LTH Home

Asian Grocery "Staples" Rec?

Asian Grocery "Staples" Rec?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - July 19th, 2020, 3:00 pm
    Post #31 - July 19th, 2020, 3:00 pm Post #31 - July 19th, 2020, 3:00 pm
    Not sure where to post this, so mods, please move to a more appropriate thread, if it exists. Thank you.

Hoisin and oyster sauces. What are good brands? What brands to avoid? I'm going to be trying some Chinese dishes, and need to get some of both these sauces. Thanks.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #32 - July 19th, 2020, 3:26 pm
    Post #32 - July 19th, 2020, 3:26 pm Post #32 - July 19th, 2020, 3:26 pm
    JoelF made his own hoisin sauce when he ran out 14 years ago, you can find his idea here.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #33 - July 19th, 2020, 3:41 pm
    Post #33 - July 19th, 2020, 3:41 pm Post #33 - July 19th, 2020, 3:41 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:JoelF made his own hoisin sauce when he ran out 14 years ago, you can find his idea here.

Thanks Cathy! Both for the link and the moving of my post.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #34 - July 19th, 2020, 3:50 pm
    Post #34 - July 19th, 2020, 3:50 pm Post #34 - July 19th, 2020, 3:50 pm
    Lee Kum Kee makes good versions of both and is widely available. (LKK’s founder invented oyster sauce.) Megachef oyster sauce is much better, but hard to find and expensive.
  • Post #35 - July 19th, 2020, 4:57 pm
    Post #35 - July 19th, 2020, 4:57 pm Post #35 - July 19th, 2020, 4:57 pm
    Xexo wrote:Hoisin and oyster sauces. What are good brands?

I use, and am happy with:
    - Lee Kum Kee Premium Oyster Sauce (Note premium, LLK has a few grades of oyster sauce)
    -Lee Kum Kee Hoisin sauce

If I can find:
    - Koon Chun Hoisin, though it has a thicker consistency and I prefer the plastic squeeze bottles of Lee Kum Kee for easy dispensing.
    I've used, and liked, Megachef fish sauce but have not seen Megachef oyster sauce. I'd buy on sight just to try, fo sure.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #36 - July 19th, 2020, 5:50 pm
    Post #36 - July 19th, 2020, 5:50 pm Post #36 - July 19th, 2020, 5:50 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Xexo wrote:Hoisin and oyster sauces. What are good brands?

I use, and am happy with:
    - Lee Kum Kee Premium Oyster Sauce (Note premium, LLK has a few grades of oyster sauce)
    -Lee Kum Kee Hoisin sauce

If I can find:
    - Koon Chun Hoisin, though it has a thicker consistency and I prefer the plastic squeeze bottles of Lee Kum Kee for easy dispensing.
    I've used, and liked, Megachef fish sauce but have not seen Megachef oyster sauce. I'd buy on sight just to try, fo sure.
    Thanks for the recommendations Mr. Wiviott. You are most kind.
    cilantro wrote:Lee Kum Kee makes good versions of both and is widely available. (LKK’s founder invented oyster sauce.) Megachef oyster sauce is much better, but hard to find and expensive.
    Thank you cilantro for the recommendations, most appreciated.
  • Post #37 - July 19th, 2020, 9:39 pm
    Post #37 - July 19th, 2020, 9:39 pm Post #37 - July 19th, 2020, 9:39 pm
    And Red Boat Fish Sauce.
  • Post #38 - July 20th, 2020, 8:05 am
    Post #38 - July 20th, 2020, 8:05 am Post #38 - July 20th, 2020, 8:05 am
    Yes Lee Kum Kee Premium Oyster Sauce is my favorite and readily available. Don't get their Panda brand. I would dearly like to try Megachef Oyster Sauce, but haven't seen any retailing.

I also like Koonchun Hoisin sauce. It is a cooking sauce, where as the thin LKK sauce is more of a condiment.

