LTH Home

I Make Peace with Krab

I Make Peace with Krab
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • I Make Peace with Krab

Post #1 - May 23rd, 2007, 12:00 pm
    Post #1 - May 23rd, 2007, 12:00 pm Post #1 - May 23rd, 2007, 12:00 pm
    I Make Peace with Krab

I’ve been on a diet. Oh, I know what you’re going to ask, “But, Dave, why? You don’t need to diet!”

Kind of you to say.

Yet, my old pants don’t fit…jeez, my old socks don’t fit. I need to drop a few.

So, perusing food labels, I came across this fun fact: there’s only 175 calories and no fat in a package of Louis Kemp Crab Delights.

Now, I’m on record for despising the lie of serving Krab for Crab, but you know, surimi is not bad, for what it is, which ain’t much, but still, it’s less than 200 calories for a whole package.

In the early 80’s, I went to this swank joint in Geneva called, as I recall, 312 West. They served a “seafood sausage” that, in retrospect, I’m pretty sure was surimi. I really liked it. Then I found out about surimi, which I disliked on principle, and even more when unprincipled restaurateurs tried to fool me into thinking it was something it wasn’t.

Tasting a little last night, I realized, I could eat a lot of this stuff. It'd be kind of boring, but no more boring than shopping for new pants.

This stuff, methinks, might help satisfy my hunger without adding much to my gut. Add a little wasabi and soy and shit, it could pass for low-grade sushi.

Plus, a regular sized package, normally around $3.50, is currently priced at Jewel for just a $1.00. Just bought 10.

Hammond
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #2 - May 23rd, 2007, 12:27 pm
    Post #2 - May 23rd, 2007, 12:27 pm Post #2 - May 23rd, 2007, 12:27 pm
    Not that I've done tons of research on this, but I have discovered that different brands vary tremendously in flavor/quality. Unfortunately I can't remember the brand(s) that I favored...
    The first time I went to Arun's (at the old location)he used the stuff in the seafood curry- which made me mildly pissy.
    I love animals...they're delicious!
  • Post #3 - May 23rd, 2007, 12:48 pm
    Post #3 - May 23rd, 2007, 12:48 pm Post #3 - May 23rd, 2007, 12:48 pm
    My mom used to make omelets with krab, which I used to eat with just a little bit of hot sauce and rice on the side. I think this preparation might be better than sushi format. The omelet masked somewhat the funny texture of krab (maybe not true of the Kemp brand), which is much denser and more rubber-like than the real stuff could ever be.
  • Post #4 - May 23rd, 2007, 2:33 pm
    Post #4 - May 23rd, 2007, 2:33 pm Post #4 - May 23rd, 2007, 2:33 pm
    Thanks for the diet tip. I'm off to get some surimi.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #5 - May 23rd, 2007, 3:37 pm
    Post #5 - May 23rd, 2007, 3:37 pm Post #5 - May 23rd, 2007, 3:37 pm
    I, too, will admit that when I'm dieting and am on the search for a high-protein, low-calorie snack, that krab does the trick. (In fact, I'd forgotten about it recently, and will have to pick some up.) I take mine with a horseradishy-cocktail sauce, but will give it a try with soy and wasabi.
  • Post #6 - May 23rd, 2007, 7:47 pm
    Post #6 - May 23rd, 2007, 7:47 pm Post #6 - May 23rd, 2007, 7:47 pm
    chgoeditor wrote:I, too, will admit that when I'm dieting and am on the search for a high-protein, low-calorie snack, that krab does the trick.

Krab is fine...but wait until you try cicada! Super high protein, very low cal, yet with a taste like peanut butter and the deep earthy tang of a creature that's lived underground for 17 years.
  • Post #7 - May 24th, 2007, 12:09 am
    Post #7 - May 24th, 2007, 12:09 am Post #7 - May 24th, 2007, 12:09 am
    To preface slightly, I may have the distinction of being one of the few people who, thus far, prefers Krab to Crab. I'm sure I'll have my mind changed sometime, perhaps soon, as I am finally emerging from the grips of a life-long aversion to seafood.

Krab, however, given its dietetic properties and budget-friendliness, was popular with my college roommates and soon found its way into my diet.

