LTH Home

Knives

Knives
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 7
  • Post #121 - June 29th, 2019, 12:31 pm
    Post #121 - June 29th, 2019, 12:31 pm Post #121 - June 29th, 2019, 12:31 pm
    Geo wrote:Wow, what a great site! Tnx Ronnie! ....but I can see it's going to be a time-spending black hole for me. Ouf. Just what I needed. Still and all, tnx Ronnie!

Geo

Don't thank me. Thank gastro gnome. And yes, it's a major rabbit hole. But at least now, I know how little I actually know! :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #122 - November 29th, 2019, 9:16 am
    Post #122 - November 29th, 2019, 9:16 am Post #122 - November 29th, 2019, 9:16 am
    Korin is offering 15% off on knives until 12/31/19
    https://www.korin.com/
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #123 - November 29th, 2019, 10:55 pm
    Post #123 - November 29th, 2019, 10:55 pm Post #123 - November 29th, 2019, 10:55 pm
    Misen is offering a 25% off sale, site wide. Use coupon code
    HOLIDAY25. It has been extended through the weekend, so 11/30 & 12/1/2019. They seem to be automagically applying the discount without the need to enter the code. YMMV.

This thread has convinced me to order from them, as well as a Misono from Korin.

edited to update the sale dates and to say, I ordered the knives. The Korin sale, mentioned by G Wiv, includes free shipping on knives over $100, but you have to put in a code and be sure to select the UPS lower 48 state shipping.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #124 - December 3rd, 2019, 12:45 am
    Post #124 - December 3rd, 2019, 12:45 am Post #124 - December 3rd, 2019, 12:45 am
    I'm not a professional chef, cook, whatever the PC term is, I cook for me and occasionally for friends/neighbours. I'd like to improve my knife skills, but the classes I've seen around here, in Portland Oregon mostly, seem to be taught by a clerk at the kitchen store. Maybe they know their stuff, but I have no way to judge.

So, does anyone here know of classes around here that I can trust, or Youtube videos that are trustworthy?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #125 - December 3rd, 2019, 12:49 am
    Post #125 - December 3rd, 2019, 12:49 am Post #125 - December 3rd, 2019, 12:49 am
    Xexo wrote:I'm not a professional chef, cook, whatever the PC term is, I cook for me and occasionally for friends/neighbours. I'd like to improve my knife skills, but the classes I've seen around here, in Portland Oregon mostly, seem to be taught by a clerk at the kitchen store. Maybe they know their stuff, but I have no way to judge.

So, does anyone here know of classes around here that I can trust, or Youtube videos that are trustworthy?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Poke around youtube. I'm confident you'll find many helpful videos. They won't all be great, though. That's for sure.

=R=
  • Post #126 - December 23rd, 2019, 11:30 am
    Post #126 - December 23rd, 2019, 11:30 am Post #126 - December 23rd, 2019, 11:30 am
    So I got my 3 Misen knives yesterday - paring/utility/chef's - really nice weight and feel. Only issue was the chef's had a small patch of pitting out towards the end on one side. Not horrible, but bad enough that it was easily visible to the naked eye. I've contacted them via email, response was quick - that they've had a large number of emails and would respond in 24-72 hours. Not sure how they will handle it, but I'll let you all know once I hear back....
  • Post #127 - December 23rd, 2019, 5:23 pm
    Post #127 - December 23rd, 2019, 5:23 pm Post #127 - December 23rd, 2019, 5:23 pm
    I've been very happy with the same Misen Knives three pack, the bread knife is a favorite!
  • Post #128 - January 11th, 2020, 7:16 pm
    Post #128 - January 11th, 2020, 7:16 pm Post #128 - January 11th, 2020, 7:16 pm
    Been jonesing for an old school carbon steel wood handled knife for a while, and I recently found some at an unlikely source: Townsends reenactment company out of Indiana sells a really nice set of hand forged carbon steel kitchen knives for reasonable prices (https://www.townsends.us/products/cooks ... 173-p-1325):

In a previous life I was pretty heavily involved in the reenactment scene, and I know from experience that a lot of the stuff sold in that scene is costume quality only or just plain crap. But these knives are the real deal. The edges are sharp out of the box, the handles are solid (and beautiful with the tiger stripe wood), and the blades taper up to a pretty stout spine that makes them ideal for kitchen butchery tasks like taking apart a chicken.

