LTH Home

The Weekly Flyer

The Weekly Flyer
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 9
  • Post #211 - October 12th, 2023, 12:37 am
    Post #211 - October 12th, 2023, 12:37 am Post #211 - October 12th, 2023, 12:37 am
    Highlights from Montrose: Podlaski cheese $3.99/lb, loin pork chops $1.99/lb, bone-in loin roasts $1.69 (bought one today, very nicely trimmed good looking pork.) Morski cheese was $3.99/lb last week, a promising trend for Polskie sery. I don't know that the printed flyer is actually delivered anywhere, but it's easy to find online: montrosedeli.com
  • Post #212 - October 18th, 2023, 9:00 am
    Post #212 - October 18th, 2023, 9:00 am Post #212 - October 18th, 2023, 9:00 am
    A highlight from Butera, plus an annoying trend (maybe): $1.99 pork tenderloin (it's the good stuff with no solution), and $2.19 96oz "gallons" of Dutch Farms whole milk. These are clear PET bottles. I bought a couple a while back from the markdown bin @ $1.29. Without a handle they're deucedly hard to handle.

And if you'd rather have your tenderloin smoked for you, Montrose has smoked tenderloin for $2.99 along with yet another promising Polski ser special: Krowlewski for $4.99 and muenster (sorry, WI or IL rather than Polish) for $2.99.

If you are anywhere in the far west by northwest suburbs this Saturday, the Roselle Montrose has its grand opening with samples including a Highlander Hut, free stuff and 15% off.
  • Post #213 - October 18th, 2023, 4:57 pm
    Post #213 - October 18th, 2023, 4:57 pm Post #213 - October 18th, 2023, 4:57 pm
    Week #77: Seventy-seven bacon strips [snap, snap].

The outer sheath: E (A), G, F, T (G).
    Want to talk about getting desperate? The increasingly irrelevant and financially risky paper checks are doubling-up on the sheath. I sincerely hope you have already made your last-ever purchase of paper checks. May they outlive you. :!:

• Tony's Fresh Market (12 stores)
    • Jewel-Osco
    • Cermak Fresh Market #18 & #16
    • Cermak Produce #2
    • Centŕo Fresh Market
    • Vericast coupon flyer
    • Menards
    The Vericast insert has its usual array of health & beauty coupons, but on its front page are coupons for eggs. You're already upset at the price of eggs: But this corporation is trying to guilt-trip you into paying even more for its “better” eggs. I would bet neither you nor a haute cuisine chef could taste a difference between them and [e.g.] the ones offered for $1.77 [18 count] this week at Tony's Fresh Market. I will further remark within 15 months, their “better” chickens will contract virulent Newcastle Disease [vND].

I will begin with Food 4 Less | Mariano's. The 24-pack of 12-oz. cans of Pepsi-Cola products for $7.99 (digital-limit 5) is a good deal.
    Your choices are Pepsi (doh), Wild Cherry Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew original, Starry, and Crush Orange.
    B1G1F [$2.29] for Kroger peanut butter 16-oz. jars seems good. Entenmann's donuts (snack cakes | little bites) for $3.00 is fine. [However, Butera is offering this for $2.99.] {Ohmigawd - What is not good is trying to get $3.99 for store brand soda 12-packs and $1.33 for Michelina's frozen entrees (Jewel-Osco had them for 99¢ a couple of weeks ago.).}

At Jewel-Osco, depending on the regular price for Chunky Soup (at Tony's the regular price is $2.99), the closer it descends to $2.09 is better for B2G2F. Bumble Bee tuna 5-oz. cans for 99¢ (digital- limit 10) is solid. Do not buy the Entenmann's donuts here. ($3.99?!) And I issue a razz to Randy T. :P, the liquor manager at 800 W. North Ave. in Melrose Park. I had already purchased a 12-pack of Leinenkugel's Octoberfest beer at Binny's (and for less than the price at Jewel); but it was not even on the floor at his Jewel. (Recall I shopped for 12-pack soda here as well.)

At Tony's Fresh Market, I mentioned the 18-pack of Grade A large eggs above. (When I shop, I save 100% on eggs.) It is mostly me informing you what not to buy here. Do not buy the Stouffers frozen entrees (I paid $2.00 each for them in July.) or the Clyde's donuts 12-pack [Why does the ad art show you 18 | 19 donuts?]. For the Jimmy Dean's breakfast sandwiches, you want the 12-pack. This is apparently the week for Miller High Life 12-packs to not be on sale, unless you want to buy a 30-pack of 12-oz. cans ($11.99 - digital). The Scott Pete polish sausage (pork + beef) 20-oz. package is $5.00; the beef polish sausage is $6.99.

Therefore, I do not see anything worth shopping for me this week. I'll conclude with this little tidbit. Sometime in the last few weeks, my AT&T 1GB fiber broadband service [25 months since installation] changed the I. P. Address. [Yes, it has been a while since an AT&T advert appeared in the weekly flyer.]
    When you logon via v.92, your I. P. address changes every time. When I connected in this way, at one point in time, I could contact five different networks which would issue me a dissimilar I. P. address (It would begin with 208, 12, 64, etc.). But when you have broadband internet, it generally does not change. You can check yours by hitting any of the Proxy judges or Environment checkers on my regular bookmark page. My connection went from [76.242.#.#] to [99.190.#.#]. I feel it is more secure for you if your I. P. Address changes frequently, because you are then not a stationary target for online miscreants.

This is what was delivered this week to 60641.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #214 - October 25th, 2023, 4:12 pm
    Post #214 - October 25th, 2023, 4:12 pm Post #214 - October 25th, 2023, 4:12 pm
    Week #78: I calculate your interest.

The outer sheath: A, D, G, Y (G).
    This has moved beyond desperate. They can now envision their death. A full-fledged panic of the purveyors of irrelevant and financially risky paper checks are doubling-up on the sheath for the second week in succession.

• Tony's Fresh Market (12 stores)
    • Jewel-Osco
    • Cermak Produce #2
    • Centŕo Fresh Market
    • Vericast coupon flyer
    • Culver's (6 coupons valid through 18 Dec. 2023)
    • Checkers | Rally's (20 coupons valid through 30 Nov. 2023)
    • Wendy's (16 coupons valid through 26 Nov. 2023)
    • AT&T Internet & wireless telephone bundle
    • Menards
    The Vericast insert has its usual array of health & beauty coupons, but on page 2 is a coupon for Lindt's chocolates (valid through 30 Nov.). It also has the Family Dollar flyer {more beneath}.
    This is the week of coupons, people. My flyer has three coupons I mention, and one for the pizza joint I will not (and discourage you from buying).
    But you probably did not get the Checkers sheet, as all of its shops are in southern Chicago or the south suburbs. Except for the one near Cook Bros. and Walmart on Grand Ave. {The Walmart, not the Checkers.}

I will begin with Food 4 Less | Mariano's. If you're willing to try its store brand of 12-oz. cans of soda, you can get four 12-packs for $2.99 each. Else, you can buy five 12-packs of Coca-Cola, Pepsi, and Keurig Dr Pepper brands [e.g.: Squirt] 12-oz. cans for $3.99 (digital) each. Jewel-Osco has a digital price of $3.99 for Pepsi and Dr Pepper brands [not Coca-Cola] when you buy three. It has been a long time since I bought butter, but $2.49 (digital) for 16-oz. seems like a good deal (Tony's is asking $3.49 for its store brand butter.). For 20-oz. sausage, $4.99 is probably a good price for its pork variety, and definitely a solid value for its beef variety. (But the latter is unlikely to be included in this offer.)
    Do not buy the 16-oz. Bar S meat franks or bologna here.
    If it's regular meat franks you seek, Butera has Eckrich 12-oz. for 99¢ (limit 2).

If you would like to try your hand at making a Chicago-style hot dog, you can buy a 12-oz. pack of Vienna Beef franks at Tony's Fresh Market for $3.99 (digital - limit 2). The same item is being offered at Jewel-Osco for $5.99 {looks aside at the virtual 2x4}.
    This is not to utter you should not shop at Jewel this week. I mentioned the combined digital offer on soda above. That is a solid value on Chex Mix snacks 7½-8¾-oz. bags 99¢ (digital - must buy 3, limit 3). I hope the Jewel store you visit has the comprehensive selection of Chex Mix; it includes ones with chocolate.

I return to Family Dollar. Family Dollar's sale dates are Sunday - Saturday. Perhaps you signed up for its e-mail notices. Otherwise, you run a risk of the items you want to buy there being out of stock by Wednesday. But in contrast, if you postpone shopping until Saturday, there is a digital coupon for $5.00 off a $25.00 purchase. Which you could hit by buying 20 cans of 9 Lives 5½-oz. cat food cans (60¢ each), and two 8-roll packs of Scott 1000 bathroom tissue ($7.50 each - digital), and throw-in five six-packs of Lance sandwich crackers | cookies ($5.00), and Little Debbie snacks for $2.50 each.

