LTH Home

Asian Chips, Japanese Kit-Kats and More

Asian Chips, Japanese Kit-Kats and More
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Asian Chips, Japanese Kit-Kats and More

Post #1 - December 13th, 2023, 2:15 pm
  • Post #2 - December 13th, 2023, 2:29 pm
    Post #2 - December 13th, 2023, 2:29 pm Post #2 - December 13th, 2023, 2:29 pm

Fun! I’m in for Lays Roasted Cumin Lamb Skewer Flavor.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #3 - December 14th, 2023, 10:38 am
    Post #3 - December 14th, 2023, 10:38 am Post #3 - December 14th, 2023, 10:38 am
    Gangnam Market at 1001 W. Chicago Avenue has a very good selection of Kit Kats and various flavors of chips.
  • Post #4 - December 14th, 2023, 11:04 am
    Post #4 - December 14th, 2023, 11:04 am Post #4 - December 14th, 2023, 11:04 am
    deesher wrote:Gangnam Market at 1001 W. Chicago Avenue has a very good selection of Kit Kats and various flavors of chips.

This market has free 90-minute parking though you need to get your ticket endorsed.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #5 - December 14th, 2023, 4:05 pm
    Post #5 - December 14th, 2023, 4:05 pm Post #5 - December 14th, 2023, 4:05 pm

I swear I thought the sign behind the guy said "Erotic Snack," especially with that font and color scheme.

Anyway, this is good to know for an all-in-one-location snack shop. I normally go around Chinatown to find some non-American market flavors. There's a braised chicken feet one by Lay's, I believe, I had a few weeks from 88 Marketplace ago that was pretty good. The cumin lamb ones are okay, as well. Oh, and some interesting Thai flavors, too -- Miang Kham, from looking it up. I also remember a Lay's "Stackers" type of preformed chip (like Pringles) that was black truffle flavored. It was surprisingly not bad. Wasn't as overpowering as I had expected, and one of my young kids loved it. (Which surprised me. My wife, though, hated it.) And the prices at 88 Marketplace are decent. I don't remember paying more than $2-$3 for a bag. But you'll also find places in Chinatown square that have many of these flavors. And you will also find Japanese Kit-Kats there--my kids tell me it was vanilla ice cream flavor we bought on our last trip there.
  • Post #6 - December 15th, 2023, 7:27 am
    Post #6 - December 15th, 2023, 7:27 am Post #6 - December 15th, 2023, 7:27 am
    This post got me thinking. If one plunked a Japanese convenience store, an exact replica of a Japanese convenience store, into downtown Chicago, New York, Seattle. I bet that would go gangbusters.

I’m not talking about some half assed version but an exact replica of Lawson, Family Mart or 7-Eleven. Not unlike when investors put a replica of a Chicago hotdog stand in Tokyo, or was it Dubai.

The cost would be astronomical. I’m not sure it’s practical, actually pretty sure it’s not practical, just a thought.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #7 - December 18th, 2023, 8:22 am
    Post #7 - December 18th, 2023, 8:22 am Post #7 - December 18th, 2023, 8:22 am
    G Wiv wrote:This post got me thinking. If one plunked a Japanese convenience store, an exact replica of a Japanese convenience store, into downtown Chicago, New York, Seattle. I bet that would go gangbusters.

Someone's [sort of] ahead of you. Everything but food/snacks:

https://www.hellotky.com/
  • Post #8 - December 18th, 2023, 8:41 am
    Post #8 - December 18th, 2023, 8:41 am Post #8 - December 18th, 2023, 8:41 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:Someone's [sort of] ahead of you. Everything but food/snacks:

https://www.hellotky.com/

The bride goes to Hello Tokyo for the occasional Knick and Knack on a regular basis. She likes the shop and, when I told her my idea, she mentioned Hello Tokyo.

Its a cool store but, as you mention, not really what I was thinking.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #9 - February 22nd, 2024, 12:15 pm
    Post #9 - February 22nd, 2024, 12:15 pm Post #9 - February 22nd, 2024, 12:15 pm
    Gangnam was running a 4 for $10 deal this week on Asian Lays in a broad range of flavors.
  • Post #10 - February 22nd, 2024, 2:22 pm
    Post #10 - February 22nd, 2024, 2:22 pm Post #10 - February 22nd, 2024, 2:22 pm
    I love so many Asian candies and snacks but my enthusiasm has been tempered greatly due to the prevalence of palm oil. If you care about such things, remember to check the label. If you don't care or aren't married to avoiding all potentially unsustainable palm oil and can find the Tokyo Banana Kit Kat, buy as many as you can.

For products from US companies, the Cheyenne Zoo has an app that's a great resource. For Asian companies, I operate under the assumption they're not using sustainable palm oil unless I find evidence to the contrary. Nestle, the owner of Kit Kat in Japan, has a known bad history when it comes to using sustainable palm oil.

And not to get too off track, but if you have no idea about palm oil and it's impact and why some palm oil is fine/necessary, here's a start.
  • Post #11 - February 23rd, 2024, 2:11 pm
    Post #11 - February 23rd, 2024, 2:11 pm Post #11 - February 23rd, 2024, 2:11 pm
    G Wiv wrote: This post got me thinking. If one plunked a Japanese convenience store, an exact replica of a Japanese convenience store, into downtown Chicago, New York, Seattle. I bet that would go gangbusters.
    I’m not talking about some half assed version but an exact replica of Lawson, Family Mart or 7-Eleven. Not unlike when investors put a replica of a Chicago hotdog stand in Tokyo, or was it Dubai.
    The cost would be astronomical. I’m not sure it’s practical, actually pretty sure it’s not practical, just a thought.
    Well, this could occur. You may have missed the report that Seven & I, the corporation which runs the 7-11 conbinis in Japan, bought the Speedway gas station chain. A number of Speedway locations are having their c-store foodstuffs overhauled to be more like its shops in Japan.
    The snag is that some Speedway shops [e.g.: N. Damen & W. Roscoe - Chicago] do not have enough space to expand its c-store. But one where I refueled in Wood Dale had its new purveyors.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more