LTH Home

I want to make mussels at home - please help

I want to make mussels at home - please help
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • I want to make mussels at home - please help

Post #1 - November 13th, 2006, 10:03 pm
    Post #1 - November 13th, 2006, 10:03 pm Post #1 - November 13th, 2006, 10:03 pm
    The last time I tried was an utter failure. Why? The damn beards. It took the better part of an hour to get them off the little suckers. And some still came out of the pot looking like crazy amish rabbis. Is there an easy way to do this? TIA

Barbara
  • Post #2 - November 13th, 2006, 10:10 pm
    Post #2 - November 13th, 2006, 10:10 pm Post #2 - November 13th, 2006, 10:10 pm
    One trick I learned from Alton Brown is to use a needle-nosed pliers and you can kinda grab the beard at the base and get it right out. I've not found this to be too big of a problem as the majority of the mussels I've seen for retail sale are mostly de-bearded.

Are the mussels that you're buying all still bearded? Where are you buying them?
  • Post #3 - November 13th, 2006, 10:25 pm
    Post #3 - November 13th, 2006, 10:25 pm Post #3 - November 13th, 2006, 10:25 pm
    eatchicago wrote:One trick I learned from Alton Brown is to use a needle-nosed pliers and you can kinda grab the beard at the base and get it right out. I've not found this to be too big of a problem as the majority of the mussels I've seen for retail sale are mostly de-bearded.

Are the mussels that you're buying all still bearded? Where are you buying them?

I made mussels three times in the past two weeks, and I didn't have any problems with the debearding process. It was only a matter of grabbing the fibrous stuff with my fingers and giving it a quick yank in the direction of the hinge. It broke clean nearly every time.

FWIW, I used the farm-raised Mediterranean mussels from Whole Foods and their quality was never less than great. The mussels were sold loose and the WF fishmongers hand-selected each mussel for sale.

E.M.
  • Post #4 - November 13th, 2006, 10:33 pm
    Post #4 - November 13th, 2006, 10:33 pm Post #4 - November 13th, 2006, 10:33 pm
    Hi,

Sometimes you can have an empty shell filled with mud, which is firmly shut. To identify these Trojan Horses, you slightly twist the two halves of the shell in opposite directions. If the tenant is in there, it will stay sealed. If it is a Trojan Horse filled with dirt, then it will break apart.

I have almost never found a Trojan Horse, but the 1-2 times I have it saved me from having a spoiled meal.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #5 - November 13th, 2006, 11:05 pm
    Post #5 - November 13th, 2006, 11:05 pm Post #5 - November 13th, 2006, 11:05 pm
    another trick is to use a towel to pull them out with. gives you a better grip.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #6 - November 14th, 2006, 8:59 am
    Post #6 - November 14th, 2006, 8:59 am Post #6 - November 14th, 2006, 8:59 am
    Now I want to make mussels too! Erik M., would you mind sharing your mussel recipes?
  • Post #7 - November 14th, 2006, 11:10 am
    Post #7 - November 14th, 2006, 11:10 am Post #7 - November 14th, 2006, 11:10 am
    Rudy wrote:Now I want to make mussels too! Erik M., would you mind sharing your mussel recipes?

I am always trying new preparations, Rudy, but the one that I make most often, as it involves little more than pantry staples, is Italian-ish.* And, I've made it so many times that I can almost make it with my eyes closed. It takes me less than half an hour to get it on the table from start to finish.

The necessities:

extra-virgin olive oil
    shallots
    red pepper flakes
    salt&pepper
    white wine/vermouth
    chopped/strained/sauced tomatoes
    clam juice+water/fish stock
    mussels

The embellishments:

lemon zest
    celery/fennel
    anchovy paste
    parsley

I begin by gently warming a generous glug of extra-virgin olive oil in a high-sided pot. I sweat a minced shallot and add minced celery/fennel, lemon zest, and anchovy paste, depending on my mood/availability. Salt & pepper. If I use anchovy paste, I stir the mixture to melt the paste and then toss in the white wine or vermouth. After the alcohol has largely evaporated I add the tomatoes and the clam juice+water/fish stock. Then I simmer the broth to thicken it slightly, toss in my mussels, crank the heat, and cover the pot.

The pot that I like to use is a Korean tukbaege:

It gets so hot that I frequently turn the heat off right after the mussels have been added. With the pot covered, the mussels open on their own accord and they are never overcooked. [The pot also holds heat extremely well, so the mussels and broth stay nice and warm for a good long while after the pot has been removed from the heat.]

For service, I put the pot right on the table, sprinkle some minced parsley over the contents, and that's it. I toast some oiled bread to accompany the feast, and I'm set.