I may avail myself of some of these offers this week. It depends on whether I want to haul the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint out of the garage {which I really should; it has been a while since I cranked the engine}.

Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #215 - October 29th, 2023, 9:19 pm
    Post #215 - October 29th, 2023, 9:19 pm Post #215 - October 29th, 2023, 9:19 pm
    I perceive people here on LTHF want to know how my Saturday shopping trip went. Even if it is mainly to learn if the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint faltered in any way.
    Before I ensue, I inform you since November is TV Sweeps Month, my report will be a multiple-part mini-series. :lol:
    To maintain the continuity of each venue visited, each grocery store hit will be posted in its own thread. Thus, this part of the jaunt will be in the Weekly Flyer topic.
    Subsequent posts about Food4Less, Tony's Fresh Market, and Jewel-Osco will be in those threads.

Let's start. Here's something I conject you want to learn: Did the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint start?
    It started. It took a long, long crank, but it started. I pulled the Sprint out into the alley and inspected the vehicle. There was a problem. The right front tire was severely underinflated. If you had this snag, you would likely contact your roadside provider to change that tire. But since you have a "new" car, it only has that microscopic "space saver" spare tire, which you should not drive very far or very fast. As you are in a medium-to-upper-class suburb, you would soon arrive at a tire dealer, where you would have to pay a significant sum for a replacement tire. You would be in no position to negotiate the price. Further, since the weekend is when everybody else in the suburbs is having their auto inspected, your entire daylight hours are going to be spent. :cry:
    But since I live in Chicago 60641, there is a tire shop three blocks away which was open and had no awaiting customers on early Saturday afternoon. The 1987 Sprint has a full-service P145/80R-12 spare tire in its rear hatch. The bad tire was removed, and the replacement was mounted. This took fifteen minutes and cost ten dollars (cash).
    If you clicked on my added link in a previous post in to view the route I was intending to motor, this did change a medium chunk of that. The route became south on Cicero to Fullerton, and west on Fullerton to Austin, then south to North Ave.
    It is always laudatory to eat something before grocery shopping. The food shack selected was Johnnie's Beef in Elmwood Park. There was a line out the door here. An italian beef juicy with hot peppers was $7.93 (cash). This was fine.

From here, I headed to Food4Less in Melrose Park. Read about that proceeding here.
  • Post #216 - October 31st, 2023, 11:45 am
    Post #216 - October 31st, 2023, 11:45 am Post #216 - October 31st, 2023, 11:45 am
    HI,

In my other life, I had flat tires several times a month. In my prime, I could change a tire in less than 10 minutes. Drop the tire off for repairs, go about my business and come back. Fee was less than 5 roubles, but that is just a guess.

I think it is a basic skill everyone should have.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #217 - November 2nd, 2023, 12:08 am
    Post #217 - November 2nd, 2023, 12:08 am Post #217 - November 2nd, 2023, 12:08 am
    Week #79: New York, London, Paris, Munich: Everybody talk about Pop Muzic.

The outer sheath: Z(A), D, S, F(G).
    Panic, panic

• Tony's Fresh Market (8 stores)
    • Jewel-Osco
    • Cermak Produce #2
    • Centŕo Fresh Market
    • Wayfair
    • Menards

This is another week of coupons. Here they are, with expiration dates:
    • Burger King (31 Dec. 2023*)
    • Popeye's (25 Feb. 2024)
    • KFC - big sheet (22 Jan. 2024)
    • Subway (26 Nov. 2023)
    * = Remember, BK coupons never expire.

I have BK coupons saved ever since reading that Reddit thread stating employees do not check the expiration date on a coupon. (The cashier types in the coupon code number. Supposedly, there is still a code in its Point-Of-Sale system which would give you a $1.00 Whopper®, even without using its app or being a Royal Perks® member.) My coupons go back to July 2022. In this span, the price of the Whopper® meal (+ 1 large fries & 1 fountain drink) has constantly been $6.99 :!:(code 9092). Other coupons have increased prices or reduced the serving size, but not that. The Whopper® meal for two has gone from $10.99 to $13.49 (code 1676).
    Here are the price increases:
    • Family bundle [3 Whoppers, 3 cheeseburgers, 3 medium fries] 16.99 to $17.49
    • Whopper® meal for two [2 Whoppers, 2 large fries, 2 large fountain drinks] 12.99 to $13.49
    • Two bacon cheeseburger meal [2 bacon cheeseburgers, 1 medium fries, 1 medium fountain drink] 5.99 to $6.49
    • Double cheeseburger meal [2 double cheeseburgers, 1 medium fries, 1 medium fountain drink] 4.99 to $5.49
    • Eight piece chicken fries {were off coupon sheets for a while} + 1 large fries $3.99 (Used to be nine piece.)
    Other coupon prices on this 20-count, glossy sheet have not increased this time. But coupons dating from July 2022 on show lower prices for the BK® Royal crispy chicken meal, 2 Original chicken sandwiches, 8 piece chicken nuggets + 1 large fries, 2 Whopper® Jr. sandwiches + 2 medium fries, and the two croissan'wich meal; as well as the chicken nuggets order size decreasing from 9 to 8.

Aldi's advert mentions all three of its Advent calendars - Wine, Cheese, and Beer. The Beer calendar, with all the beers brewed at Octopi Brwg. in Waunakee, WI. is $49.99 ~ $12.50 per six-pack. Perhaps I should pull the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint out of the garage once more before leaving the country (but I need change of a dollar). That is a good price for the Neufchatel cheese ($1.19). You would have to inform me whether that is a good price for a vacuum food sealer (or is it locking you in to use its sealer refills?). :?:
    The Tony's Fresh Market advert scales back the stores to eight. They span a wide geographic area, with the store @ 5630 W. Belmont being the one inside Chicago. Others range from Waukegan to Joliet. It offers Michelina's frozen entrees for 99¢ (must buy 5), the 12.4-oz. box of Cheez-It crackers for $2.49 (in a group of at least 5). The Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches 8-pack for $8.99 is a solid deal. The Chunky Soup's regular price is $2.99, so the B1G1F reduces it to $1.50 - but Butera is purveying it for 99¢ (limit 3).

This is not the week to buy soda. Food 4 Less has dropped the price of its store brand soda 12-oz. 12-packs back down to $2.99 (must buy 4), but that's still not a good price. If you clipped the Lindt's chocolate coupon from the Vericast booklet last week, it offers a qualifying item 8½-oz. for $7.49. Perhaps you have already been savvy enough to scarf remaindered Halloween candy at whatever-percentage-off somewhere.

Jewel-Osco's advert is displaying a substantial number of forU digital coupons. There are the Little Debbie snack cakes for $2.49; check your receipt to see if it charges you more than that [i.e.: last week @ Tony's]. On initial inspection, I thought otherwise, but that is the price I paid for the Hot Pockets 12-pack ($12.99). But that is not the instance with neither the White Castle 16-pack nor the Nathan's 12-oz beef franks. I will probably buy the Boston Market frozen entrees @ $2.00 each. How many can I obtain here? The coupon says 'must buy 2 - limit 4' but also 'click to redeem up to 4 items in a single transaction'. Is the limit four items or four coupons times two? Why doesn't it state "$2.00 each, must buy two, limit four"?! If I go here, I will buy one 8-oz. bag of Utz potato chips or Tortiyahs ($1.99), and the 3-pack of Affy-Tapple (w|o nuts) for 99¢ mostly to discern if they are as lousy as other posters here on LTHF have uttered.

If you wonder why I am being unspecific; it is because on Friday night, I have an ImBIBE ticket for the Festival of Barrel-Aged Beers @ the UIC Pavilion. There have been years when I came apart returning from the fest, yet arrived back at the abode safely (but not timely). As such, I try to take the Saturday very slowly. I will watch the livestream of the FoBAB award ceremony on Saturday afternoon. After its conclusion would be when I decide to hit Tony's or Jewel. I will not be visiting any licensed venues on Saturday night.

Finally, I inform you that next week, my presentation of the Weekly Flyer will be pre-empted for a Sweeps Month event:

Pudgy goes to Japan again.

The flyer will probably be delivered here, and my cat sitter will bring it in, but -no- I'm not looking up Flipp from Yokohama to tell you what Food 4 Less et alia have.
  • Post #218 - November 22nd, 2023, 3:51 pm
    Post #218 - November 22nd, 2023, 3:51 pm Post #218 - November 22nd, 2023, 3:51 pm
    Week #82: Savings for frozen turkeys.

The outer sheath: A, 0, G, F.
    0 = An automobile-orbiting World-Wide Web site.

• Tony's Fresh Market (ALL [21] stores)
    • Jewel-Osco
    • Verizon
    • Cricket
    • Home Depot
    • Menards

This is another week of coupons. Here they are, with expiration dates:
    • Burger King (28 Jan. 2024*)
    • Checkers | Rally's (7 Jan. 2024)
    * = BK coupons never expire.

