Christmas Eve
    54%
    Christmas Day
    31%
    Neither/Other (please explain)
    15%
    Total votes : 39
  • Post #31 - December 28th, 2020, 1:45 pm
    Post #31 - December 28th, 2020, 1:45 pm Post #31 - December 28th, 2020, 1:45 pm
    Hi,

I fermented them for a week during the summer. I made enough to enjoy some when it was first made, then I kept some for Christmas. I bought the tiny mushroom dumplings from Shop and Save.

The inspiration came from the book, Fresh from Poland: New Vegetarian Cooking from the Old Country.

I really, really liked this book. I made a number of recipes from it and will buy it eventually. It was a cookbook club selection.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #32 - December 29th, 2020, 1:54 pm
    Post #32 - December 29th, 2020, 1:54 pm Post #32 - December 29th, 2020, 1:54 pm
    When I was in Grad School, my office mate invited me to his Christmas Eve Soiree which he had every year for his friends. As I am a Vegetarian, I told him that I will bring something to share for a main course, and that way I am not obligating him/wife to make something just for me.

I ended up making "Christmas Fried Rice" .... regular fried rice, with Red Peppers and Green Peas!! It was a big hit, and from then on till I was in Grad School it became a tradition for me to bring it every year. When I left, his wife took a recipe from me to continue with it.

After I moved to Chicago; I started doing the Jewish Christmas ... Chinatown and a Movie at Showplace Icon on Roosevelt; after volunteering in the morning at the Shedd Aquarium! Alas, this year was undone by the pandemic.

So I went back to may grad school days and made Christmas Fried Rice again. Delicious!!
  • Post #33 - December 23rd, 2021, 2:30 pm
    Post #33 - December 23rd, 2021, 2:30 pm Post #33 - December 23rd, 2021, 2:30 pm
    Contributing my part for tomorrow's Feast of the Seven Fishes at my daughter's house. I'll be doing prep today for Linguine & Clam Sauce, which is a doctored Rachael Ray recipe with whole & chopped clams, clam broth, garlic, anchovy paste, thyme, white wine, crushed red pepper and flat parsley. In the right balance, this is fabulous.

Also, I'll be prepping a recipe from Joseph 'Joe Dogs' Iannuzzi from The Mafia Cookbook for Shrimp Scampi. I have bastardized the makeup here as well because after laying out the shrimp (this year only 26-30 ct, have done as large as 8 ct) like soldiers, I spread the 'goop' consisting of butter, shallots, garlic, lemon, flat parsley, bread crumbs, egg yolk, hot sauce. Over the years, off-recipe I have added Courvoisier, Hennessy, Remy St. Martin, even high-end anejo tequila or Captain Morgan--just enough to give it a nutty taste, like sherry does to lobster bisque.

The recipe also says to broil the shrimp 3-5 min, but I find baking at 375 for 10-12 minutes, then broiling until it starts to brown works best.
  • Post #34 - December 24th, 2021, 11:24 pm
    Post #34 - December 24th, 2021, 11:24 pm Post #34 - December 24th, 2021, 11:24 pm
    I'm intrigued by both of these dishes, Jay, as I'm always trying to get better at both linguine w clam sauce and shrimp scampi. I searched online for the Rachael Ray recipe for starters. I am going to do some testing of both and will probably have some questions for you at the next LTH North lunch.

Buon Natale!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #35 - December 25th, 2021, 6:51 am
    Post #35 - December 25th, 2021, 6:51 am Post #35 - December 25th, 2021, 6:51 am
    Ellen: "Stop taking pictures, its Christmas let me eat in peace"

click to enlarge

Happy Holidays one and all!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #36 - December 25th, 2021, 10:34 am
    Post #36 - December 25th, 2021, 10:34 am Post #36 - December 25th, 2021, 10:34 am
    HI,

I have had an ambivalance toward Christmas preparation, which is more related to having more ideas than time or people to consume them. I am not a big fan of endless leftovers.

For Christmas Eve, my nod to Wigilia was Polish Beet Soup (Barszcz or Borscht). I kept the vegetables in and added Polish mushroom dumplings aka Uszka purchased at Shop and Save last weekend.

At Shop and Save, I also bought salted herring fillets. These were desalinated in multiple changes of water. I made a pickling solution following a recipes from NYT. I always make the plain pickle, then when Mom expresses a preference for creamed, I then add sour cream. This year I switched from white vinegar to rice vinegarm, which is always my choice for quick pickles. I will continue on this track into the future.

I baked a loaf of bread, because I wanted fresh and crisp crusted bread for a fondue. I was prepared to buy a half pound each of gruyere and emmentaler cheeses and some wine. While checking out the cheeses at Woodman's, I found a shelf with several fondue kits as well as premade ready for the microwave. At this point, I knew I was in for at least $15 in cheese and did not yet have the wine. I ended up buying President's one-pound premade fondue for $6.25 (it was $7.25 with a dollar off coupon attached).

I wasn't really sure if my family liked the fondue. An impression highlighted by my sister's glib comment, "Oh it is the 1970s all over again."

A few minutes in the microwave, we had a quantity of really hot cheese, it was pretty good. My sister took a slice of bread, spread warm cheese, ate it and declared herself done. This one and done was also my parents position, too. Every one liked it, but nobody wanted more. I am glad I did not go to town with apple slices and assorted vegetables for dipping. I guess they would have become slaw.

Christmas Eve dinner concluded with a movie, The Bells of Saint Mary's.

There was more food in the wings, but I am glad I kept it in the freezer: South Dakota lamb chops.

Next year, I am getting take-out Wigilia following Bud Richard's example.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more