LTH Home

In need of a new blender

In need of a new blender
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 3
  • In need of a new blender

Post #1 - August 30th, 2004, 8:08 am
    Post #1 - August 30th, 2004, 8:08 am Post #1 - August 30th, 2004, 8:08 am
    My six month old Hamilton Beach has all but died. I am looking for a blender that can stand up to daily usage at a price that won't break the bank. Is this possible? Thanks for any recommendations.
  • Post #2 - August 30th, 2004, 8:47 am
    Post #2 - August 30th, 2004, 8:47 am Post #2 - August 30th, 2004, 8:47 am
    I have a stainless stell Kitchen Aid that is used almost every day and crushed ice like a champ. It cleaned easy being steel and doesn;t hold onto flavors. It was about 150 bucks, which isn't cheap, but it's lasted me years. Maybe you can get a non-staninless option and drop the price below a 100.
  • Post #3 - August 30th, 2004, 9:04 am
    Post #3 - August 30th, 2004, 9:04 am Post #3 - August 30th, 2004, 9:04 am
    Stainless has one drawback: You can't see how well it's blending/chopping. Not critical for everything, but for some things like pesto, it's more convenient than opening the lid and shaking it around to see if you're done.

Avoid plastic containers, unless you want to get several: one for strong flavors like garlic and chipotle, one for smoothies, etc., unless you like garlic chipotle smoothies.

Don't sweat speeds: you want a unit that you can pulse, and you want one with a fair amount of power.

I'm trying to remember what else Alton Brown said on Good Eats: Tapered container helps bring food to the bottom... hole in the lid for drizzling oil... that's about it.

I don't make frozen drinks frequently, but I've been using the blender more frequently for sauces and marinades: the food processor will often strand large chunks, and tends to leak liquids if they get too high. Nothing like a blender for Tikka marinades.
  • Post #4 - August 30th, 2004, 10:18 am
    Post #4 - August 30th, 2004, 10:18 am Post #4 - August 30th, 2004, 10:18 am
    HI,

Over at Useful Stuff board is a link to an appliance forum. They are as obsessed about buying the right appliances as we are about food.

I don't like to have to buy things over and over, so I do consult Consumer Reports. My toaster is a recommended model from KitchenAid, which was already no longer in production when I identified it. I simply kept an eye over at e-Bay and bought what I wanted at a very decent price.

My current blender is a vintage chrome metal base Osterizer with a glass container with bakelite top. It has exactly two speeds: fast and not so fast. I bought the motor at a rummage sale and my two glass containers were found later. It works like a champ, though admittedly I am not a smoothie a day person.

Some newer appliances are using plastic gears rather than metal. For instance, KitchenAid stand mixers have a reputation of longevity. That is until they switched to plastic gears, which strip if you do things like knead bread at too high a speed. Older KitchenAids and very top line new KitchenAids have metal gears. So if you spend more money and get a better built appliance, then it is worth the extra money.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #5 - August 30th, 2004, 10:28 am
    Post #5 - August 30th, 2004, 10:28 am Post #5 - August 30th, 2004, 10:28 am
    Cathy2 wrote:HI,

I don't like to have to buy things over and over, so I do consult Consumer Reports. ...

My current blender is a vintage chrome metal base Osterizer with a glass container with bakelite top. It has exactly two speeds: fast and not so fast.

Something I learned years ago from a Consumer Reports article on blenders is that many of the models with, say, 14 buttons or more also actually only have two speeds, fast and not so fast. All the buttons on the top row ("puree", "liquefy", "pulverize" etc) give you the same fast speed and all the buttons on the bottom ("chop" etc) give you the slower speed.
  • Post #6 - April 23rd, 2007, 9:32 am
    Post #6 - April 23rd, 2007, 9:32 am Post #6 - April 23rd, 2007, 9:32 am
    My Braun blender, which Consumer Reports had given the highest rating, just finally fell apart after only a couple of years. I actually never really liked it at all - the rubber connector always leaked liquids, and I found it to be a pain in the neck. I think I am no longer going to rely on Consumer Reports (their number 1 mower also turned out to be a stinker).

So now I am in the market for a new blender, and I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. I know both the Vita-mix and Blendtec seem to be these "super" blenders, but I am slightly hesitant about spending $400 on a blender unless it is clearly that much superior to other brands. Any thoughts?
    "My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."