Both Cricket and Verizon want to sell you an iPhone 15. Verizon will not inform you how much service will cost. Verizon's "Take control" actually means "Relinquish management".
    Cricket's is a lease which declares "Ownership by rental/lease agreement with Progressive Leasing costs more than the retailer's cash price.." It is unavailable in Wisconsin and Minnesota. It is reserving its better offers for Motorola phones.

I should mention that Food 4 Less' sale continues Wednesday & Thursday. So you still have time to buy five (or ten) 12-packs of 12-oz. soda for $3.59 each, which is as low as it is ever going to get.

Only two grocery store flyers this week. Sales do not ensue until Friday.

I did not get to Jewel-Osco's three weeks ago. {I can no longer attend FoBAB.} :cry:
    Its 'black Friday' advert is displaying a substantial number of forU digital coupons. I bought the Signature AA batteries last year for $5.00, and it did not require a digital coupon then.

At Tony's Fresh Market, the fresh baked bolillo rolls for 50¢ sounds solid. The 99¢ Barilla pasta 16-oz. box seems to be as well; but I am not the one to certify that. I still have boxes and bags of pasta from 2008 sitting in cabinets here. {I have been ingrained you do not throw away food.}
    If you are even thinking about buying 12-packs of 12-oz. soda for $5.99, consider yourself already hit over the head with the virtual 2-by-4.

Home Depot has finally noticed that Menards is advertising here every week.

• Post #219 - November 22nd, 2023, 7:22 pm
    Post #219 - November 22nd, 2023, 7:22 pm Post #219 - November 22nd, 2023, 7:22 pm
    My weekly flyer is now Jewel and Sunset.

Until two weeks ago, we had Lewis Market from Waukegan. Months ago Mariano's stopped adding their insert. More than a year ago, Heinen's stopped including their insert to the 60035 distribution.

Every once in a while, I get the Woodman's insert. I don't find their sales worth following, though I do like the store and roam around.

It happens I check weekly online with Jewel, Mariano's, Lewis Market, Shop and Save, and Park Packing.

What I have not gravitated to is ordering groceries for pick-up or delivery. I never liked the substitutions or mis-interpretations made by the shopping services. My favorite was finding an order of green beans to be a single bean.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #220 - November 23rd, 2023, 10:27 pm
    Post #220 - November 23rd, 2023, 10:27 pm Post #220 - November 23rd, 2023, 10:27 pm
    Woodman's insert occasionally has a $5 off $50 coupon. Cathy, do you have a newspaper subscription? We do and get the flyers on Wednesday with the Tribune. For a few weeks our subscription was bunged up and we got the flyers in the mail on Tuesday. That delivery included more flyers, including Heinens, Marianos, Farm & Fleet, Woodman's, etc which we don't normally get. Wednesday's flyers are usually Jewel, Lewis, Ace and sometimes Butera, sometimes the Pig (but never both) and once in a while Aldi.
  • Post #221 - November 24th, 2023, 6:44 am
    Post #221 - November 24th, 2023, 6:44 am Post #221 - November 24th, 2023, 6:44 am
    Cathy2 wrote:My weekly flyer is now Jewel and Sunset.

Until two weeks ago, we had Lewis Market from Waukegan. Months ago Mariano's stopped adding their insert. More than a year ago, Heinen's stopped including their insert to the 60035 distribution.

Every once in a while, I get the Woodman's insert. I don't find their sales worth following, though I do like the store and roam around.

It happens I check weekly online with Jewel, Mariano's, Lewis Market, Shop and Save, and Park Packing.

What I have not gravitated to is ordering groceries for pick-up or delivery. I never liked the substitutions or mis-interpretations made by the shopping services. My favorite was finding an order of green beans to be a single bean.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Interesting - Cathy and I live in the same city. I get the Mariano's insert every week. Aldi & Lewis inserts are hit and miss.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #222 - November 29th, 2023, 6:15 pm
    Post #222 - November 29th, 2023, 6:15 pm Post #222 - November 29th, 2023, 6:15 pm
    Week #83: Are you interested?

No, not like that: But do you receive this where you reside? Would you like to? I believe I have never mentioned here how to get on the distribution list for the Weekly Flyer.
    You call 1800-874-2863.
    When you do; it will try to get you to subscribe to the Chicago Tribune, even if "only" for Sundays. Do not do this. The rag no longer speaks for Chicago. It speaks for the Alden Global Capital outfit. Insist you want the Inside Shopper weekly flyer, and only that.

The outer sheath: F(A), S, J, E(G).
    (More panicking from the paper checks people.)
    Note there are 8 White Castle coupons on page 3 - not page 2.

• Tony's Fresh Market (15 stores)
    • Jewel-Osco
    • Jewel-Osco Latinx glossy sheet (valid thru 30 Jan. 2024)
    • Carnicerias Jimenez
    • Centŕo Fresh Market
    • Cermak Produce #2
    • Kentucky Fried Chicken (Pocket-sized booklet with 16 coupons valid thru 4 Feb. 2024)
    • Subway (14 coupons valid thru 31 Dec. 2023)
    • Toro Asian Buffet (10 coupons valid thru 30 June 2024)
    • Menards [2 adverts]

There is a slight paradigm shift this week. I typically glance at the adverts for stores targeting Latinx persons; such as Cermak markets and Centŕo, but do not mention them because their prices are higher than the larger stores angling towards everyone. But this week, a flyer for Carnicerias Jimenez appeared in the bundle. For myself, the closest outlet is 5330 W. Belmont Ave. This used to be a second store of Gene's Sausage Shop until it was sold to Jimenez. I sporadically shopped Gene's for select meats and a good array of reasonably fresh eastern European beers at solid prices.
    The illuminating element were the prices asked for Hot Pockets 9-oz. frozen entrees, and Campbell's Chunky Soups 18.8-oz. cans. It offers the Hot Pockets for $2.00 - with no limit, while the Jewel-Osco will limit you to only one and only if you're a member of its 'forU' program. (I will have more wrath for Jewel upcoming.) From prior observation, both Jewel and Tony's Fresh Market's regular price for Chunky Soups is $2.99. A two-dollar can of Chunky Soup is a reasonable 'sale' price, and one I would not expect from another Latinx-angling grocer. Not that I am going to buy this, although Tony's is offering this buy 1, get one 1 free, which should make the sale price $1.50 each. Usually in mid-January, when Campbell makes more advert buys on telecasts of National Football League playoff games, somewhere will put its cans on deep discount, perhaps even as low as one-dollar per can [when you buy 12 or 15].
    Thus, if Jimenez keeps including its advert in the flyer, I will inspect and compare it to the other stores.

I'll go to the Tony's Fresh Market advert. The N. Mannheim Rd. store in Melrose Park has been added to this advert, so it is up to 15 stores. The two in Chicago are 5630 W. Belmont (@ Central) - which I frequently shop, and 5233 N. Lincoln Ave. There are only two foodstuffs I can recommend buying here. As indicated above, I will not pay $1.50 for cans of Chunky Soups, but that is obviously a better price than at Jimenez. Entenmann's donuts are $3.50 each. I probably will not buy that.
    But I definitely will purchase the Bar S brand meat franks for 99¢ each (in a bundle of must buy at least five). Compare this to the 2.50 each being requested by Jewel for the exact same item! I perform the math for you:
    Five packs of Bar S franks at Jewel = $12.50
    Five packs of Bar S franks at Tony's = $4.95
    Where are you going to buy the Bar S franks this week? (Clutches the virtual two-by-four with both hands.)
    some doofus wrote: Who and where the hell is Tony's? I shop the closest Jewel.

POW!
    A second POW! as he lies writhing on the ground.

a concerned LTHF denizen wrote: Pudgy, that second strike could kill him!
    It may be better that he dies now rather than blowing all the money he would leave to his progeny, which he seemingly shall if he keeps spending like this.

I will leave Jewel until the end. It does have some respectable deals.
    At Food4Less | Mariano's, the Little Debbie snack cakes for $1.99 is good. The Christmas Tree cakes are quite good. You should also be able to get other 8-pack snack cakes for this price. I must relent that $4.99 (digital) for three pounds of its deli potato salad is likely the best price going forward, so I will probably buy that.
    If you did not buy the 12-pack of 12-oz. soda when it was on sale for 3.59 up to 23 Nov. [You blew it.], a 24-pack of 12-oz. cans of all three main soda packagers for $7.99 (digital) is as good as you're going to get for the rest of the calendar year. A 24-pack of Coca-Cola brands would cost you 13.99 (and must buy 2 at that price!?) at Jewel. {Is this a horrid week for Jewel?}
    But as I dump on other soda offers, I shake my head at Food4Less trying to get 3.99 for a 12-pack of its store brand soda. $3.33 or 2.99 would be a fair deal. Honestly, you think people are going to pay more for your store brand than what you were charging for nationally-advertised brands seven days ago?