I generally make mussels for two persons, so I'm roughly using the following amounts:

The necessities:

extra-virgin olive oil (1/4 c.)
    shallots (2-3 T.)
    red pepper flakes (pinch)
    salt&pepper (pinch)
    white wine/vermouth (3/4 c. wine or 1/3 c. vermouth)
    chopped/strained/sauced tomatoes (8-12 oz.)**
    clam juice/fish stock (one 8 oz. bottle of clam juice + 4 oz. water, or 12-16 oz. fish stock)
    mussels (2lbs.)

The embellishments:

lemon zest (2 tsp.)
    celery/fennel (1 stalk of celery of 1/2 bulb of fennel)
    anchovy paste (3 tsp.)
    parsley (1/4 c.)

Sometimes I like the broth thin, sometimes I like it thick. But, I'm always using more clam juice/broth than strained/sauced tomato. I want to be able to taste the mussels, after all!

E.M.

* I say, "-ish," in an attempt to forestall debate on fidelity, authenticity, etc.

** Pacific Natural Foods brand organic tomato products in aspeptic containers are a pantry staple for me. The boxes are almost perfectly sized at 13oz.
  • Post #8 - November 14th, 2006, 12:51 pm
    Post #8 - November 14th, 2006, 12:51 pm Post #8 - November 14th, 2006, 12:51 pm
    In my view, the Belgians make the apotheosis of mussels on earth, but the Neapolitans run a close second with either of two conceptions described below, the first perhaps being Erik's inspiration.

Cozze alla marinara

1/3 C olive oil
    a clove or two of garlic, smashed with the side of a chef's knife
    3-6 filets anchovie
    hot red pepper (optional, but typical)
    1 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes
    broad leaf parsley
    2 lbs mussels

For the sauce: Heat olive oil over medium, add crushed garlic and remove when it begins to brown (browner means more bitter, per your taste), remove from heat and mash anchovies into oil, return to heat, add tomatoes, crushed by hand, and cook for 30 minutes. Add a good handful of chopped parsley toward the end.

Heat a pan large enough to hold the cleaned mussels. Put a cup or two of marinara into pan, heat to boiling, add mussels, cover and cook until they open. Serve with a little parsley, perhaps some hot pepper flakes, and a good white wine.
    Serves 2 LTHForum members in anticipation of dinner.

Impepata di cozze (a 'mpepata e cozzeche or peppery mussels)

1/3 C olive oil
    abundant fresh ground black pepper
    2 lbs mussels
    Options: broadleaf parsley; a lemon, sliced; a splash of white vinegar; clove of garlic, sliced

Heat oil in large pan, dump in mussels, cover and cook until they open, then sprinkle liberally with pepper and turn in the oil. You might optionally add some broadleaf parsley, a squirt of fresh lemon (or vinegar) with the pepper, but I prefer the simplicity of pepper, mussels, and olive oil in perfect balance.
  • Post #9 - November 14th, 2006, 5:18 pm
    Post #9 - November 14th, 2006, 5:18 pm Post #9 - November 14th, 2006, 5:18 pm
    I do it very similarly, varying depending on how I'm feeling. I usually get mussels at Whole Foods, and find they almost never have beards. Maybe I've been lucky!

2-3 lb mussels
    Olive oil to cover bottom of pan sparsely
    Shallots (onions in a pinch) maybe 1/4-1/2 cup
    Garlic (lots!)
    White wine (generally a cheap sauvignon blanc, or such - not Cal. Chard.) about 1-2 cups
    Fresh lemon for juice
    Stock (I use chicken) about 1 cup
    Favorite neutral hot sauce
    Parsley (about 1/4 cup chopped)

Saute diced shallots and garlic gently in olive oil until fragrant and translucent (DO NOT BROWN!) add wine and cook until a little reduced, add stock and juice from about 1/2 lemon, bring to boil, add touch of hot sauce, add mussels, cover, steam until they are open (shouldn't take long). Toss in parsley, Stir them up. Serve with good bread for soaking in the cooking.

Optional - add chopped, seeded tomatoes when you add stock and more hot sauce.

Add wine
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #10 - November 15th, 2006, 6:46 pm
    Post #10 - November 15th, 2006, 6:46 pm Post #10 - November 15th, 2006, 6:46 pm
    Thanks very much for the advice & the recipes - each looks as good as the next.

