LTH Home

Smoke meat everyday...

Smoke meat everyday...
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 56 of 56 
  • Post #1651 - June 12th, 2023, 1:52 pm
    Post #1651 - June 12th, 2023, 1:52 pm Post #1651 - June 12th, 2023, 1:52 pm
    It looks like a lot of us have ignored this order for smoking meat every day as the previous post was almost nine month ago.

I've had a hankering for smoking some meats -- I'm just about out of my stash of portioned-out brisket in the freezer -- and Costco had ribs on sale for $2.49/lb. Not stellar, but still better than Jewel's recent B1G2 at $9.99/lb. Of course you have to buy vacuum packs of 3. Previously, I've smoked one rack, and then the others would slowly decay, uncooked and unloved in the freezer. So I said, let's cook all three, and put the leftovers in the freezer. I had best intentions of inviting some of my descendants (the non-Kosher-keeping ones, natch) but never got around to that.

Following GWiv's instructions in Low and Slow, I fired up the WSM 18, slathered on some mustard, going for the "All-Purpose Rub" instead of the basic. The mix of toasted chiles is very nice (I didn't have pequin, but arbol are about as hot). The 18" WSM doesn't fit three racks well at all -- yes I could have used the lower rack but it wouldn't have helped dealing with the length. A roasting rack, upside down, served very nicely to keep smoke flowing around all sides of the ribs. Tart wash made with pomegranate juice on sale at Jewel.
    About four and a half hours later -- still way too early for dinner -- they were tender but not falling apart. Unfortunately, keeping them in foil in a warm oven steamed them a little more than I like, they'd lost a lot of toothsomeness, still delicious.

Served up with cornbread, Korean-style pickled daikon and carrot, and a dollop of Jewel house-brand Sweet Baby Ray clone.

The remainder were sliced into single single bones in a couple zip bags for random lunches and dinners, except for a couple hefty, almost pork chop-like specimens that the bones fell out of. Those are going into tortas tonight.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1652 - June 12th, 2023, 6:35 pm
    Post #1652 - June 12th, 2023, 6:35 pm Post #1652 - June 12th, 2023, 6:35 pm
    I wish we had a 'like' button because i really like your post.
  • Post #1653 - June 12th, 2023, 7:57 pm
    Post #1653 - June 12th, 2023, 7:57 pm Post #1653 - June 12th, 2023, 7:57 pm
    lougord99 wrote:I wish we had a 'like' button because i really like your post.

I have often wished for that, as well -- sometimes, I just enjoy a post but don't have a response.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #1654 - June 17th, 2023, 9:38 am
    Post #1654 - June 17th, 2023, 9:38 am Post #1654 - June 17th, 2023, 9:38 am
    Ribs on Big Green Egg = Lunch

Click to enlarge

Ribs, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1655 - January 3rd, 2024, 9:45 am
    Post #1655 - January 3rd, 2024, 9:45 am Post #1655 - January 3rd, 2024, 9:45 am
    GE announces GE Profile Smart Indoor Smoker
    Features include
    * Tight gaskets and filters to keep smoke inside
    * Electric heating of wood pellets - can hold food at safe temp up to 22 hours
    * Dishwasher safe (and sized) racks
    * Water pan for pellet disposal
    * Temperature probe
    * Smartphone connection for control and monitoring
    * Room for a brisket, 3 racks of ribs or a 14lb pork shoulder
    About the size of a dorm fridge, I don't see this as being my next household appliance.
    List price $999.95
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1656 - January 5th, 2024, 10:29 am
    Post #1656 - January 5th, 2024, 10:29 am Post #1656 - January 5th, 2024, 10:29 am
    JoelF wrote:GE announces GE Profile Smart Indoor Smoker...List price $999.95
    Price is not completely out of line, comparable to roughly similar size CookShack, SmokinTex and Bradley smokers, and those don't have wifi. Of course, there are many fine electric smokers - Masterbuilt, etc - available for around $300. The separate oven/cook and smoke generator heat sources are a great idea. That eliminates the need to overdose the heat to get smoke rolling. I am working on plans to modify my little smoker to have the same. Many people use various arrangements, like mazes, for smoke generation with electric smokers. I wonder if the GE Profile has a cold smoke option to use for cheese among other things?

But I seriously doubt it will be possible to keep the house from smelling like a locker plant. For one thing, I can't imagine opening the door to turn, mop or check the food without letting a cloud of smoke loose.

The big disadvantage of these very small smokers, especially ones with a heating element on the bottom directly under the food, is that they don't work well for hanging foods like sausage, bacon or jerky. There isn't enough height in the cavity and the bottom of the hanging food is too close to the heat. Perhaps GE has solved the heat distribution/radiant problem if not the sheer height issue. From the description, it appears that they include some sort of convection fan too.
  • Post #1657 - May 12th, 2024, 4:30 pm
    Post #1657 - May 12th, 2024, 4:30 pm Post #1657 - May 12th, 2024, 4:30 pm
    For Mother's Day, made two Low and Slow Lesson 2 (using buttermilk brine) chickens. Two hours (over hardwood charcoal and Apple wood chunks) got the chicken breasts to 165, skin nicely rendered.

I haven't done buttermilk brine before, came out wonderfully juicy, but I think I'd up the spice a bit, maybe with a rub on and under the skin.

Got lots of leftovers, planning tacos, Cobb salad, etc this week.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1658 - May 12th, 2024, 4:51 pm
    Post #1658 - May 12th, 2024, 4:51 pm Post #1658 - May 12th, 2024, 4:51 pm
    JoelF wrote:For Mother's Day, made two Low and Slow Lesson 2 (using buttermilk brine) chickens. Two hours (over hardwood charcoal and Apple wood chunks) got the chicken breasts to 165, skin nicely rendered.

I haven't done buttermilk brine before, came out wonderfully juicy, but I think I'd up the spice a bit, maybe with a rub on and under the skin.

Got lots of leftovers, planning tacos, Cobb salad, etc this week.

I use a buttermilk brine most of the time when making chicken and have a few go-to additions: Franks Red Hot sauce and Strack’s house brand Buffalo Wing seasoning mix; the Chimichurri blend from Spice House; and a combo of Za’atar and Sumac from the middle eastern market near me. All are delicious.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #1659 - May 12th, 2024, 7:38 pm
    Post #1659 - May 12th, 2024, 7:38 pm Post #1659 - May 12th, 2024, 7:38 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:I use a buttermilk brine most of the time when making chicken and have a few go-to additions: Franks Red Hot sauce and Strack’s house brand Buffalo Wing seasoning mix; the Chimichurri blend from Spice House; and a combo of Za’atar and Sumac from the middle eastern market near me. All are delicious.

Good suggestions. Gary's recipe in L&S has just brown sugar, salt, and Old Bay, and mine was Really Old Bay, so I threw in a couple Tbs of my favorite sub+dried chili powder, but it's pretty mild.
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more