All right; I've buried the bad news as much as possible. But now I will tell you what may actually be worth getting at Jewel-Osco this week.
    This is also the week of the glossy Latinx flyer. Potential good deals from it are the 20-lb. bag of Riceland rice for $10.99. (Tony's has the Canilla brand as the same size & price. Jimenez wants $12.99 for this.) The 5-oz. bottles of Cholula or McIllheny's hot sauces for $3.99 sound solid. Stouffer's or Lean Cuisine frozen entrees for $2.49 (digital- limit 10) might be bought, the majority being Lean Cuisine. That is it there.

Whew. This was an intense week for deals, many of which were not. This was what was delivered to 60641.
  • Post #223 - November 29th, 2023, 7:49 pm
    Post #223 - November 29th, 2023, 7:49 pm Post #223 - November 29th, 2023, 7:49 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:My weekly flyer is now Jewel and Sunset.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Interesting - Cathy and I live in the same city. I get the Mariano's insert every week. Aldi & Lewis inserts are hit and miss.

Guess what? Mariano's was back in my mail packet today.
    Cathy2

• Post #224 - December 6th, 2023, 3:11 pm
    Post #224 - December 6th, 2023, 3:11 pm Post #224 - December 6th, 2023, 3:11 pm
    Week #84: Somebody's Watching Me (| You)

The outer sheath: A, F, O, N(G).
    (Even more panicking from the paper checks people.)

• Tony's Fresh Market (16 stores)
    • Jewel-Osco
    • Carnicerias Jimenez
    • Centŕo Fresh Market
    • Cermak Produce #2
    • AT&T
    • Checkers | Rally's [20 coupons valid thru 18 February 2024]
    • Binny's [10% off wine - valid 9 Dec. 2023 only]
    The Tony's advert now lists 16 stores. It added 200 S. Roselle Rd. in Schaumburg & 155 E. North Ave. in Glendale Heights, but it also removed 1700 N. Lewis Ave. in Waukegan.
    We also have the Vericast booklet. In it are coupons for Krispy Kreme doughnuts [6 coupons valid thru 7 January 2024], Chocolove chocolates, Ragu sauce, plus the Family Dollar advert. The AT&T advert offers both fiber broadband and mobile phone service. Three hundred Mbps is pitched, but faster speeds, including 1 Gbps are mentioned.

I only got to Tony's this past week. I did not go to Jewel or Food 4 Less. At Tony's, I got five 12-oz. packs of Bar S franks, two bags of Hostess Donettes, and its 'Friday Freebee' (digital), a 12-oz. pack of Sugardale franks.

I do not view any solid deals in the Jimenez advert this week, except for a one-pound pack of Best Choice butter for $2.99, but it devotes part of it to its taqueria.

Tony's Fresh Market is hawking a lot of "buy 1, get 1 free" deals; but since I already bought the Hostess Donettes, I don't glimpse any items I would get. There is a digital coupon for one pound of Country Delight or Best Choice butter for $2.99 (limit 4).

It is not your imagination. Jewel-Osco's advert is transitioning to predominantly 'forU' digital deals. One of those is Ragu sauce 24-oz. for $1.99 (limit 2) - couple this with the coupon in the Vericast booklet. Buy 1, get 1 free for Entenmann's donuts is not a good deal. The regular price of those is $6.79. There is the $3.99 (digital - limit 4, must buy 4) per 12-pack of 12-oz. soda deal, which is the price I paid; but it has gone lower. It is the same price as Food 4 Less (digital - limit 5).

I lucked out in not buying the Lean Cuisine entrees at Jewel last week. This week, they are $2.00 (must buy 5) at Food 4 Less. Its (12) bakery glazed donuts for $4.00 (digital) will likely be obtained. The Hershey's "party pack" chocolates (35.9-oz.) for $9.99 (digital - limit 5) seems good. I might get the Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches $5.99 (digital - in a group of must buy 5). Do not get the butter here: 3.50 is not 2.99. I do not really need any more salty snacks, but I will inspect the 'clearance' rack, which might have some on offer [E.G.: Recall the tortilla chips.].

Even Aldi wants to sell you a 1-pound box of butter for $2.99 (limit 6). I will buy the Neufchatel cheese 8-oz. box for $1.39.

If you need to restock your supply of Miller High Life, Butera is offering it in 12-packs [can | bottle] for $6.99 (must buy 2).

This was what was delivered to 60641.
  • Post #225 - December 13th, 2023, 4:35 pm
    Post #225 - December 13th, 2023, 4:35 pm Post #225 - December 13th, 2023, 4:35 pm
    Week #85: The fever breaks.

The outer sheath: Q(A), 0, G, F(G).
    (All these paper checks ad placements must be costing them far more than what business it earns.)

• Tony's Fresh Market (13 stores)
    • Jewel-Osco
    • Carnicerias Jimenez
    • Centŕo Fresh Market
    • Cermak Produce #2
    • Total (by Verizon) phone service
    • Straight Talk (by Verizon) phone service
    • Culvers [6 coupons valid thru 4 February 2024]
    • Binny's
    • Menards
    I quit trying to ascertain which Tony's shops are included in this advert.
    We also have the Vericast booklet. The sole food coupon is for one Jimmy Dean sausage roll product. It has the Family Dollar advert.

I am not going to be very valuable for the next couple of months. On this past Saturday, I hauled out the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint. Its most tense moment is when I cold-crank it for the first time. It started. All the tires were inflated.

I went to Food4Less @ 4821 W. North Ave. I obtained $40.00 of Nestlé products by purchasing Stouffer's and Lean Cuisine frozen entrees ($2.00 each), and Hot Pockets sandwiches. The store bakery donuts were bought. The group of five became three Jimmy Dean frozen breakfast croissants and two Hershey share chocolates. If I had found the Hershey end point display before getting into the check-out queue, it would have flexed to three of those (& only 2 croissants). The total was $97.68, which includes a saving of $45.19 via digital coupons and its affinity card. The offer on the reverse of this receipt is close-to-worthless: $10.00 off an oil change @ Jiffy Lube.
    I do not need any more frozen entrees. Regardless of Michelina's going down to 99¢, or Smart Ones discounted to $1.79.
    I then hit the Aldi @ 4627 W. Diversey Ave. It did not have anything really worth purchasing except for the Neufchatel cheese ($1.39), but I opted for some of the Choceur chocolates. (Total = $15.67)

I do not view any solid deals in the Tony's Fresh Market advert this week. But I chuckle any time I see "party size" items listed. The entire 10-14-oz. bag of salty snacks is going to be consumed by one person over the course of watching one day of gridiron games on television.

Jimenez does not have any solid deals this week, but it continues devoting part of its advert to its taqueria. Many of the offers are for tortas. I should not have to inform you that tortas are messy, but I should take out something from it to see if it compares well with Carnicerias Guanajuato #3.

The Jewel-Osco's advert sent here has an extra page wrapped with eleven stores broken out. They are geographically diverse, but aimed at Latinx shoppers. The ones I could shop are 4660 W. Irving Park Rd. and 3400 N. Western Ave. If the Kroger - Albertsons merger is approved, this store may be one spun off (to Butera | Piggly Wiggly?), because of a Mariano's across Roscoe Ave. from it. Please inform us if there a wrap similar to this included in your flyer. On its general first page, there are a mere five deals not limited to its 'forU' program.
    That is a good deal on 12-packs of 12-oz. soda ($3.99-digital - must buy 4, limit 8 ), but it has gone lower than that sometimes. The raisin | cinnamon breads for $3.00 sounds good, as does the 16-oz. tub of Dean's dips ($2.29). I have told you to hold out on the Campbell chunky soups - 1.99 is not the optimum deal. Do not buy a pound of butter here for 3.99. There is a sale on Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage rolls ($4.00) - couple this with the coupon in the Vericast flyer. And while Jewel loves to flash the "local" card, Image this photograph taken in the wild (@ North, Milwaukee, & Damen) should neutralize that.

Food4Less | Mariano's has 12-packs of 12-oz. soda ($3.99-digital- limit 5) The butter deal this week is here, but you will have to buy two pounds of its store brand for $4.99. Miller High Life [12-oz. bottles | cans] 12-packs for $7.99, but it is $6.99 at Butera (must buy 2).

The Binny's advert was mostly wines, spirits, and holiday packages including glassware.

• Post #226 - December 20th, 2023, 6:15 pm
    Post #226 - December 20th, 2023, 6:15 pm Post #226 - December 20th, 2023, 6:15 pm
    Week #86: 86'd for Xmas.

The outer sheath: A, 0, E, F(G).
    (The paper checks ads are more persistent than Menards.)

