LTH Home

Corned Beef - Baked, Simmered, Smoked, Served

Corned Beef - Baked, Simmered, Smoked, Served
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 9
  • Post #211 - March 18th, 2019, 8:50 am
    Post #211 - March 18th, 2019, 8:50 am Post #211 - March 18th, 2019, 8:50 am
    Cathy2 wrote:HI,

I was late in picking up a corned beef. On Sunday morning, the points on sale for $1.99 were gone.

I talked to the butcher at Jewel, who suggested buying Harrington's points at just under $5. a pound. It was trimmed of excess fat and a nice hefty four-pounds. I cooked it for less than five hours at 184 degrees, it was really very, very good.

I made so much side vegetables, I am buying another today to finish up the sides.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Only complaint I have with Harrington's corned beef -- note: I've only eaten it at the restaurant -- is that I find it too lean for my tastes. From GWiv's post on another place, it sounds like the LTH folks must be the ones who want it just a little less lean.
  • Post #212 - March 18th, 2019, 12:34 pm
    Post #212 - March 18th, 2019, 12:34 pm Post #212 - March 18th, 2019, 12:34 pm
    BR wrote:Only complaint I have with Harrington's corned beef -- note: I've only eaten it at the restaurant -- is that I find it too lean for my tastes. From GWiv's post on another place, it sounds like the LTH folks must be the ones who want it just a little less lean.

Just now picked up an almost four-pound Vienna Beef point to compare. Plus at the Highland Park Jewel, you could only buy a full brisket.

There was less than an inch of fat on Harrington. My sister and a friend carved away the fat to give to the visiting dogs. After they left my Dad reminded he likes the fat and was not happy with the dogs getting the good stuff.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #213 - March 17th, 2020, 8:30 pm
    Post #213 - March 17th, 2020, 8:30 pm Post #213 - March 17th, 2020, 8:30 pm
    CornedBeefP2.jpg Happy Saint Paddy's Day! #homecooking
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #214 - March 18th, 2020, 7:33 am
    Post #214 - March 18th, 2020, 7:33 am Post #214 - March 18th, 2020, 7:33 am
    We did the ST Paddy's day feast at our house this year. Reubenfest 2020. 2 griddles and the Cuisinart Griddler that everyone got for xmas in 2009 were in full effect. We also did 2 versions of Corned Beef: Crock for the points, and baked for the flats. We'll be baking them from now on. The veggies can go on the bottom of the baking vessel strategically according to cooking times - i.e. cabbage will go in last. The veggies were fantastic after soaking in all the juice/fat.

My question for the experts:
    What are the main differences between fancy and cheap brands?

My test subjects were two cheap points (1.99lb Bea's Best)
    One cheap 5 lb flat (Aldi's Cattleman's ranch at 2.99lb)
    One mid grade 5lb flat (Costco Morton's brand at 4.69lb)

All tasted great, flats cut nicely, and were leaner as expected. I noticed that the Morton brand actually had a part of the point attached (well played, Morton, well played.)

The grumpy old man in me guesses that these things all come from one or two factories and just get labeled differently along the way. Anyone have any ideas if, in general, what you should expect at different price points? Less fat, better meat grade - anything?

Also, if you can find sourdough rye? It'll level up your Reuben.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #215 - March 18th, 2020, 1:54 pm
    Post #215 - March 18th, 2020, 1:54 pm Post #215 - March 18th, 2020, 1:54 pm
    HI,

Last night, I put a 4.25 pound corned beef point in a Dutch oven filled an inch or two over the meat in the oven set to 190 degrees. It was perhaps a bit overcooked this morning. I pulled it from the water, then kept it on a covered platter to stay warm in the oven.

The corned beef was not as wobbly when I finally portioned it for lunch. Nobody really quibbled, because it fed that itch.

