LTH Home

Kebache Sausage?

Kebache Sausage?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Kebache Sausage?

Post #1 - April 8th, 2008, 9:12 pm
    Post #1 - April 8th, 2008, 9:12 pm Post #1 - April 8th, 2008, 9:12 pm
    What exactly is this? a google search reveals a few results that direct it to be some kind of Bulgarian sausage. I picked up a package at harvest time foods because I was curious and have never had it before but there is barely anything about it on the internet except one result that they are "long thinnish spicy style sausages" from Bulgaria, these are thin and long but the info ends there.

HarvesTime
    2632 W Lawrence Ave
    Chicago, IL 60625
    (773) 989-4400
  • Post #2 - April 8th, 2008, 9:56 pm
    Post #2 - April 8th, 2008, 9:56 pm Post #2 - April 8th, 2008, 9:56 pm
    Transliterations of Bulgarian (and many other Slavic languages, particularly those written in Cyrillic) vary widely. My guess is that Kebache just means "sausage," and is not a placename or method of preparation. Kebasa, kubasa, kielbasa, and kovbas, all related and originally arising from Turkish, turn up elsewhere in the region.

I assume it was pork. How did it taste? Was it dried / cured, or raw?
  • Post #3 - April 8th, 2008, 10:03 pm
    Post #3 - April 8th, 2008, 10:03 pm Post #3 - April 8th, 2008, 10:03 pm
    Santander wrote:Transliterations of Bulgarian (and many other Slavic languages, particularly those written in Cyrillic) vary widely. My guess is that Kebache just means "sausage," and is not a placename or method of preparation. Kebasa, kubasa, kielbasa, and kovbas, all related and originally arising from Turkish, turn up elsewhere in the region.

I assume it was pork. How did it taste? Was it dried / cured, or raw?

Ya, I was thinking it might be a language translation thing or something. I also found a quote that claims they are beef and pork. I just bought them today they are raw and I can see different spices in them but couldnt tell what they are. l will report back when I cook them on the grill.
  • Post #4 - December 31st, 2008, 5:36 pm
    Post #4 - December 31st, 2008, 5:36 pm Post #4 - December 31st, 2008, 5:36 pm
    Bulgarian kebabche is like a raw sausage without casing, typically made of equal amounts of ground beef and pork. The most common spices used in kebabche are cumin, S&P. Sometimes finely chopped parsley could be added to the mix.

Unlike the Bulgarian "kufte" (meat patties, shaped like smaller but thicker hamburgers), kebabche doesn't have any onions. Also, unlike the Middle Eastern or Turkish kebabs, kebabche is not skewered when grilled.

Balkan Flavor usually carries frozen kebabcheta (plural for kebabche) that are quite tasty and pretty close to the ones you'll find in Bulgaria.

Balkan Flavor
    3752 W Montrose
    (773) 463-4757

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events