• Tony's Fresh Market (10 stores- includes Melrose Park & all Chicago except N. Lincoln Ave.)
    • Jewel-Osco
    • Carnicerias Jimenez
    • Centŕo Fresh Market
    • Cermak Produce #2
    • Checkers | Rally's [20 coupons valid thru 18 February 2024]
    Ohmigawd :twisted: - no Menards advert this week.

Two weeks ago, I went to Food4Less @ 4821 W. North Ave. I obtained $40.00 of Nestlé products by purchasing Stouffer's and Lean Cuisine frozen entrees (20 @ $2.00 each), and Hot Pockets sandwiches (2 @ $10.99 each). I was approved for the $20.00 debit card.
    I do not need any more frozen entrees. Regardless of Michelina's going down to 99¢, or Smart Ones discounted to $1.79.

I do not need any more soda, but I'm stating this here and now so that I do not have to concentrate on it any time soon: Twelve-packs of 12-oz. soda are $3.59 this week at Food4Less (must buy 5 - limit 10) - this is not a digital price, so you should be able to visit multiple Food4Less stores, or visit on multiple days, to buy enough soda to last to at least Memorial Day 2024.
    The deal at Mariano's is buy 2, get 3 free. The regular price for 12-pack soda @ Mariano's is $8.99; five of these will break out to $3.596 each, and it will likely round up to 3.60. That is a solid deal on Lay's potato chips ($1.99 - must buy 4, no limit - a way better deal than Jewel charging $2.49 digital and limit 2!). Jimmy Dean 16-oz. breakfast sausage is $3.50 - couple this with the coupon in last week's Vericast flyer.

This looks like the week to shop @ Butera. The 1-lb. butter box is $2.69 (limit 2); the 12-oz. Jimmy Dean Delights Frittatas are $1.99 each (limit 4), and the advert points out this would cost 8.99 at Jewel(!- so I'm not the only person ragging on Jewel's 'sale' prices). Five pounds of Gold Medal all-purpose flour is $1.99 (limit 2). Frozen turkeys (the meat ~ not you :wink: ) are 99¢-lb. with a separate $10.00 purchase. Jack's 13-oz. original thin cheese pizza 4-pack for $5.96 (limit 2), or perhaps you would opt for the 26.82-oz. Brew Pub lotzza motzza pizza for $4.99 each (limit 2). Hillshire Farm roast beef 7-oz. tub $1.99 (limit 3). Food Club cream cheese 8-oz. brick $1.29 (limit 3 - this is cheaper than Aldi :!: and it is probably the same recipe with a mere labelling alteration). The 16-oz. loaf of Cinnabon or Sunmaid raisin bread is $2.99. Dean's dips 16-oz. $1.69 (limit 3). E. Wedel's chocolate bars 100-g. $1.25. Browse its advert on Flipp.

Inspecting the front page of the Tony's Fresh Market advert, I see no solid deals this week. Tony's will open on Xmas Day (7:00 am-5:00 pm).
    Do not buy the Lays potato chips, the 1-lb. box of butter, or the 8-oz. box of Philadelphia cream cheese. Frankly, this is the week to drop Tony's and go instead to Butera.

Jimenez will open on Xmas Day. Its hours vary by store, and I'm not inspecting its World-Wide Web page to check all eight of them. Its sale items are interesting. Some would be a good deal, but they were bettered by another store this week (the Dean's dips). El Ranchero tortilla chips 14-oz. $2.99 sounds good. But on some, it is not competitive. The almost substantial part of its advert is given over to catering deals and its in-store taquerias (three carne asada tacos + 20-oz. fountain drink $6.50, and four deals with tortas ($6.00, 6.50, 8.50)).

The Jewel-Osco's advert sent here has an extra page wrapped with eleven stores broken out {again}. Please inform us if there a wrap similar to this included in your flyer. {Now that I view this extra page also posted to Flipp, I suspect not.} The overlay has a misprint ~ the tub of La Guadalupana Masa is five pounds, not four ($5.99 ~ same price as Tony's, but a 2 limit here) (Jimenez wants 7.99). Jewel will be closed on Xmas Day. The deals I espy are the 20-lb. bag of Riceland rice for $8.99 (limit 1); the B1G1F for 14-oz. Nestle La Lachera condensed milk, 19-oz. Nestle Abuelita sweet chocolate mix, and 108-oz. La Preferida hominy ($3.99 - limit 2 ~ Tony's & Jimenez want 4.99 for this).
    'Buy 2, get 2 free' for a spectrum of products: That is the Cheez-It crackers 12.7-oz. size you should buy, but I can't recall what is its regular price {and I have five boxes in stock}. You could buy the 16-oz. loaf of Cinnabon or Sunmaid raisin bread here ($3.00), or three 9-oz. boxes of Nabisco snack crackers for $5.00 (digital- limit 3). (Tony's wants $2.50 each - digital- limit 2). Jewel wants $2.50 for the 16-oz. Dean's dips ~ no wonder Butera is taking pot shots at it. (Jimenez has this for $2.00.)

• Post #227 - December 26th, 2023, 6:40 pm
    Post #227 - December 26th, 2023, 6:40 pm Post #227 - December 26th, 2023, 6:40 pm
    Week #87: A case of the blues?

The outer sheath: B(A), 0, -, 1(G)
    1 = Replacement windows (Andersen), Paper check people are so deep in it, they cannot get up.
    There is no advertiser for page 3; just a page soliciting new advertisers.

• Tony's Fresh Market (13 stores - includes Melrose Park, Chicago N. Lincoln Ave. & 5630 W. Belmont Ave.)
    • Jewel-Osco
    • Carnicerias Jimenez
    • Subway [14 coupons valid thru 8 February 2024]
    • Menards
    No Cermak Produce #2 or Centŕo Fresh Market advert this week.

If you think I am going to report which grocers are offering 12-packs of 12-oz. soda for $3.99, you are wrong. Because you should have bought a whole bunch of cases for $3.59 last week at Food4Less or Mariano's. But - the "We love local" shop that is not local is trying to get that for a lesser amount.

Food4Less has deals on potato chips: Buy its store brand 8-oz. for $1.67; Jays 10-oz. $1.99; or 10-oz. Lay's $1.99 (must buy 4). In its 'Buy 5 or more' group is its store brand frozen breakfast entrees 4-pack $1.99. This scheme is usually valid for two weeks; so somebody could scarf the glossy sub-flyer in the store and annotate what else is in the group.
    DiGiorno 26-oz. frozen pizza $4.99 (digital - limit 5) [This counts towards the $40.00 Nestlé rebate.]; 3-lb. deli potato salad | macaroni salad | coleslaw $4.99 (digital - limit 5); Quaker instant oatmeal 6-10 count $1.49 (digital - limit 5).
    Riceland long grain white rice 20-lb. $10.99.

Tony's Fresh Market has 12-oz. Vienna Beef franks and 20-oz. Scott Pete {regular} polish sausage for $4.99. Scott Pete beef polish sausage 20-oz. is $6.99 - get this at Jimenez. Smart Ones frozen entrees are $1.99 (but I do not need any more frozen entrees now). SuperPretzel 13-oz. frozen pretzels $2.99. Little Debbie snack cakes $2.50.

Butera has not yet uploaded its flyer to Flipp, so I can't tell you if it has any good deals like those of this week.

Jewel-Osco has a few good deals. Note again how many of these deals are digital. The 12-oz. Vienna Beef franks are $4.99 here. Utz kettle potato chips 8-oz. are $1.49 (digital - limit 1).
    If the White Castle frozen sliders is the 16-pack, that is a good deal. ($9.98 - digital - limit 2) (I do not need to buy any more.)

Jimenez has the Smart Ones frozen entrees for $2.00, and the beef Scott Pete polish sausage 20-oz. for $4.99. (I hope this is not a printing error.) The 'Taqueria' section has seven meal deals including a fountain soda: Five are $6.50; one is $10.50, & one is $5.00. This may be what finally gets me to shop there.

• Post #228 - December 28th, 2023, 4:23 pm
    Post #228 - December 28th, 2023, 4:23 pm Post #228 - December 28th, 2023, 4:23 pm
    Decidedly not in the weekly flyer, Butera has unadvertised, unposted Podlaski and Morski for $3.99. Also, depending on the store, Rycki Edam or Lowell Gouda at the same price. Ask the deli worker to check the price, though: They've been running this special for a few weeks now and eventually it will come to an end. Makes me wonder what other unadvertised deli specials exist...
  • Post #229 - January 3rd, 2024, 4:13 pm
    Post #229 - January 3rd, 2024, 4:13 pm Post #229 - January 3rd, 2024, 4:13 pm
    Week #88: Finances? What finances?