I have five cups of cooking liquid leftover, so up next is sweet and sour cabbage soup.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #216 - March 24th, 2020, 1:08 pm
    Post #216 - March 24th, 2020, 1:08 pm Post #216 - March 24th, 2020, 1:08 pm
    Here's a heads up: corned beef flat cut briskets are $5 off at ALDI on Belmont and Kimball. Unsure about other ALDIs. The product is pretty good and since it's a flat discount, you can get down to almost $2 per pound if you shop smart:

Good freezer fare.
  • Post #217 - March 15th, 2021, 2:05 pm
    Post #217 - March 15th, 2021, 2:05 pm Post #217 - March 15th, 2021, 2:05 pm
    Has anyone done a sous vide corned beef? I have a 4 pound point from Heinens and thinking about doing it hotter and shorter to render the fat and collagen. I saw one recipe that says 180 degrees for 10 hours followed by a sear, vs the standard 135 for a couple of days . Any thoughts?

Thanks, Will
  • Post #218 - March 15th, 2021, 2:36 pm
    Post #218 - March 15th, 2021, 2:36 pm Post #218 - March 15th, 2021, 2:36 pm
    Try it and report back! I've done pastrami, essentially the same thing as corned beef, at 134F for 48 hours with good result. Pre-smoked so the smoke flavor permeates the whole thing but I don't think that affects the texture.

Doug Baldwin, the sous vide expert, does uncured brisket at 176 for 24-36 hrs.
  • Post #219 - March 15th, 2021, 3:08 pm
    Post #219 - March 15th, 2021, 3:08 pm Post #219 - March 15th, 2021, 3:08 pm
    Hi,

I was consulting thermoworks's website yesterday for the temperature of a corned beef. Target temperature was 190 degrees, then it advised it would be finished after holding that temperature for two to three hours.

I will admit I hit that temperature and served within an hour. I just did not have the patience to wait longer. It was the first time in a long time I cooked a flat instead of the point. This corned beef was perfectly fine, though I think I like the point better.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #220 - March 15th, 2021, 7:23 pm
    Post #220 - March 15th, 2021, 7:23 pm Post #220 - March 15th, 2021, 7:23 pm
    That seems about the temperature and timing you'd get if you cooked it in a crock pot. Certainly not the worst way to do it. I tried a pressure cooker once, results were not that good.
  • Post #221 - March 15th, 2021, 7:34 pm
    Post #221 - March 15th, 2021, 7:34 pm Post #221 - March 15th, 2021, 7:34 pm
    tjr wrote:That seems about the temperature and timing you'd get if you cooked it in a crock pot. Certainly not the worst way to do it. I tried a pressure cooker once, results were not that good.

Good to know. I very nearly did that on Sunday, but decided just to go with an oven roast @ 250. It was a flat, cooked dry and uncovered, foiled it at 160F and then took it up to 190-ish (can't remember exact final temp.) Rested for about two hours. Much better than the typical boiling method. I was wondering if it could have used a few more degrees, but I'm not sure it would have broken down any more. It wasn't stringy, it was fairly soft, but not the almost-falling-apart bend you get with an uncured brisket.

My brother does homemade brisket in the sous vide for a couple days. He's never tried hurrying it up at a higher temp, nor has he tried using the point, so unfortunately I can't add any more data other than the regular sous vide method for the flat is quite good (he's been doing it 5 years or so straight now.)
  • Post #222 - March 15th, 2021, 8:33 pm
    Post #222 - March 15th, 2021, 8:33 pm Post #222 - March 15th, 2021, 8:33 pm
    tjr wrote:That seems about the temperature and timing you'd get if you cooked it in a crock pot. Certainly not the worst way to do it. I tried a pressure cooker once, results were not that good.

I did not use a crockpot.

I started it on the stove, then let it simmer in the oven at 250 and later 275 degrees.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #223 - March 16th, 2021, 10:59 am
    Post #223 - March 16th, 2021, 10:59 am Post #223 - March 16th, 2021, 10:59 am
    We plan to sous vide our corned beef this year and are using The Sous Vide Guy's recipe which will be 185 degree for 7 hours. Then we plan to do a quick mustard glaze and a few minutes under the broiler.

https://sousvideguy.com/recipe/sous-vide-corned-beef/
  • Post #224 - March 16th, 2021, 3:32 pm
    Post #224 - March 16th, 2021, 3:32 pm Post #224 - March 16th, 2021, 3:32 pm
    sousvideguy confuses me even more.....all the others I have seen call for adding liquid (stock, beer) to the bag along with the pickling spices. Time to try something different. Here is my plan: add 12 ounces beer to the rinsed point along with pickling spices and some fresh garlic. 16 hours 135 followed by 5 hours 180. fingers crossed. I figure it cant be horrible.