Despite the robust blades, the edges are more than fine enough for delicate cutting too. Scallions fell apart cleanly with with a rock chop, with no ragged edges or pieces sticking together:
    I'm very happy with these Townsends knives, which upon further digging I find out are made by an Indiana guy named Jeff White. The only caveats are that the blades must be hand dried like any carbon steel blade, and that the handles seem to be untreated wood and should probably be sealed so they don't soak up too much moisture. I strongly recommend these to anyone looking for a highly functional but old fashioned kitchen knife.
    Last edited by eating while walking on January 11th, 2020, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #129 - January 11th, 2020, 7:21 pm
    Post #129 - January 11th, 2020, 7:21 pm Post #129 - January 11th, 2020, 7:21 pm
    eating while walking wrote:Been jonesing for an old school carbon steel wood handled knife for a while, and I recently found some at an unlikely source: Townsends reenactment company out of Indiana sells a really nice set of hand forged carbon steel kitchen knives for reasonable prices:

In a previous life I was pretty heavily involved in the reenactment scene, and I know from experience that a lot of the stuff sold in that scene is costume quality only or just plain crap. But these knives are the real deal. The edges are sharp out of the box, the handles are solid (and beautiful with the tiger stripe wood), and the blades taper up to a pretty stout spine that makes them ideal for kitchen butchery tasks like taking apart a chicken.

The edges are fine enough for delicate cutting too. Scallions fell apart cleanly with with a rock chop, with no ragged edges or pieces sticking together:
    I'm very happy with these Townsends knives, which upon further digging I find out are made by an Indiana guy named Jeff White. The only caveats are that the blades must be hand dried like any carbon steel blade, and that the handles seem to be untreated wood and should probably be sealed so they don't soak up too much moisture. I strongly recommend these to anyone looking for a highly functional but old fashioned kitchen knife.

Very cool. Do you know what kind of steel they're made from?

I would suggest Tru-Oil for those handles. Its main use is gun stocks but it does a great job on unfinished knife handles, too, and it won't alter their color very much at all.

=R=
  • Post #130 - January 12th, 2020, 8:04 am
    Post #130 - January 12th, 2020, 8:04 am Post #130 - January 12th, 2020, 8:04 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Very cool. Do you know what kind of steel they're made from?
    I would suggest Tru-Oil for those handles. Its main use is gun stocks but it does a great job on unfinished knife handles, too, and it won't alter their color very much at all.

=R=

Thanks for the Tru Oil tip Ronnie, I’ll check it out. These are made from 1095 steel I believe.
  • Post #131 - January 12th, 2020, 8:15 am
    Post #131 - January 12th, 2020, 8:15 am Post #131 - January 12th, 2020, 8:15 am
    Mineral oil ( You can get it at any drug store ) will also do a good job, but I imagine that the gun oil would do a better job.
  • Post #132 - January 12th, 2020, 8:52 am
    Post #132 - January 12th, 2020, 8:52 am Post #132 - January 12th, 2020, 8:52 am
    eating while walking wrote:Been jonesing for an old school carbon steel wood handled knife for a while, and I recently found some at an unlikely source: Townsends reenactment company out of Indiana sells a really nice set of hand forged carbon steel kitchen knives for reasonable prices (https://www.townsends.us/products/cooks ... 173-p-1325):

Despite the robust blades, the edges are more than fine enough for delicate cutting too. Scallions fell apart cleanly with with a rock chop, with no ragged edges or pieces sticking together:

Very cool. Thanks for the tip. For that price and free shipping, I'll be adding to my collection!
  • Post #133 - March 28th, 2020, 3:28 am
    Post #133 - March 28th, 2020, 3:28 am Post #133 - March 28th, 2020, 3:28 am
    Korin is currently offering all in-stock items, including knives, at 20% discount. This brings my favorite Misono carbon steel 8.2-inch chef knife to $95.00.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #134 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:18 pm
    Post #134 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:18 pm Post #134 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:18 pm
    So I got a set of Opinel steak knives for Christmas and just got to use them today. I'm a huge fan of Opinel's classic simplicity and have carried a No. 7 Carbone for years, but unfortunately these steak knives are a step down in quality from the rest of the Opinel lineup. They have the classic look, but the blades are overly flexible and the edges are somewhat soft. They cut OK, but once again suffer in comparison to my No. 7 which just glides through meat.

So my review of these knives is kinda so-so. Not terrible but there must be better choices out there.
  • Post #135 - April 27th, 2020, 1:22 pm
    Post #135 - April 27th, 2020, 1:22 pm Post #135 - April 27th, 2020, 1:22 pm
    A bit late, but then as Robin Williams once said at a show in San Francisco, "better latent than never."
    MyXmas.jpg My Xmas Presents from me 2019

Bottom up:
    First two are Misen 6" utility and 8" chef's.
    Third is Sakai Takayuki 33-Layer VG10 Damascus Hammered Japanese Chef's Gyuto Knife 210mm, from Hocho Knife.
    Forth is Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Gyutou 8.2" (21cm) - Right handed, from Korin.
    Finally at the top is Takamura Chromax Gyuto 210mm, from Chef Knives to Go.

The Misen recommended by several people here, he Misono by Gary, and the other two by ronnie suburban. So far, I've only used the Misen. I'm a bit scared to use the others, thinking they are too good for me.

My older knives.
    myknives.jpg My old knives

Bottom up:
    First, I have no idea what this knife is, not even sure where I got it, must likely an estate sale for a couple of bucks. I used it at work to cut up Costco 1/2 sheet cakes. Worked great for that.
    Second, a bread knife which I grew up with. Have no idea where my mom got it. Still cuts fine. Yes, that is electrician's tape holding the handle together.
    Third, a Stainless Steel fishing knife. Bought by my mom or brother back in the early 1970s. Mom had two, and gave me this one when I got my own apartment in the late 70s. Used it to shut a door to door knife salesman down cold. His knives weren't as good, or as sharp.
    Fourth, a Stainless Steel, Robinson's chef knife made in Solingen Germany. About 8.75" long. Can't find out much about this knife. Again, I don't remember buying it, but an estate sale buy, not more than 3 bucks.
    Fifth and Sixth, carbon steel, I think, no id what so ever on them, about 10". Again, estate sale finds, no more than 3 bucks each. The knife sharpner at the Saturday Market told me they were good knives. Recently started using these and must say, I like the 10" knife, I didn't think I would.
  • Post #136 - May 8th, 2020, 12:39 am
    Post #136 - May 8th, 2020, 12:39 am Post #136 - May 8th, 2020, 12:39 am
    Misen has added the "Short Chef" knife, for those who need a shorter chef knife. A 6.8 inch knife for $55, in case anyone here needs one.
  • Post #137 - July 23rd, 2020, 1:36 pm
    Post #137 - July 23rd, 2020, 1:36 pm Post #137 - July 23rd, 2020, 1:36 pm
    Seems the only knife I show is my day to day Misono carbon steel. Thought I'd post a few others over the next week or three. Starting with . . .

A custom set from Middleton I bought a few years ago, right about the time he got initial profile in Garden and Gun. I spoke to him on the phone a few times, waited 5-6 weeks and, when they arrived, was blown away. I've cut one carrot with the paring knife, once, and a half carrot at that, simply too beautiful to use. Its a shame, I know, I just can not bring myself to use.

To my knowledge Middleton is no longer accepting custom orders, and he now has a few lines of knives. His business has deservedly expanded.

11/slicer,
    9/chef,
    7/boning,
    4/paring
    (my preferred sizes)
    And a beer shucker in cherry.