One of my favorite Krab dinners is a version of chirashi sushi. Made with white or brown rice that was tossed with Krab, carrot, bits of nori, avocado and whatever suitable vegetables were kicking around the fridge, i'm sure it bears little resemblance to actual chirashi sushi. But it is fast, tasty, wholesome enough, and keeps well in the fridge for a few days. I like it best at room temperature, with pickled ginger and wasabi. And a cold Sapporo, of course.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough."- Mark Twain
  • Post #8 - May 24th, 2007, 5:42 am
    Post #8 - May 24th, 2007, 5:42 am Post #8 - May 24th, 2007, 5:42 am
    What are the sodium levels like? My guess is they'd be "off the charts," but I'd be happy to learn I'm wrong.

I don't have high blood pressure and so don't have to watch every last gram of sodium, but I don't like to be reckless, either. Even very-high-sodium foods are fine once in a while, but a regular "diet" (in both senses of the word) of Krab, if it's as high in sodium as the taste makes me think it is, might not be a good idea. (But maybe Krab only tastes salty; or maybe the kind I've had is salty, but not the kind you found.)
  • Post #9 - May 24th, 2007, 7:00 am
    Post #9 - May 24th, 2007, 7:00 am Post #9 - May 24th, 2007, 7:00 am
    riddlemay wrote:What are the sodium levels like? My guess is they'd be "off the charts," but I'd be happy to learn I'm wrong.

I don't have high blood pressure and so don't have to watch every last gram of sodium, but I don't like to be reckless, either. Even very-high-sodium foods are fine once in a while, but a regular "diet" (in both senses of the word) of Krab, if it's as high in sodium as the taste makes me think it is, might not be a good idea. (But maybe Krab only tastes salty; or maybe the kind I've had is salty, but not the kind you found.)

You raise a good point: sodium levels are probably high; however, my blood pressure remains in good shape and I tend to be reckless...so Krab is Kool with me!

Hammond
  • Post #10 - May 24th, 2007, 5:48 pm
    Post #10 - May 24th, 2007, 5:48 pm Post #10 - May 24th, 2007, 5:48 pm
    In the story about cicadas featuring cooksguide, C2, The Wife and me, I hope you guys noticed how I snuck the Louis Kemp Crab Delights into one shot:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=5336385
  • Post #11 - May 24th, 2007, 6:17 pm
    Post #11 - May 24th, 2007, 6:17 pm Post #11 - May 24th, 2007, 6:17 pm
    David Hammond wrote:In the story about cicadas featuring cooksguide, C2, The Wife and me, I hope you guys noticed how I snuck the Louis Kemp Crab Delights into one shot:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=5336385
    If you are trying to land a corporate sponsorship deal, I am not sure that placing the product next to a bowl of crawling insects is the right approach.
  • Post #12 - May 24th, 2007, 7:56 pm
    Post #12 - May 24th, 2007, 7:56 pm Post #12 - May 24th, 2007, 7:56 pm
    Actually, I think Hammond is trying to get the franchise on the cicada market, eh?

BTW, here are some nice recipes for the little (or is it 'big' relatively speaking) buggers:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=1866011

Just think, it's ALMOST cicada season in the Mid-west! Add some wasabi, and crunch away!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #13 - May 27th, 2007, 9:36 pm
    Post #13 - May 27th, 2007, 9:36 pm Post #13 - May 27th, 2007, 9:36 pm
    Looked at that:

Any recipe that starts with

"1 cup Worcestershire Sauce"...

might be a tipoff that what follows is not such a gourmet adventure, though maybe a bit of gourmand showoff!

You could braise a spare tire in 1 cup Worcestershire Sauce and make a pretty good meal of it.

Well, OK, you would probably have to julienne the tire first.

Just look at the cicadas and enjoy the marvels of nature. Like, how in hell could they have evolved such a convoluted life cycle.

Marvelous.

Mike
    Suburban gourmand
  • Post #14 - May 28th, 2007, 6:49 am
    Post #14 - May 28th, 2007, 6:49 am Post #14 - May 28th, 2007, 6:49 am
    MikeLM wrote:Looked at that:

Any recipe that starts with

"1 cup Worcestershire Sauce"...

might be a tipoff that what follows is not such a gourmet adventure, though maybe a bit of gourmand showoff!