-Will
  • Post #225 - March 16th, 2021, 4:27 pm
    Post #225 - March 16th, 2021, 4:27 pm Post #225 - March 16th, 2021, 4:27 pm
    We were very happy with the ALDI Corned Beef we bought last year, so when they started going on sale a couple weeks ago (Points first @ $1.99/lb, Flats a week later @ $2.99/lb.) I snagged a bunch for us and my parents.

I cooked them all together (2 Points, 4 Flats) in a large, deep baking pan with a bottle of Guinness, covered with foil. With the oven set to 225 degrees, I checked them after six hours. The meat was on its way, but not even close to the tenderness I was after. I took them out again after another five hours and found six beautiful hunks of Corned Beef, comparable in quality to McBob's in Milwaukee; stunningly tender and amazing flavor.

Of course, it was so tender, the beef needed to be chilled overnight before it could be effectively sliced. Even then, there was a tendency to shred, even using a freshly sharpened carving knife. On the upside, there was no need to be overly concerned about slicing against the grain. Still recommended for aesthetic purposes, but totally unnecessary in terms of "chew-ability".

It's no wonder McBob's serves their Corned Beef in chunks, rather than sliced. We still got some good slices out of it, and anything left over will make spectacular Corned Beef Hash--another McBob's specialty.

In retrospect, I'd probably wait until the eight hour mark before checking the beef, then go back hourly until it reached the desired tenderness and texture, without going too far toward the tender side. I'd also cook that quantity in two batches. That much Corned Beef PLUS a bottle of Guinness renders a LOT of liquid which had to be removed using a turkey baster. It was a pretty big mess, but now I've learned.

Once sliced, we portioned out the beef and froze most of it for future use.

I've since gone back and picked up two more Flats to be frozen whole for future cooking. If they stay on sale through St, Paddy's Day, or even go down in price after, I'll pick up a few more.

Happy St. Pat's everybody,
    Buddy

McBob's Pub & Grill
    4919 W. North Ave.
    Milwaukee, WI 53208
    (414) 871-5050
    https://mcbobs.com/
  • Post #226 - March 17th, 2021, 3:16 pm
    Post #226 - March 17th, 2021, 3:16 pm Post #226 - March 17th, 2021, 3:16 pm
    WillG wrote:Has anyone done a sous vide corned beef? I have a 4 pound point from Heinens and thinking about doing it hotter and shorter to render the fat and collagen. I saw one recipe that says 180 degrees for 10 hours followed by a sear, vs the standard 135 for a couple of days . Any thoughts?

Thanks, Will

This is likely a day late and a dollar short, but I did 180º for 10 hours this year. Used a couple of pretty fatty pieces I picked up at the Jewel. Removed the fat, and then sliced down for Reubens. Was really, really good.

As an experiment, have a flat in a dutch oven right now (220º for about 7 hours) with a pint of stout. I will likely mustard/brown-sugar and sear that one before slicing off for eating on the reg - as opposed to in Reubens.
  • Post #227 - March 17th, 2021, 7:18 pm
    Post #227 - March 17th, 2021, 7:18 pm Post #227 - March 17th, 2021, 7:18 pm
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:We were very happy with the ALDI Corned Beef we bought last year, so when they started going on sale a couple weeks ago (Points first @ $1.99/lb, Flats a week later @ $2.99/lb.) I snagged a bunch for us and my parents.

I cooked them all together (2 Points, 4 Flats) in a large, deep baking pan with a bottle of Guinness, covered with foil. With the oven set to 225 degrees, I checked them after six hours. The meat was on its way, but not even close to the tenderness I was after. I took them out again after another five hours and found six beautiful hunks of Corned Beef, comparable in quality to McBob's in Milwaukee; stunningly tender and amazing flavor.

Of course, it was so tender, the beef needed to be chilled overnight before it could be effectively sliced. Even then, there was a tendency to shred, even using a freshly sharpened carving knife. On the upside, there was no need to be overly concerned about slicing against the grain. Still recommended for aesthetic purposes, but totally unnecessary in terms of "chew-ability".

