LTH Home

Jerry's Fruit and Garden, Niles

Jerry's Fruit and Garden, Niles
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Jerry's Fruit and Garden, Niles

Post #1 - December 7th, 2023, 11:34 am
    Post #1 - December 7th, 2023, 11:34 am Post #1 - December 7th, 2023, 11:34 am
    It is about time this place had its own thread. Geez it is mentioned enough in other threads, but someone never had its own.

Tuesday night I was at Jerry's, for the first time I saw pork ribs cut Chinese style. I believe it was $3.39 per pound.

Bulk shallots are 98 cents per pound. It is usually around a dollar more, so I loaded up.

Strawberries were 98 cents a package. I called home to alert the family we will be enjoying strawberries and whipped cream over the next five days.

There are enough immigrants visiting, it is possible to get cooking questions answered about their native cuisine.

7901 N Milwaukee Ave, Niles, IL 60714
    Monday-Tuesday 8 AM–11 PM
    Wednesday-Sunday 7 AM–11 PM
    https://www.jerrysfruitandgarden.com/specials
    Phone: (847) 967-1440
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - December 7th, 2023, 11:38 am
    Post #2 - December 7th, 2023, 11:38 am Post #2 - December 7th, 2023, 11:38 am
    Sorry, still have PTSD from my one and only visit.
  • Post #3 - December 7th, 2023, 2:17 pm
    Post #3 - December 7th, 2023, 2:17 pm Post #3 - December 7th, 2023, 2:17 pm
    I've known Jerry & Richie Rieger for years--they used to buy off the old South Water Market even before it moved to Pilsen. And they were astute buyers, knew when they had a vendor over a barrel and could buy super cheap.

Jerry's also is the only place, alluding to Spinynorman's comment, where crashes with shopping carts inside and outside the store can and has gotten physical. A good deal has its price! :shock:

Jay
  • Post #4 - December 9th, 2023, 3:51 am
    Post #4 - December 9th, 2023, 3:51 am Post #4 - December 9th, 2023, 3:51 am
    Yup. Wear your shin guards backwards if you go on senior discount days. Those experiences have led me to wonder if there are cultures where it's considered appropriate to use a cart to snowplow a too-slow shopper out of the way.
  • Post #5 - December 9th, 2023, 9:41 am
    Post #5 - December 9th, 2023, 9:41 am Post #5 - December 9th, 2023, 9:41 am
    Hi,

Not every time, but time to time, there is someone who wants to rush through Jerry's. I have started to give them pushback it is not appropriate to behave this way. It usually slows them down at least around me.

As for the parking lot, whoever's space I am ready to pounce I offer to take their cart. Otherwise you wait for them to return their cart. Most of the time I get my parking space and a cart.

I was going to H-Mart for years not realizing how close Jerry's was located. MHays often remarked on the deals she found there. Effectively I followed her foot steps and glad I did.

Last Spring's six-pound camembert wheels for $9 was outstanding. If anyone sees anything like this, please post!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #6 - December 9th, 2023, 3:02 pm
    Post #6 - December 9th, 2023, 3:02 pm Post #6 - December 9th, 2023, 3:02 pm
    I admit that I don't go to Jerry's that often because of the crowded/cranky people and parking situation.

I have been told that this issue is much less prominent during the early and late hours of opening.

Also, if you park in the area north of the building [McDonald's side] you have much less of a chance of taking your life into your hands. It's laid out in a weird and confusing manner but, unlike the parking lot on the south end, you can successfully swing the proverbial cat without getting hurt.

Niles, IL 60714
    (847) 967-1440
    Hours:
    Mon-Tues 8 am - 11pm Wed-Sun 7 am - 11pm

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #7 - December 9th, 2023, 10:01 pm
    Post #7 - December 9th, 2023, 10:01 pm Post #7 - December 9th, 2023, 10:01 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I have started to give them pushback...
    In a Jerry's context, does this mean you push their cart right back at them? :)

And yes, that was a heckuva cheese deal.
    Giovanna wrote:I have been told that this issue is much less prominent during the early and late hours of opening.
    True, when I've been there really late, like after 9pm, it's definitely safer.
  • Post #8 - December 10th, 2023, 9:22 am
    Post #8 - December 10th, 2023, 9:22 am Post #8 - December 10th, 2023, 9:22 am
    tjr wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:I have started to give them pushback...
    In a Jerry's context, does this mean you push their cart right back at them? :)

In this case, I have begun confronting them. There is no winner to being rude.

Sunset Foods in Highland Park is not always so easy to navigate, especially when approaching a holiday. I have seen (off duty?) police directing traffic outside on major holidays. It is just as much fun inside the store, though Sunset is great in getting people through the checkout fast.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #9 - December 10th, 2023, 4:28 pm
    Post #9 - December 10th, 2023, 4:28 pm Post #9 - December 10th, 2023, 4:28 pm
    I went at 2pm today, just popping in on the way to Fresh Farms on Golf, since Google maps said it was as busy as could be and I wanted to see the "shin guard" hype for myself. It's super packed in the first couple aisles, but not so bad after that. I didn't know it was quite as fully stocked with proteins as it was. It's a fun experience just to be part of the zoo, but it's not really necessary when Fresh Farms is right up the road.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more