LTH Home

What are you making for dinner tonite?

What are you making for dinner tonite?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 99 of 102
  • Post #2941 - February 16th, 2024, 10:40 am
    Post #2941 - February 16th, 2024, 10:40 am Post #2941 - February 16th, 2024, 10:40 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Japanese A5 Wagyu
    Served it with reheated leftovers . . .

And this is why I love you. A5 with reheated leftover sides. :)

Old school for us. Whole lobster, corn, baked potato, cava, and straight to the washing machine for both shirts and tableclothes.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2942 - February 16th, 2024, 10:53 am
    Post #2942 - February 16th, 2024, 10:53 am Post #2942 - February 16th, 2024, 10:53 am
    G Wiv wrote:. . . straight to the washing machine for both shirts and tableclothes.

Now, there's a tradition I can relate to! :lol:

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #2943 - February 16th, 2024, 7:15 pm
    Post #2943 - February 16th, 2024, 7:15 pm Post #2943 - February 16th, 2024, 7:15 pm
    Yeah, it's only mid-February but with winter on its way out (or so they say), I'm trying to work some of our favorite cold-weather dishes into the rotation before they get shelved for the season. To that end, we pulled together this mostly-pantry comfort casserole for dinner tonight . . .

Mise En Place, Kurosaki Shizuku R2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Hot Italian sausage, whole milk ricotta, chihuahua (no mozzarella on hand), yellow onion, Rao's marinara, minced garlic, pecorino romano & parmigiano reggiano (later grated), cracked rosemary, red pepper flakes, chickpea rotini, black pepper, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, red wine and evoo.

Baked Rotini
    375F convection for ~35 minutes, then rested for another 20.

Plated Up
    With a blob of the weekly slaw.

This will probably be the last time for this one until next winter . . . not that there's anything wrong with that! :D

=R=
  • Post #2944 - February 17th, 2024, 9:09 am
    Post #2944 - February 17th, 2024, 9:09 am Post #2944 - February 17th, 2024, 9:09 am
    Popeye is not the only one with mussels.

click to enlarge

Mussels, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2945 - February 17th, 2024, 7:53 pm
    Post #2945 - February 17th, 2024, 7:53 pm Post #2945 - February 17th, 2024, 7:53 pm
    Excellent work there Gary and not at all surprising. When I think of mussels, the first thing that pops in my head is Gary Wiviott!

Gary Wiviott, count me a fan!
  • Post #2946 - February 19th, 2024, 6:21 am
    Post #2946 - February 19th, 2024, 6:21 am Post #2946 - February 19th, 2024, 6:21 am
    Braised beef short ribs on polenta. Inspired by Brian Langstrom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAQQMiQYq3Q&t=1s
  • Post #2947 - February 19th, 2024, 3:22 pm
    Post #2947 - February 19th, 2024, 3:22 pm Post #2947 - February 19th, 2024, 3:22 pm
    Last night was Cathy2's mushroom pelmeni. Steaming: Image

Served with sour cream and applesauce: Image
    Flavorful, al dente pasta, and a great reason to participate in the exchanges at the LTH Sunday dinners. Thanks, Cathy!
  • Post #2948 - February 19th, 2024, 7:31 pm
    Post #2948 - February 19th, 2024, 7:31 pm Post #2948 - February 19th, 2024, 7:31 pm
    All sorts of veggies (some aging, some less so) and a half-gallon of rich/reduced homemade beef stock in the fridge -- along with some pelmeni in the freezer -- all looking for a good home. Decided on a soup . . .

Mise En Place & Munetoshi Kurouchi White #2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Green cabbage, celery, parsley, green bell pepper, carrot, yellow onions/scallions/bay leaves, garlic, beef stock, mini tomatoes, leeks, salt, chuck roast, frozen pelmeni (sadly, just store-bought for me), evoo, tomato paste, zucchini, russet potato and black pepper.

