LTH Home

LTH Picnic recipes (2006)

LTH Picnic recipes (2006)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - October 8th, 2006, 5:48 pm
    Post #31 - October 8th, 2006, 5:48 pm Post #31 - October 8th, 2006, 5:48 pm
    Is Durian the fruit that Tony Bourdain talked about once on his show?

Ramon, thank you so much for posting the Goi Gai recipe! I look forward to trying it out soon.
  • Post #32 - October 9th, 2006, 6:28 pm
    Post #32 - October 9th, 2006, 6:28 pm Post #32 - October 9th, 2006, 6:28 pm
    Yes; the one that looks like a giant chestnut shell. I had a Durian bubble tea the other day, and can attest that Bourdain's assessment that one's person is made stinky for the next several hours is true (according, very explicitly, to the Uberspouse and Sparky) I'd try it again for fun (I don't think I got the true experience from a flavored smoothie) but I'd want to be sure I was alone for the weekend.
  • Post #33 - October 9th, 2006, 9:03 pm
    Post #33 - October 9th, 2006, 9:03 pm Post #33 - October 9th, 2006, 9:03 pm
    I was just reading about Durian the other day. Here is a quote that stood out: "Aromatically speaking, it's a bit like eating and having sex and going to the bathroom all at the same time, if that's the kind of thing that you're into."
  • Post #34 - October 13th, 2006, 4:51 pm
    Post #34 - October 13th, 2006, 4:51 pm Post #34 - October 13th, 2006, 4:51 pm
    After pondering the question for a while, I've decided that I have modified the potato salad in "Bistro Cooking" enough to feel alright about posting my version of the recipe and not fretting about violating any legalities.

1 1/2 lbs. small red potatoes, skin on, scrubbed well
    1/2 C. extra virgin olive oil
    4 T tarragon vinegar [I use my home-made, which is fresh tarragon, black peppercorns & a garlic clove or two infused in cider vinegar.]
    2 T dry vermouth [I often substitute vermouth for small quantites of white wine.]
    Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    2 large shallots, finely minced
    chopped fresh Italian flat parsley; about 1/2 cup

Steam potatoes until done.

As soon as they are cool enough to handle, cut them into largeish bite-sized pieces. Pour the vinegar, olive oil, vermouth over the cut potatoes, add salt and pepper. Allow the potatoes to marinate at room temperature for at least half an hour. If you are going to refrigerate the potato salad, don't do it right away.

Just before serving, add the parsley and shallots. They're tastier still crunchy. If you want to cut a corner, sprinkle them on top of the potatoes after they've cooled to room temperature, but don't mix them in until just before serving.

Serve at room temp.

I love to bring this to picnics because it can sit out for quite a while with little worry. [If you abuse this and let it sit out forever, don't come blaming me... use some discretion.] It is particularly nice with grilled meats and sausages.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #35 - December 13th, 2006, 10:09 am
    Post #35 - December 13th, 2006, 10:09 am Post #35 - December 13th, 2006, 10:09 am
    I know this is a really late question, but I loved one of the hot dogs that someone brought and grilled. They were big and red, probably red hots. But I don't think they were Vienna beef (that means Kosher, right?). They were so fatty, they had to have had some pork product in it. Anyone know which ones I mean? If so, what are they called, and where can I get them (either from a hot dog stand or frozen at a supply store)?

I've gone to a couple of hot dog stands in search of a similar dog, ones that advertise red hots, only to find that they serve a teeny all-beef dog that is not red. :? (There was one night when Jimthebeerguy went to three different hot dog stands, starting in Skokie and ending in Lincoln Square...now that was an experience!)
    "Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you want and let the food fight it out inside."
    -Mark Twain
  • Post #36 - December 13th, 2006, 10:27 am
    Post #36 - December 13th, 2006, 10:27 am Post #36 - December 13th, 2006, 10:27 am
    HI,

I am wondering if it was SteveZ's contribution of 4 per pound Vienna hot dogs with natural casing he obtained from Elegance in Meat? According to Steve, these can be purchased by the piece.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #37 - December 13th, 2006, 10:38 am
    Post #37 - December 13th, 2006, 10:38 am Post #37 - December 13th, 2006, 10:38 am
    You can also pick up the 1/4lb natural casing viennas at the Vienna Beef factory store, also by the piece, if that's more convenient.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #38 - December 13th, 2006, 11:00 am
    Post #38 - December 13th, 2006, 11:00 am Post #38 - December 13th, 2006, 11:00 am
    Wow, so they were Vienna beefs? The Vienna beefs I've been seeing at the hot dog stands were either tiny or tasteless. :( Maybe I'll try out that store...and thanks for the link!
    "Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you want and let the food fight it out inside."
    -Mark Twain
  • Post #39 - December 13th, 2006, 11:34 am
    Post #39 - December 13th, 2006, 11:34 am Post #39 - December 13th, 2006, 11:34 am
    Saint Pizza wrote:Wow, so they were Vienna beefs? The Vienna beefs I've been seeing at the hot dog stands were either tiny or tasteless. :( Maybe I'll try out that store...and thanks for the link!

The 4/lb hot dogs that I brought tend to have a little more garlic than the run of the mill 8 - 10/lb dogs served at most hot dog stands. Also, the tasteless ones you get at many stands may be skinless, rather than natural casing Viennas. They sell both kinds. Choose your hot dog stand carefully.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #40 - July 5th, 2008, 2:01 am
    Post #40 - July 5th, 2008, 2:01 am Post #40 - July 5th, 2008, 2:01 am
    Ramon wrote:Goi Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Salad – as interpreted by Ramon)

I make no claim to particular knowledge or authenticity. This is merely me trying to make something I had in Little Vietnam from a post here.
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Image
    Ramon's goi ga by jygach

jygach seems startled by the paparazzi

Ronnie_suburban's great photos from the LTHForum 1,000-Recipe Potluck, June 22, 2008, appear here and here, including shots of Ramon's goi ga, as prepared by jygach. Jygach also commented on making the dish.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more