollitas were 50 cents a bunch. If the bulbs are large, they are make three or four to a bunch. If they are small, then there may be as many as 6-8 per bunch. I bought four bunches, because my Dad eats one green onion per meal.

Every time you go to the store, there are just more surprises.

Regards,
    Cathy2

I really like bulb onions and yes, they can sometimes be cheaper than scallions (on a per pound basis) but their greens are often tough and fibrous, so they usually need to be cooked. With scallions, otoh, other than the very ends, the greens are tender and can be used for garnish, etc. Scallions also have a milder flavor, which I prefer when using them raw.

=R=
  • Post #252 - October 3rd, 2022, 10:03 am
    Post #252 - October 3rd, 2022, 10:03 am Post #252 - October 3rd, 2022, 10:03 am
    Dad is not as fond of the green part. Update at lunch, it might not be his favorite though it is eaten any. If I use the green bits for other cooking needs, it is not a problem.

If you slice the cebollitas greens fine enough, it does not matter.

I am not paying $1.98 for green onions.

At least at Shop and Save, they seem to alternate which is cheaper. If almost the same, I buy cebollitas for Dad and green onions for me.
    Cathy2

• Post #253 - October 3rd, 2022, 1:12 pm
    Post #253 - October 3rd, 2022, 1:12 pm Post #253 - October 3rd, 2022, 1:12 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Dad is not as fond of the green part. Update at lunch, it might not be his favorite though it is eaten any. If I use the green bits for other cooking needs, it is not a problem.

If you slice the cebollitas greens fine enough, it does not matter.

I am not paying $1.98 for green onions.

At least at Shop and Save, they seem to alternate which is cheaper. If almost the same, I buy cebollitas for Dad and green onions for me.

We can agree to disagree about the universal palatability of the raw bulb onion greens. Slicing them thin isn't always enough but I have no idea what affects this attribute (variety, seasonality, age of the plant when it's harvested). Sometimes, they're just leathery.

Relatedly, the box where scallions normally reside at Richwell in Morton Grove was filled with bulb onions today. The greens on these felt very tender but I wasn't buying today (was there for other items). Also, WF Deerfield was out of stock on scallions today.

=R=
  • Post #254 - October 3rd, 2022, 1:55 pm
    Post #254 - October 3rd, 2022, 1:55 pm Post #254 - October 3rd, 2022, 1:55 pm
    I mostly use green onions when I make salsa, but tomato season for me is almost over. I am also going to use some green onions in a tabbouleh salad, and a buttermilk zucchini soup. I like to use green onions in stir fries, but I don't have to use them. I have another bag of onion sets that I never got around to planting in my garden. I am going to try to plant them this week, and see if they come up next Spring. I had some come up a few years ago in April.

I might hit Aldi's this week to get some bread and green onions.
  • Post #255 - October 3rd, 2022, 10:34 pm
    Post #255 - October 3rd, 2022, 10:34 pm Post #255 - October 3rd, 2022, 10:34 pm
    NFriday wrote:I buy my olive oil at Trader Joe's, and before the pandemic started, you could buy it for $7.99. I just bought some last week, and it is now $9.99 for a 33.8 ounce bottle. I was at Jewel tonight, and I noticed olive oil has gotten more expensive ... Jewel had mandarin oranges on sale for $1.99 tonight, but the oranges were from South Africa, and so I passed on them.

Yeah, the omnipresent Lefas kalamata oil in 3L cans has gone up a couple dollars. Everything European has gone up this year, though.

Were those mandarins really from South Africa? I got some of the Chilean ones at Jewel and they were very good. I suppose I'm taking my chances with unknown chemicals. On the other hand, buying California citrus is contributing to California water problems...Anyhoo, I'd like to try some South African oranges if that's what they were.
  • Post #256 - October 3rd, 2022, 10:46 pm
    Post #256 - October 3rd, 2022, 10:46 pm Post #256 - October 3rd, 2022, 10:46 pm
    Yes the oranges were from South Africa. I still have some homegrown peaches, blueberries, apples, and organic pears I got at the farmer's market. Peaches will probably be over by this Saturday, but I will be able to get some cider, pears, grapes, apples and raspberries this Saturday. The farmers in Michigan are forced to go to the farmers markets because most of the chains do not want to deal with them, and they had 100% of a peach and apple crop this year. My sister still has upick apples for a few more weeks. The organic pears I got were seconds, and so I got two quarts for $5. Same for the peaches.
  • Post #257 - October 3rd, 2022, 11:09 pm
    Post #257 - October 3rd, 2022, 11:09 pm Post #257 - October 3rd, 2022, 11:09 pm
    I just looked at Jewels upcoming ad, and they don't have any oranges on sale. They have grapes for $.99 a pound, and they have salmon for $5.99 a pound, but it is Atlantic salmon, and I am not sure how good it is.
  • Post #258 - October 3rd, 2022, 11:45 pm
    Post #258 - October 3rd, 2022, 11:45 pm Post #258 - October 3rd, 2022, 11:45 pm
    NFriday wrote:I just looked at Jewels upcoming ad, and they don't have any oranges on sale. They have grapes for $.99 a pound, and they have salmon for $5.99 a pound, but it is Atlantic salmon, and I am not sure how good it is.

Pacific salmon & steelhead 100%.
  • Post #259 - October 5th, 2022, 6:59 am
    Post #259 - October 5th, 2022, 6:59 am Post #259 - October 5th, 2022, 6:59 am
    Yesterday at Jewel, green onions were 99 cents.

Just clipped a Jewel coupon for green onions for 88 cents with an unlimited use.