This was a fun prep session. Between the locating, sorting, cleaning, cutting and the 'clean as I went,' it took a little over 30 minutes! That's a lot more time than I usually spend prepping ingredients but this was quite a load. Really glad to have put all of this to use.

Seasoned, flour-dusted and seared off the meat in a dutch oven (after which I removed it temporarily), sweated the mirepoix+, added the tomato paste and let it cook for a couple of minutes. From there, added the stock and a bit of additional water. Added back the meat and let it all simmer for ~90 minutes. Held back the zucchini, potato (in some water) and the pelmeni (back in the freezer) until ~30 minutes before we wanted to eat, then added them. Once they were tender/done, served it up . . .

Plated Up
    With some toasted/buttered Caramelized Onion bread from Loaf Lounge. When I went back to the freezer for the pelmeni, I found an open bag of frozen peas, so I had to chuck a handful in there! :lol:

Happy Monday! :)

=R=
  • Post #2949 - February 19th, 2024, 9:35 pm
    Post #2949 - February 19th, 2024, 9:35 pm Post #2949 - February 19th, 2024, 9:35 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:All sorts of veggies (some aging, some less so) and a half-gallon of rich/reduced homemade beef stock in the fridge -- along with some pelmeni in the freezer -- all looking for a good home. Decided on a soup . . .

Green cabbage, celery, parsley, green bell pepper, carrot, yellow onions/scallions, garlic, beef stock, mini tomatoes, leeks, salt, chuck roast, frozen pelmeni (sadly, just store-bought for me), evoo, tomato paste, zucchini, russet potato and black pepper.

This was a fun prep session. Between the locating, sorting, cleaning, cutting and the 'clean as I went,' it took a little over 30 minutes! That's a lot more time than I usually spend prepping ingredients but this was quite a load. Really glad to have put all of this to use.

Seasoned, flour-dusted and seared off the meat in a dutch oven (after which I removed it temporarily), sweated the mirepoix+, added the tomato paste and let it cook for a couple of minutes. From there, added the stock and a bit of additional water. Added back the meat and let it all simmer for ~90 minutes. Held back the zucchini, potato (in some water) and the pelmeni (back in the freezer) until ~30 minutes before we wanted to eat, then added them. Once they were tender/done, served it up . . .

Plated Up
    With some toasted/buttered Caramelized Onion bread from Loaf Lounge. When I went back to the freezer for the pelmeni, I found an open bag of frozen peas, so I had to chuck a handful in there! :lol:

=R=

No way I could set that up in 30+ minutes. You’re a stud!
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #2950 - February 19th, 2024, 11:30 pm
    Post #2950 - February 19th, 2024, 11:30 pm Post #2950 - February 19th, 2024, 11:30 pm
    Evil Ronnie wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:All sorts of veggies (some aging, some less so) and a half-gallon of rich/reduced homemade beef stock in the fridge -- along with some pelmeni in the freezer -- all looking for a good home. Decided on a soup . . .

Green cabbage, celery, parsley, green bell pepper, carrot, yellow onions/scallions, garlic, beef stock, mini tomatoes, leeks, salt, chuck roast, frozen pelmeni (sadly, just store-bought for me), evoo, tomato paste, zucchini, russet potato and black pepper.

Plated Up

=R=

Ha! I was hacking away pretty good but I'm sure you'd be way quicker than me with one hand tied behind your back! I'm just a home cook who rarely has to even try to be accurate or precise.

=R=
  • Post #2951 - February 19th, 2024, 11:59 pm
    Post #2951 - February 19th, 2024, 11:59 pm Post #2951 - February 19th, 2024, 11:59 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Evil Ronnie wrote:

Plated Up

=R=

Ha! I was hacking away pretty good but I'm sure you'd be way quicker than me with one hand tied behind your back! I'm just a home cook who rarely has to even try to be accurate or precise.

=R=

Dude, you have some serious cooking chops, not to mention knowledge of food! Keep pushing.
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #2952 - February 21st, 2024, 7:41 pm
    Post #2952 - February 21st, 2024, 7:41 pm Post #2952 - February 21st, 2024, 7:41 pm
    Evil Ronnie wrote:Dude, you have some serious cooking chops, not to mention knowledge of food! Keep pushing.