It's no wonder McBob's serves their Corned Beef in chunks, rather than sliced. We still got some good slices out of it, and anything left over will make spectacular Corned Beef Hash--another McBob's specialty.

In retrospect, I'd probably wait until the eight hour mark before checking the beef, then go back hourly until it reached the desired tenderness and texture, without going too far toward the tender side. I'd also cook that quantity in two batches. That much Corned Beef PLUS a bottle of Guinness renders a LOT of liquid which had to be removed using a turkey baster. It was a pretty big mess, but now I've learned.

Once sliced, we portioned out the beef and froze most of it for future use.

I've since gone back and picked up two more Flats to be frozen whole for future cooking. If they stay on sale through St, Paddy's Day, or even go down in price after, I'll pick up a few more.

Happy St. Pat's everybody,
    Buddy

McBob's Pub & Grill
    4919 W. North Ave.
    Milwaukee, WI 53208
    (414) 871-5050
    https://mcbobs.com/

When somebody references McBob’s I always perk up! What did you do, if anything, with the seasoning packets that come with the Aldi corned beef?
  • Post #228 - March 17th, 2021, 9:23 pm
    Post #228 - March 17th, 2021, 9:23 pm Post #228 - March 17th, 2021, 9:23 pm
    I scattered them on top of the meat. In retrospect, next time I think I'll put them in the bottom of the pan and let the spices bloom in the Guinness. I ended up scraping most of it off. Just a personal choice. There are probably folks out there who will insist the spices go on top.

Buddy
  • Post #229 - March 17th, 2021, 9:36 pm
    Post #229 - March 17th, 2021, 9:36 pm Post #229 - March 17th, 2021, 9:36 pm
    Hi,

I put my spices in a tea egg. They do their job without being a pain.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #230 - March 17th, 2021, 10:16 pm
    Post #230 - March 17th, 2021, 10:16 pm Post #230 - March 17th, 2021, 10:16 pm
    I usually cure my own but the corned beef I bought this morning, which was cured by Zier's (where I bought it), didn't come with a spice packet. After I rinsed off the spices that were on it -- leftover from the cure -- I added a hefty teaspoon of fresh pickling spice (minus the cloves!). I just threw it into the instant pot. It was easy enough to avoid when we were eating the corned beef. But I like the idea of using a tea egg or a sachet. I occasionally do that with certain Sichuan dishes because biting directly into those peppercorns can be challenging.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #231 - March 18th, 2021, 6:49 am
    Post #231 - March 18th, 2021, 6:49 am Post #231 - March 18th, 2021, 6:49 am
    Tying the spices in a square of cheesecloth or cotton gauze also works. Ron, why no cloves?
  • Post #232 - March 18th, 2021, 7:27 am
    Post #232 - March 18th, 2021, 7:27 am Post #232 - March 18th, 2021, 7:27 am
    tjr wrote:Tying the spices in a square of cheesecloth or cotton gauze also works. Ron, why no cloves?

Cloves are evil. I've found few recipes where a pinch of allspice doesn't do a better job than a clove.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #233 - March 18th, 2021, 9:30 am
    Post #233 - March 18th, 2021, 9:30 am Post #233 - March 18th, 2021, 9:30 am
    JoelF wrote:
    tjr wrote:Tying the spices in a square of cheesecloth or cotton gauze also works. Ron, why no cloves?

Cloves are evil. I've found few recipes where a pinch of allspice doesn't do a better job than a clove.

Yeah, that's what I meant by sachet. I just tie stuff up in some cheesecloth using butcher's twine.

I'm with Joel on the cloves. A little goes a long way. They overwhelm. I usually don't omit them entirely but I always at least dial them back. In the case of pickling spice, picking them out still leaves plenty clove aroma behind, more than I prefer, honestly.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

• Post #234 - March 18th, 2021, 10:32 am
    Post #234 - March 18th, 2021, 10:32 am Post #234 - March 18th, 2021, 10:32 am
    We were invited to a neighbors for Saint Paddy's Day, corned beef and all. Morning of it seems her granddaughter, who is with her for a few days, has some type of 3-year-old malady.

No worries, I picked up an "any port in a storm" impulse flat (they only had flats, never my first choice) during our bi-monthly senior hour Costco shopping that morning.