You can get equivalently good fish sauce to Red Boat at Tai Nam or Viet Hoa for half the price. More brands are advertising their protein content (a good measure of how much anchovy was used) so use that to find one. Red Boat is pretty ubiquitous now though.
  • Post #39 - July 21st, 2020, 7:28 pm
    Post #39 - July 21st, 2020, 7:28 pm Post #39 - July 21st, 2020, 7:28 pm
    Thanks for all the advice folks. Here is what I bought today. Some of the purchases are in more than one picture, but I'll only mention them once. ImageKoon Chun Hoisin Sauce, Lee Kum Kee Hoisin sauce, Lee Kum Kee Sweet Bean Sauce, Lian How Brand Hot Bean Sauce.ImageA Thai Oyster Sauce, manufactured by Chuew Huad Co. LTD. (distributed by Tra Maekrua Co, LTD.), Zhen Jiang Vinegar, aged 3 years, Lee Kum Kee's Premium Oyster Sauce, Dragonfly Super Premium Oyster Sauce, Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce.Image White pepper powder, Bamboo shoots, Kikkoman Hello Kitty Soy Sauce - gift for a friend's sister, (other bottles already listed with above pictures). ImageHot Chicken Flavored Ramen (other bottles already listed with above pictures).

Not pictured, some Star Anise, Kewpie Mayonnaise, Sambal Oelek (Huy Fong Foods), and dried Shiitake mushrooms. Couldn't find any Wood Ear, nor the Megachef Oyster Sauce.
  • Post #40 - July 21st, 2020, 8:54 pm
    Post #40 - July 21st, 2020, 8:54 pm Post #40 - July 21st, 2020, 8:54 pm
    Xexo wrote:Thanks for all the advice folks. Here is what I bought today. Some of the purchases are in more than one picture, but I'll only mention them once. ImageKoon Chun Hoisin Sauce, Lee Kum Kee Hoisin sauce, Lee Kum Kee Sweet Bean Sauce, Lian How Brand Hot Bean Sauce.ImageA Thai Oyster Sauce, manufactured by Chuew Huad Co. LTD. (distributed by Tra Maekrua Co, LTD.), Zhen Jiang Vinegar, aged 3 years, Lee Kum Kee's Premium Oyster Sauce, Dragonfly Super Premium Oyster Sauce, Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce.Image White pepper powder, Bamboo shoots, Kikkoman Hello Kitty Soy Sauce - gift for a friend's sister, (other bottles already listed with above pictures). ImageHot Chicken Flavored Ramen (other bottles already listed with above pictures).

Not pictured, some Star Anise, Kewpie Mayonnaise, Sambal Oelek (Huy Fong Foods), and dried Shiitake mushrooms. Couldn't find any Wood Ear, nor the Megachef Oyster Sauce.

Looks like a nice array. Any thoughts on what you plan to make first?

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #41 - July 21st, 2020, 10:50 pm
    Post #41 - July 21st, 2020, 10:50 pm Post #41 - July 21st, 2020, 10:50 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Looks like a nice array. Any thoughts on what you plan to make first?

=R=
    I'm going to first make Jet Tila's Mongolian Beef, sorry about the pages of blogger blah, blah, blah, the recipe is towards the bottom. If I find a better link, I'll change it. His website Chef Jet Tila doesn't have this recipe, but does have some others that look interesting.

After that, I plan on making Robert Delfs's Yu-xian Niu-rou-si, which I can not find a recipe for on-line. Oddly enough, this recipe only needs the bamboo shoots I bought today.
  • Post #42 - July 22nd, 2020, 12:32 am
    Post #42 - July 22nd, 2020, 12:32 am Post #42 - July 22nd, 2020, 12:32 am
    Xexo wrote:
    After that, I plan on making Robert Delfs's Yu-xian Niu-rou-si, which I can not find a recipe for on-line.