I don't know how you Pros do it. I have the extreme luxury of only cooking when I want to. I do like to push myself every so often but I know I almost never have to. I have such admiration for you Professionals. You gotta throw down even when you may not be feeling it 100%.

Late start for me tonight but I knew it was coming, so I held back a couple of vacuum-packed ribeyes from my trip to Zier's last week. I also had plenty of leftoverages on hand . . .

Ribeyes Grilling

Plated Up
    With leftover/reheated rice and mushrooms, and a blob of the weekly slaw. Separated the cap and the eye, then sliced them up and hit them with some Maldon flake salt. Rice sprinkled with some gochugaru, which ended up providing a nice note.

=R=
  • Post #2953 - February 21st, 2024, 8:43 pm
    Post #2953 - February 21st, 2024, 8:43 pm Post #2953 - February 21st, 2024, 8:43 pm
    I feel like someone is showing some extra love to the fresh mushroom area of Fresh Farms Niles of late. This week, not only did the oyster and shiitakes look great, there were pristine King oysters as well. I couldn't resist.

Combo of oyster, shiitake, & King oyster

Made a pasta tonight of pappardelle, mushrooms, garlic, hazelnuts, fresh thyme, oven-roasted Tuscan kale, and goat cheese. Can't see a lot of the ingredients, but best pic I could do...

They have also had maitake and really good looking enoki lately.
  • Post #2954 - February 22nd, 2024, 5:48 am
    Post #2954 - February 22nd, 2024, 5:48 am Post #2954 - February 22nd, 2024, 5:48 am
    LynnB wrote:I feel like someone is showing some extra love to the fresh mushroom area of Fresh Farms Niles of late. This week, not only did the oyster and shiitakes look great, there were pristine King oysters as well.

I use to buy all my mushrooms at Fresh Farms Wheeling. But since they discontinued their bulk mushrooms and only sell packaged ones, I stopped buying them there. Now when I need mushrooms, I have to travel to Fresh Farms Golf.
  • Post #2955 - February 22nd, 2024, 11:58 am
    Post #2955 - February 22nd, 2024, 11:58 am Post #2955 - February 22nd, 2024, 11:58 am
    Pot Stickers and AgiDashiDofu.

click to enlarge

AgiDashiDofu, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2956 - February 22nd, 2024, 12:03 pm
    Post #2956 - February 22nd, 2024, 12:03 pm Post #2956 - February 22nd, 2024, 12:03 pm
    lougord99 wrote:
    LynnB wrote:I feel like someone is showing some extra love to the fresh mushroom area of Fresh Farms Niles of late. This week, not only did the oyster and shiitakes look great, there were pristine King oysters as well.

I use to buy all my mushrooms at Fresh Farms Wheeling. But since they discontinued their bulk mushrooms and only sell packaged ones, I stopped buying them there. Now when I need mushrooms, I have to travel to Fresh Farms Golf.

Yeah, they totally nerfed the mushrooms at the Wheeling store. Not only is bulk gone but the packaged stuff rarely looks good at all. Happily, the Touhy store is very close to my office.

G Wiv wrote:Pot Stickers and AgiDashiDofu.

Yessir, Senator! :D

=R=
  • Post #2957 - February 25th, 2024, 7:09 pm
    Post #2957 - February 25th, 2024, 7:09 pm Post #2957 - February 25th, 2024, 7:09 pm
    Back on my mission to cook -- while there's still time -- some dishes I tend to only make in cold weather. Being nearly 60F here today, it was a bit unsettling. In any case, this is a great one that I don't do often enough: Northern Chinese-style cumin lamb. First step here is cutting up the lamb and soaking it in a 'tea' of water, sliced ginger and Szechuan peppercorns . . .