You could braise a spare tire in 1 cup Worcestershire Sauce and make a pretty good meal of it.

Well, OK, you would probably have to julienne the tire first.

Just look at the cicadas and enjoy the marvels of nature. Like, how in hell could they have evolved such a convoluted life cycle.

Marvelous.

Mike

I'm not sure why you seem contemptuous of Worcestershire Sauce (maybe I'm misinterpreting), but I'm with you all the way regarding the marvel of the cicada. The second day I went out to forage for them, I was standing in front of a tree in the early morning watching all the phases of the cicada life happening right there in front of me: coming out of the ground for the first time in 17 years, the pilgrimage to the tree, the transformation, the emergence. Hunting this prey gave me a newfound respect for this being.
  • Post #15 - March 3rd, 2022, 6:37 am
    Post #15 - March 3rd, 2022, 6:37 am Post #15 - March 3rd, 2022, 6:37 am
    HI,

Does anyone have preferences in brands for krab?

I have had some that were good enough and others that were awful. I never really kept track. Now that we are in Lent, it might be usefull to have some in the freezer.

I hope to get to H-Mart, where I expect there is a wider array of krab. I did see this article suggesting Osaki brand, whose crab sticks are individually wrapped.

Just as important, what brands to avoid. Yes, I know, this whole catagory of food might not meet some people's standards. If you have experience and found some you liked, there just might be some you identified as not as likeable.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #16 - March 3rd, 2022, 1:16 pm
    Post #16 - March 3rd, 2022, 1:16 pm Post #16 - March 3rd, 2022, 1:16 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I hope to get to H-Mart, where I expect there is a wider array of krab. I did see this article suggesting Osaki brand, whose crab sticks are individually wrapped.

Thanks very much for posting this link. I remember seeing the article before but couldn't remember where. I've never seen Osaki at the grocery stores near me, so I'd been meaning to keep an eye out for it at H-Mart or Mitsuwa, but I'd forgotten the name. Also, rereading the article answers another question I had--that it freezes well.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #17 - March 8th, 2022, 10:52 am
    Post #17 - March 8th, 2022, 10:52 am Post #17 - March 8th, 2022, 10:52 am
    The latest tik tok food fad is making homemade crab rangoon, and much of it is made with krab. It looks mighty tasty to me.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #18 - March 8th, 2022, 12:00 pm
    Post #18 - March 8th, 2022, 12:00 pm Post #18 - March 8th, 2022, 12:00 pm
    Mariano's has been promoting fake crab "snow legs" at $10 for a pound tray. Frozen stuff is usually $3 to $4/lb. Am I missing something? $5+ to thaw it out?
  • Post #19 - March 13th, 2022, 9:35 pm
    Post #19 - March 13th, 2022, 9:35 pm Post #19 - March 13th, 2022, 9:35 pm
    HI,

This evening after the small household exchange, I stopped by H-Mart to look for an Osaki brand fish cakes aka fake crab. I found, but the price was something like $11.99 for 17 ounce package.

Since I had already invested the time, I bought a package to at the very least satisfy my curiosity.

As I was leaving H-Mart, I scanned my frequent shopper card to learn I have 609 points. The manager advised there are no premiums until I reach 1000 points.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #20 - April 10th, 2022, 10:10 pm
    Post #20 - April 10th, 2022, 10:10 pm Post #20 - April 10th, 2022, 10:10 pm
    Cathy2 wrote: I stopped by H-Mart to look for an Osaki brand fish cakes aka fake crab. I found, but the price was something like $11.99 for 17 ounce package.

On Friday evening, I gently reheat the Osaki fish cakes in melted butter.

Mother and I put this in a hot dog bun* for a faux crab roll. My Dad ate it as-is without anything else. All of us really enjoyed these fish cakes, which tasted like crab. The only aspect of the prep I did not exactly enjoy was unfolding each fish cake from their wrapper.