The outer sheath: H, D, B, 2(G)
    2 = Weight loss scheme (Nutrisystem). These minute ads for Paper checks are even less effective than the 'missing kids' blurbs alongside them. {If you ever really saw one of them and reported it - the authorities would deduce you had already abused the kid, and proceed from that.}

• Tony's Fresh Market (10 stores - includes Melrose Park, both Chicago on W. Belmont Ave., but not N. Lincoln Ave.)
    • Jewel-Osco
    • Carnicerias Jimenez
    • Cermak Produce #2
    • Centŕo Fresh Market
    • Culver's [6 coupons valid thru 4 February 2024]
    • Menards (2 adverts + the 15% off paper bag)

It is Wednesday. It appears I am going to have to synopsize the Tony's Fresh Market advert - it is not listed on Flipp. Neither is Butera; but I do not have its advert.

The purveyors peddling {fear, uncertainty, & doubt} numismatic coin schemes must be daft. Does anybody out here have $1,195.00 to give to it for what will be a non-liquid financial debit? Especially this week | month?
    [If you are willing and able to speculate in commodity markets, including gold coins, do the homework and establish a relationship with a local financial counselor instead of throwing off thousands of dollars to a faceless corporation which you will not recoup even if gold appreciates significantly.]

There is a deal at Tony's. KraftHeinz has responded to Nestlé's Lean Cuisine deal by letting its Smart Ones frozen entrees go on sale for 99¢ (must buy 5). This is a very good price; but I do not need any more frozen entrees. The 12-oz. Bar-S franks are $1.25. The 12-oz. Nathan's beef franks for $4.99. If you depleted your 60 cans of 12-oz. Miller High Life beer, a 12-pack is $5.99 (must buy 2).

This past Saturday, I got to Carnicerias Jimenez on W. Belmont Ave. Its physical outline has not much changed, except for where it carved out a spot for its taqueria. There are 2½ round tables should you want to eat in. (Half the third had empty bakery trays stacked there.) Last week's advert had a number on deals on al pastor. I opted for an al pastor burrito ($9.99). Image I preferred the red sauce (v. the green). It was not 'The best thing I had lately', but it was a solid contender for size and value.
    Its beer selection was about the same as when it was Gene's Sausage Shop. Perhaps it had fewer eastern European beers {Did I overlook Pilsner Urquell?}. Its pricing was not as keen as other package liquor stores.
    There was a nice surprise at the checkout lane. A free bi-lingual 2024 calendar with more information on it than the other 2024 calendars I had previously obtained. Besides the lunar calendar, each day has its Julian date annotated.
    The frozen entree deals here are the Nestlé Hot Pockets sandwiches for $1.67 (Tony's wants $2.50.) and Lean Cuisine for $2.00. The rebate deal for Nestlé products is ongoing. Its ad also has the Bar-S 12-oz. franks for $1.25. The illustration also shows the beef franks which, if this is not an error, is an outstanding deal. You (and I) should go here this week. The taqueria deals mention carne asada. I did not espy a cone of al pastor last week, but it turned out well. It has chicken and sausage as well. (If you shop the store on W. Belmont; and its food gives you pause, there is both a Taco Bell and a Popeye's store within staggering distance.)

Food4Less has the $2.00 deal on Lean Cuisine | Stouffer's frozen entrees (but I do not need any more). Riceland long grain white rice 20-lb. $10.99.
    Do not get the Lay's potato chips. $2.29 is not 1.99. Nor the Michelina's 8-oz. frozen entrees for 99¢ - the Smart Ones for the same price @ Tony's is the better meal.

Jewel-Osco has a few good deals. Note again how many of these deals are digital. The Chex Mix | Bugles | Gardetto's 7½-oz. snacks are $1.49 (digital - in multiples of 4) in a bundle of spending at least $25.00 this week on select items, of which only a few are collated in this advert. (Tony's asks $2.49 - must buy 5) The Nissin noodle cups 3.42-oz. for 99¢ (digital - limit 10) is good.

• Post #230 - January 10th, 2024, 3:20 pm
    Post #230 - January 10th, 2024, 3:20 pm Post #230 - January 10th, 2024, 3:20 pm
    Week #89: You're shopping in-store?

The outer sheath: E, K, G, F(G)
    When will guilt tripping become loathsome? Another QR code for paper checks alongside the 'missing kid' blurb. {This week, they want you to find a 22-year-old. She likely ran away from home because a parent was abusing her. She does not want to go back there.} Oh - there's also an ad for paper checks in the Vericast coupon booklet.

Looking at the upcoming weather forecast, I remind you of one of my codicils. If I have a package of beer in the refrigerator with a higher Alcohol By Volume than that day's predicted high temperature (°F), I am not going out anywhere. A 22-oz. bottle of a 13½% beer is on a shelf. It appears I have a three-hour window on Sunday to shovel the sidewalk here before it becomes a permanent block of ice. What became of the proposal to have the city plow the sidewalks as well as the street? Ugh, ugh.

• Tony's Fresh Market (10 stores - includes Melrose Park, both Chicago on W. Belmont Ave., but not N. Lincoln Ave.)
    • Jewel-Osco
    • Carnicerias Jimenez
    • Cermak Produce #2
    • Centŕo Fresh Market
    • Verizon wireless internet
    • Replacement windows^
    • Doordash (50% off 1st order- code 3sdw6x)
    • Ohmigawd - Menards is not in this week's package
    ^The replacement window offer mandates you finance through GreenSky Finance. GreenSky hassled me so much I had to get the Illinois Attorney General's office involved, and in retaliation for not succumbing to its exorbitant and improperly applied 24.99% interest charge, placed a derogatory remark on my credit rating.
    We also have the Vericast coupon booklet. Almost all of the coupons have a one-month or less expiration date, including the Krispy Kreme donuts. The meat purveyor is also doubling down in it.

The ten Burger King coupons are advertised to be valid until 24 March 2024. In actuality, they do not expire. The Whopper meal for two has gone up to $13.49 [1676]. That is the only price rise I view.

I am not going to pore over the grocery adverts this week. The Lean Cuisine frozen entrees are $2.00 for another week at Food 4 Less (must buy 5 - no limit - the Nestlé reward offer is extant).

Centŕo Fresh Market is being permanently expelled from inspection for trying to claim $2.49 is a "sale price" for a 18-oz. bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce.

Jewel-Osco is being placed on top here because the weather impacts it. It has opted to foray a one-day only "e-comm" sale on Saturday. Saturday will be a 24-hour period of snow falling, drifting, and bolstered by strong winds. If you wanted to motor to its store [including the one at 2520 N. Narragansett Ave., where I have shopped, but not bought beer] - it won't let you inside for the e-comm items. There are items you could buy there this week, but you should get there before Saturday.
    Note that you could buy Triscuit crackers 14-oz. 3 | $10.00 (must buy 3) or via a digital coupon for the 9-oz. size for $3.86 (limit 2 - must buy 2). I do not need another box of Triscuit, but I would buy more boxes of Chicken-in-a-Biskit. The 99¢ digital deal on Fisher peanuts (limit 1) and Chex Mix, Bugles, Gardetto's (limit 4) is solid.
    As I've previously noted, do not buy the Lean Cuisine entrees here. I urge you to hold back on the Progresso soups. The deal on Chunky soup is imminent.

Butera has 1-lb. packages of butter for $2.89 (limit 3), and Entenmann's donuts for $3.49.

I see only two potential deals at Tony's Fresh Market. Both are digital - The 12-pack of Maruchan instant ramen cups for $5.00, and two 12-packs of 12-oz. bottles of Miller High Life beer for $10.00 - must buy 2 - limit 4). Do not get the Chunky soups here - see above. A disappointment for me is that; knowing Tony's, the 12-packs of Maruchan instant ramen will be limited to beef and chicken. Maruchan has more distinctive varieties typically purveyed at Food 4 Less and Jewel, with which you could experiment. {Will individual cups of the other varieties be as cheap at 50¢, much less the 42¢ this breaks out as?}

I have to get to Jimenez. This past week, I did something I seldom do. On Sunday, I went to the Jimenez on W. Belmont (as per last week). It had the Bar S meat franks for $1.25. It was the pork & beef meat franks only [which I expected]. When I looked at the packages, they all had "Best before" dates of January 23, 2024. I have 12-oz. packages of Bar S franks, including those made of turkey, perched in the back porch freezer for upwards of three years. They have frost growing within. I could not justify buying more packages which would go out-of-code so soon. I asked the customer service representative where were the Lean Cuisine dinners and the Hot Pockets {not that I would have bought the latter}. She could not find them. Then I went to its taqueria to buy the Torta el carne asada. The taqueria closes quite early on Sunday. I walked out of the store with nothing.
    What I did was go to another Jimenez on Monday: The one on W. Fullerton Ave. The one that is three blocks away from another Tony's. This Jimenez had a surprising selection of craft beer, albeit expensive. (I espied a six-pack of Deschutes Black Butte Porter.) It did not have a spot in its refrigerated aisle for the Bar S franks. It had more freezer cases, but I did not glimpse even a shelf tag for the Lean Cuisine or Hot Pockets. Its taqueria is a separate section from the rest of the supermarket. I succeeded in purchasing the Torta el carne asada here. However, what its advert describes as a 20-oz. soda (which would be a bottle) turned out to be a 12-oz. can. It really should alter its advert on this, lest somebody reports it to a consumer protection agency. The Torta was not as messy as at Carnicerias Guanajuato. There were bits of overcooked chopped steak inside. It was O.K. Not as good as the burrito al pastor of the previous week.
    So I will continue monitoring Jimenez, but everybody should learn that its adverts may promise more than it has.