Lamb Mise En Place & Tojiro DP Gokujo Boning Knife, 150mm
    Everything but the 2 cups of boiled water: sliced ginger, lamb chunks (cut down from shoulder chops) and Szechuan peppercorns.

Bring the water to a boil, kill the heat, toss in the ginger, peppercorns and lamb. Stir it around and let for ~15 minutes or until it cools off. Once that's done, strain it, dry off the lamb and prep everything else for the stir-fry . . .

Lamb Mise En Place & Sukenari HAP40 Gyuto, 210mm
    Pork stock, toasted/ground Szechuan peppercorns, broken cumin seeds, Kashmiri chili powder, red onion, 'bathed' lamb, lamb fat, salt, dried/seeded heaven-facing chiles, mostly-seeded and de-ribbed jalapenos, and cilantro.

The method/recipe I've settled on is a hodgepodge from a few different sources. One of them calls for rendering a bit of lamb fat to start the cook. I like that concept and after I prepped the lamb, there was enough fat leftover to make it happen. Like many (most?) stir-fries, once the prep is set, it comes together very quickly.

Northern Chinese-Style Cumin Lamb

Plated Up
    With homemade kkakdugi made by a friend's mom, and some jasmine rice.

=R=
  • Post #2958 - February 26th, 2024, 7:37 pm
    Post #2958 - February 26th, 2024, 7:37 pm Post #2958 - February 26th, 2024, 7:37 pm
    Never mind that it was 70F here today. :shock: I'm continuing on, at least in part, with my cold weather cooking. When I bought the ingredients for spinach-feta casserole a few days ago, there was snow on the ground. Today, not so much. First step, prep some of the non-spinach ingredients . . .

Mushroom Mise En Place & Blanc Creatives 1095 Chef Knive, 8"
    Yellow onion, minced garlic, white creminis, evoo, red wine, black pepper, salt and dried oregano.

This stuff all gets cooked down before the final dish is assembled for baking

Mise En Place & Sukenari HAP40 Gyuto, 210mm
    Greek yogurt, minced garlic (used very little of this), lemon (for juice) sauteed mushrooms/onions, wilted/squeezed spinach, fresh dill weed, 'Merikan feta, Greek feta, evoo, black pepper, salt and dried oregano.

Once all mixed together, this went into an oval baker and into the oven at 350F for about an hour, covered for the first 30 minutes and uncovered for the duration. While it was baking, it was time to hit the grill . . .

Flank Steak Grilling
    As flank steaks go, this was a big boy, nearly 2 pounds.

Spinach-Feta Casserole
    While the grilled steak rested, I pulled the casserole out of the oven.

Plated Up
    With leftover/reheated jasmine rice.

There was some exciting off-camera drama here, just after this shot was taken. As I was messing with the camera, I somehow managed to detach the lens from the body. Mid-shot it fell and went crashing into the flank steak. Luckily, it landed lens hood first, directly on a slice of steak, which padded its fall. That drained some adrenaline I didn't even know I had. A little bit of clean-up and it all seems none the worse for wear (or user error). :lol:

=R=
  • Post #2959 - February 26th, 2024, 8:11 pm
    Post #2959 - February 26th, 2024, 8:11 pm Post #2959 - February 26th, 2024, 8:11 pm
    couple of recent NYT adventures that were both good:

slow cooker chicken artichoke spinach stew - hits that key technique of using brightness to combat slow cooking - lots of lemon, red chili flake, and fresh herbs

spaghetti with bacon and red onions (recent eric kim, who i find underwhelming generally) - a surprising technique of roasting the bacon and onions on a sheet pan in the oven for along time, deglazing of sorts with sweeth vermouth, and then marrying with pasta water and parm. not bad for hands off cooking
  • Post #2960 - February 26th, 2024, 8:28 pm
    Post #2960 - February 26th, 2024, 8:28 pm Post #2960 - February 26th, 2024, 8:28 pm
    annak wrote:spaghetti with bacon and red onions (recent eric kim, who i find underwhelming generally) - a surprising technique of roasting the bacon and onions on a sheet pan in the oven for along time, deglazing of sorts with sweeth vermouth, and then marrying with pasta water and parm. not bad for hands off cooking

Yeah, I enjoy his videos but I almost never feel inspired to make what he made.