-Orson Welles-
  • Post #7 - April 23rd, 2007, 9:50 am
    Post #7 - April 23rd, 2007, 9:50 am Post #7 - April 23rd, 2007, 9:50 am
    I usually buy a new 15.00 blender every two to three years. The math says I'll come out ahead of your 400.00 in the end.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #8 - April 23rd, 2007, 10:01 am
    Post #8 - April 23rd, 2007, 10:01 am Post #8 - April 23rd, 2007, 10:01 am
    Waring and Oster are the gold standards. I'm a Waring man myself.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #9 - April 23rd, 2007, 10:06 am
    Post #9 - April 23rd, 2007, 10:06 am Post #9 - April 23rd, 2007, 10:06 am
    stevez wrote:Waring and Oster are the gold standards. I'm a Waring man myself.

I have a Waring 60th Anniversary blender and I like it very much. Simple, well-made, and powerful enough. I think it ran about $125.
  • Post #10 - April 23rd, 2007, 11:03 am
    Post #10 - April 23rd, 2007, 11:03 am Post #10 - April 23rd, 2007, 11:03 am
    Obviously, the one with the most speeds settings must be the best :P

But more seriously, I'd strongly consider a couple of features
    1) glass or metal containers -- no plastic
    2) replaceable parts/extra containers. I often find myself having to pour one prep into a bowl temporarily so I can blend a second. The ability to replace cracked blade assemblies would be very nice -- they seem to get the most abuse (not the blades, the plastic cup part). The part that always seems to wear out first, though, is the drive interlock between the base and the blade assembly on the base side, and I've never seen that part be replaceable.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #11 - April 23rd, 2007, 11:32 am
    Post #11 - April 23rd, 2007, 11:32 am Post #11 - April 23rd, 2007, 11:32 am
    I've been abusing my Viking VBLG01 for almost 3 years now, and have been very happy with it. Pulse / On / Off seems to be quite sufficient for my blending needs, with the blender tackling everything from vichyssoise to milkshakes and margaritas with good, consistent results. The seals have held up well , with no leakage. The big knob is a plus, providing enough of a control surface for messy or mitted hands.

Disassembly and maintenance are a relatively simple task, and I'll echo the leaning toward glass instead of plastic as a pitcher material. The pitcher is quite hefty, and while I haven't purposely tried to do so, I have little doubt that it could inflict serious injury were I to lob it at the nearest moving object.

The only criticism that I can levy is that the overall weight of this beast, including pitcher and base, does not lend itself easily to moving from countertop to storage. That, and the simultaneously disturbing and comforting fact that there is no "frappe" setting.

Amazon and other retailers price it around $125 USD, so you may want to save up a few pennies first.

-sherman
  • Post #12 - April 23rd, 2007, 11:45 am
    Post #12 - April 23rd, 2007, 11:45 am Post #12 - April 23rd, 2007, 11:45 am
    I too am in the Waring camp and also have the 60th Anniversary ed. It's been fantastic, reliable and powerful. It's the best I've ever had and makes quick work of ice for superb frozen drinks!!! :D
    Moses supposes his toeses are roses, but Moses supposes erroneously. Moses, he knowses his toeses aren't roses, as Moses supposes his toeses to be.
  • Post #13 - April 23rd, 2007, 11:52 am
    Post #13 - April 23rd, 2007, 11:52 am Post #13 - April 23rd, 2007, 11:52 am
    Hi,

I have vintage Oster with several glass containers all acquired at rummage sales. Low-Off-Hi are all my options. Works enthusiastically when called upon, then is put away for great lengths of time.

If I bought one new, then I would go Waring or Oster. I just cannot imagine when this might be.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #14 - April 23rd, 2007, 12:19 pm
    Post #14 - April 23rd, 2007, 12:19 pm Post #14 - April 23rd, 2007, 12:19 pm
    JoelF wrote:Obviously, the one with the most speeds settings must be the best :P

But more seriously, I'd strongly consider a couple of features
    1) glass or metal containers -- no plastic
    2) replaceable parts/extra containers. I often find myself having to pour one prep into a bowl temporarily so I can blend a second. The ability to replace cracked blade assemblies would be very nice -- they seem to get the most abuse (not the blades, the plastic cup part). The part that always seems to wear out first, though, is the drive interlock between the base and the blade assembly on the base side, and I've never seen that part be replaceable.

Joel,

I used to have to replace the interlock on my bar blenders about every 2 months. It's not easy, but the parts are out there.