• Post #231 - January 17th, 2024, 10:50 pm
    Post #231 - January 17th, 2024, 10:50 pm Post #231 - January 17th, 2024, 10:50 pm
    Week #90: Who needs a refrigerator?

The outer sheath: A, O, G, F(G)

Looking at the upcoming weather forecast, I remind you of one of my codicils. If I have a package of beer in the refrigerator with a higher Alcohol By Volume than that day's predicted high temperature (°F), I am not going out anywhere. A 22-oz. bottle of a 13½% beer is on a shelf. I had a three-hour window on Saturday to shovel the sidewalk here

• Jewel-Osco
    • Carnicerias Jimenez
    • Cermak Produce #2
    • Burger King [20 coupons valid thru 31 March 2024*]
    • Checkers | Rally's [20 coupons valid through 30 April 2024]
    • Replacement windows^
    • the MAGA-endorsing pizza chain
    • Menards (x 2)
    * = Burger King coupons never expire.
    ^ Paper checks are an obsolete artifact, but the replacement window offer via GreenSky Finance has long-lasting impacts upon you should you execute this offer. :evil:

I am going to start with the Food 4 Less advert {from Flipp}. You have a choice of donut deals. Try the dozen of store-baked donuts for $3.99 (digital), or the Entenmann's 8-pack for $3.50. The 12.4-oz. boxes of Cheez-It crackers for $2.50 (must buy at least 2) is a very good deal. The 7½-oz. Nabisco snack crackers (i.e.: Chicken in a Biskit) for $2.99 [in a group of at least six items] is good.
    I should not have to remind you that $5.99 for a 12-pack of 12-oz. soda is horrible. This applies to Jewel-Osco, Tony's Fresh Market, and Butera also.
    One dollar for the enhanced (82 g) instant ramen cups is a good price. {The 42¢ ramen cup from last week is 62 g.} I haven't needed to buy peanut butter for years; but $1.50 seems a deal for store brand 16-oz. jars. {Aldi wants $1.85 for 18-oz.}
    As for its chocolates, I suspect you can get a better deal for the regular German-imported brands at Aldi. Or perhaps you are holding out until 15 February.

I brandish the yellow card to Butera for trying to get away with $2.49 as a "sale" price for the Smart Ones frozen meals. (Tony's was offering them for 99¢ a couple of weeks ago.) The price of the 5.18-oz. Delicje cookies has increased 20¢ ($1.19) from the last time I recall it being considered 'on sale'.

I see nothing worth shopping this week at Carnecerias Jimenez.

Jewel-Osco has been getting too close to the edge, and now is also being shown the yellow card. One: For diminishing the value of the Chex Mix | Bugles | Gardetto's 7½-oz. snacks to $1.99 (digital - must buy 4 - limit 4); it was $1.49 two weeks ago. Two: For exhibiting unsportsmanlike conduct in claiming that $3.99 is a sale price for the very same Lean Cuisine frozen entrees which were on sale at Food 4 Less the last fortnight for $2.00. I am forming a belief that if the Albertsons - Kroger merger is permitted, the Albertsons prices will not decrease; the Kroger prices will increase. Three: Its persistent attempts to portray itself as "local" when its actual headquarters are one thousand six hundred ninety-six miles away. :evil:
    Maybe I should ensue claiming I am local to Ueno, Taito Ward, Tokyo, Japan. Woo hoo. 8)

I see only two potential deals at Tony's Fresh Market. The 12-pack of 12-oz. containers of Miller High Life beer for $6.99 (must buy 2), and the 8-pack of Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches for $9.99 (must buy 2).

Pulling back to gaze the big picture: Temperatures in Chicago are predicted to be below freezing until Monday. In normal weather, I go outside to a bar, or take transit to a restaurant to carry out a foodstuff weekly. But I am not setting foot outside until, at the earliest, Monday. The "sale" deals at metropolitan Chicago grocers are so lousy this week I keenly recommend you doing the same. You have food and beverage in abeyance; draw from it.

I'm slugging this in here now because a number of communities have instituted plastic bag charges. The major functional problem is: When you finally get to the Point-Of-Sale terminal, typing in your digital coupon identification code, and reaching for your credit or debit card - the cashier has already charged you for a number of plastic bags before you could exclaim "No bags".
    Here is a photograph of the "to-be-reused" plastic bag stash here at the abode. Image
    This is my reusable fiber bag; given to me when I attended an American Homebrewers' Association's National Homebrew Conference. Image
    Further inspection of this reusable fiber bag inside reveals more plastic bags in the "to-be-reused" class. Image
    My fashion, particularly when shopping via transit {The Jewel-Osco @ 4660 W. Irving Park; the Tony's @ 5630 W. Belmont; or the Food 4 Less @ 4821 W. North}, is to place my purchases into one or more of the plastic bags (especially when the items are frozen or refrigerated) and then marshall the plastic bags into the fiber bag. The handles on the fiber bag will be hoisted upon one shoulder. (At a crucial moment, I will need a free hand to tap my Ventra card.)

• Post #232 - January 18th, 2024, 10:46 am
    Post #232 - January 18th, 2024, 10:46 am Post #232 - January 18th, 2024, 10:46 am
    Perhaps a red card is in order for Jewel: The Gardettos/Bugles/Chex Mix deal of a few weeks ago was 99¢. And there's the fruit inflation too: Blueberries and blackberries were 99¢ 2 weeks ago, $1.49 last week, $1.99 this week. I wonder why they feature these prices in the sale flyer - to plant a pricing stake in the ground so that next time the 99¢ price comes around, we'll jump on it more vigorously?

Marianos ads of the last few weeks have shown some alarmingly inflationary trends, too: The new Kroger sale price for industry standard Lays family size potato chips is $2.29, up from the $1.99 it had been for quite a while. Of course that was a big increase from whatever it was a few years ago. Similar for soda: Their new sale price is 4 for $19.98, up from the late 2023 usual 5 for $17.98. Worrisome for a couple reasons: General inflation is supposedly tamed, and Kroger will soon, with the Albertsons buyout, be the dominant grocer in the area without a major competitor to exert downward price pressure.

One positive note for this week: the outdated charcuterie deal at Butera is Hillshire Farms black pepper turkey breast, little tubs for 99¢. It's pretty good and you get a reusable food container to boot. I suspect there's some of last week's Hillshire roast beef left in their freezers too. Far better than the recent Armour ham and chicken deal, salt-only flavor and no tub.
  • Post #233 - January 18th, 2024, 4:53 pm
    Post #233 - January 18th, 2024, 4:53 pm Post #233 - January 18th, 2024, 4:53 pm
    Butera still has the Hillshire Farms roast beef tub;12 oz for .99c although the package says 1/08/24 on it. The Black pepper Turkey also at .99c says 1/24/24. The roast beef is probably good if you thaw it and eat it immediately. No frozen pizzas on Sale this week at Butera so only Avocados; 2/1.00 medium & peppers were needed.
  • Post #234 - January 18th, 2024, 5:50 pm
    Post #234 - January 18th, 2024, 5:50 pm Post #234 - January 18th, 2024, 5:50 pm
    tjr wrote:Perhaps a red card is in order for Jewel: ...And there's the fruit inflation too: Blueberries and blackberries were 99¢ 2 weeks ago, $1.49 last week, $1.99 this week. I wonder why they feature these prices in the sale flyer - to plant a pricing stake in the ground so that next time the 99¢ price comes around, we'll jump on it more vigorously?

"Normal" price for the small tubs of berries is $3.99. 99¢ is pretty awesome if the fruit is in good condition, $1.99 is affordable, but I never buy at the regular price.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #235 - January 19th, 2024, 5:24 pm
    Post #235 - January 19th, 2024, 5:24 pm Post #235 - January 19th, 2024, 5:24 pm
    Hi- You folks realize that at $.99 on the strawberries Jewel is losing money, and at $1.99 they are not making any money. Yesterday I saved 43% at Jewel by using my J4U and hitting the sales, and so I am sure they did not make any money on me. The only reason they can stay in business is because the majority of their customers do not belong to J4U or only buy what is on sale.

