LTH Home

There may be Wagyu to be had at Mitsuwa

There may be Wagyu to be had at Mitsuwa
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • There may be Wagyu to be had at Mitsuwa

Post #1 - May 26th, 2007, 3:32 pm
    Post #1 - May 26th, 2007, 3:32 pm Post #1 - May 26th, 2007, 3:32 pm
    But it didn't look particularly "Wagyu-y" to me. There was ribeye and there were pre-cut slices for shabu-shabu amd sukiyaki. It looked good, but....there was none of the intense marbling that is present in the Kobe I've had (in Tokyo), nor in the Wagyu I've ordered over the internets here in the US and A.

It was in the >$25 per lb range and I wasn't inspired to drop that kind of cash on an untested product. And yes, I agree in advance that $25/lb does seem a bit on the low side, but that too was part of the decision. They also offered some prime and Black Angus, further muddying the decision-making process.

Anybody tried this? Is it the real deal? I'm inclined to trust Mitsuwa, since they've a great track record....
  • Post #2 - May 26th, 2007, 10:43 pm
    Post #2 - May 26th, 2007, 10:43 pm Post #2 - May 26th, 2007, 10:43 pm
    Super H-Mart also has had Wagyu. I seem to remember it being more on the order of $16/lb for shabu-style slices. I'm planning on heading there tomorrow, so I'll report back.

[reporting back]
    Didn't see Wagyu at H-Mart today. Sorry.
    Did see some wildly incongruous prices, like $11.99 Choice Skirt Steak and $3.99 rib eye (didn't check for choiceness).

Planning on Tandoori Shrimp and Gal Bi for tomorrows BBQ.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #3 - May 28th, 2007, 11:16 am
    Post #3 - May 28th, 2007, 11:16 am Post #3 - May 28th, 2007, 11:16 am
    This isn't particularly relevant, but the Mitsuwa in Edgewater, NJ has what I believe is Wagyu beef. It's not the Washugyu, which I don't find to be very good. They had some sukiyaki-sliced top round (of all cuts?) with very nice marbling for about $50/lb. It's very good, though certainly not in the same vein as Wagyu from various, more luxurious, cuts.

So, Mitsuwa has the distribution channels, it's just a matter of finding the prize.
  • Post #4 - May 29th, 2007, 3:39 pm
    Post #4 - May 29th, 2007, 3:39 pm Post #4 - May 29th, 2007, 3:39 pm
    I have had long taks with the head butcher at Mitsuwa, Arlington Heights. He is caucasian but I believe one must belong to the Meat Cutter's Union in Illinois.
    He purchases the lower end because people will simply not pay the prices for top quality. I have had the Wagyu many times and while very good, it is not Grade 12 and certainly not anywhere close to A5 Kobe beef. Tonight we are having 'Prime Waygu Chuck' cut for Shabu Shabu beef. It looks great and will be very good as is all the beef I get from Mitsuwa but if it's real top quality Waygu or Kobe you want, you have to go elsewhere.
    You can do a search and read my search for the Ultimate Kobe beef.-Dick
  • Post #5 - June 2nd, 2007, 1:09 pm
    Post #5 - June 2nd, 2007, 1:09 pm Post #5 - June 2nd, 2007, 1:09 pm
    Just fixed myself a plate of wagyu from Mitsuwa, and while I agree it's not the best wagyu/Kobe I've ever had, it was still unbelievably good. And since I can't afford the top-of-the-line stuff on a regular basis, I'm happy that someone does have the fabulous-but-just-not-the-best version available in a price range I can smile about.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #6 - September 27th, 2022, 6:32 am
    Post #6 - September 27th, 2022, 6:32 am Post #6 - September 27th, 2022, 6:32 am
    There’s a place where Chicagoans won’t expect to find wagyu beef: a hardware store. Shoppers can now buy steak dogs dragged through the garden at three Home Depot locations in Chicago and four in the suburbs. It’s a partnership between Fixin’ Franks, the hot dog stand stationed at those seven depots, and Vander Farmers, a Michigan-based farm that produces crossbred American wagyu beef.

https://chicago.eater.com/2022/9/26/233 ... u-hot-dogs
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #7 - December 23rd, 2023, 12:58 pm
    Post #7 - December 23rd, 2023, 12:58 pm Post #7 - December 23rd, 2023, 12:58 pm
    Just saw this on their Facebook post—one of Valpo’s more cutting edge restaurants, The Bait Shop, opened up an adjacent butcher shop/deli a while back called D’s Meats and Paninis (yeah, it had to come with some Indiana corn lol).

