LTH Home

Intriguing no-knead bread

Intriguing no-knead bread
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 6 
  • Post #151 - May 5th, 2021, 4:03 pm
    Post #151 - May 5th, 2021, 4:03 pm Post #151 - May 5th, 2021, 4:03 pm
    lougord99 wrote:I would agree that parchment paper is the way to go.

And make sure to get a brand that won't stick. Not all brands share this attribute.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #152 - May 5th, 2021, 4:21 pm
    Post #152 - May 5th, 2021, 4:21 pm Post #152 - May 5th, 2021, 4:21 pm
    Interesting.

I use parchment paper for 2 main things. I cook my bread on it and I cook my pizza on it ( I almost gave up cooking pizza until I discovered parchment paper ).

I usually get Reynolds brand parchment paper, but I have had others. I have never found a difference. My current Reynolds brand doesn't say anywhere " won't stick ".

I'm not clear what you mean by your statement.
  • Post #153 - May 5th, 2021, 4:45 pm
    Post #153 - May 5th, 2021, 4:45 pm Post #153 - May 5th, 2021, 4:45 pm
    chicagojim wrote:Every bone in my body wants to resist dumping dough right into an ungreased hot dutch over, but that appears to be the case right?

That would be the original method, yes (drop in Dutch oven naked). I used to use parchment paper with pizza, too, but I've gotten proficient with the peel over the years, so I just go straight from dough > stone via the peel. (The peel senses fear -- you have to be confident in your motion.) It's not that hard to do with bread dough, but it does feel a bit awkward. The parchment paper is foolproof, in my experience (I've never had any issues with any brands sticking myself, so maybe I've been lucky. I generally buy whatever the cheapest brand is.)
  • Post #154 - May 5th, 2021, 6:06 pm
    Post #154 - May 5th, 2021, 6:06 pm Post #154 - May 5th, 2021, 6:06 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Interesting.

I use parchment paper for 2 main things. I cook my bread on it and I cook my pizza on it ( I almost gave up cooking pizza until I discovered parchment paper ).

I usually get Reynolds brand parchment paper, but I have had others. I have never found a difference. My current Reynolds brand doesn't say anywhere " won't stick ".

I'm not clear what you mean by your statement.

They're not all created equally. Some stick, at least on dutch oven bread applications . . . badly. You likely have a brand that doesn't. I didn't think this was a thing but it is and I learned it the hard way. :(

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #155 - October 23rd, 2022, 10:20 pm
    Post #155 - October 23rd, 2022, 10:20 pm Post #155 - October 23rd, 2022, 10:20 pm
    Better No-Knead Bread Recipe
    Improved technique and even better flavor.
    by J. Kenji López-Alt, Updated Jul. 20, 2022

Among other tweaks, after rising over night, the dough is refrigerated for three days to improve its flavor and handling.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #156 - October 24th, 2022, 8:04 pm
    Post #156 - October 24th, 2022, 8:04 pm Post #156 - October 24th, 2022, 8:04 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Better No-Knead Bread Recipe
    Improved technique and even better flavor.
    by J. Kenji López-Alt, Updated Jul. 20, 2022

Among other tweaks, after rising over night, the dough is refrigerated for three days to improve its flavor and handling.

Regards,
    CAthy2

Agreed - the JKLA method is far superior.
  • Post #157 - October 27th, 2022, 5:41 am
    Post #157 - October 27th, 2022, 5:41 am Post #157 - October 27th, 2022, 5:41 am
    I have made Kenji's recipe almost every week since March of 2020. I use 800 grams of flour and make 2 loaves at a time. Easy and makes great bread. I slice and freeze. We go through the 2 loaves in about a week.

My daughter laughed at me when I bought a pound of Saf-Instant yeast. I am now almost 3/4 through the second pound
  • Post #158 - December 1st, 2022, 3:37 pm
    Post #158 - December 1st, 2022, 3:37 pm Post #158 - December 1st, 2022, 3:37 pm
    Hi,

I decided to prep two breads:
    - Cook's Illustrated almost no knead bread with beer and vinegar added for improved flavor. All is done and baked in 18 hours or so.
    - Kenji's revised method of 18 hour slow rise, then 3-5 days in the fridge to improve the flavor.