=R=
  • Post #2961 - February 28th, 2024, 12:57 pm
    Post #2961 - February 28th, 2024, 12:57 pm Post #2961 - February 28th, 2024, 12:57 pm
    A friend gifted me a bottle of really wonderful Takesan soy sauce.

Deep, balanced, and the flavors seemed more intense and lingered. Reminded me of high-end soy sauce I had with high-end sashimi a bunch of years ago.

Perfect with potstickers.

Thanks for the nice surprise!

Click to enlarge

Soy, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2962 - February 28th, 2024, 7:19 pm
    Post #2962 - February 28th, 2024, 7:19 pm Post #2962 - February 28th, 2024, 7:19 pm
    chicken bread! so simple and divine. with a roast cauliflower-parsley-scallion-date salad in bright lemon vin.
  • Post #2963 - February 28th, 2024, 7:53 pm
    Post #2963 - February 28th, 2024, 7:53 pm Post #2963 - February 28th, 2024, 7:53 pm
    Had a plan to make misoyaki sea bass and I did -- but we were surprised by the arrival of some additional mouths to feed, so I had to adjust. Luckily (I guess), my brother recently gifted me a box of meat. Actually, I can't think of a more appropriate gift for myself but the box contained some items that are not usually my bag, like filet mignon and boneless skinless chicken breast. There were also some burgers, some skinless hot dogs, a few very lean looking bone-in pork chops and something I'd never heard of before, baseball steaks (looked it up: a thick, circular cut taken from the upper portion of sirloin) which -- along with one of the chicken breasts, already butterflied -- are what I ended up adding to the menu. So, snark as I may, in the end, having the extra protein on hand came in quite handy tonight.

The meal started -- well before we knew we'd have joiners -- with an overnight marinade of the sea bass . . .

Misoyaki Mise En Place
    Mirin, miso, sake, granulated sugar and sea bass. Mixed these all together and marinated the fish in it (zip-top baggie overnight).

Mixed Grilling
    Baseball steaks and chicken breast. Not my happiest grill ever, lol. While the steaks rested, I broiled the sea bass . . .

Misoyaki Sea Bass
    This only took about 8 minutes, which was a perfect fit for the steak-resting interval.

Plated Up
    Mixed grill with leftover/reheated spinach-feta casserole and some leftover/reheated gigantes from Psistaria.

=R=
  • Post #2964 - March 1st, 2024, 7:27 pm
    Post #2964 - March 1st, 2024, 7:27 pm Post #2964 - March 1st, 2024, 7:27 pm
    Tonight, a quick but satisfying cheater version of chicken parmesan. For this version, I season and pan-sear boneless/skinless chicken thighs and use jarred sauce. It's not quite as wonderful as a breaded/fried chicken and homemade sauce but it comes together fast, and cleans up easy, both of which I appreciated today because I was at my desk until much later than I thought I'd be . . .

Mise En Place & Yu Kurosaki VG10 Fujin Petty, 120mm
    Chihuahua (not as melty as mozzarella but I'm still working through a Costco-sized bag of this stuff), hand-grated parmigiano reggiano & pecorino romano, seared chicken thighs, Rao's marinara, evoo, granulated garlic/onion, dried oregano, black pepper and salt. Chicken, sauce and cheese went into a casserole and baked at 400F for about 15 minutes, after which I broiled it for another 3 minutes.

As for side-dishery, went right down the middle of the fairway . . .

Zucchini Mise En Place & Kagekiyo Blue #1 Gyuto, 210mm
    Salt, roasted red peppers (leftover/open jar), zucchini, white wine, evoo, black pepper and minced garlic. A very hot saute and then I tossed the strips of red pepper in at the very end.

Sauteed Zucchini
    Really glad I added the roasted pepper. Originally packed in vinegar, it added a nice punch.