Jewel entices people to come into the store with their lost leaders, but at the same time, they are hoping that people will be tempted to buy other stuff that is not on sale. I am not an impulse shopper though. That is why a lot of people like to do pickup instead so they won't be tempted in the store.
  • Post #236 - January 19th, 2024, 5:27 pm
    Post #236 - January 19th, 2024, 5:27 pm Post #236 - January 19th, 2024, 5:27 pm
    The problem with me in only shopping for the Lean Cuisine when it is $2, is the fact that it is not that cheap very often, and I don't have enough freezer space to buy 20 packages at one time, and also Jewel has a limit on how many you can buy.
  • Post #237 - January 20th, 2024, 11:17 am
    Post #237 - January 20th, 2024, 11:17 am Post #237 - January 20th, 2024, 11:17 am
    NFriday wrote:Hi- You folks realize that at $.99 on the strawberries Jewel is losing money, and at $1.99 they are not making any money.
    How much does Albertson's pay for corporate size purchases of strawberries, contracts made in advance for hundreds of stores throughout the US?

I've also been wondering over the last year, given that Jewel is so much cheaper than Marianos on most items, if Albertsons is trying to drive up revenues as far as possible pending a final price determination for the Kroger buyout. Or is the buyout price set?
  • Post #238 - January 25th, 2024, 4:14 pm
    Post #238 - January 25th, 2024, 4:14 pm Post #238 - January 25th, 2024, 4:14 pm
    Week #91: Everybody is hunkering down.

The outer sheath: N, -, -, G(G)
    Look at that. Pages 2 and 3 are solicitations to advertise in this flyer. The full-page ad for paper checks on page 4 still includes the minute one aside the "missing kids" blurb. {This one is now 22-yo.}

The reason this missive is late is because after not venturing out of the abode for eight days {except to pick up the flyer last week}, I went out on Wednesday to Micro Center (it offered a free 128 GB USB 3.1 flash drive ~ that is larger than the HD on my Windows® 8.1 laptop computer), Al's Beef (Western & Elston), and Sleeping Village.

• Tony's Fresh Market (10 stores - the addresses have been deleted, but the stores are annotated)
    • Jewel-Osco
    • Carnicerias Jimenez
    • Cermak Produce #2
    • Centŕo Fresh Market
    • AT&T bundle: 300 Mbps Fiber® broadband + wireless mobile phone service
    • Menards

I am going to start with the Food 4 Less advert {from Flipp}. $4.99 (digital) for 3-lbs. of potato salad is good ~ I will likely buy this. There is the $1.49 offer again for Bugles, Chex Mix, and Gardetto's 8¾-oz. bags. I still believe the price on Chunky soup will go lower [maybe 99¢, $1.00, or $1.25], but if you don't want to follow me out on the limb, $1.49 is respectable. The virtual 2 × 4 will not be brandished. Kroger peanut butter 1-lb. $1.50 is OK. The 12-pack of 12-oz. containers of Miller High Life for $5.99 (must buy at least 2 - multiples of 2) is good.

Truthfully, I must again question whether the details are correct insofar as Carnecerias Jimenez lists Bar S franks for $1.50, but indicates the size as 16-oz. All the Jimenez stores may not carry the brand, and the last time I espied it in the refigerated case at the shop on W. Belmont Ave. it was 12-oz. for $1.25. But, if it is as advertised, it is less expensive than the offer from Tony's. The deals from its taqueria seem solid; but the included soda is more likely to be a 12-oz. can than a 20-oz. bottle.

It is not a good week for Tony's Fresh Market. It is being undercut by Jimenez [above] and Jewel-Osco. I would eliminate Tony's in favor of the others.

Jewel-Osco has some offers. If you want to buy the Entenmann's donuts (B1G1F), do it here rather than Tony's. But it continues expressing dissent in trying to get $1.99 (digital) for the Chunky soups. Fortunately?, it limits you to six cans. {The $1.49 deal from Food 4 Less has a minimum of five with no limit and is not digital.} $1.99 (digital - must buy 3 - limit 3) is a good price for the 9-oz., Nabisco snack crackers. Cheez-it crackers 12.4-oz. $2.50 (must buy at least 2 - multiples of 2) is good.

• Post #239 - January 25th, 2024, 10:20 pm
    Post #239 - January 25th, 2024, 10:20 pm Post #239 - January 25th, 2024, 10:20 pm
    tjr wrote:
    NFriday wrote:Hi- You folks realize that at $.99 on the strawberries Jewel is losing money, and at $1.99 they are not making any money.
    How much does Albertson's pay for corporate size purchases of strawberries, contracts made in advance for hundreds of stores throughout the US?

I've also been wondering over the last year, given that Jewel is so much cheaper than Marianos on most items, if Albertsons is trying to drive up revenues as far as possible pending a final price determination for the Kroger buyout. Or is the buyout price set?

It is not uncommon for large supermarkets and other institutions to make large purchases of produces from a particular vendor for a particular week. It is NOT uncommon for the price of strawberries to jump from $12 per flat to $45 per flat depending on the source of the berries (and to fall to $9 a few weeks later.

Albertson/Safeway SALE prices have been significantly lower than Krogers for the past six months. However, their shelf prices are significantly HIGHER in the markets that I have recently shopped here in the west.

In 2024, we have changed the way we shop. Every other month, we make a major stock up trip to Winco Foods when we are in Phoenix with an occasional stop at ALDI for a handful of items. We buy nothing at the local Kroger affiliate or Safeway unless it is a markdown or a sale item.

The local Kroger cashier noticed and told me that all 16 items that I purchased this week were on sale or marked down.
  • Post #240 - January 30th, 2024, 7:34 pm
    Post #240 - January 30th, 2024, 7:34 pm Post #240 - January 30th, 2024, 7:34 pm
    Week #92: That is a good deal.

The outer sheath: E, -, B, S(G)

We have a lot of coupons this week. The Vericast pamphlet has some I have clipped, or can recommend you clip.

• Tony's Fresh Market (10 stores)
    • Jewel-Osco
    • Carnicerias Jimenez
    • Cermak Produce #2
    • Centŕo Fresh Market
    • Kentucky Fried Chicken [12 coupons valid thru 8 April 2024]
    • Popeye's Chicken [20 coupons valid through 2 June 2024]
    • Subway [14 coupons valid through 14 March 2024]
    • Verizon mobile phone service
    • Menards
    The coupons in the Vericast pamphlet are for the Purina brands cat food. I do not need any cat food now (wet | dry), but it is easy to get to $25.00 in one trip on Purina cat food. Also clip the Superpretzel coupons, the Lindt's chocolate coupon, and the Boost nutritional beverage coupon. The Family Dollar advert has a good deal insofar the Little Debbie multi-pack for $2.50 (must buy 2).

Food 4 Less has undercut its prior sale price on Kroger 16-oz. peanut butter ~ now 99¢ (digital - limit 5). Also a digital deal on 12-packs of 12-oz. soda $3.99 (limit 5). This is not $3.59, but if you want to buy it, I won't gripe. I paid $3.69 {B1G1F} for Entenmann's donuts @ Jewel-Osco ~ so $3.50 is a better offer. That is a solid price for the Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches 8-pack $9.99. I did get to Food 4 Less this week to buy the 3-lb. potato salad and the Chex Mix snacks. I also went by the 'close-out' section (a clutch of shopping carts and racks) and scarfed some cookies and potato chips from it. I also espied a lot of boxes of cereal slowly approaching their "Best before" date. I did not buy those. You might want to check this at your Food 4 Less store.

I need to get to Dollar-and-a-quarter-Tree this week. I looked at its sale advert on Flipp last week and this week. The price for el Monterrey XL burritos $1.25 is good, and I will buy it. There is also its continuing offer of 4-packs of 12-oz. Faygo soda which works out to $3.75 for 12 cans.

Jewel-Osco has good deals on Superpretzel 13-oz. for $2.50 - couple it with the $1.00 coupon from the Vericast pamphlet. I probably will not buy this; but $12.99 for 12-pack of 12-oz. bottles of Leinenkugel's beer is a better price than Binny's.
    {It has been so long since I drove the 1987 Sprint; it might not start.}
    This is also the week for the Latinx glossy flyer [valid through 2 April 2024]. Its price for the 1½-liter Jarritos soda $1.50 is bettered by Carneceria Jimenez ($1.25); but it is then undercut by Tony's (99¢ - must buy at least 5). Jimenez's soda deals are not as good as Food 4 Less', but it is undercutting Jewel on 12- and 24-packs of Pepsi and Keurig Dr. Pepper 12-oz. cans ($4.99 | 9.99). Tony's undercuts all the above for 24-packs of 12-oz. cans Keurig Dr. Pepper brands for $8.99 (must buy 2).

Did anybody get to Jimenez or Tony's Fresh Market to discern whether Bar S franks actually has a 16-oz. size? Because Tony's advertises the 12-oz. franks for 99¢.
    Somebody more earnest about buying the foodstuffs will have to closely compare whether Jewel or Tony's has this week's lower price on La Preferida and V&V Supremo items. It is mixed.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more