LTH Home

Chicago: Best Tortillas in the World

Chicago: Best Tortillas in the World
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - April 24th, 2020, 6:51 am
    Post #31 - April 24th, 2020, 6:51 am Post #31 - April 24th, 2020, 6:51 am
    Rene G wrote:
    Rene G wrote:Dinner tonight is a layered casserole, making use of some stale El Milagro paper-wrapped corn tortillas.

    A couple weeks ago I was disappointed to find my (preservative-free) tortillas had grown mold. Since I'd already started preparing other ingredients, I decided to wash them under running water with light scrubbing. Worked great and the casserole was delicious! I've never washed tortillas before.

    Generally not a good idea. Surface mold indicates subsurface spread - what you see are the fruiting bodies supported by bigger fungal bodies. You can cut off a big chunk of cheese, eat the other end of a loaf of bread, maybe the far side of tortillas.
    Odds are it's not toxic, but it's not good eats.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #32 - April 24th, 2020, 9:29 am
    Post #32 - April 24th, 2020, 9:29 am Post #32 - April 24th, 2020, 9:29 am
    JoelF wrote:
    Rene G wrote:
    Rene G wrote:Dinner tonight is a layered casserole, making use of some stale El Milagro paper-wrapped corn tortillas.

    A couple weeks ago I was disappointed to find my (preservative-free) tortillas had grown mold. Since I'd already started preparing other ingredients, I decided to wash them under running water with light scrubbing. Worked great and the casserole was delicious! I've never washed tortillas before.

    Generally not a good idea. Surface mold indicates subsurface spread - what you see are the fruiting bodies supported by bigger fungal bodies. You can cut off a big chunk of cheese, eat the other end of a loaf of bread, maybe the far side of tortillas.
    Odds are it's not toxic, but it's not good eats.


    As soon as I purchase tortillas, I put them right in the fridge. Never tried freezing but I'm sure that would extend the life as well.
  • Post #33 - April 27th, 2020, 1:06 pm
    Post #33 - April 27th, 2020, 1:06 pm Post #33 - April 27th, 2020, 1:06 pm
    El Milagro, a Chicago-based tortilla maker, told employees over the weekend it will close its facility on Western Avenue for two weeks to sanitize the plant after one worker died and others tested positive for the new coronavirus.

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #34 - April 27th, 2020, 2:55 pm
    Post #34 - April 27th, 2020, 2:55 pm Post #34 - April 27th, 2020, 2:55 pm
    Damn, sad that they lost a longtime employee to the pandemic. Hopefully the sanitation and two week closure reduces the spread in the facility beyond those who have tested positive.

    On a good note, I'm glad to see they are paying the employees for the duration of the shutdown.
  • Post #35 - May 12th, 2020, 10:09 am
    Post #35 - May 12th, 2020, 10:09 am Post #35 - May 12th, 2020, 10:09 am
    gnarchief wrote:Damn, sad that they lost a longtime employee to the pandemic. Hopefully the sanitation and two week closure reduces the spread in the facility beyond those who have tested positive.

    On a good note, I'm glad to see they are paying the employees for the duration of the shutdown.

    An El Milagro tortilla factory that closed for two weeks of deep cleaning after an employee died from COVID-19 will remain shuttered for an undetermined amount of time to complete a construction project.

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #36 - May 12th, 2020, 8:54 pm
    Post #36 - May 12th, 2020, 8:54 pm Post #36 - May 12th, 2020, 8:54 pm
    I swear I saw El Milagro tortillas at Shop & Save today, but I wasn't buying that today so I could be wrong.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #37 - May 13th, 2020, 9:48 am
    Post #37 - May 13th, 2020, 9:48 am Post #37 - May 13th, 2020, 9:48 am
    Yesterday- while Grocery Shopping at Supermercado Jimenez in Logan Square,
    the Tortilla section was filled with empty cartons of Tortillas.
    Lots of Flour Tortillas.
    2 boxes of hardened, stiff as cardboard "Viejo's" (old as F#ck) Corn Tortillas....
    but anything warm and fresh?
    Nada.

    Guess there's always buying Masa-and flattening and fryin'-ur-own!
    :roll:
  • Post #38 - May 13th, 2020, 3:13 pm
    Post #38 - May 13th, 2020, 3:13 pm Post #38 - May 13th, 2020, 3:13 pm
    Will COVID-19 tortilla making replace bread baking as the newest do-it-yourself obsession? Only time will tell!
  • Post #39 - May 13th, 2020, 3:22 pm
    Post #39 - May 13th, 2020, 3:22 pm Post #39 - May 13th, 2020, 3:22 pm
    JoelF wrote:I swear I saw El Milagro tortillas at Shop & Save today, but I wasn't buying that today so I could be wrong.

    Linked Tribune article says El Milagro production is cut by 75%. There are still El Milagro tortillas out there.

    The company had said the temporary closure would cut its production of corn tortillas by 75%.
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #40 - February 16th, 2021, 2:59 pm
    Post #40 - February 16th, 2021, 2:59 pm Post #40 - February 16th, 2021, 2:59 pm
    Chicago is a corn tortilla town. But the Navarro family keeps the flour tortilla tradition alive

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #41 - February 16th, 2021, 3:48 pm
    Post #41 - February 16th, 2021, 3:48 pm Post #41 - February 16th, 2021, 3:48 pm
    For the hardcore few, you can buy heirloom corn and nixtamalization kits. Fun for the whole family:

    https://masienda.com/shop/
  • Post #42 - February 16th, 2021, 3:50 pm
    Post #42 - February 16th, 2021, 3:50 pm Post #42 - February 16th, 2021, 3:50 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:For the hardcore few, you can get in on the ground floor and buy heirloom corn and nixtamalization kits. Fun for the whole family:

    https://masienda.com/shop/

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more