Plated Up
    With a toasted/buttered slab of Rosemary-Polenta bread from Loaf Lounge.

=R=
  • Post #2965 - March 3rd, 2024, 12:42 am
    Post #2965 - March 3rd, 2024, 12:42 am Post #2965 - March 3rd, 2024, 12:42 am
    First up . . .

Mini Cucumbers, Salt & Kagekiyo Blue #1 Gyuto, 210mm
    Starting a spicy-sweet Korean-style cucumber salad for dinner later in week.

Friends coming over for dinner and I know a couple of them really like soup. I like soup, too and I also really enjoy getting rid of vegetables. So, in addition to some grilled meat items -- again, from the box of gifted meats -- and a batch of veg-spiked quinoa, I decided to make a pot of broccoli soup . . .

Mise En Place & Kagekiyo Blue #1 Gyuto, 210mm
    Evoo, broccoli, celery, chopped garlic, carrot/bay leaves, heavy cream (wasn't sure if I'd end up using this or not), homemade chicken stock, dried/seeded heaven-facing chiles, yellow onion, salt and black pepper.

Sweated the mirepoix and the garlic in evoo, after which I added the broccoli and let it soften. Once it was there, I added the stock, the chiles and the bay leaves. From there, I covered it, let it simmer and once it was all very soft, and after I removed the bay leaves, I hit it with the stick blender and touched up the seasoning. It was still a bit fibrous, so I ladled it -- in two shifts -- into the blender. That did the trick. Nice and smooth. From there, back onto the stove top for some more simmering. I let it reduce and re-seasoned it. Still not quite where I wanted it, I decided that adding some of the cream made sense. It brought everything together and added some richness and some sweetness that balanced everything out.

In the meantime, back to that box of gifted meats . . .

Mixed Grilling
    Running the gamut, filet mignon and skinless hot dogs. Was worried that 4 steaks wouldn't be quite enough for the group, so we threw the dogs on just in case. Once off the grill, while the steaks rested, we had some soup . . .

Broccoli Soup
    With creme fraiche and chives. After this, there was a really nice salad course made/brought by one of our guests.

Later, the main event . . .

Plated Up
    Filet mignon, hot dog (with homemade sauerkraut) and quinoa spiked with sauteed bok choy & onion. Abject silliness but a fun picture. My wife and I ended up splitting both of these meat offerings.

=R=
  • Post #2966 - March 3rd, 2024, 6:56 pm
    Post #2966 - March 3rd, 2024, 6:56 pm Post #2966 - March 3rd, 2024, 6:56 pm
    My plan to cook some cold weather dishes before winter ends is going well . . . except for the fact that winter seems to have vanished. As you all know, it's been eerily warm here lately. Today it was damned near 70F, which is totally insane. I actually have some windows open and the ceiling fans on. Crazy. In any case, this will probably be the last time meatloaf makes an appearance until next winter . . .

Meatloaf Mise En Place
    Panko, seasoning plate (salt, black pepper, granulated garlic & onion, dried/ground shiitake mushrooms), ground beef & pork, eggs, sauteed onion and milk.
    Be not alarmed by that strip of brightness on the left side of the screen. It's known as sunlight! :lol:

Normally, I throw some sauteed mushrooms in too but I forgot to buy them, so I went with the shiitake powder, which has worked well in my turkey burger recipe and which worked well here. Made a panade with the panko and milk, then mixed everything else together and baked it free-form, for maximum exterior crustiness . . .

Free-Form Meatloaf
    350F convection roast for ~1 hour (then onto some arugula, which someone would eat later in their salad).

Plated Up
    With a pan sauce made from the drippings, some leftover/reheated veg-spiked quinoa and 2 salads: spicy-sweet cucumber and lettuce/arugula with shallot vinaigrette.