For the Cook's variant, I used 1/4 teaspoon of older yeast. It was an open foil packet stored in a jar for some time. For the Kenji, I used 1/2 teaspoon of instand yeast fresh from the foil packet. As you likely predicted, after 18 hours the Cook's was turtling and Kenji was robust. So Kenji went to the fridge for the next few days.

The Cook's with the tired yeast needed an intervention. I took some of the leftover instant yeast use for Kenji, added a scant amount of water, then folded it in the Cook's dough.

After an extremely lengthy rise of 36 hours, I shaped the Cook's, let it rise for two hours and baked. It is not cosmetically my best loaf of bread, though it tastes great.

I feel better not throwing the dough away. I guess I will be less frugal with elderly yeast.

I have found the foil packeted yeasts do better overall shelf-life than bulk. I think I need to do a little reading on preserving yeast for future use.

Live and learn!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #159 - December 1st, 2022, 4:15 pm
    Post #159 - December 1st, 2022, 4:15 pm Post #159 - December 1st, 2022, 4:15 pm
    In a relatively airless environment ( that is simply not open to the air ) yeast should last indefinitely in the freezer. I keep my 1 lb. pack of yeast for over a year and there are no ill effects.
  • Post #160 - December 1st, 2022, 4:53 pm
    Post #160 - December 1st, 2022, 4:53 pm Post #160 - December 1st, 2022, 4:53 pm
    I'm just a beginner at breadmaking, with a couple of questions about yeast.

My brother, who's been making bread weekly for years, found a sturdy Cuisinart CBK-100 bread machine for me that's been working pretty well for me. I use it for the mixing and first rise and then bake the bread in a loaf pan in the oven. I don't make bread very often, though; I need more practice.

The other day my brother sent me a link to a Bon Appetit article: The Only Yeast You Need to Buy Is Instant Yeast. Hope that link works. Interesting reading, but I have some questions.

According to the article, "Instant yeast is powerful so if you’re using it in place of active dry yeast, reduce the amount by 25%. (For example, if a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon active dry yeast, use ¾ teaspoon instant yeast.)" It also says "Skip so-called specialty yeasts ... pizza dough yeast, instant sourdough yeast, and bread machine yeast."

Q1: Okay, but, all my bread machine manual's recipes say "Yeast, active dry, instant, or bread machine." The manual doesn't say anything about using them in different quantities. Does it matter how much instant yeast vs active dry yeast you use?

Q2: After using up the miscellaneous yeast packets I had in the fridge (with mixed results), I bought a jar of Red Star active dry yeast and have been storing it in the freezer (on my brother's recommendation, IIRC). I guess I've had somewhat more consistent results since I started using the ADY stored in the freezer. What is your preferred yeast type and how do you store it? (That's two questions.)
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #161 - December 1st, 2022, 7:27 pm
    Post #161 - December 1st, 2022, 7:27 pm Post #161 - December 1st, 2022, 7:27 pm
    Bread machine yeast is pretty similar to instant yeast. Neither need to be bloomed prior to use. I would just sub in instant yeast into your recipe and go with it. If you think it’s too much, reduce it by 25%.

I use instant yeast for everything. I buy the block of it, separate it into smaller portions, and freeze them. I keep the one I’m using in the fridge.
  • Post #162 - December 2nd, 2022, 6:32 am
    Post #162 - December 2nd, 2022, 6:32 am Post #162 - December 2nd, 2022, 6:32 am
    https://www.amazon.com/SAF-INSTANT-YEAS ... 171&sr=8-3

Simply open it, use the amount you want and roll down the top and put a rubber band around it. Will last indefinitely in the freezer. Use it directly out of the freezer. No need to bring it up to any particular temp.

Most bread experts, as best I can tell, recommend instant yeast. Which type of instant yeast isn't that important.

Stella Parks is certainly one of those experts. This is an excellent article she wrote on the pros and cons of different types of yeast: https://www.seriouseats.com/all-about-d ... g-and-more

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more