In case anyone is seeking a holiday splurge and doesn’t mind taking a little ride, they got in some A5 that they’re slicing into 1lb-ish steaks at $166/lb. Certificate of Authenticity posted, for what that’s worth. Pics look pretty good.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/1A2tT8AYSStqYdY9/?mibextid=WC7FNe
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #8 - December 24th, 2023, 9:05 am
    Post #8 - December 24th, 2023, 9:05 am Post #8 - December 24th, 2023, 9:05 am
    Over the years since the Wagyu beef boom started, I have learned a bit and ordered/purchased a number of Wagyu types, Japanese, Australian and US.
    Australian and US production is mostly a cross my research tells me and my purchasing reinforces that conclusion, the marbling is no where near Japanese Wagyu.
    My first experience was with https://www.1-800-kobebeef.com/Rib-Eye- ... -s/101.htm
    Excellent A5 and he is still in business.
    After a-few rounds with Australian and other domestic production, I found Mitsuwa had started to sell Japanese Wagyu at an attractive price, at least compared to other on line retailers,
    While no BMS or grade is provided, it certainly was/is excellent.
    A short foray with Olive Wagyu followed. Nothing special in the world of Japanese Wagyu but certainly excellent.
    https://wagyushop.com/collections/a5-ja ... e9e947500d
    So about every six months or so or when it’s on-sale, a Japanese Wagyu Rib steak makes its way into our freezer from Mitsuwa and the quality has been uniformly excellent. We just had one a few days ago shared among three people and cooked the correct way of searing each side briefly as you cut the steak on the pan as it sears.
    I trim the fat before cooking and render for crunchies, and fat for cooking garlic spears and in this case green peppers, Chinese cabbage go withs.
    Now I have never had Matsusaka Wagyu, I don’t know where to find it and probably would not pay the price.
    As with all high priced limited production item, Buyer Beware!
    There is probably a good deal of High Priced beef for sale claiming to be this and that for sale.
    But if you want a traditional USDA Prime Dry Aged, I know where Jospeh’s is!
    -Richard
  • Post #9 - December 26th, 2023, 9:10 pm
    Post #9 - December 26th, 2023, 9:10 pm Post #9 - December 26th, 2023, 9:10 pm
    Bud,

I really appreciate how much time and money you have spent evaluating all the options, then giving us the low down how to best buy.

You live a really fine food life and make what you cannot otherwise obtain. If you did a class on breaking down a large crab, I would want the first ticket.

Thanks for such interesting posts.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #10 - December 27th, 2023, 2:28 pm
    Post #10 - December 27th, 2023, 2:28 pm Post #10 - December 27th, 2023, 2:28 pm
    Thank you for the comments!
    Crabs range from King to Dungeness, Jonah and Blue in size and effort required to obtain meat is inverse to the size.
    When available at H-Mart, H-Mart is your best bet for quality and price.
    Crabs like lobster m MUST be lively when taken from the tank or for the blue which is sold dry at H-Mart, moving. Note that if the bin has just been filled, the blue crab may not move due to the temperature at which they are held.
    First step whether alive or cooked is to remove the apron underneath.
    Blue crabs for Korean prep are dispatched alive. quartered and aged in a soy sauce blend.
    Otherwise your steamer is your friend for crab.
    After steaming, remove the legs, crack and pick. King may be cut lengthwise.
    The body always comes apart the same, lift the top and bottom apart. Reserve the crab brains or innards and liquid for a stew. Roe in a blue is bright orange and a delicacy.
    Use a lobster pick and pull apart the body, you will find the meat in pockets. Discard the cartilage and shells.
    For any but a-blue crab, we give a light wash before service to remove the various bits remaining
    We usually serve each person a body part and legs hot and let them do the picking.
    What is not used is cooled, picked later.
    Note: The stuff you get in containers in refrigerated section has either additives or has been ‘flashed Pasteurized’, another term for cooked. It may be from anywhere in the World.
    Never touch the stuff myself along with scallops unless they are shipped directly to me from a shipper I use.
    Hope this helps.
    -Richard
  • Post #11 - February 22nd, 2024, 10:22 am
    Post #11 - February 22nd, 2024, 10:22 am Post #11 - February 22nd, 2024, 10:22 am
    Wagyu comes in all grades as most people know. The highest grade from Japan is A5 which is the most expensive. Then there is A4 Wagyu which is a bit more affordable however still expensive on the Japanese Wagyu scale. Japanese Wagyu is very rich and the palette that Japanese have and how they eat Wagyu is quite different than the American way of eating meat. The Japanese eat very small portions and slice Wagyu thin.

Americans like steaks one inch or 1 1/2 inches or two inches thick. American Wagyu is more suited to the American palate and the way Americans like to eat. There is American Wagyu beef that someone can buy for $20 a pound and there is American Wagyu beef that someone can buy for $100 a pound. All this depends on marbling. $20 a pound Wagyu may not be marbled very much and will be marbled very much like a choice grade, however it will still be more tender, juicy, and full of flavor than Angus can be.

One has to also consider how steak or meat is treated prior to consumption. Meat needs to rest 21 days or longer so that it becomes more tender. If you took the very best quality meat and tried to consume it after the wagyu beef cattle has been processed the meat will most likely be tough. If that meat is wet aged or dry aged 21 days or 30 days up to even 90 days at the right temperature that meat will become very tender. Most meat you buy in the supermarket is quickly processed and put on sale and that meat does not get any rest to tenderize.

