LTH Home

Bread-making and -breaking

Bread-making and -breaking
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 8 
  • Post #211 - April 13th, 2024, 3:18 pm
    Post #211 - April 13th, 2024, 3:18 pm Post #211 - April 13th, 2024, 3:18 pm
    lougord99 wrote:
    jilter wrote:I have never made bread. I want to know how and am fearful of the process. Going to take bread making 101 this weekend at Bettie’s Chicago. I hope it tempers my anxiety around kneading and proofing.

    Remember that the absolute worst thing you can do is make a bad loaf of bread and learn something. There is nothing to be fearful about.

    I agree with Lou. Really curious how this went. Please, let us know.

    Earlier today I made my first attempt at Japanese-style milk bread . . .

    Image
    Milk Bread
    Compared to what I've bought in the past and seen online, it looks pretty close. Smells great. Won't know for sure until I cut it open later.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #212 - April 14th, 2024, 4:00 pm
    Post #212 - April 14th, 2024, 4:00 pm Post #212 - April 14th, 2024, 4:00 pm
    Milk bread turned out really well, especially for it being the first time. I used 50/50 bread and AP flour. The result was nice mix mix between tender/fluffy and pull-apart. The innate sweetness of the bread was a perfect foil for the sharpness of some pimento cheese we made as part of our annual Masters golf tournament tradition . . .

    Image
    Masters Weekend Pimento Cheese Sandwiches
    Home-baked milk bread. This bread is definitely going in the rotation.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #213 - April 22nd, 2024, 7:38 pm
    Post #213 - April 22nd, 2024, 7:38 pm Post #213 - April 22nd, 2024, 7:38 pm
    I tried a new English Muffin recipe today - I'm pretty happy with these! We will see how they stand up in a sandwich tomorrow :)

    This is Tom Douglas' recipe from the Dahlia Bakery cookbook. They are baked entirely in the oven. These are great, but I think I may try a recipe that's cooked on the stove top before I abandon this project.

    After shaping - before rising:
    Image

    Fresh out of the oven:
    Image

    First slice (yum):
    Image
  • Post #214 - April 22nd, 2024, 9:00 pm
    Post #214 - April 22nd, 2024, 9:00 pm Post #214 - April 22nd, 2024, 9:00 pm
    zorkmead wrote:I tried a new English Muffin recipe today - I'm pretty happy with these! We will see how they stand up in a sandwich tomorrow :)

    This is Tom Douglas' recipe from the Dahlia Bakery cookbook. They are baked entirely in the oven. These are great, but I think I may try a recipe that's cooked on the stove top before I abandon this project.

    Wow, those look great. Seems every English muffin recipe I've seen lately calls for griddle cooking but the color and texture on your oven-baked batch looks perfect.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #215 - April 24th, 2024, 9:20 am
    Post #215 - April 24th, 2024, 9:20 am Post #215 - April 24th, 2024, 9:20 am
    For those who are interested and don't have the book, Dahlia Bakery's English muffins are featured on many a recipe blog. Here's one with a Chicago connection: https://www.lottieanddoof.com/2013/03/english-muffins/

    Perhaps the most interesting and unique thing is that they are potato breads.
  • Post #216 - April 24th, 2024, 1:30 pm
    Post #216 - April 24th, 2024, 1:30 pm Post #216 - April 24th, 2024, 1:30 pm
    I agree on the potato - they are the only English muffin recipe I've seen that is a potato bread. While I was working with the dough I had serious doubts about leaving the potato unpeeled - but the bits of peel aren't noticeable in the finished muffins.

    The other thing I thought was interesting is that they didn't call for any fat (neither butter nor oil) or milk so they are leaner then the other recipes I've seen.

    I don't get the shaping instructions from the recipe (even after trying it).

    I think I may try either the King Arthur, or Peter Reinhart's recipe next to satisfy my curiosity - but I like these a lot. They make an excellent egg sandwich!
  • Post #217 - April 24th, 2024, 1:36 pm
    Post #217 - April 24th, 2024, 1:36 pm Post #217 - April 24th, 2024, 1:36 pm
    OK - I just noticed that my book says to leave the potato unpeeled and the first step in the blog post linked above says to peel the potato! :)

    The blog post also doesn't have the confusing shaping instructions that are in the book.
  • Post #218 - April 24th, 2024, 3:29 pm
    Post #218 - April 24th, 2024, 3:29 pm Post #218 - April 24th, 2024, 3:29 pm
    tjr wrote:For those who are interested and don't have the book, Dahlia Bakery's English muffins are featured on many a recipe blog. Here's one with a Chicago connection: https://www.lottieanddoof.com/2013/03/english-muffins/

    Perhaps the most interesting and unique thing is that they are potato breads.

    i might try this as the recipe that came with my english muffins rings is not worth making again...i was able to send this to myself as a text message, but as an email there was no text....dont know what that means...
  • Post #219 - May 14th, 2024, 2:29 pm
    Post #219 - May 14th, 2024, 2:29 pm Post #219 - May 14th, 2024, 2:29 pm
    justjoan wrote:i might try this as the recipe that came with my english muffins rings is not worth making again...i was able to send this to myself as a text message, but as an email there was no text....dont know what that means...


    I'd love to hear how it goes if you try it!

    I've decided to try English Muffins at least one more time. The current plan is to try the Peter Reinhart recipe from 'The Bread Baker's Apprentice'; his recipe starts in a pan and finishes in the oven. I'm hoping to get to it next week.
  • Post #220 - May 14th, 2024, 2:42 pm
    Post #220 - May 14th, 2024, 2:42 pm Post #220 - May 14th, 2024, 2:42 pm
    I made this Anadama bread for Sunday morning breakfast. Apparently Anadama bread is from New England. It's a white yeasted bread with cornmeal and molasses. I found recipes for kneaded and shaped bread and batter bread recipes. I made two kneaded and shaped loaves:

    Image

    The bread turned out nice and soft in the middle with a distinct molasses taste. The cornmeal didn't come through as much as I thought it might, but it is definitely there. It toasts beautifully. It seems like it would be the perfect bread for some type of sandwich, but I'm not just sure what type of sandwich that would be :)
  • Post #221 - May 15th, 2024, 9:30 am
    Post #221 - May 15th, 2024, 9:30 am Post #221 - May 15th, 2024, 9:30 am
    zorkmead wrote:It seems like it would be the perfect bread for some type of sandwich, but I'm not just sure what type of sandwich that would be :)
    Peanut butter? Other nut butter? My recollection is that Anadama is both fairly sweet and not particularly durable.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more