=R=
  • Post #2967 - March 4th, 2024, 8:52 am
    Post #2967 - March 4th, 2024, 8:52 am Post #2967 - March 4th, 2024, 8:52 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:My plan to cook some cold weather dishes before winter ends is going well . . . except for the fact that winter seems to have vanished. As you all know, it's been eerily warm here lately. Today it was damned near 70F, which is totally insane. I actually have some windows open and the ceiling fans on. Crazy. In any case, this will probably be the last time meatloaf makes an appearance until next winter . . .

Meatloaf Mise En Place
    Panko, seasoning plate (salt, black pepper, granulated garlic & onion, dried/ground shiitake mushrooms), ground beef & pork, eggs, sauteed onion and milk.
    Be not alarmed by that strip of brightness on the left side of the screen. It's known as sunlight! :lol:

Normally, I throw some sauteed mushrooms in too but I forgot to buy them, so I went with the shiitake powder, which has worked well in my turkey burger recipe and which worked well here. Made a panade with the panko and milk, then mixed everything else together and baked it free-form, for maximum exterior crustiness . . .

Free-Form Meatloaf
    350F convection roast for ~1 hour (then onto some arugula, which someone would eat later in their salad).

Plated Up
    With a pan sauce made from the drippings, some leftover/reheated veg-spiked quinoa and 2 salads: spicy-sweet cucumber and lettuce/arugula with shallot vinaigrette.

=R=

i've never made a meatloaf that wasn't heavily coated with ketchup/bbq sauce...but yours looks good, too.
  • Post #2968 - March 4th, 2024, 11:23 am
    Post #2968 - March 4th, 2024, 11:23 am Post #2968 - March 4th, 2024, 11:23 am
    justjoan wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:. . .In any case, this will probably be the last time meatloaf makes an appearance until next winter . . .

i've never made a meatloaf that wasn't heavily coated with ketchup/bbq sauce...but yours looks good, too.

Thanks, Joan. As I see it, there are 2 schools on meatloaf: the tomatoey/ketchup/bbq sauce school and the brown gravy school. I've always been in the latter.

=R=
  • Post #2969 - March 4th, 2024, 7:19 pm
    Post #2969 - March 4th, 2024, 7:19 pm Post #2969 - March 4th, 2024, 7:19 pm
    Normally, when I make a recipe for the first time, I try to follow it exactly and adjust, if necessary, on subsequent attempts. This recipe for pad kee mao with pork was an exception. It called for stir-frying some completely unseasoned pork. That raised a red flag for me. The recipe was pretty sparse to begin with (no descriptions on slice sizes or shapes), so I figured taking a few liberties was a-okay.

After I deboned and sliced up a couple of pork chops (from the aforementioned box of gifted meat), I marinated them in a touch of dark/sweet soy, dark soy, fish sauce, Golden Mountain and corn starch. Another adjustment was more out of necessity than anything else. I thought I had some wide rice noodles but I didn't, so I used rice sticks (aka pad thai noodles) instead . . .

Mise En Place & Tsunehisa Nami AUS10 Gyuto 210mm
    Avocado oil, corn starch, arugula (recipe simply called for "fresh greens" and this was all I had), stand-in rice sticks (some soaking out of frame), MSG, dark soy sauce, fish sauce, scallions, sliced pork, Thai chile powder, dark/sweet soy sauce, Golden Mountain, yellow onion, Thai bird eye chiles, palm sugar, and minced ginger.

Pad Kee Mao Pork (sort of) ;)

Plated Up
    With some spicy-sweet cucumber salad. I plan on getting some wide rice noodles asap and giving this another go in the near future.

=R=
  • Post #2970 - March 4th, 2024, 9:59 pm
    Post #2970 - March 4th, 2024, 9:59 pm Post #2970 - March 4th, 2024, 9:59 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Thanks, Joan. As I see it, there are 2 schools on meatloaf: the tomatoey/ketchup/bbq sauce school and the brown gravy school. I've always been in the latter.

=R=

My mother's was neither, just a big lump of overcooked baked ground beef, which is why I've never made one (but have made meatballs, kofte, keftedes, kefte, polpette...)
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more