(click for full size)

Middleton Knives, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #138 - July 23rd, 2020, 1:44 pm
    Post #138 - July 23rd, 2020, 1:44 pm Post #138 - July 23rd, 2020, 1:44 pm
    G Wiv wrote: . . . A custom set from Middleton I bought a few years ago, right about the time he got initial profile in Garden and Gun . . .

It that shucker Damascus? Either way, that's a clever-cool idea. What is the steel on the rest of the set? I never figured you as a Safe Queen guy but looking at those knives, I can almost understand it. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #139 - July 23rd, 2020, 1:56 pm
    Post #139 - July 23rd, 2020, 1:56 pm Post #139 - July 23rd, 2020, 1:56 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote: I never figured you as a Safe Queen guy

I have more knives I have never cut anything with, aside from ~maybe~ a sheet of paper, than I have working knives.

Middleton simply says "high carbon steel" pictured knives are not Echo line/"budget" line. He has a few lines of knives now, kind of hard to tell what is what. He is popular, Sean Brock to Rob Levitt are fans.

Beer shucker is not Damascus, though he does make a few very very cool Damascus knives, for $$$.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #140 - July 25th, 2020, 1:45 am
    Post #140 - July 25th, 2020, 1:45 am Post #140 - July 25th, 2020, 1:45 am
    New in box never used, not even paper, old stock carbon steel 12" Sabatier. I bought two maybe 15-years ago, gave one to my nephew in California, who uses his. I've cut with it at his house, its a Beast, a big beautiful sharp surprisingly nimble beast. The Toyota Land Cruiser of knives, or maybe a G-Wagon.

Sabatier carbon steel, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #141 - July 25th, 2020, 7:56 am
    Post #141 - July 25th, 2020, 7:56 am Post #141 - July 25th, 2020, 7:56 am
    Xexo wrote:My Xmas Presents from me 2019

Very very nice! I just spent a few minutes checking out your post, looked when you posted but did not really peruse. Once again, nice!

Pro tip:
    Mineral oil on the wood handles of the two cool older carbon steel knives, and knife handles in general, will perk them up a bit.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #142 - July 25th, 2020, 8:56 am
    Post #142 - July 25th, 2020, 8:56 am Post #142 - July 25th, 2020, 8:56 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Xexo wrote:My Xmas Presents from me 2019

Very very nice! I just spent a few minutes checking out your post, looked when you posted but did not really peruse. Once again, nice!

Pro tip:
    Mineral oil on the wood handles of the two cool older carbon steel knives, and knife handles in general, will perk them up a bit.
    Thanks, I'll do that. Just did this today (Sunday the 26th), and they do look nice. Although I think one handle needs some steel wool taken to it. Not very smooth.

Your Middleton knives look great. Based on what they are charging now, you must have paid a mint for those knives.
    Last edited by Xexo on July 26th, 2020, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #143 - July 25th, 2020, 9:10 am
    Post #143 - July 25th, 2020, 9:10 am Post #143 - July 25th, 2020, 9:10 am
    Xexo wrote:Your Middleton knives look great. Based on what they are charging now, you must have paid a mint for those knives.

I got in ahead of the curve. Quintin Middleton still talked to customers on the phone, would do custom sizes and cost for quality was off the charts.

Middleton knives are still wonderful, though I have not seen his "budget" Echo line in person, but are now higher dollar.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #144 - July 25th, 2020, 4:04 pm
    Post #144 - July 25th, 2020, 4:04 pm Post #144 - July 25th, 2020, 4:04 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Xexo wrote:Your Middleton knives look great. Based on what they are charging now, you must have paid a mint for those knives.

I got in ahead of the curve. Quintin Middleton still talked to customers on the phone, would do custom sizes and cost for quality was off the charts.

Middleton knives are still wonderful, though I have not seen his "budget" Echo line in person, but are now higher dollar.