*Dad was quite disapproving using his hot dog buns for an end-use not including a hot dog. I bought him more buns to put this to rest.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #21 - April 11th, 2022, 3:11 am
    Post #21 - April 11th, 2022, 3:11 am Post #21 - April 11th, 2022, 3:11 am
    Most Surimi is made from Pollack fished in the Bering Sea.
    Factory boats process the Pollack at Sea into surimi and the bones and skin are further processed to remove the oils. The oil is used to run the engines on the ship and the Roe is salted and frozen for usage. The Surimi pays for cost of the voyage and the roe is the profit.
    I would venture to say 98% of California rolls sold today in the USA contain Surimi.
    Once in awhile Mitsuwa has a booth selling real King Crab in various Bento Boxes.
    The California take out Rolls are excellent and anyone would have hard time distinguishing from real Crab.
    Live King Crab sells for $50/# at H-Mart.
    -Richard
  • Post #22 - April 11th, 2022, 7:26 am
    Post #22 - April 11th, 2022, 7:26 am Post #22 - April 11th, 2022, 7:26 am
    budrichard wrote:I would venture to say 98% of California rolls sold today in the USA contain Surimi.
    Once in awhile Mitsuwa has a booth selling real King Crab in various Bento Boxes.
    The California take out Rolls are excellent and anyone would have hard time distinguishing from real Crab.
    Live King Crab sells for $50/# at H-Mart.

Likely most places if it isn't surimi, it's snow crab, at about half the price.
    I've never seen snow or king crab live -- fresh frozen perhaps?
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #23 - April 11th, 2022, 8:26 am
    Post #23 - April 11th, 2022, 8:26 am Post #23 - April 11th, 2022, 8:26 am

I have now seen live crab at H-Mart and 88 Market. It is usually in a tank in the corner and almost always just one. The only person to date I know who has bought one was our budrichard.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #24 - April 11th, 2022, 10:43 am
    Post #24 - April 11th, 2022, 10:43 am Post #24 - April 11th, 2022, 10:43 am
    Cathy2 wrote:

I have now seen live crab at H-Mart and 88 Market...

I know the bodies on king and snow crab are relatively large. Is there anything worth eating in the body? The stuff you see most places is only a small segment of body (shoulder?) attached to a leg/claw.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #25 - April 11th, 2022, 1:47 pm
    Post #25 - April 11th, 2022, 1:47 pm Post #25 - April 11th, 2022, 1:47 pm
    JoelF wrote:I know the bodies on king and snow crab are relatively large. Is there anything worth eating in the body? The stuff you see most places is only a small segment of body (shoulder?) attached to a leg/claw.

I sure Budrichard will clarify based on his experience.

I have seen youtube videos where they take a live king crab to the table. It can be quite illuminating to see.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #26 - April 12th, 2022, 3:06 am
    Post #26 - April 12th, 2022, 3:06 am Post #26 - April 12th, 2022, 3:06 am
    Spending the large part of a childhood in and around Boston to Maine, I grew up on crab and other assorted crustaceans.
    Other than live, the only picked crab I will purchase is from Browne Trading known as 'Peeky Toe', freshly picked and not pasteurised.
    Any other picked crab is an industrial product, pasteurized for years of shelf life and tastes like it.
    In order of preference and taste for live, is King, Dungeness and Blue , both hard and soft-shell.
    My wife's favorite is soft shell and I have to make an annual pilgramidge to Dirk's when in season.
    Live Jonah is a favorite but very hard to find in Chicago these days.
    The body of all these crabs will have a substantial amount of meat to pick commensurate with the body size.
    From an 8# King, you will get about 22oz of meat from the body.
    The crab 'brains' are saved for a savory soup of some kind.
    H-Mart usually has about 3-4 King's on Saturday morning and they are the Golden King from Norway.
    -Richard
  • Post #27 - April 14th, 2022, 9:59 pm
    Post #27 - April 14th, 2022, 9:59 pm Post #27 - April 14th, 2022, 9:59 pm
    I found Osaki brand surimi today at Assi Plaza on Milwaukee Avenue in Niles for $9.99/17.6 oz (500 g). It was somewhat haphazardly stocked on a shelf along with a very similar dare-I-say knockoff product for $6.99 -- which may be fine for many purposes, and in hindsight, perhaps I should have bought the $6.99 product too for a tasteoff. Just saying, without slowing down to read the fine print on the shelf tags, one could easily conclude that the Osaki surimi was $6.99/lb, which it is not. Now, what I'll do with it, I haven't decided.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more