Last time I bought mussels was three years ago and I purchased them at Treasure Island. They were just impossible but I now have hope again thanks to all of you.
  • Post #11 - January 9th, 2008, 12:26 pm
    Post #11 - January 9th, 2008, 12:26 pm Post #11 - January 9th, 2008, 12:26 pm
    I made mussels the other day using the typical white wine preparation, and it was good, but did not approach Hopleaf's version. Does anyone know a recipe that would approximate such a Belgian treat? I do know that they use a Belgian ale instead of wine, but I suspect they have some other secrets as well.
    "My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."

-Orson Welles-
  • Post #12 - January 9th, 2008, 12:48 pm
    Post #12 - January 9th, 2008, 12:48 pm Post #12 - January 9th, 2008, 12:48 pm
    borborigmy wrote:I made mussels the other day using the typical white wine preparation, and it was good, but did not approach Hopleaf's version. Does anyone know a recipe that would approximate such a Belgian treat? I do know that they use a Belgian ale instead of wine, but I suspect they have some other secrets as well.

Hopleaf has two preparations: beer and wine.

I think the key is to think of the wine (or beer) as a base for a broth and not as the whole solution.

Before cooking the mussles, I'd get the wine (or beer) simmering for a short time (not boiling) with bay leaves, pepper, leeks, celery, maybe some carrot---essentially whatever you have that might build up a flavorful broth.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #13 - January 9th, 2008, 1:36 pm
    Post #13 - January 9th, 2008, 1:36 pm Post #13 - January 9th, 2008, 1:36 pm
    charlie socher's steamed mussels
    http://www.answerstv.com/AnswersTV/Chan ... 43&AP=true
  • Post #14 - January 9th, 2008, 2:22 pm
    Post #14 - January 9th, 2008, 2:22 pm Post #14 - January 9th, 2008, 2:22 pm
    borborigmy wrote:I made mussels the other day using the typical white wine preparation, and it was good, but did not approach Hopleaf's version. Does anyone know a recipe that would approximate such a Belgian treat? I do know that they use a Belgian ale instead of wine, but I suspect they have some other secrets as well.

All of the key ingredients (herbs, even the specific brand of belgian witbier- wittekerke) are listed in the menu description, although the proportions are certainly a toss up. Don't quote me on this, but there doesn't seem to be anything more than what's listed on the menu. Should be worth experimenting with!

Here's a starting point for proportions for the aromatics and herbs:
    equal parts shallots and celery (no garlic!)
    one bay leaf
    pinch of thyme

The cooking process shouldn't that much different from the recipes posted here... saute aromatics. add mussels, beer and herbs. steam. maybe add butter at the end.
  • Post #15 - January 9th, 2008, 5:01 pm
    Post #15 - January 9th, 2008, 5:01 pm Post #15 - January 9th, 2008, 5:01 pm
    kanin wrote:All of the key ingredients (herbs, even the specific brand of belgian witbier- wittekerke) are listed in the menu description, although the proportions are certainly a toss up. Don't quote me on this, but there doesn't seem to be anything more than what's listed on the menu. Should be worth experimenting with!

Mussels in gueuze (an aged, unfiltered lambic) are sumblime and the beer of choice for me if I make 'em with beer. I'd do a milder gueze like Rene Cuvee or Cantillon as opposed to something strong like Hannsen's Oude Gueuze.

The crowd favorite with my guests is mussels cooked in coconut milk and red curry paste (either homemade, semi-homemade, or even prepared). My personal favorite is the gentler flavors of gueuze, shallots, butter, and parsley.
  • Post #16 - January 9th, 2008, 7:39 pm
    Post #16 - January 9th, 2008, 7:39 pm Post #16 - January 9th, 2008, 7:39 pm
    What's the problem with the beards, anyway? They're not there to be eaten, they aren't *unclean*, they don't flavor the mix, ultimately, they're basically harmless. Grab, twist and break what you can. The rest, nah und? who cares?

That's my principle, and I'm stickin' to it! : )

Take a bottle of white wine. Simmer it VERY VERY slowly for an hour to reduce it by half. Sautée a chopped onion and a couple of cloves of garlic. Chop up some parsley. Combine in a pot. Add some cream fraiche if you've got it, or some condensed milk (which won't clabber), put in the mussels, cover and steam for a few minutes until the shells have just opened, not longer. Eat.

BTW, you'll need a good baguette to sop in the cream sauce!!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #17 - January 9th, 2008, 8:22 pm
    Post #17 - January 9th, 2008, 8:22 pm Post #17 - January 9th, 2008, 8:22 pm
    Geo -- Finally somebody remembered the dairy!

I haven't made them myself, but I would imagine that adding some cream after the cooking has completed would prevent any curdle.