Yesterday at Highland Park's Jewel, the vegetable department had a number of empty bins. The manager advised the vegetables intended for this store were delivered to another store. I obtained raincheck for the mandarins.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #260 - October 5th, 2022, 9:35 am
    Post #260 - October 5th, 2022, 9:35 am Post #260 - October 5th, 2022, 9:35 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Yesterday at Jewel, green onions were 99 cents.

Just clipped a Jewel coupon for green onions for 88 cents with an unlimited use.

Yesterday at Highland Park's Jewel, the vegetable department had a number of empty bins. The manager advised the vegetables intended for this store were delivered to another store. I obtained raincheck for the mandarins.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Good news on the scallion front. My better half was at the HP Jewel yesterday but since they weren't on my list, she didn't look for them.

=R=
  • Post #261 - October 5th, 2022, 8:01 pm
    Post #261 - October 5th, 2022, 8:01 pm Post #261 - October 5th, 2022, 8:01 pm
    I was at the downtown Evanston Whole Foods store today, and I picked up a bunch of conventional green onions for $.99. They were out of organic ones. I made sure that the cashier knew that they were the conventional green onions. Last time I got charged $1.49 because the cashier thought they were the organic ones. I also got a package of Amylu Michigan cherry chicken sausages as well as a package of Amylu chicken burgers which were both on sale for $3.99, or $3.59 for Prime members.
  • Post #262 - October 7th, 2022, 10:27 pm
    Post #262 - October 7th, 2022, 10:27 pm Post #262 - October 7th, 2022, 10:27 pm
    I was at both Whole Foods and Jewel tonight, and they both had lots of green onions. Whole Foods had conventional green onions for $.99 and organic for $1.49. Jewel had conventional for $.99 and organic for $1.29.
  • Post #263 - October 8th, 2022, 3:41 pm
    Post #263 - October 8th, 2022, 3:41 pm Post #263 - October 8th, 2022, 3:41 pm
    When I buy green onions from a local store, when I go to use them, I cut 1" of the bottom off and immediately plant them that day whether it be out in my garden or in one of my inside pots. In general, they grow back in 2-3 weeks if properly watered.
  • Post #264 - October 11th, 2022, 1:11 pm
    Post #264 - October 11th, 2022, 1:11 pm Post #264 - October 11th, 2022, 1:11 pm
    I was watching CNN this morning, and the rail strike is still a possibility. The union still is unhappy with the overtime they are required to do. They are happy with the raise. Apparently the deal was voted down by the members, and they are back to the negotiation table.
  • Post #265 - October 11th, 2022, 1:53 pm
    Post #265 - October 11th, 2022, 1:53 pm Post #265 - October 11th, 2022, 1:53 pm
    NFriday wrote:I mostly use green onions when I make salsa, but tomato season for me is almost over. I am also going to use some green onions in a tabbouleh salad, and a buttermilk zucchini soup. I like to use green onions in stir fries, but I don't have to use them. I have another bag of onion sets that I never got around to planting in my garden. I am going to try to plant them this week, and see if they come up next Spring. I had some come up a few years ago in April.

I might hit Aldi's this week to get some bread and green onions.

$.85 for a package of scallions this morning at Aldi. I guess the Scallion Cartel got the word.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #266 - October 12th, 2022, 2:59 pm
    Post #266 - October 12th, 2022, 2:59 pm Post #266 - October 12th, 2022, 2:59 pm
    Not food, but something you might buy at the grocery store ...

Chatting with a friend about a family event, which warranted a greeting card purchase. I was asked to guess the price, I threw out $5. The astonishing response was $14!

It was for an engagement, so it was really special. Otherwise this person reported buying birthday and bereavement cards at the dollar store.

This is weeks later and I am still surprised at the price.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #267 - October 12th, 2022, 3:45 pm
    Post #267 - October 12th, 2022, 3:45 pm Post #267 - October 12th, 2022, 3:45 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Not food, but something you might buy at the grocery store ...

Chatting with a friend about a family event, which warranted a greeting card purchase. I was asked to guess the price, I threw out $5. The astonishing response was $14!

It was for an engagement, so it was really special. Otherwise this person reported buying birthday and bereavement cards at the dollar store.

Regards,
    CAthy2

There's always a nice and small collection of cards at Trader Joe's for a buck. Hanging on the wall to the right as you enter the store.
  • Post #268 - October 12th, 2022, 5:22 pm
    Post #268 - October 12th, 2022, 5:22 pm Post #268 - October 12th, 2022, 5:22 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:It was for an engagement, so it was really special. Otherwise this person reported buying birthday and bereavement cards at the dollar store.

Regards,
    CAthy2

Most greeting cards sold by the majors to retailers give the retailers a "right to return" unsold cards at the end of the season. Most of the leftover cards and related merchandise is loaded into 53 ft trailers and shipped to Cuidad Juarez, MX where they are sorted, reworked, and resold. A lot of the reworked cards are sold to dollar stores or sold through Amazon or Ebay in large lots. There is nothing wrong with the merchandise.
  • Post #269 - October 13th, 2022, 3:39 pm
    Post #269 - October 13th, 2022, 3:39 pm Post #269 - October 13th, 2022, 3:39 pm
    Orange juice prices may hit all-time highs as USDA sees worst orange crop since 1943.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consum ... -rcna51942
  • Post #270 - October 13th, 2022, 4:02 pm
    Post #270 - October 13th, 2022, 4:02 pm Post #270 - October 13th, 2022, 4:02 pm
    I bet you oranges are going to be super expensive too this winter. It almost makes me sorry that I did not freeze any local fruit such as blueberries, peaches and strawberries this summer. At least there will be lots of apples this winter I think. Bananas are already expensive.

My dentist is always on my case about drinking orange juice anyway, because it is bad on your enamel, unless you drink the low acid juice, and so I don't drink a lot of orange juice for that reason. It is already too expensive as it is.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more