5-hours to simmer, 7-minutes to eat. A good time was had by all.

click to enlarge

Corned Beef, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #235 - March 18th, 2021, 11:56 am
    Post #235 - March 18th, 2021, 11:56 am Post #235 - March 18th, 2021, 11:56 am
    I am somewhat embarrassed to admit this but upon removing the meat from the bag I bought it in, I thought this sure doesnt look like a point. Right basic shape and some fat on one side but no interior fat. I go back to the bag and look at the price label that says brisket, which I assumed was point because it was cheaper than the ones labelled brisket flat. Enough with the small pricing label, I turn it over and read the big label which says bottom round corned beef. Not sure how I missed that before but anyway......I did some research and it didnt sound like this was a total disaster (though definitely not what I had planned). Sous vide recipes looked very similar so I pretty much stuck with the plan. 12 oz ipa, spice packet, garlic, red pepper flakes, and (cue the snide comments from Ron and Gary) a few drops of liquid smoke. 15 hours 135 and 6 at 176.
    Turned out pretty darn good. Not particularly salty but flavorful, but needed more liquid smoke. I was worried because a lot of liquid cooked out, but very little of the limited fat. It had tightened up and was very firm, yet it cut easily. It was moist and tender, almost like steak. I will do this again.

-Will
  • Post #236 - March 18th, 2021, 12:20 pm
    Post #236 - March 18th, 2021, 12:20 pm Post #236 - March 18th, 2021, 12:20 pm
    WillG wrote:Not particularly salty but flavorful . . .

I think it's really interesting that even via sous vide, it ended not being too salty. That's good to know. My biggest concern about cooking a commercially cured corned beef en sous vide would be that the salt wouldn't dilute or dissipate at all during cooking. Good to know.

As for liquid smoke, I'm not fan but when it comes to corned beef, I wouldn't prefer any smokiness, anyway. Though their seasoning sets also differ, that's approaching pastrami territory for me. Just a different beast, all together.

=R=

• Post #237 - March 18th, 2021, 12:46 pm
    Post #237 - March 18th, 2021, 12:46 pm Post #237 - March 18th, 2021, 12:46 pm
    WillG wrote:(cue the snide comments from Ron and Gary) a few drops of liquid smoke.

Much as I hate being predictable. :)

If one does Boil-n-Bag what’s a little l@quid sm@ke between friends.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #238 - March 18th, 2021, 1:21 pm
    Post #238 - March 18th, 2021, 1:21 pm Post #238 - March 18th, 2021, 1:21 pm
    Was surprised about the salt level. I only rinsed it, no soaking (other than the ipa cooking liquid).

Not sure I see a huge difference between boiling in a bag and boiling in a pot, other than having more temperature control so that it doesnt actually boil.

-Will
  • Post #239 - March 18th, 2021, 1:30 pm
    Post #239 - March 18th, 2021, 1:30 pm Post #239 - March 18th, 2021, 1:30 pm
    WillG wrote:Was surprised about the salt level. I only rinsed it, no soaking (other than the ipa cooking liquid).

Not sure I see a huge difference between boiling in a bag and boiling in a pot, other than having more temperature control so that it doesnt actually boil.

True, though I'd be more likely to use more liquid in a pot than in a sous vide bag, so I'd expect the saltiness would be reduced via that method. I'd probably add a single beer or less to a bag but I used nearly a full quart of water in the IP.

=R=

• Post #240 - March 18th, 2021, 3:08 pm
    Post #240 - March 18th, 2021, 3:08 pm Post #240 - March 18th, 2021, 3:08 pm
    We corned ours (just a flat...couldn't find any points at Heinen's) over 10 days, gave it a very quick rinse, and then ended up (after a bit more recipe reading) 180 degrees for 10 hours with no liquid in the bag, but the pickling spices applied to the fat side before vacuum sealing. Turned out very similar to what WillG is saying - firm (may a bit too lean), but easily sliced and tender, and very flavorful without being too salty. Our only regret was making too little...after us having dinner and giving some to my folks (in exchange for a loaf of my mom's Irish soda bread), we had JUST enough for a breakfast this morning of corned beef and colcannon hash.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more