You're also the first one to remind people to provide ample amounts of crusty bread -- the whole reason to order mussels is for the broth, so far as I'm concerned, and baguettes or frites are the best equipment for sopping up that lovely liquor.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #18 - January 9th, 2008, 9:18 pm
    Post #18 - January 9th, 2008, 9:18 pm Post #18 - January 9th, 2008, 9:18 pm
    Steaming the little rascals with fennel seed, tarragon, and Aquavitis seriously the way to go. Just delicious. Skol!
  • Post #19 - January 9th, 2008, 9:26 pm
    Post #19 - January 9th, 2008, 9:26 pm Post #19 - January 9th, 2008, 9:26 pm
    JoelF-- the curdle comes from the acidity in the wine. After the bottle has been reduced by half, the acid is quite concentrated. It's risky to use regular whipping cream (~35%), but, as you suggest, if you add it just at the last, there's a good chance it won't curdle. Here in Montréal, we can get creme fraiche at the corner convenience store, so that's a no-brainer: it won't curdle.

BTW, the r e a l l y slow reduction of the white wine is essential; if you do it fast, you get rubbery sulfurey flavors.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #20 - May 7th, 2023, 3:04 am
    Post #20 - May 7th, 2023, 3:04 am Post #20 - May 7th, 2023, 3:04 am
    Mussels: Fresh Fennel. Onion. Garlic. Lemon. Lemon zest. Fennel fronds. Parsley. Rosé. Olive oil. Red jalapeno. Crushed red pepper. Black pepper. Butter.

2.70 lbs easily fed three people.

click to enlarge

Mussels, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #21 - May 7th, 2023, 4:00 pm
    Post #21 - May 7th, 2023, 4:00 pm Post #21 - May 7th, 2023, 4:00 pm
    Does anyone remember...? There was a restaurant on Clark in Andersonville in the late 90's or early aughts, I think it started with an A, which had wood-fired mussels in a harissa butter sauce. All of the components were perfect. I couldn't access a wood fire any time soon, but if I could figure out the other parts, I'd be very happy
  • Post #22 - May 7th, 2023, 4:54 pm
    Post #22 - May 7th, 2023, 4:54 pm Post #22 - May 7th, 2023, 4:54 pm
    Smassey wrote:had wood-fired mussels in a harissa butter sauce.

Probably is not the right restaurant, but this recipe from Dusek’s in Chicago looks tasty.

Pan Roasted Mussels & Harissa Butter
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #23 - May 7th, 2023, 7:39 pm
    Post #23 - May 7th, 2023, 7:39 pm Post #23 - May 7th, 2023, 7:39 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Smassey wrote:had wood-fired mussels in a harissa butter sauce.

Probably is not the right restaurant, but this recipe from Dusek’s in Chicago looks tasty.

Pan Roasted Mussels & Harissa Butter

Thank you, Gary! I also appreciate the introduction to dried harissa, which is new to me
  • Post #24 - May 8th, 2023, 7:41 am
    Post #24 - May 8th, 2023, 7:41 am Post #24 - May 8th, 2023, 7:41 am
    Funny this should come up now. Saturday I was at Bistro Campagne in Lincoln Square in advance of Old Town School show and the mussel appetizer (which was monstrous) was fantastic. We were pressed for time but I really wanted to ask where they source their mussels. They were absolute beauties, better than anything I've found retail recently.
  • Post #25 - May 8th, 2023, 7:43 am
    Post #25 - May 8th, 2023, 7:43 am Post #25 - May 8th, 2023, 7:43 am
    To clarify: "monstrous" was in reference to the volume, not the quality.
  • Post #26 - May 8th, 2023, 8:05 am
    Post #26 - May 8th, 2023, 8:05 am Post #26 - May 8th, 2023, 8:05 am
    Smassey wrote:Does anyone remember...? There was a restaurant on Clark in Andersonville in the late 90's or early aughts, I think it started with an A, which had wood-fired mussels in a harissa butter sauce. All of the components were perfect. I couldn't access a wood fire any time soon, but if I could figure out the other parts, I'd be very happy

Acre?
    -Mary
  • Post #27 - May 8th, 2023, 10:20 am
    Post #27 - May 8th, 2023, 10:20 am Post #27 - May 8th, 2023, 10:20 am
    Here's an option I don't think was mentioned yet: mussels in a coconut milk/green curry paste/fish sauce/lemongrass sauce, garnished with cilantro leaves and slices of red Thai chili pepper.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #28 - May 8th, 2023, 12:25 pm
    Post #28 - May 8th, 2023, 12:25 pm Post #28 - May 8th, 2023, 12:25 pm
    As a vegetarian this is how I make my 'mussels' at home!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more