LTH Home

How to make your rice cooker hop, skip and jump!

How to make your rice cooker hop, skip and jump!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - January 6th, 2023, 6:54 pm
    Post #91 - January 6th, 2023, 6:54 pm Post #91 - January 6th, 2023, 6:54 pm
    It may be easy to cook rice on the stove top but doing so produces a result that is less consistent than a rice cooker, requires more close attention and occupies a burner that could otherwise be used for something else. Additionally, there is no 'keeping it warm' on the stove top. True, people cooked rice for centuries without the use of rice cookers. To that I'd counter that here's one the few culinary innovations that makes the cooking process easier and also produces a superior result.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #92 - January 6th, 2023, 9:34 pm
    Post #92 - January 6th, 2023, 9:34 pm Post #92 - January 6th, 2023, 9:34 pm
    lougord99 wrote:I still come down to - it's so easy to cook excellent rice on the stove top - I just don't need another device.

I cook good to very good rice stovetop. Same pot. Always. Finger method. Rinse. Soak. Bring to boil. 13 minutes low simmer. Leave lid on, don’t touch 15 minutes. Fluff. Eat. Repeat.

That said. I really love my Zojirushi. I’ve had other rice cookers. No comparison as to utility.

Zojirushi, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #93 - January 6th, 2023, 10:27 pm
    Post #93 - January 6th, 2023, 10:27 pm Post #93 - January 6th, 2023, 10:27 pm
    lougord99 wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:Had my Zojirushi 5-6 months now. Use it often. Mainly jasmine or short grain rice. Also congee once a week or so. Eating congee this very moment.
    Zojirushi, count me a fan!

There are so many people on this forum who I respect as to their cooking acumen ( obviously including you, Gary ) who sing the praises of rice cookers. I still come down to - it's so easy to cook excellent rice on the stove top - I just don't need another device.

I remember asking my college roommates how they were gonna cook rice since we didn't have a rice cooker. Literally had no idea that you could cook rice on the stove til I was 20. Oops.

The only time I make rice on the stove is when I'm cooking long grain and it's never great. I can't decide if it's human error or if long grain rice stinks :)

And I also have a zojirushi that has been great. But don't sleep on Cuckoo ones as well. That's the brand most popular in Korea and seems to have an equivalent reputation.
  • Post #94 - January 7th, 2023, 10:58 am
    Post #94 - January 7th, 2023, 10:58 am Post #94 - January 7th, 2023, 10:58 am
    2 ?s: How well does a rice cooker do with parboiled "Uncle Ben's" style rice? And rice cooker vs. instant pot?
  • Post #95 - January 7th, 2023, 1:32 pm
    Post #95 - January 7th, 2023, 1:32 pm Post #95 - January 7th, 2023, 1:32 pm
    tjr wrote:2 ?s: How well does a rice cooker do with parboiled "Uncle Ben's" style rice? And rice cooker vs. instant pot?

I’ve never bought instant rice so can’t help with that but I tried to do rice in the IP twice and didn’t like the texture compared to the Zojirusji (was stickier and some stuck to the bottom of the pot). I’m sure I could find the right recipe with some practice but since I like to make a pot of rice and leave it on warm for a few days, figuring out the IP method isn’t worry it for me.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #96 - January 7th, 2023, 1:48 pm
    Post #96 - January 7th, 2023, 1:48 pm Post #96 - January 7th, 2023, 1:48 pm
    tjr wrote:rice cooker vs. instant pot?

I get consistently excellent rice with my instant pot (mini), so when my rice cooker finally died, I didn't bother to replace it. Not that I needed a rice cooker; I agree with Lou, it's easy enough to make rice on the stovetop. But it was a present and worked great for about 20 years. The IP was a present too, and for me, it works great as a rice cooker (among many other uses).

The website twosleevers.com is my go-to for IP instructions and recipes of all types, including but definitely not limited to Indian dishes, and it has detailed instructions, including water:rice ratios and pressure cook times, for several types of rice. Basically the water:rice ratio is 1:1 for all rice types except black and arborio (1.5:1). 4 minutes at high pressure and natural pressure release for basmati; for other rice types, I look up the time.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more