Flip
    "Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be Happy"
    -Ben Franklin-
  • Post #15 - April 23rd, 2007, 1:00 pm
    Post #15 - April 23rd, 2007, 1:00 pm Post #15 - April 23rd, 2007, 1:00 pm
    On the subject of blender features, I've seen ads for a new one that reverses directions (perhaps with each run?). Has anyone worked with one like this? Does it make a difference in, say, pureeing dense items or crushing ice?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #16 - April 23rd, 2007, 1:16 pm
    Post #16 - April 23rd, 2007, 1:16 pm Post #16 - April 23rd, 2007, 1:16 pm
    I've got an immersion blender which has a couple advantages, one of which is minimal storage space; another being ease of cleaning -- while it won't crush ice -- it's serviceable and a whiz for making cream soups or purees.
  • Post #17 - April 23rd, 2007, 1:54 pm
    Post #17 - April 23rd, 2007, 1:54 pm Post #17 - April 23rd, 2007, 1:54 pm
    SGFoxe wrote:I've got an immersion blender which has a couple advantages, one of which is minimal storage space; another being ease of cleaning -- while it won't crush ice -- it's serviceable and a whiz for making cream soups or purees.

Great for making gravy as well! I liked the infomercials when they made mayo in a Mason jar.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #18 - April 23rd, 2007, 2:02 pm
    Post #18 - April 23rd, 2007, 2:02 pm Post #18 - April 23rd, 2007, 2:02 pm
    Approximately 10 years ago I needed a new blender. After years (at least 35) of burning out motors of cheap ones I decided to splurge and buy the Waring Professional. I don't know if this is the same as the 60th anniversary edition but it is the old style, two settings lo and hi. I also splurged on the one piece jar. I think it cost somewhere between 125 and 150. It's a real work horse use it all the time for smooth purees have made smoothies with ice cubes and never had a problem. The only disadvantage which works also to advantage is the one piece jar. It doesn't leak if the bottom isn't on good but then it's harder to clean around the blades. I know I can put some soap and water in and turn it on but I just don't always do that.
    Paulette
  • Post #19 - April 23rd, 2007, 3:01 pm
    Post #19 - April 23rd, 2007, 3:01 pm Post #19 - April 23rd, 2007, 3:01 pm
    paulette wrote:Approximately 10 years ago I needed a new blender. After years (at least 35) of burning out motors of cheap ones I decided to splurge and buy the Waring Professional. I don't know if this is the same as the 60th anniversary edition but it is the old style, two settings lo and hi. I also splurged on the one piece jar. I think it cost somewhere between 125 and 150. It's a real work horse use it all the time for smooth purees have made smoothies with ice cubes and never had a problem. The only disadvantage which works also to advantage is the one piece jar. It doesn't leak if the bottom isn't on good but then it's harder to clean around the blades. I know I can put some soap and water in and turn it on but I just don't always do that.
    Paulette

That's the one I have. I think it's going on at least its 15th year. I've never had a problem blending anyting I have thrown at it.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #20 - April 23rd, 2007, 6:45 pm
    Post #20 - April 23rd, 2007, 6:45 pm Post #20 - April 23rd, 2007, 6:45 pm
    You know how the guy on the home renovation comedy keeps going "More power! More power!" ?

We bought a factory reconditioned Vitamix.

VroomVroom!

I could puree chunks of the Berlin Wall if I really wanted to...

Great machine. Laid out the $$ and never looked back.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #21 - April 23rd, 2007, 7:39 pm
    Post #21 - April 23rd, 2007, 7:39 pm Post #21 - April 23rd, 2007, 7:39 pm
    Interesting we're talking about blenders -- I'm finding I'm using mine more often than I used to. Perhaps it's because of its easier access in my new kitchen -- I don't have to dig it out of the utility room, it's just in the pantry.

But a lot more stuff is getting blent (it's a word if I say so): most recently the base for tortilla soup, but Indian marinades, the occasional smoothie, salad dressing, crepe batter... it is getting nearly as much use as my food processor.

It does a better job pureeing and grinding stuff fine, and it doesn't leak when you put more than about 2 cups of liquid in it. I may have to try salsa next.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #22 - April 23rd, 2007, 7:55 pm
    Post #22 - April 23rd, 2007, 7:55 pm Post #22 - April 23rd, 2007, 7:55 pm
    My thing is, I just *hate* to clean the #@**!$ Cusinart. It's so much easier to clean the [insert blender name here] and just put it away.

Besides, my Vitamix turns ice cubes into mush in nanoseconds, making the odd (or even) smoothie a genuine pleasure.

So, yeah, I find it coming more and more into use.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #23 - April 24th, 2007, 1:15 pm
    Post #23 - April 24th, 2007, 1:15 pm Post #23 - April 24th, 2007, 1:15 pm
    Took the words right out of my mouth!

I have the 'spouse's grandmother's Osterizer - of the burnt-almond chassis vintage. Works great, fits in the dishwasher easily without crowding my other stuff, and parts are still available. I think you can even get little bitty jars for grinding spices, etc.