Just because meat may not be marbled does not mean it's going to be tender or delicious.

Full disclosure: I have operated a meat business and BBQ restaurant in NH focusing on Wagyu beef for over 10 years called Huntspoint Meat Company https://www.huntspoint.com. We also ship meat all around the United States. We ship US Wagyu beef as well as Japanese Wagyu. We handle a variety of cuts and know how to handle meat at the right temperature for ultimate tenderness.

Our Japanese Wagyu sells for between $130.00 a pound up to over $220 a pound depending on the cut, marbling and how much someone wants to purchase. https://www.huntspoint.com/bbq-meats-wagyu-beef-steaks/japanese-kobe-beef-tajima.html

Our American Wagyu sells for between $20 a pound up to $75 a pound depending on marbling and obviously the cut. https://www.huntspoint.com/wagyu-beef-ribeye-steaks-weight-sale.html

The reality is most American Wagyu producers do not want to dilute their brand by offering lower marbled product. We buy those wagyu beef cuts at a very affordable prices and pass the savings on to our customers. We consider this W grade Wagyu, where the “W” stands for Wagyu beef. W grade Wagyu is not marbled very much but it's still going to be tender, juicy, and delicious.

Then there are miscuts that the processing plant may not cut a loin perfectly or when an animal gets stamped with the USDA mark it might have not been stamped perfectly and that would be considered #2 grade. #2 cuts can be anywhere from W grade up to grade BMS marbling of 8 plus. We source the best cuts and when it’s available, we also purchase this W grade and #2 wagyu product at very affordable prices and pass those savings on to our customers.

In conclusion there are reasons why Wagyu beef can be very affordable, and you cannot let price be your deciding factor for high quality Wagyu that has been handled correctly for ultimate tenderness.

Thank You
    Johnny Love
  • Post #12 - March 1st, 2024, 5:45 pm
    Post #12 - March 1st, 2024, 5:45 pm Post #12 - March 1st, 2024, 5:45 pm
    On 3/2, Sunset is having a one day flash sale on 1/3 lb Wagyu beef patties = 2/$5.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #13 - March 2nd, 2024, 8:08 am
    Post #13 - March 2nd, 2024, 8:08 am Post #13 - March 2nd, 2024, 8:08 am
    If it don't look like this it ain't A5
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #14 - March 2nd, 2024, 8:25 am
    Post #14 - March 2nd, 2024, 8:25 am Post #14 - March 2nd, 2024, 8:25 am
    Alan,

In the future please caption A5 pics with a warning.

~Image likely to result in tumessense~

Jazzfood wrote:If it don't look like this it ain't A5
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #15 - March 3rd, 2024, 8:53 pm
    Post #15 - March 3rd, 2024, 8:53 pm Post #15 - March 3rd, 2024, 8:53 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Alan,

In the future please caption A5 pics with a warning.

~Image likely to result in tumessense~

Jazzfood wrote:If it don't look like this it ain't A5

Culinary boner?
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #16 - March 4th, 2024, 8:28 am
    Post #16 - March 4th, 2024, 8:28 am Post #16 - March 4th, 2024, 8:28 am
    Jazzfood wrote:Culinary boner?

Yes, though I wrote "result in tumescence" 'cause I bees fancy.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #17 - March 7th, 2024, 7:07 am
    Post #17 - March 7th, 2024, 7:07 am Post #17 - March 7th, 2024, 7:07 am
    In reply to ‘Johnny Love’!
    “ slice Wagyu thin” may be a misnomer.
    The Japanese cook their Wagyu A5 type grades very differently than we cook steak in the USA.
    Typical restaurant preparation is a stainless heated bar aka like a Sushi Bar but heated stainless between the customer and the Chef.
    The customer selects the cut and grade and that is presented before preparation.
    The objective in cooking is to maximize flavor be insuring that all sides of the bite of meat are seared in a cube of 6 sides. The meat is not sliced thin as per sushi.sashimi but a good size bite.
    The initial cut is first seared in it’s two prominent sides, sliced into strips and the exposed sides seared after which the meat is again sliced into cubes and the remaining two sides seared. Usual final preparation is internally raw.
    There is no comparison between American or Australian Wagyu beef and Japanese Wagyu, it’s in name only.
    After sourcing from various services all over the USA for at least 20 years or more, I have settled on Mitsuwa as my eyes tell me that what they sell is A5 or as close to A5 as I have ever obtained.
    My mouth and taste second that judgement.
    Jazzfood has the correct picture.
    Your ‘W’ grade reads like an advertising and marketing advertisement as US Beef is only Graded to USDA Standards and so marked on the beef, no ‘W’ stamp.
    My favorite cut for Japanese Wagyu is a Rib Eye of which your company offers none.
    As to dry aging, in the Chicago area we have two outstanding sourced of USDA dry aged beef, Ziers and Josephs Meat.
    Anyone looking for the best in USDA Dry aged in the Chicago area should not look elsewhere, it’s never frozen either.
    As to on-line Japanese Wagyu in my opinion it’s a crap shoot!
    -Richard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more