LTH Home

Bucatini alla Matriciana [Pictures]

Bucatini alla Matriciana [Pictures]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - October 3rd, 2014, 12:37 am
    Post #61 - October 3rd, 2014, 12:37 am Post #61 - October 3rd, 2014, 12:37 am
    Geo wrote:Smassey--

Here's a bucatini recipe that recently caught my eye: Sicilian pasta with cauliflower.

Geo

Thank you, Geo.
    -Shari
  • Post #62 - December 11th, 2023, 12:34 am
    Post #62 - December 11th, 2023, 12:34 am Post #62 - December 11th, 2023, 12:34 am
    Alex (aka French Guy Cooking) has been doing a semi-deep dive into guanciale and hence, Matriciana . . .

I Learned The Most Authentic Pasta Amatriciana from an Italian Mamma

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #63 - December 11th, 2023, 12:43 pm
    Post #63 - December 11th, 2023, 12:43 pm Post #63 - December 11th, 2023, 12:43 pm
    An immediate reminder, like a slap in the face, that I haven't made this in years, since before Covid for sure. Must get on that, thanks Ron!

Variations on Bucatini all' Amatriciana abound. I've had my best version many years ago at Da Giggetto, an ancient trattoria in Rome's Jewish Quarter, and it wasn't nearly as saucy as the video, although what sauce was there did stick to the pasta. I like the tactility of the chewy guanciale & the al dente bucatini in the same bite. But I do like the separation of the guanciale from the oil, to regulate proportion as one goes along. And then I will incorporate the quick deglazing with a splash of white wine.

I've gone back & forth between shallot & onion in my recipe, and I add flat Italian parsley, and of course copious amounts of Pecorino Romano. And pancetta is a poor substitute, with most kinds of bacon not up to par either.

Now I'm hungry!
  • Post #64 - December 11th, 2023, 6:49 pm
    Post #64 - December 11th, 2023, 6:49 pm Post #64 - December 11th, 2023, 6:49 pm
    jnm123 wrote:An immediate reminder, like a slap in the face, that I haven't made this in years, since before Covid for sure. Must get on that, thanks Ron!

I gave it a shot tonight, remembering that I had a nice hunk of artisanal guanciale in the basement fridge . . .

Mise En Place & Tim 'Timos' Johnson 26C3 Swedish Steel Gyuto, 210mm
    White wine (just in case I'd need it for deglazing after rendering the guanciale -- I didn't), crushed San Marzano tomatoes, guanciale, bucatini, red pepper flakes and pecorino romano.

Rendered Guanciale
    Crispy on the outside but still tender and chewy beneath the exterior. Also saved the rendered fat for the building of the sauce/dish. There was a lot of it and I needed just a tiny portion of it to get things going. With all the commentary above -- including the linked video -- there's no reason to chart out the process further. It's quick and very straightforward.

Plated Up
    The family loved this. Me, I thought it was fine but slightly less than the sum of its parts. Not saying it was bad -- and whatever shortcomings I encountered were likely a consequence of user error on my part -- but it didn't rock my world. For me, less is almost always more but in this case, not so much.

I have to try this again. I think I can do better (more guanciale, ditch the bucatini in favor of spaghettoni, etc.). I'll continue to work down my current guanciale stash in the process, which should give me at least one more attempt -- possibly two -- before I decide whether or not to re-up.

=R=
  • Post #65 - December 12th, 2023, 12:53 pm
    Post #65 - December 12th, 2023, 12:53 pm Post #65 - December 12th, 2023, 12:53 pm
    The family loved this. Me, I thought it was fine but slightly less than the sum of its parts. Not saying it was bad -- and whatever shortcomings I encountered were likely a consequence of user error on my part -- but it didn't rock my world. For me, less is almost always more but in this case, not so much.

I have to try this again. I think I can do better (more guanciale, ditch the bucatini in favor of spaghettoni, etc.). I'll continue to work down my current guanciale stash in the process, which should give me at least one more attempt -- possibly two -- before I decide whether or not to re-up.

That's the thing. As with carbonara, few ingredients so it's all about proportion. Amazing how good guanciale can cover & more than make up for any onion, garlic or salt issues. But like you, I'll be tinkering with this forever. I will say when it's right, it's a revelation. Yours looks good, Ron--with less sauce than the video.
  • Post #66 - December 12th, 2023, 1:20 pm
    Post #66 - December 12th, 2023, 1:20 pm Post #66 - December 12th, 2023, 1:20 pm
    jnm123 wrote:That's the thing. As with carbonara, few ingredients so it's all about proportion. Amazing how good guanciale can cover & more than make up for any onion, garlic or salt issues. But like you, I'll be tinkering with this forever. I will say when it's right, it's a revelation. Yours looks good, Ron--with less sauce than the video.

Yeah, way less sauce. Not sure that was the right approach but it's my default with most pasta, so I didn't get in the way of it but next time, who knows?

Definitely one of those minute to learn, lifetime to master kind of dishes. And that's perfectly fine. If there's one place I like to tinker, it's the kitchen. :)

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more