LTH Home

Creamy Garlic Dressing

Creamy Garlic Dressing
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - September 3rd, 2022, 11:18 am
    Post #31 - September 3rd, 2022, 11:18 am Post #31 - September 3rd, 2022, 11:18 am
    Jazzfood wrote:Won 3 pro chef competitions @ S.Fla Garlic Fest and wrote a manuscript on the history of garlic going back 10,000 yrs. https://www.amazon.com/Garlic-Manifesto-idiosyncratic-view-through-ebook/dp/B00IA3D07E. May I suggest 2 things? One, forget granulated garlic powder. Two, use freshly minced garlic but blanch briefly.

Blanch before mincing?

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #32 - September 3rd, 2022, 12:43 pm
    Post #32 - September 3rd, 2022, 12:43 pm Post #32 - September 3rd, 2022, 12:43 pm
    No. You do it post mince. Allicin is an enzyme produced when you break the cell structure of garlic. It has a lot to do w/odor and healing properties but also "repeating" as in fartz. Most of the garlic supplements remove it and therefore are fairly worthless. You're looking for surface area exposure so whole doesn't cut it in this case. Maybe roasting. Once chopped you need to dilute it if you're using raw or cook it bit if you're not- @ least I would. I seem to recall having to do it 3 times for a chef I worked w/@EBC but it was too mild so do it once w/better results (my opinion). We did it in acidulated water (vinegar, water, some brunoise shallots and the garlic) for about 3 mins, cooled it and used as the base to build the sauce on. Like a gastrique.
    Last edited by Jazzfood on September 3rd, 2022, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #33 - September 3rd, 2022, 1:49 pm
    Post #33 - September 3rd, 2022, 1:49 pm Post #33 - September 3rd, 2022, 1:49 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:No. You do it post mince. Allicin is an enzyme produced when you break the cell structure of garlic. It has a lot to do w/odor and healing properties but also "repeating" as in fartz. Most of the garlic supplements remove it and therefore are fairly worthless. You're looking for surface area exposure so whole doesn't cut it in this case. Maybe roasting. Once chopped you need to dilute it if you're using raw or cook it bit if you're not- @ least I would. I seem recall having to do it 3 times for a chef I worked w/@EBC but it was too mild so do it once w/better results (my opinion). We did it in acidulated water (vinegar, water, some brunoise shallots and the garlic) for about 3 mins, cooled it and used as the base to build the sauce on. Like a gastrique.

Got it. Make sense. Now that I think of it, I've followed some other recipes that called for the same technique. Thanks!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #34 - September 3rd, 2022, 5:39 pm
    Post #34 - September 3rd, 2022, 5:39 pm Post #34 - September 3rd, 2022, 5:39 pm
    But what if you like it sharp? I microplane it straight into a mix of mayo and sour cream or buttermilk, lemon, salt, pepper.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #35 - September 3rd, 2022, 8:14 pm
    Post #35 - September 3rd, 2022, 8:14 pm Post #35 - September 3rd, 2022, 8:14 pm
    Make it to your taste. We were making it for the masses in 5 gal batches and it was overpowering. The chefs were French and that was how they handled it. I was but a young grasshopper learning and did as told until I left town in 86. I still have the recipe written in bad English somewhere. Nearly 40 yrs ago...
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #36 - February 21st, 2023, 3:55 pm
    Post #36 - February 21st, 2023, 3:55 pm Post #36 - February 21st, 2023, 3:55 pm
    Found these posts and thought I would add to it.
    A few Chicago Restaurants use Bonne Chere Creamy Garlic Dressing. Sold in gallons only.
    When making from scratch Durkee Liquid Garlic Juice delivers a pretty good punch.
  • Post #37 - February 25th, 2023, 7:20 pm
    Post #37 - February 25th, 2023, 7:20 pm Post #37 - February 25th, 2023, 7:20 pm
    Nice addition to one of my favorite threads, thank you.
  • Post #38 - February 26th, 2023, 12:13 am
    Post #38 - February 26th, 2023, 12:13 am Post #38 - February 26th, 2023, 12:13 am
    We used Bonne Chere at Burt's. One of the best brands I've had. Wish it came in smaller sizes. Doesn't freeze well. Separates when it thaws. Maybe we could organize a co-op to split a gallon. Not worried about the cost, just don't want it to go to waste.

Buddy
  • Post #39 - February 26th, 2023, 8:52 am
    Post #39 - February 26th, 2023, 8:52 am Post #39 - February 26th, 2023, 8:52 am
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:We used Bonne Chere at Burt's. One of the best brands I've had. Wish it came in smaller sizes. Doesn't freeze well. Separates when it thaws. Maybe we could organize a co-op to split a gallon. Not worried about the cost, just don't want it to go to waste.

Buddy

There could be the one-time exchange of stuff that you buy in bulk and cannot use all of it.

I want to buy the really big bag of Shitake mushrooms in Chinatown. Too much for one, but shared among others the price, quantity and quality are reasonable.

I like the idea.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more