My Cuisinart hibernates in the basement and emerges only when I decide to make carrot cake - and then hogs the dishwasher.
  • Post #24 - April 24th, 2007, 2:47 pm
    Post #24 - April 24th, 2007, 2:47 pm Post #24 - April 24th, 2007, 2:47 pm
    Mhays wrote:My Cuisinart hibernates in the basement and emerges only when I decide to make carrot cake - and then hogs the dishwasher.

I have the original sized Cuisinart, which isn't too much of a space pig. What I don't understand is people getting the larger capacity Cuisinart's, which might be handy for a big holiday cook. Is it really such a big deal to do things in two batches instead of one? For the space the larger units take up, they don't earn their keep.

I also have the sense the techniques for using a Cuisinart, which local Abby Mandel explored quite a bit in books and classes, are not as well known anymore. Another reason for its' usefullness declining.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #25 - April 24th, 2007, 3:06 pm
    Post #25 - April 24th, 2007, 3:06 pm Post #25 - April 24th, 2007, 3:06 pm
    JoelF wrote: I may have to try salsa next.

I find my blender to be too "thorough" to use for salsa. I like mine a bit on the chunky side and my blender doesn't give as fine control as my food processor or my chef's knife. It instantly goes from chunks to liquid.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #26 - April 24th, 2007, 3:09 pm
    Post #26 - April 24th, 2007, 3:09 pm Post #26 - April 24th, 2007, 3:09 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Mhays wrote:What I don't understand is people getting the larger capacity Cuisinart's, which might be handy for a big holiday cook. Is it really such a big deal to do things in two batches instead of one?

I went with the 12 cup Kitchen Aid. While it's a great large capacity processor for things like salsa and latkes, it comes with a small insert bowl and blade that you can use for everyday jobs. It's the best of both worlds and also seems to be of a bit more precision construction than the Cuisinarts I looked at.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #27 - April 24th, 2007, 5:02 pm
    Post #27 - April 24th, 2007, 5:02 pm Post #27 - April 24th, 2007, 5:02 pm
    I have to admit, my Cuisinart is just as much a hand-me-down as my blender - I'd agree that a smaller one would make much more sense.
  • Post #28 - September 22nd, 2008, 10:40 pm
    Post #28 - September 22nd, 2008, 10:40 pm Post #28 - September 22nd, 2008, 10:40 pm
    Trying to decide between two high-end blenders as a gift for a friend: does anyone have any opinions, likes, dislikes, etc. regarding the Vita-Mix 5200 vs the Blendtec Home? Both recently available at Costco/Sam's for about $380.

Here are some stats:

vita-mix 5200 - about 2HP, has high and variable settings & comes with a 64 oz wet canister/blade & tamper. Dry canister/blade sold separately (about $80, i think). Breads, grains, coffee beans, etc. must be done in the dry container. 7yr warranty.

Blendtec Home - 3HP, has 6 labeled, preset settings (think milkshake, smoothie, soups, dips, etc), manual speed up & down buttons and a pulse button & comes with a 64oz wet/dry canister/blade. 7yr warranty on the motor & base, lifetime on the blade and coupling.

I've used and loved vita-mix blenders for years - they're simple, reliable and easy-to-use. Purees come out silky, smoothies just how you want them, etc. However, the additional power and convenience of being able to use 1 vessel for both wet and dry make the Blendtec attractive. I don't know anyone who has ever used a Blendtec and worry a little about losing some of the control/quality with the presets/all-in-one canister.

I'd let the gift-recipient make the decision, but she asked me to make it for her! Hopefully, these are both amazing products and there is no wrong way to go here, but I figured no better place than LTH to discuss the finer points of ridiculously expensive blenders.

Thanks for any thoughts!
  • Post #29 - September 23rd, 2008, 8:19 am
    Post #29 - September 23rd, 2008, 8:19 am Post #29 - September 23rd, 2008, 8:19 am
    Mrs Ramon bought a new ominous black Black & Decker blender a couple months ago. I did not approve and have yet to use it -- but I must admit I am daily amused by its name as I curse its presence on my counter: the "Crush Master."

-ramon
  • Post #30 - September 23rd, 2008, 11:02 am
    Post #30 - September 23rd, 2008, 11:02 am Post #30 - September 23rd, 2008, 11:02 am
    Geo wrote:You know how the guy on the home renovation comedy keeps going "More power! More power!" ?

We bought a factory reconditioned Vitamix.

I like the VitaMix machines (and the related road show) and they are powerful.

However, if I see one at a garage/rummage sale, I would take a pass as a number of the 10+ year old models had problems with the motors burning up after frequent directional changes.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more