Are your Middleton knives carbon steel? The Echo all seem to be stainless steel and are the only ones not sold out on his site. His web site does say if you need something customized to call, also there is a gallery of knives and if you see something there you like, to call. Of course, maybe the work is done by one of his apprentices and not him, which may not mean a thing.
  • Post #145 - July 25th, 2020, 5:36 pm
    Post #145 - July 25th, 2020, 5:36 pm Post #145 - July 25th, 2020, 5:36 pm
    Xexo wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:
    Xexo wrote:Are your Middleton knives carbon steel? The Echo all seem to be stainless steel and are the only ones not sold out on his site. His web site does say if you need something customized to call, also there is a gallery of knives and if you see something there you like, to call. Of course, maybe the work is done by one of his apprentices and not him, which may not mean a thing.

Mine are “high carbon steel “Admittedly a bit vague. Not sure what the Echo line is. Though I think if one noodles around enough, his site or random articles, you can find out. He might have a hand in the Echo but it mainly apprentices or employees making them. At least as I understand.

My Middleton are balanced, beautiful and, accounts from those that actually use them, like Rob Levitt, slicey as sh*t. In fact Rob gently took me to task for not using mine.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #146 - July 25th, 2020, 6:17 pm
    Post #146 - July 25th, 2020, 6:17 pm Post #146 - July 25th, 2020, 6:17 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Xexo wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:
    Xexo wrote:Are your Middleton knives carbon steel? The Echo all seem to be stainless steel and are the only ones not sold out on his site. His web site does say if you need something customized to call, also there is a gallery of knives and if you see something there you like, to call. Of course, maybe the work is done by one of his apprentices and not him, which may not mean a thing.

Mine are “high carbon steel “Admittedly a bit vague. Not sure what the Echo line is. Though I think if one noodles around enough, his site or random articles, you can find out. He might have a hand in the Echo but it mainly apprentices or employees making them. At least as I understand.

My Middleton are balanced, beautiful and, accounts from those that actually use them, like Rob Levitt, slicey as sh*t. In fact Rob gently took me to task for not using mine.
    I assume you mean Head Butcher/Chef de Cuisine Rob Levitt at Publican Quality Meats?

And the Stainless Steel Middleton says they use in there Echo Knives is called AEB-L, which you can learn more about here.
    Last edited by Xexo on July 25th, 2020, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #147 - July 25th, 2020, 7:07 pm
    Post #147 - July 25th, 2020, 7:07 pm Post #147 - July 25th, 2020, 7:07 pm
    Xexo wrote:I assume you mean Head Butcher/Chef de Cuisine Rob Levitt at Publican Quality Meats?

Yes, that Mr. Levitt or, as I typically refer to him, Mr. Man. :)

I've had the pleasure of knowing Rob since 2008 when he and his wife Allison opened Mado, then Butcher and Larder on Milwaukee Ave, which moved to Local Foods. Now, as you say, he has found a wonderful fit/home with PQM.

Rob Levitt, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #148 - July 27th, 2020, 6:53 am
    Post #148 - July 27th, 2020, 6:53 am Post #148 - July 27th, 2020, 6:53 am
    My slightly oversize three-opening knife roll. Side pocket contains spoons, tweezers, gloves, multi-tool, lighter, band-aids, small tongs, wipes, sharpies, pens, tape, sharpener, Thermapen and other assorted crap.

And, no, I am not a tweezer kind of guy, but do have on hand for the random micro-green that is a half centimeter off.

Nothing says excess like excess!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #149 - November 17th, 2020, 12:45 pm
    Post #149 - November 17th, 2020, 12:45 pm Post #149 - November 17th, 2020, 12:45 pm
    If anyone who needs a knife has a little extra cash sitting around, this may be just the thing . . . :wink:

=R=
  • Post #150 - November 17th, 2020, 1:17 pm
    Post #150 - November 17th, 2020, 1:17 pm Post #150 - November 17th, 2020, 1:17 pm
    Thanks for the suggestion Ronnie, but that is a touch outside of my price range. :shock: I'd go for one of the knives from the Japanese sword maker Mark got his sword from on that other site, I'm not sure I'm suppose to mention or not.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more