I guess you can use the usual recipe for fish-flavored pork slivers and just substitute beef?

Also, after society finally collapses and oyster sauce is the only currency, I think I know who’ll run Bartertown...
  • Post #43 - July 22nd, 2020, 12:51 am
    Post #43 - July 22nd, 2020, 12:51 am Post #43 - July 22nd, 2020, 12:51 am
    cilantro wrote:
    Xexo wrote:
    After that, I plan on making Robert Delfs's Yu-xian Niu-rou-si, which I can not find a recipe for on-line.

I guess you can use the usual recipe for fish-flavored pork slivers and just substitute beef?

Also, after society finally collapses and oyster sauce is the only currency, I think I know who’ll run Bartertown...
    Sorry, I wasn't clear there. I have his book The Good Food of Szechwan, which has the recipe. I just couldn't find an on-line source of the recipe to link to it.

And I'll give you good deals at Bartertown, but Tina sure looks better in a chain mail dress than I ever could. I just don't have the legs for it.
    Last edited by Xexo on July 22nd, 2020, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #44 - July 22nd, 2020, 2:08 am
    Post #44 - July 22nd, 2020, 2:08 am Post #44 - July 22nd, 2020, 2:08 am
    Xexo wrote:Thanks for all the advice folks. Here is what I bought today.

Nice! Can't wait to read the continuing story of who, what, where, when, why and how.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #45 - July 25th, 2020, 11:06 am
    Post #45 - July 25th, 2020, 11:06 am Post #45 - July 25th, 2020, 11:06 am
    cilantro wrote:Lee Kum Kee makes good versions of both and is widely available. (LKK’s founder invented oyster sauce.) Megachef oyster sauce is much better, but hard to find and expensive.

At least five years ago I read about some super-premium oyster sauces and have been looking unsuccessfully in Chicago markets ever since. If anyone finds Megachef (or other), please let us know. I've tried quite a few brands and agree Lee Kum Kee Premium is the best of the readily available brands. And it has the best label too.

botd wrote:You can get equivalently good fish sauce to Red Boat at Tai Nam or Viet Hoa for half the price. More brands are advertising their protein content (a good measure of how much anchovy was used) so use that to find one. Red Boat is pretty ubiquitous now though.

Eight years ago, when Red Boat first became available in Chicago, I did a tasting and it came out on top. More recently, I was part of a group (of 8?) at a Vietnamese restaurant where we tasted maybe ten fish sauces. A fair number were high-quality Phu Quoc products. A few were close, but Red Boat was the near-unanimous favorite. I'm all for saving money, but don't go through enough fish sauce to be terribly concerned with price. But I agree, there are some real bargains to be found. You can put the odds in your favor by focusing on bottles originating on Phu Quoc island that list nothing more than anchovies and salt as ingredients.

Xexo wrote:Thanks for all the advice folks. Here is what I bought today.

Nice assortment. I'll be especially curious to hear your rating of the hoisin sauces, not an ingredient I use a lot of but something I ought to buy soon.

If anyone is looking for high-quality dark soy sauce, here's a tip. I found this bottle (Four Seasons?) at the fairly new market on Wallace at Archer (J Fresh Market, 2411 S Wallace).

It was significantly more expensive than the others (but still reasonable) and there's almost no English on the label, so I decided to take a chance. I'm glad I did as it's probably the best dark soy I've had. The aroma of molasses is unmistakable and it has a full and mellow flavor without too much salt. It will be difficult to go back to other brands if it becomes unavailable. Is anyone able to tell me more about this sauce?
  • Post #46 - July 26th, 2020, 9:12 pm
    Post #46 - July 26th, 2020, 9:12 pm Post #46 - July 26th, 2020, 9:12 pm
    If anyone is interested, my post on the Mongolian Beef I needed the sauces for is here. Well, the one below it? At least when I click on that link I get the post before mine. Sorry. My Bad.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more