LTH Home

Live lardoblogging and guancialebloggisimo!

Live lardoblogging and guancialebloggisimo!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - April 3rd, 2009, 9:38 am
    Post #31 - April 3rd, 2009, 9:38 am Post #31 - April 3rd, 2009, 9:38 am
    Here's the story:

So I took it out of the cure, a bit impetuously, after about three months. Half of it to eat right away, half to hang some more and theoretically let it dry out.

Davdi Hammond tried it; we both agreed that it was pretty nice as it was— supple, tasting of the salt, garlic and herbs. That it was hard to imagine what more it might pick up from another three months of laying in the salt mixture. (I must admit I had some regret afterwards, for not sticking out the full six months, although I really do doubt it would have made a real difference. Maybe packed into a true conca full of brine expressed by the fat, but this was just sitting on dry salt by now.)

The other half I hung in my wine fridge, where I was also soon making coppa (see thread here). I took the lardo down last night as well:

If there's any difference between what I took down some months back and this, I can't taste it. Had it been by itself, it might have dried out a little more, which would have been fine, but with the coppa hanging in the same fridge losing its moisture, it didn't come out any differently. So, three months, five months, doesn't seem to make a vast difference when it comes to lardo. It's all good.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more