LTH Home

Favorite Old-School Thin-Crust Pizza Recipes?

Favorite Old-School Thin-Crust Pizza Recipes?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Favorite Old-School Thin-Crust Pizza Recipes?

Post #1 - September 13th, 2007, 12:58 pm
    Post #1 - September 13th, 2007, 12:58 pm Post #1 - September 13th, 2007, 12:58 pm
    I would love to be able to create a good, New York-style thin-crust pizza using a recipe passed down through the generations. Does anyone have any they would be willing to share, or perhaps a link to a page that they have used to make a good old-fashioned pizza?
  • Post #2 - July 11th, 2021, 7:34 pm
    Post #2 - July 11th, 2021, 7:34 pm Post #2 - July 11th, 2021, 7:34 pm
    For the 4th of July, I made an Edwardo's type stuffed pizza. I am not quite satisfied with the result, but it was a good beginning.

I also made additional pizza dough for later in the day, which never got used. I sat in the rear of the refrigerator until today. I took it out about two hours before it was needed to bring the temperature up to 60 degrees. Any less and I risked a dough likely to puff up.

While there was enough dough to make another deep dish pizza, I split the dough to three 10-ounce portions to make thin crust verging on cracker crust pizzas similar to Vito and Nick's.

Why Vito and Nick's? I bumped into a video (linked below) from Cook's Country making a Vito and Nick's (V&N) sausage pizza. While I used my existing dough, I made the sauce and seasoned ground pork to emulate V&N.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-NZ0kIexkc

I had pound of whole milk mozarella. While it was suggested to have six ounces of cheese, each pizza had 5.33 ounces instead.

About 45 minutes before cooking, I arranged a bottom rack with a steel plate, then a rack just above with leftover heavy foil just above to keep heat from disipating.

My leftover dough was super hydrated. After an initial roll out to the counter, it was not cooperating to be lifted off. I ended up using parchment paper to roll it out and bake on. Easy to tilt onto the steel for the initial cook. After 15 minutes at 500 degrees it was time to remove, a spatula helped with the initial lift onto a cookie sheet.
    Cooled for five minutes and dug in. I made two sausage and one pepperoni. The pepperoni was bought in stick form and hand cut.

An impressively good pizza, if I have to say so myself!

Flash forward about six hours, it is terrific cold from the refrigerator and keeping its shape.

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more